HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Training Camp 2010

Old
09-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Holy Jokinen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Thanks for all the pics. What is that second to last photo? Is that Gud, and is he hurt or winded or signing an autograph? lol. I can't tell.
From how it was laid oot, it looks like that was probably the last autograph before he headed back onto the ice to leave through the other side.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
Alright, just got back from the rookie camp. Let's just say, it ruled. Unfortunately, i didn't have access to the roster for a while, so i couldn't tell who was who other than the major guys (Markstrom, Guds, Petrovic and Macfarland).

I couldn't take my eyes off Markstrom. The kid is insane. His elbows are above the crossbar when he's in the net standing up. It was just a delight to watch him work. I told how excited everyone is for him to get to the NHL and he said "Yeah me too, definitely" and then he got this smile on his face and you could tell he couldn't wipe it off.

Guds looked good. I got to watch him a lot since i was on the side of the ice where they did a bunch of D drills. Honestly, he didn't impress me a TON but he didn't look winded or anything. But when he signed my hat he was the least talkative, which surprised me. Everyone, literally everyone else (except dadonov) at least said hey if not had a small convo with me. Guds didn't take the bait when i asked how he was or whatever. So take that for what it's worth. Oh, and also, Guds has the whole Patrick Kane mouthpiece thing going on.

I thought A.J Jenks was impressive. Kid has a good shot, good speed, etc..

Robak has a booming shot, was really a sight to see.

I couldn't tell which the other goalies was Foster or Cheverie cause they didn't have numbers, but one of them (i assume Cheverie) had really great rebound control. There was a drill where a bunch of shots from the point were coming in and he turned them all nicely to he corner or into the netting.

MacFarland looked pretty good. He looked smaller than i expected, but he was skating hard and had a few moments where Hulton would talk with him in the middle of the drill. He seemed to work hard, which is good to see. Also, i remember someone commenting that MacFarland had a bad personality, or had been a dick in the past, but i just wanna say that he was one of the nicest guys when they all came to sign autographs and whatnot. Again, take it for what it's worth.

That's really all the notables i have right now. Some of the guys had numbers that didn't correspond with the roster sheet, so that was unfortunate. But yeah, i'm psyched for Markstrom for sure. Also pretty pumped i got everyone's autograph and had conversations with just about everyone.

One of the guys, i think it was Chris Clackson, asked where i was from, so thinking this was some canadian who doesn't know anything about florida i just said "from around here." He responded, "Oh Coral Springs?" So i clarified that i was from Boca and he said that he was from West Palm Beach. So that was cool.

So, i'm adding the pics to my comp now, and once i get them on there and clean them up, i'll post them or a link or something.
Was he the taller one or the shorter one?

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 12:18 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
From how it was laid oot, it looks like that was probably the last autograph before he headed back onto the ice to leave through the other side.
OK, thanks.

Old
09-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Boooooth10

Yeah, it's Gud. He was talking to some reporters after signing autographs. He didn't seem hurt or anything to me. Maybe he was losing his balance while I took the pic lol.

Boooooth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 12:28 PM
Great8Cam

Cheverie is #30

Great8Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Was he the taller one or the shorter one?
I really don't remember, to be honest. They didn't seem to have any noticeable size difference, of course, compared to Maelstrom, they both just seem tiny.

I'll have to look at the pics i have and see which one it was. The pics should be up later today. It's my dad's camera, and it's all fancy and junk, so it takes a while to upload the pics, and he likes to clean them up and stuff....

Old
09-12-2010, 12:33 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
I really don't remember, to be honest. They didn't seem to have any noticeable size difference, of course, compared to Maelstrom, they both just seem tiny.

I'll have to look at the pics i have and see which one it was. The pics should be up later today. It's my dad's camera, and it's all fancy and junk, so it takes a while to upload the pics, and he likes to clean them up and stuff....
LOL Maelstrom, awesome.

Old
09-12-2010, 01:12 PM
Gudbranson44

im sure the reason why guds wasnt talkative was because he felt he could have done a lot better (like many of u have said he wasnt anything special...). I like that to be honest! good character, a real fighter he gets a little pissed after a bad practice!

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 04:45 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

vCash: 50
What time is everything goin on tomorrow?

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 05:17 PM
vektorious

Alright, finished the Erik Gudbranson Rookie Camp video...enjoy...After watching through a lot of my footage, I am a little bit concerned with Gudbranson's conditioning. He was a lot more winded than the other players during drills...Remember he did have a short season last year because of mono so that may be contributing to that. Enjoy the video guys.

vektorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 05:32 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Thanx again Cliff. Great stuff!

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 05:56 PM
PanthersRule96

I think all this talk about Gud is a little overkill. The kid seems like a nice guy and is relatively well-spoken when compared to the average hockey player but that doesn't mean he's going to be a superstar defenseman. Let's not lose sight of the fact that he's not an elite prospect. He's a very good prospect in the big picture of things who has the potential to be a very solid dman at the NHL level, perhaps a #1 or #2 dman, but he's not at the same level Bouwmeester or other young defensive prodigies (Doughty, etc.) were at that age. It is what it is; if he didn't have a great practice, there aren't any excuses for him. Whether he had mono or not is irrelevant because he had all summer to train and get himself up to par (at the same time believe me, I know how mono can affect you several months out after having it).

It's important not to get carried away with expectations for this kid. He's probably going to go back to juniors for another year and he should dominate down there before coming in and challenging for a spot next season. I know it's HFBoards but I swear if we had a schedule of how often Gud goes to the bathroom, it'd be picked apart to death on here lol.

Btw thanks for the videos and observations; they were much enjoyed!

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 06:03 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by vektorious View Post
Alright, finished the Erik Gudbranson Rookie Camp video...enjoy...After watching through a lot of my footage, I am a little bit concerned with Gudbranson's conditioning. He was a lot more winded than the other players during drills...Remember he did have a short season last year because of mono so that may be contributing to that. Enjoy the video guys.

Great work, thanks. Yeah, he had a shortened season and also had to fight coming back from mono. Then, he had a busy summer, with the Canada WJC evaluation camp, the rookie card photo shoot and exhibition game, his preseason practices and games with Kingston, and then now at Panthers camp. He might be a little burnt out right now. This camp is a higher pace than any other one he's been to this summer. As others have said he's probably just struggling to keep up to the speed right now. It's not a long term concern IMO. He's a great conditioned player when he's on top of his game, he'll get back there it'll just take him a couple months. He was actually still pretty good when he came back from mono IMO, even better in some respects than he was before I think. That just shows you the guts this kid has. IMO he was Kingston's best player in the end of the season/playoffs along with Taylor Doherty.

Old
09-12-2010, 06:50 PM
Parise9Crosby87

i was there too

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 06:50 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Great work, thanks. Yeah, he had a shortened season and also had to fight coming back from mono. Then, he had a busy summer, with the Canada WJC evaluation camp, the rookie card photo shoot and exhibition game, his preseason practices and games with Kingston, and then now at Panthers camp. He might be a little burnt out right now. This camp is a higher pace than any other one he's been to this summer. As others have said he's probably just struggling to keep up to the speed right now. It's not a long term concern IMO. He's a great conditioned player when he's on top of his game, he'll get back there it'll just take him a couple months. He was actually still pretty good when he came back from mono IMO, even better in some respects than he was before I think. That just shows you the guts this kid has. IMO he was Kingston's best player in the end of the season/playoffs along with Taylor Doherty.
I understand you mentioning the WJC camp and all that because a lot of hockey over the summer can certainly burn you out, but rookie card shoot/PR appearances? Those should be fun and relaxing and should be getting him even more hyped up to go all out in camp for the NHL. He plays hockey for a living and it's not like he played a full season last year, then went to the mem cup, then to NHL summer camps/WJC/World championships like some guys (Taylor Hall). Either way, it's one day of camp, rookie camp. I really don't think it's that significant in the big picture of things. He'll be fine.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 07:00 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
I understand you mentioning the WJC camp and all that because a lot of hockey over the summer can certainly burn you out, but rookie card shoot/PR appearances? Those should be fun and relaxing and should be getting him even more hyped up to go all out in camp for the NHL. He plays hockey for a living and it's not like he played a full season last year, then went to the mem cup, then to NHL summer camps/WJC/World championships like some guys (Taylor Hall). Either way, it's one day of camp, rookie camp. I really don't think it's that significant in the big picture of things. He'll be fine.
Well it's not the photo shoot I was really talking about, they played an exhibition game too between all the prospects. Even that isn't severe or anything, my point was just that everything combined was a busy summer for him. What he's gone through is basically the same as what Taylor Hall's gone through, in a different way. He was on the other end of the spectrum. He only played 41 games and had to battle back from mono, so his conditioning is not up to the level that someone who played a full season's is at. For him, going through what he went through this summer is a lot. For someone who didn't get injured and didn't miss any games last year, it wouldn't be.

I agree that it's not significant. This could just be one more thing that shows he's not ready this year and another year of junior is what's best for him. Which is OK, he's only 18.

Old
09-12-2010, 08:28 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudbransson4Prez View Post
What time is everything goin on tomorrow?
Anybody?

Old
09-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudbransson4Prez View Post
Anybody?
Code:
2010 TRAINING CAMP SCHEDULE
Sept. 12-14  Rookie camp: daily practices: 9 a.m.  11 a.m. (on-ice followed by off-ice workouts)
Sept. 15  Florida rookies vs. Nashville rookies: 7 p.m.
Sept. 16  Florida rookies vs. Nashville rookies: Noon
Sept. 18  Practice: 9 a.m.  Noon.
Sept. 19  Practice: 1 p.m  1:45 p.m.; Intra-Squad scrimmage: 2 p.m.
Sept. 20  Practice: 9 a.m.  Noon
Sept. 21  Morning Skate:  11 a.m.  11:45 a.m at Saveology.com IcePlex.;
Depart for Carolina: 1:30 p.m.; Game in Carolina: 7 p.m.
Sept. 22  Practice: 10 a.m.  1 p.m. in Rochester
Sept. 23  Morning Skate: 10:30-11:30 a.m. in Rochester; Game in Rochester vs. Boston 7 p.m.
Sept. 24  Practice: 10 a.m.  1 p.m. in Boston
Sept. 25  Morning Skate: 11:30 a.m.  12:30 p.m. in Boston; Game in Boston 7 p.m.
Sept. 26  Practice in Montreal: 10 a.m.  1 p.m.
Sept. 27  Morning Skate: 11:30 a.m.  12:30 p.m.; Game in Montreal 7:30 p.m.
Sept. 28  Day Off
Sept. 29  Morning Skate: 10:15-11:15 a.m. at BankAtlantic Center; Game vs. Carolina 7:30 p.m.
Sept. 30  Practice: 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
Oct. 1  Morning Skate: 10:15-11:15 a.m. at BankAtlantic Center;
Game vs. Tampa Bay 7:30 p.m.
Oct. 2  Morning Skate: 10:30-11:30 a.m. at Saveology.com IcePlex;
Depart for Tampa Bay: 3 p.m.; Game in Tampa Bay 7 p.m.
Oct. 3  Practice: 10 a.m.  1 p.m.
Oct. 4  Practice: 10 a.m.  Noon; Face-Off Luncheon at Heron Bay Marriott: 12:30 p.m.
Oct. 5  Practice: 10 a.m.  1 p.m.
Oct. 6  Practice: 10 a.m.  1 p.m.
Oct. 7  Practice: 10 a.m.  1 p.m.
Oct. 8  Practice: 10 a.m.  1 p.m.; Depart for Edmonton 1 p.m.
Oct. 9  Practice: 12:30 p.m.  2:30 p.m. in Edmonton
Oct. 10  First regular season game: Florida at Edmonton at 8 p.m.

Old
09-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Awesome, thanks!!

Old
09-13-2010, 02:26 PM
Parise9Crosby87

Does anyone know if the scrimmage vs predators is at incredible ice/iceplex and is it free.

Old
09-13-2010, 02:37 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
I think all this talk about Gud is a little overkill. The kid seems like a nice guy and is relatively well-spoken when compared to the average hockey player but that doesn't mean he's going to be a superstar defenseman. Let's not lose sight of the fact that he's not an elite prospect. He's a very good prospect in the big picture of things who has the potential to be a very solid dman at the NHL level, perhaps a #1 or #2 dman, but he's not at the same level Bouwmeester or other young defensive prodigies (Doughty, etc.) were at that age. It is what it is; if he didn't have a great practice, there aren't any excuses for him. Whether he had mono or not is irrelevant because he had all summer to train and get himself up to par (at the same time believe me, I know how mono can affect you several months out after having it).

It's important not to get carried away with expectations for this kid. He's probably going to go back to juniors for another year and he should dominate down there before coming in and challenging for a spot next season. I know it's HFBoards but I swear if we had a schedule of how often Gud goes to the bathroom, it'd be picked apart to death on here lol.

Btw thanks for the videos and observations; they were much enjoyed!

You make it sound as if there was a huge gap in the level of talent in this years draft between 1/2 and 3. This is after all the third overall pick in a draft! There are some high expectations i would assume.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 02:48 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersflames1 View Post
You make it sound as if there was a huge gap in the level of talent in this years draft between 1/2 and 3. This is after all the third overall pick in a draft! There are some high expectations i would assume.
There certainly was. That's what all the experts were saying. There are high expectations certainly, but aside from Hall and Seguin none of those kids are expected to play in the NHL this year.

Old
09-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
There certainly was. That's what all the experts were saying. There are high expectations certainly, but aside from Hall and Seguin none of those kids are expected to play in the NHL this year.
Actually, I recall talk at the draft that even Seguin had a good chance of being returned to juniors by the analysts expectations, though that remains to be seen.

09-13-2010, 04:49 PM
Boooooth10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parise9Crosby87 View Post
Does anyone know if the scrimmage vs predators is at incredible ice/iceplex and is it free.
Yeah it's at II and it will be free, but they suggest you bring $5 I think for charity.

Boooooth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:09 PM
Parise9Crosby87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boooooth10 View Post
Yeah it's at II and it will be free, but they suggest you bring $5 I think for charity.
yeah man i went on sunday and they had bunch of things going on