HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Youngsters Will Play Big Roles In Panthers' Future

Old
09-03-2010, 12:53 PM
Weiwuer

vCash: 500

http://panthers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=536851

Not really anything new, but a good read nevertheless.
Here are 2 interesting parts.

Quote:
It's one thing for experts and talking heads to sing the praises of Tallon for his work in Chicago and talk about how it can happen again now that he's the GM in Florida. It's another to hear it from the players themselves, who genuinely are excited about the future in the Sunshine State with Tallon at the helm.

"It's always a good thing," Markstrom said of Tallon running the show. "You see the Chicago Blackhawks, he did a great job over there picking up young kids, making great draft picks and they won the (Stanley) Cup this year. So hopefully he can do the same with the Florida Panthers."

"It absolutely does," said Gudbranson when asked if catching Tallon's eye gave him a boost of confidence. "When I went to the draft I was extremely excited to have the opportunity to potentially go to the Florida Panthers. That's where I wanted to go. I had an interview with them the day before the draft and told them you're my team. I want to go there and I want to play for you guys.

"You see what he did in Chicago, and why can't he do it in Florida? I really do believe in the next 5-6 years, maybe even earlier, that Florida can make a name for themselves."
Quote:
"To be where I got drafted, it's exactly where I wanted to go," Gudbranson said. "It's where I want to play. (Tallon) said this is the start of the rebuilding process. He said I'm going to be a big part of the team, which is a huge honor to be told that as a kid going into the National Hockey League.

"I think it's a team where we can do some damage in the future."

Weiwuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 01:22 PM
Boooooth10

Gotta love their attitudes.

Does anyone else have a huge man crush on Gudbranson? I know I do

Boooooth10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 01:32 PM
panthersfan751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boooooth10 View Post

Their attitudes right now definitely seem a lot better than that of the previous young core. These guys sound like they want to give 100%, they want to win, and they want to win for this team.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:

BIG time! Wanted him at the draft, was excited we drafted him, excited for his future!

09-03-2010, 02:11 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
"I think I can play in this League," Markstrom said. "Every day I want to go there and I want to practice hard and I want to be between the pipes instead of Vokoun. That's the goal. That's why I'm here. I want to play in the NHL. If that means I have to go down to Rochester for one year or play 10 games there, you just have to prove you deserve the chance. When you get the chance, you have to take them."
Wether he does it or not, I love the attitude there!

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 02:18 PM
billysbreakdown

vCash: 235
Omg I want Guds to have my kids...

billysbreakdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 02:30 PM
KWGoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
Their attitudes right now definitely seem a lot better than that of the previous young core. These guys sound like they want to give 100%, they want to win, and they want to win for this team.
What a difference a GM makes. Attitude is a huge factor. Bouw/Horton/some others could have made it but JM couldn't light the spark or the unity. I hope Weiss gets rewarded for his patience and loyalty.

KWGoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 04:07 PM
gizmo12688

vCash: 50
My first born's name is going to be Markstrom Gudbranson. Or Gudbranson Markstrom.

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 04:09 PM
Gudbranson44

i love their maturity level aswell as their competetive level. they both talk as if they're older than they are, and both seem really excited about being a part of this rebuild.

thank u martin for getting us markstrom, and thank you tallon for bringing your attitude to our team. we needed it

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 05:45 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisournextbure View Post
i love their maturity level aswell as their competetive level. they both talk as if they're older than they are, and both seem really excited about being a part of this rebuild.

thank u martin for getting us markstrom, and thank you tallon for bringing your attitude to our team. we needed it
I don't think you can truely thank Martin for picking Marstrom. Yes the pick came under his tenure, and the pick had been acquired in a trade that happened well well before draft day, but do you really believe Martin was the one pushing for us to take a Swedish goalie? Martin would never have seen Markstrom play at this point ; its all down to our scouts in this regards.

I still can't get a true handle on what Gudbranson's upside is, but you can't help but be impressed by how he presents himself. Certainly a member you'd want in a successful operation.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 02:52 AM
Weiwuer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarFLA View Post
He seems like a perfect guy.

The best part is the young guns know our rebuild is gonna take a while and are willing to stay focused and positive. The Tallon effect ftw.

Old
09-04-2010, 06:10 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarFLA View Post
What the ****?

But great attitude, future is bright.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 07:48 AM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
Doesn't every prospect get told this by every GM? Doesn't every prospect have a similar response? Remember when Horton got drafted exactly where he wanted to be? Typical sports interview snippets.

CatscratchFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 07:51 AM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
I like hearing a young goaltender coming out and saying he wants to be in net instead of the current tender. Shows some stones.

Not just saying, "I want to play."

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 08:20 AM
Weiwuer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatscratchFever View Post
Doesn't every prospect get told this by every GM? Doesn't every prospect have a similar response? Remember when Horton got drafted exactly where he wanted to be? Typical sports interview snippets.
Tallon is the difference. They saw what he had done with Chicago.

Old
09-04-2010, 11:44 AM
FinlandPanther

Quote:
well the thing is with gudbranson i can actually believe it. he never struck me as a money/ego player. the kid oozes character and he will be playing with us his whole career if he develops and turns into a captain like we want him to. markstrom also seems like the person who plays for his team no matter what considering he was happy with brynas....

FinlandPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 02:40 PM
Erick

I'm really liking Markstrom's quotes.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 10:15 PM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandPanther View Post
well the thing is with gudbranson i can actually believe it. he never struck me as a money/ego player. the kid oozes character and he will be playing with us his whole career if he develops and turns into a captain like we want him to. markstrom also seems like the person who plays for his team no matter what considering he was happy with brynas....
Anything about Gudbranson signing with Panthers? I believe #1 & #2 draft choices signed already with their teams.

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 12:31 AM
Gudbranson44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jol View Post
Anything about Gudbranson signing with Panthers? I believe #1 & #2 draft choices signed already with their teams.

JOL
i think it wont happen until training camp IF he makes the roster.. If he doesnt make it, they dont sign him this year and we save a year so he turns UFA a year later.

there's no need to rush things this year

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 06:19 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisournextbure View Post
i think it wont happen until training camp IF he makes the roster.. If he doesnt make it, they dont sign him this year and we save a year so he turns UFA a year later.

there's no need to rush things this year
They can still sign him now and so long as he doesnt play more than 9 games, this yr wouldnt count and save that yr towards his contract. Signing him now or next yr doesnt change that fact really.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 08:46 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Quote:

YES

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 01:56 PM
Sports24-7

Quote:
It's not just these quotes though. In every interview the kid comes off as a natural leader, and a guy you want on your team.

Sports24-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 09:03 AM
Super Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo12688 View Post
My first born's name is going to be Markstrom Gudbranson. Or Gudbranson Markstrom.
ha ha that would be pretty nice...though non panther fans would not get the reference. Also what if the unthinkable happens and these two totally suck it up? then you kid would be named after two bums

also, did you check with your significant other first? might not be too impressed with your idea

Super Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 09:07 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Future, future, future...

Is that 1972 Dolphins sale going to be good in the future?

..what about the present? Puck drops less than a month from now.( I love typing that)
All these guys we have to gush over might not be anywhere near us mileage wise...and then there's Booth (w/o protection...Peters? heh ok)

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote