HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Training Camp 2010

Old
09-18-2010, 06:24 PM
Boooooth10

vCash: 500
Wait... Arnason over Jenks? Wtf

Boooooth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 06:45 PM
Holy Jokinen

My dad was there today and sent me a few texts...

Mainly, he said McCabe looked completely different. He was roughing guys up all over the place and really initiating the young kids. So that's cool.

He also said Frolik was the last guy to get off the ice.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 07:42 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
I like that there seems to be a lot of energy at the start of camp, and hopefully with not having to do a ridiculous pre season it can put us into a good situation of having some energy and getting off to a good start when the season rolls around.

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 12:12 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boooooth10 View Post
Wait... Arnason over Jenks? Wtf
Jenks couldn't even cut it to get to the main camp, so hopefully he's ticketed for the ECHL. You can't cut a prospect before training camp even starts and then justify him being on your AHL roster. Same goes for Selleck and Calla. They are ECHL material to start.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 03:50 AM
Loving The Bitz

It is going to be real interesting to see who has chemistry with who and there are at least a few lines that are definitely triggering my interest! I really like the line of GSB line and I have no doubts that it'll be one of those fast and furious lines with the legs of both Santorelli and Grabner! Anyone going to the scrimmage tommorow? Just want to make sure we get our fair share of updates! Also, if anyone didn't see it GR has a good piece on Olesz and how this is pretty much his season to prove himself. Not really anything you didn't know before but it does seem that the staff pushing him is helping as he has apparently been playing with an edge!

Loving The Bitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 09:59 AM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
Jenks couldn't even cut it to get to the main camp, so hopefully he's ticketed for the ECHL. You can't cut a prospect before training camp even starts and then justify him being on your AHL roster. Same goes for Selleck and Calla. They are ECHL material to start.
There's no way Jenks is in the ECHL. He's definitely good enough to be a bottom 6 guy on an AHL team. We have a lot of depth(quality 2nd and 3rd liners) and good prospects, that's why he didn't make the cut. But he'll be in Rochester, you can bank on that. I'd be pretty willing to bet on Selleck being there too, even if it's just as a depth guy.

Another thing with Jenks is they know he needs 2-3 years in the AHL for his offense to come into shape. He's not capable of "surprising" and earning an NHL job in camp at this point like some other guys are. He's a slow and steady guy, he'll be an NHLer but it's going to take awhile.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 10:35 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
There's no way Jenks is in the ECHL. He's definitely good enough to be a bottom 6 guy on an AHL team. We have a lot of depth(quality 2nd and 3rd liners) and good prospects, that's why he didn't make the cut. But he'll be in Rochester, you can bank on that. I'd be pretty willing to bet on Selleck being there too, even if it's just as a depth guy.

Another thing with Jenks is they know he needs 2-3 years in the AHL for his offense to come into shape. He's not capable of "surprising" and earning an NHL job in camp at this point like some other guys are. He's a slow and steady guy, he'll be an NHLer but it's going to take awhile.
Sorry, if he's such a good prospect and AHL worthy, he would have at least made it to the main camp. He should start in the ECHL, and if he earns a call up with his play, then more power to him.

Old
09-19-2010, 10:37 AM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
Sorry, if he's such a good prospect and AHL worthy, he would have at least made it to the main camp. He should start in the ECHL, and if he earns a call up with his play, then more power to him.
Like every AHL prospect makes the cut to the main camp? I don't get your reasoning.

Old
09-19-2010, 10:49 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Like every AHL prospect makes the cut to the main camp? I don't get your reasoning.
My reasoning is how do you justify a player to be on an AHL roster when he gets cut before the NHL training camp even starts? He's not an invitee, he's not a player on an AHL only contract. He's a Florida Panthers draft pick that got cut before their camp even starts. This usually happens to guys heading back to juniors.

Old
09-19-2010, 10:53 AM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
My reasoning is how do you justify a player to be on an AHL roster when he gets cut before the NHL training camp even starts? He's not an invitee, he's not a player on an AHL only contract. He's a Florida Panthers draft pick that got cut before their camp even starts. This usually happens to guys heading back to juniors.
Not really, it's happened plenty of times before. We don't need 60 players in our training camp, that's why he and some other guys were not invited. Have you seen our training camp roster? We have more guys than we need already. Like I said, I gave you the reasons, you chose to gloss over them. You can bet he'll make Rochester though.

Old
09-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Holy Jokinen

Just for the sake of saying it, Jenks looked great on the first day of rookie camp. Definitely stood out to me. That being said, i don't think he really had a chance to make the NHL with all of the guys ahead of him on the depth chart. But he's definitely not ECHL material judging by what i saw. Given that was just one day, but he stood out for sure.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 11:04 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Not really, it's happened plenty of times before. We don't need 60 players in our training camp, that's why he and some other guys were not invited. Have you seen our training camp roster? We have more guys than we need already. Like I said, I gave you the reasons, you chose to gloss over them. You can bet he'll make Rochester though.
When has it happened before? I don't remember that ever happening, at least with the Amerks. Nobody said anything about 60 guys, but the reality is if he was good enough in rookie camp and they thought highly enough of him, he would have made it to camp.

Old
09-19-2010, 11:14 AM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
When has it happened before? I don't remember that ever happening, at least with the Amerks. Nobody said anything about 60 guys, but the reality is if he was good enough in rookie camp and they thought highly enough of him, he would have made it to camp.
Are you kidding me? You're really saying it's never happened before with any AHL team? We do have a ton of guys in camp already, that's the reality. He didn't make it to camp because 13 other guys were better than him, that's also the reality. That doesn't mean he's an ECHLer, it just means we have 13 very impressive prospects ahead of him. We aren't going on a massive expedition for training camp and preseason like we've done for the past 5 years, that's why we don't need to invite 20-25 prospects this year. That might be why you also don't remember it happening with the Amerks as long as the Panthers have been affiliated with them.

If Jenks and Selleck are ECHLer's, then who the heck is going to play forward for the Amerks, I ask you.

Old
09-19-2010, 11:39 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Are you kidding me? You're really saying it's never happened before with any AHL team? We do have a ton of guys in camp already, that's the reality. He didn't make it to camp because 13 other guys were better than him, that's also the reality. That doesn't mean he's an ECHLer, it just means we have 13 very impressive prospects ahead of him. We aren't going on a massive expedition for training camp and preseason like we've done for the past 5 years, that's why we don't need to invite 20-25 prospects this year. That might be why you also don't remember it happening with the Amerks as long as the Panthers have been affiliated with them.

If Jenks and Selleck are ECHLer's, then who the heck is going to play forward for the Amerks, I ask you.
Good question. The Amerks don't exactly have a lot of forwards. So you are probably right in that he will start with the Amerks, although I disagree with it completely. I also don't agree with a D3 player making the jump straight to the AHL. And I've watched Brady Calla enough to know he's not AHL material either. At least Selleck and Calla should be in Cincinnati.

Old
09-19-2010, 11:56 AM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
Good question. The Amerks don't exactly have a lot of forwards. So you are probably right in that he will start with the Amerks, although I disagree with it completely. I also don't agree with a D3 player making the jump straight to the AHL. And I've watched Brady Calla enough to know he's not AHL material either. At least Selleck and Calla should be in Cincinnati.
Calla is an ECHLer, although he may earn a spot in camp as an extra forward. Selleck may be in the ECHL, but I'd give him an 85% chance of being in Rochester. I mean, it depends on how many forward Florida signs between now and Amerks camp, and whoever Roch. brings in for camp. I'd bet on him being at least a 12/13 forward for Rochester though, if not better.

Old
09-19-2010, 12:01 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Calla is an ECHLer, although he may earn a spot in camp as an extra forward. Selleck may be in the ECHL, but I'd give him an 85% chance of being in Rochester. I mean, it depends on how many forward Florida signs between now and Amerks camp, and whoever Roch. brings in for camp. I'd bet on him being at least a 12/13 forward for Rochester though, if not better.
What's the point of having an ECHL affiliate? I never understood this. It's a good league. Utilize it. Not all prospects are AHL ready straight out of juniors. There's no reason to force feed someone ice time with an AHL team if they aren't ready.

Old
09-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
What's the point of having an ECHL affiliate? I never understood this. It's a good league. Utilize it. Not all prospects are AHL ready straight out of juniors. There's no reason to force feed someone ice time with an AHL team if they aren't ready.
I understand it perfectly. We are going to have 2 goalies, most likely Cheverie and Foster both in net for Cinci, and one of the d-men(Kostka, Hudson, or Comrie). Plus, Calla will most likely be there as a forward. How many teams have more than 4 of their own prospects there? That's plenty of prescence. Not all prospects need to play in the ECHL, for some it's a pointless exercise. They are better served even as 4th liners in the AHL. You think Selleck and Jenks aren't AHL ready, I do. We are definitely utilizing our ECHL affiliate though.

Old
09-19-2010, 02:43 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Guys that I thought had a good scrimmage today: Grabner, Santorelli, Higgins, Duco and Garrison. I dont think anyone stood out other than those guys IMO. I really liked the speed of Grabner and Higgins was playing a good 2-way style. Grabner scored on a penalty shot and Higgins scored late on a nice pass from Stillman. Santorelli was just creating chances whenever his line was out there and Duco was his usual self hitting everything that moved. Garrison looks like a veteran now and I thought he played very well.

Frolik went down briefly with what looked like a wrist injury but only missed a few shifts at most. After the scrimmage, he said he was fine and he scored a goal later after he went down so no worries there. I actually thought he played better after he moved to a line with Repik and Arnason TBH. I was kinda surprised that Howden replaced Frolik on the top line with Booth & Weiss but he didnt really do anything.

From what I saw of Gudbranson, he looked decent to me but not quite 100% NHL-ready to me. He had some good plays though on defense blocking a few shots and breaking up passing plays but didnt quite stand out enough to earn a spot.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 03:12 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Guys that I thought had a good scrimmage today: Grabner, Santorelli, Higgins, Duco and Garrison. I dont think anyone stood out other than those guys IMO. I really liked the speed of Grabner and Higgins was playing a good 2-way style. Grabner scored on a penalty shot and Higgins scored late on a nice pass from Stillman. Santorelli was just creating chances whenever his line was out there and Duco was his usual self hitting everything that moved. Garrison looks like a veteran now and I thought he played very well.

Frolik went down briefly with what looked like a wrist injury but only missed a few shifts at most. After the scrimmage, he said he was fine and he scored a goal later after he went down so no worries there. I actually thought he played better after he moved to a line with Repik and Arnason TBH. I was kinda surprised that Howden replaced Frolik on the top line with Booth & Weiss but he didnt really do anything.

From what I saw of Gudbranson, he looked decent to me but not quite 100% NHL-ready to me. He had some good plays though on defense blocking a few shots and breaking up passing plays but didnt quite stand out enough to earn a spot.
How did Arnason look? And Foster?

Old
09-19-2010, 03:19 PM
Shockley
Go Cats Go!

vCash: 498
just got back from the scrimmage... Grabner really stuckout to me.. he has some Serious Wheels!!!!

Shockley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 03:20 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
How did Arnason look? And Foster?
Surprisingly, Arnason didnt look half bad. I could see him being in Rochester in a top 6 role and the first callup in case of injury. Didnt notice Foster at all but I dont think he was out there that much.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 03:25 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Surprisingly, Arnason didnt look half bad. I could see him being in Rochester in a top 6 role and the first callup in case of injury. Didnt notice Foster at all but I dont think he was out there that much.
Considering Cullen could be out for a while, they do need a replacement so maybe that could be Arnason.

Old
09-19-2010, 03:35 PM
Loving The Bitz

How was Bernier? I know his linemates Santorelli and Grabner were both doing a bunch of good stuff but I haven't heard much about him and it could just be he wasn't that noticeable but I would love to hear any points you guys had about him! And what do you think are the chances Santorelli possibly beats someone out for a fourth line position? Not saying it will happen but DeBoer seemed to like him even though he seemed to like a lot of guys. And does anyone have updates on Kulikov? Heard he came off the ice limping but did it look too serious?

Old
09-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Shockley
Go Cats Go!

vCash: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loving The Bitz View Post
How was Bernier? I know his linemates Santorelli and Grabner were both doing a bunch of good stuff but I haven't heard much about him and it could just be he wasn't that noticeable but I would love to hear any points you guys had about him! And what do you think are the chances Santorelli possibly beats someone out for a fourth line position? Not saying it will happen but DeBoer seemed to like him even though he seemed to like a lot of guys. And does anyone have updates on Kulikov? Heard he came off the ice limping but did it look too serious?
Didnt keep my eye on Bernier.
but i watched Kuli come off the ice and saw him walk for about a hundred yard to the locker room. Didnt look to serious, but you could tell he was NOT happy.

Shockley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 04:14 PM
Loving The Bitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlaPanthers View Post
Didnt keep my eye on Bernier.
but i watched Kuli come off the ice and saw him walk for about a hundred yard to the locker room. Didnt look to serious, but you could tell he was NOT happy.
Yeah, have read something from Gorten saying that it was just dinged and that it was nothing too serious! Just some more notes; Higgins was apparently doing quite well for himself and seems to be the net presence we need! He scored two of his teams three goals and both of them were deflections and rebounds in front of the net which sounds promising! Markstrom was supposedly looking much better than he had in the prospect games which is always good. And speaking of the edgy Olesz! He set up Reinprecht for his goal and was even on a breakaway that ended up being kicked away by Markstrom. Anything else? Oh and Booth was apparently not showing any side effects from his concussion which was definitely possible and apparently he is in great condition! Just a few updates for some of you guys, nothing much.