HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Erik Cole

Old
08-29-2010, 07:46 PM
NHLFreak

vCash: 500
Erik Cole

What line will play on this season and what are your projections. Are there those who think hes done?

NHLFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 08:22 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
He'll start on one of the top two lines... will have a great first game of the season, gets injured in the second game... won't be back until Christmas... float around the rest of the season.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 08:46 PM
Wolfpuck
Dreamy Defense

I think he'll settle in on the third line.

I think the top two lines will be something like this:

LaRose - Staal - Jokinen
Tlusty? - Sutter - Ruutu

I don't think Cole will take top 6 minutes away from someone younger and more likely to produce offensively. Maybe if he has a strong start, he'll crack the top 6. Like so much with this team, a lot of it depends on injuries.

Last edited by Wolfpuck: 08-29-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Wolfpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 09:12 PM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

I would rather have Cole on the first line than Chad LaRose, that is for damn sure

WhiteTrashAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 09:14 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
go perds

I think that he could be somewhat productive playing out of a 3rd line role, perhaps 15-20 goal range if healthy all year.

I personally don't think he should be in the top 6 to start the year, these are the top 2 lines I'm HOPING will happen:

Larose - Staal - Jokinen
Boychuk - Sutter - Ruutu

of course, it'll likely be either Tlusty or Cole there instead of Boychuk. However, if Cole starts the year in the top 6, and plays well the first couple of games, he'll likely stay there for awhile (aka until he gets hurt).

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 09:18 PM
semin4captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloveSave View Post
I would rather have Cole on the first line than Chad LaRose, that is for damn sure
Why? At least the Hurricanes can maintain possession of the puck for more than five seconds with Chad LaRose on the ice as he does not instantly turn it over trying his one move.

And if you look solely at even strength points, Cole has 44 in in 120 games over the last two seasons while LaRose has 55 in 137. Both are terrible options that belong nowhere near a first line, but it's sad to say that Cole may be a worse option than LaRose at this point.

I'd rather have any forward on the team on the first line than Cole. He brings nothing to the ice.

semin4captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 09:36 PM
Caniac4ever

vCash: 8074
Quote:
And I would put LaRose with Staal every day instead of Cole if it was me. Guess we just see Cole differently. I realize Chad isn't a 1st line player, but in the recent past (last home game of the season) he has shown some good chemistry with Staal. IMO, it has been back before Cole's Edmonton days since he's done anything with Staal.

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 09:42 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Cole is still a valuable asset when he is healthy, that is for sure. Much more valuable than he is being given credit for here. The way some folks speak, you would think he was a league minimum quality plug and not a legit candidate for a 20-20 season, if not better.

Cole's game, and the game of most disturbers, is to create room for better players. With his speed, his grit, and his tenacity when he's healthy enough to play that style he is a highly effective forward. When he's not, and he hasn't been more than he has the past two years, then he's not a very good player.

With that said, he should be healthy to start the season. And as such, he should be in the Top 6 until he proves he doesn't belong there. With other options likely being Samsonov and Tlusty, I would have Cole there ahead of either.

I don't think Larose is a realistic candidate to stay on Staal's line for any length of time.

Plus, a contract year for Cole could mean good things for him.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 09:46 PM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Cole is still a valuable asset when he is healthy, that is for sure. Much more valuable than he is being given credit for here. The way some folks speak, you would think he was a league minimum quality plug and not a legit candidate for a 20-20 season, if not better.

Cole's game, and the game of most disturbers, is to create room for better players. With his speed, his grit, and his tenacity when he's healthy enough to play that style he is a highly effective forward. When he's not, and he hasn't been more than he has the past two years, then he's not a very good player.

With that said, he should be healthy to start the season. And as such, he should be in the Top 6 until he proves he doesn't belong there. With other options likely being Samsonov and Tlusty, I would have Cole there ahead of either.

I don't think Larose is a realistic candidate to stay on Staal's line for any length of time.

Plus, a contract year for Cole could mean good things for him.
I agree, if nothing else Cole can still skate fast as hell. That doesn't mean I like him, I just feel he would fit better there.

WhiteTrashAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

vCash: 50
Agree on the Cole front. I have a feeling he'll have a solid year if he can stay healthy. I don't think 20-25 goals, 20-30 assists are out of question, to be honest. I have liked how Erik has stepped up and taken over Camp Brind'Amour with LaRose, I think Cole could play a big role in helping the kids adjust to the NHL game. Aside from that, I think if he's healthy he can be an asset both for his speed and physical game aswell as on the scoresheet. He should be one of the veterans who is relied on heavily this season, both on and off the ice. It's up to him whether he steps up and also (key factor), is able to stay healthy.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 10:35 AM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Agree on the Cole front. I have a feeling he'll have a solid year if he can stay healthy. I don't think 20-25 goals, 20-30 assists are out of question, to be honest. I have liked how Erik has stepped up and taken over Camp Brind'Amour with LaRose, I think Cole could play a big role in helping the kids adjust to the NHL game. Aside from that, I think if he's healthy he can be an asset both for his speed and physical game aswell as on the scoresheet. He should be one of the veterans who is relied on heavily this season, both on and off the ice. It's up to him whether he steps up and also (key factor), is able to stay healthy.
ChuckW is pleased.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 10:44 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
I agree, if nothing else Cole can still skate fast as hell. That doesn't mean I like him, I just feel he would fit better there.
Unfortunately, I have to agree with Anton on this one. If you look back to last summer's posts, I thought Cole would have a strong season and compliment Staal for some of the reasons people are mentioning here. I just don't see it any more.

1) He tries one of 2 moves every time he skates into the zone. Either lower his shoulder and drive wide then cut to the net or he tries some sort of pull move at the blue line. In the first case, he isn't strong enough / fast enough any longer and defensemen typically just ride him wide into the boards. In the latter, the defensemen know that move is coming and the majority of the time it is a turn-over with momentum going the other way. He kills any sort of puck possession.

2) I understand what Vagrant says re: his job is to create space with his speed, grit and tenacity. But I really wonder how much of that he has left in him (even if he is healthy). Maybe it was his health, maybe he is a little gun shy after his neck injury, but I just don't see him paying the price any longer and playing with quite the tenacity that he did before his injury.

3) Staal does this too, but I absolutely HATE how lazy Cole is in the backcheck and how he loafs it back to the bench during a line change. Cole is the worst when it comes to this.

4) Lastly, the "if he stays healthy" is a key point. The problem as I see it is the type of game he has to play (aggressive, fast, physical, with some reckless abandon, etc..) isn't conducive to his body staying healthy. The older he gets and the more injuries he sustains, the harder it is for him to play this style of game and stay healthy.

I hope I am dead wrong on Cole and because of the contract year, the AS game, etc.. and he plays great. God knows we need someone to step up.

When it comes to a 1st line winger, unfortunately we don't have much of a choice. Cole and LaRose are both bad options IMO. I'm not worried who starts there at the beginning of the season, as long as Maurice ends up playing who deserves to be there whether it be Cole, LaRose, Boychuk, Tlusty, Skinner or whoever, as long as it's based on actual performance).

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 10:45 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Hopefully on Charlottes 2nd line.

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 11:20 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
ChuckW is pleased.
I'm sure he will be. With that said, I had the same opinions and feelings last season and unfortunately they were not met, mostly due to injury for all we know. I think this season is really Erik's last to truly prove his worth both to the Hurricanes and across the league. If he doesn't show he can stay healthy and be productive on the offensive side of things, he may have a hard time finding work after this season and if/when he does, it'll likely be on the lower end of the totem pole contract wise. This is likely the most critical and crucial year Erik will ever face in his career, I really do see this as a make or break year for #26. Of course he could very well bottom out this year and sign a dirt cheap contract somewhere next July only to go on and prove himself worthy of a decent contract again one day, but for the time being, Erik has a lot of to prove in order to not be viewed as a 'shadow of his former self' type of player.

I think ncpuckhog makes some excellent points. For Erik Cole to be successful he has to be aggressive, physical, play the game at top speed and play with a reckless abandon, and if he cannot do that he really does become rather useless. And as stated above by ncpuckhog, he turns the puck over and brings a play to a halt more than any other player on the roster due to his lack of smarts and or talent to get it done. He can be a very frustrating player to watch these days. Cole doesn't have the finesse or tools to get by on talent alone and as a Power Forward if he can't bring the intangibles needed in order to be successful, his days in the NHL could very well be numbered.

With that said, based on how this season is viewed heading in, at this point all players in my books are coming into the 2010-2011 season on a clean slate. Whether it be Cole, Babchuk, etc.. even Staal and his inconsistency. I am putting all past pros and cons for these guys aside and forming opinions on what they prove they can bring to the table beginning October 2010. This is a brand new direction for this organization and the true colors will shine through of the veterans and leaders we can and cannot count on heading forward. My expectations as a fan are to be a contender within roughly 2-3 years, if there are guys on the team today who stand a chance on being around for that window of time, than they best prove their worth in a hurry or we'll likely be cutting bait quite quickly.

This season for me is as much about the veterans and leaders on the team proving their worth and what they can bring to the table as it is the rookies. We'll only go as far as the Staal's, Ward's, Sutter's, Gleason's, Ruutu's, Cole's, Jokinen's, Pitkanen's, etc. can take us both today and heading forward. (Though i'm not worried about Staal & Ward having what it takes to win a Stanley Cup, I do want to see their games rounded out and polished up as they head into the prime years of their career - the time is now for them. As they go, so go the Carolina Hurricanes.) Those are the horses pulling the wagon, those are the guys that are expected to get the job done consistently from game 1 to game 82. All the rookies have to do is come in, work hard, pay attention and the transition should be a good one. I have said all along I believe we have the horses to pull the wagon to a playoff spot this season (though I won't be disappointed if it doesn't happen), and these rookies appear talented and driven enough to fit right in so long as the NHL'ers on the team pull their own weight and lead the way.

Last edited by Guerzy: 08-30-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 11:55 AM
snakepliskin

Quote:
you are CORRECT sir!

snakepliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 09:33 AM
NotOpie
HeDidn'tReallyDoThat

Send a message via Yahoo to NotOpie
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakepliskin View Post
you are CORRECT sir!
I concur...everybody loves LaRose, me included...but with him in the top six he's taking a spot that more appropriately belongs to one of our more highly skilled, higher ceiling guys (any Rat/Checker fighting for that position - Boychuk, Tlusty, Bowman, Dalpe, Osala, Samson). While he may have the potential to be a 20/20 plus guy, in his best season to date he didn't reach that mark. And, for the poster that said said Cole coughs up the puck too often, have you met Chad LaRose - clearly the easiest Cane to knock off the puck. He gets out muscled on the boards regularly, crushed to the ice often, and tangled up too frequently.

What Chad does have that highly recommends him is excellent vision, great passing skills, and some shifty offensive moves. Coupled with his tenacity, relative speed, and excellent defense and he's a prototypical 3rd liner (who occasionally can take a shift on the 2nd line...or just as often on the 4th line).

Let's not let our love of this guy's personality, grit, and drive blind us to his workman-like hockey skills. While Cole apparently isn't the force he once was, his ability to open things up with his speed, his strength, AND under-rated defensive skills all make him a better 1st or 2nd line option. If he's spending time on the 3rd line, then so be it, but don't put Chad LaRose in our top 6 at the expense of better, higher potential options.

NotOpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 11:51 AM
Caniac4ever

vCash: 8074
I hope like crazy I'm wrong because I love eating crow. However, I stand by my previous statement that I would rather have LaRose on the top line than Cole this season. I don't doubt that Mo will see it differently tho... Also I have no problem putting someone besides Cole or LaRose on the top line. Giving one of the kids a chance to do something isn't an all bad idea IMO.

It could very well be just me, but it seems that Cole brought a I don't give a **** attitude with him to many games last season. He would go through the motions, but it was like his heart wasn't in it. Likely his lack of being completely healthy had quite a bit to do with that. However, I would rather see someone bust their butt on the top line and turn the puck over than meander into the offensive zone and then turn it over. Maybe with the lack of slow/lazy/uncaring vets on the team this season, Cole will get inspired and turn it up a notch.

Regardless, putting all the warm and fuzzy feelings aside, everyone knows both Cole and LaRose are first line players on any team in the league. Hence, it doesn't matter what one is up there.

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Blueline Bomber
Noah MAN-ifin

Quote:
Mark Roberts: If you look at the way the team played tonight, you've got to like what you saw. Cole looked like his old self and LaRose brought the energy needed to the top line when needed. Either one would be a first line player on any team in the league.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 03:38 PM
wallym

Four things Cole does that don't show up in the most basic stat sheets:

1) Goes to the front of the net.

2) Provide a physical presence so some of our undersized players don't have to.

3) Still enough speed and skill to require attention from D.

4) One of the best in the NHL at drawing penalties. (top 20 last year, top 5 the year before (min 40 games)).

When you look at some of the younger undersized skill players who are likely to be on the roster, having a player like Cole who will bang, take a beating in front of the net, and still be enough of an offensive presence to warrant attention, it makes a player like Boychuck's life so much easier.

These are some of the same reasons Staal played better with Cole. The decoy on a two on one gets no points. The guy who makes the rush 2 on 2 instead of 1 on 2 gets no points. The guy getting smashed in front of the net, while someone else taps home the rebound sneaking in on the backside gets no points. The guy getting held trying the move that never works, so Joni to Jussi can score on the subsequent PP gets no points. But all those things certainly have value.

On top of which, Cole is still good for .25g/game. One wishes he was healthier, but play in a manner that leads to your neck being snapped, then rush back for games 6 and 7 of the Stanley Cup finals, and have 12 hits in those two games, I think maybe he sacrificed a lot of future health that season bringing the cup to Raleigh, which makes me a lot less prone to hold his current physical breakdowns against him.

wallym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 03:46 PM
wallym

Re top line:

Eric Staal needs space to be at his best, which is a lot different than a lot of centers. His even strength success is based on good breakout passes, someone who can match his speed on the wing, and who can bang home goals from in close.

Larose and Cole are not first line talents. But in terms of giving Staal what he needs to succeed, they both fit the bill. Larose probably moreso than Cole now.

Chemistry and style of play matter more than labels. Developing a team on paper gives you the Rangers.

wallym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 10:46 PM
1213caniac1630*

3rd line according to the official website. I would say 40 points is realistic

1213caniac1630* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 04:35 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallym View Post
Four things Cole does that don't show up in the most basic stat sheets:

1) Goes to the front of the net.

2) Provide a physical presence so some of our undersized players don't have to.

3) Still enough speed and skill to require attention from D.

4) One of the best in the NHL at drawing penalties. (top 20 last year, top 5 the year before (min 40 games)).

When you look at some of the younger undersized skill players who are likely to be on the roster, having a player like Cole who will bang, take a beating in front of the net, and still be enough of an offensive presence to warrant attention, it makes a player like Boychuck's life so much easier.

These are some of the same reasons Staal played better with Cole. The decoy on a two on one gets no points. The guy who makes the rush 2 on 2 instead of 1 on 2 gets no points. The guy getting smashed in front of the net, while someone else taps home the rebound sneaking in on the backside gets no points. The guy getting held trying the move that never works, so Joni to Jussi can score on the subsequent PP gets no points. But all those things certainly have value.

On top of which, Cole is still good for .25g/game. One wishes he was healthier, but play in a manner that leads to your neck being snapped, then rush back for games 6 and 7 of the Stanley Cup finals, and have 12 hits in those two games, I think maybe he sacrificed a lot of future health that season bringing the cup to Raleigh, which makes me a lot less prone to hold his current physical breakdowns against him.
Your post is excellent. I agree with everything here.

A few points regarding my favorite Hurricane:

-Cole needs to stay healthy this year. If he has another year marred by injury, it will show that his body really can't handle the style of play the team requires of him. Then it will be time for the Canes to move on without him, no argument from me!

-For those saying that Cole only has "one move" or "two moves" in the offensive zone: maybe you're right, but as wallym points out, often the defense ends up taking a penalty trying to deal with those one or two moves. The idea that defensemen are now comfortable with Cole in the zone is ludicrous. Top 5 and top 20 in penalty drawing in consecutive years? Yeah, they've really figured Erik out...

-Has Cole ever had a lousy year when he's been healthy?

-I'd like to see Cole on a second line centered by Sutter (my second favorite Cane), not the top line. I've been in favor of this since last year. Demote him to the third line if his play isn't up to snuff, but starting him on the third line is a waste of a potentially valuable asset.

Anyway, that's my view. Hopefully the Cole haters will be eating some crow soon. There is a certain percentage of posters here who wouldn't be satisfied if he had a 75 point season with 30 goals.

ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 11:31 AM
Senatorsfan92*

Will Cole be traded this up coming season?

What teams will be looking to trade for Erik Cole?

Will the Senators be one of them?

Senatorsfan92* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 11:26 AM
semin4captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by spezzafan19 View Post
Will Cole be traded this up coming season?
Yes.

Quote:
What teams will be looking to trade for Erik Cole?
The Senators.

Quote:
Will the Senators be one of them?
Yes.

semin4captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 12:00 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
the return will clearly be Joe Corvo, don't ask me how, it just will.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote