HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2010-2011 Official pre-season Thread (Fedotenko, Exelby, Semenov on tryout)

Closed Thread

Old
09-17-2010, 02:35 PM
ruckus*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Last year the players said that there fast start was partially because they were all so ready physically compared to other teams.
Again, Renney's 10-3 start in '08. What's your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Yeah, I don't really see the problem with the camp. Torts has his weakness but I don't know what not winning games has to do with this. There are a lot of players at camp right now and he wants to know which of them have been lazy and which haven't, that's all.
I don't think this proves who has been lazy and who hasn't.

The problem I have with this is it just seems like another thing that Torts does just to try and drive the point home that he's this authoritarian power.

We haven't heard anything about players being lazy. Just because some are better skaters than others, or some huff and puff more than others, has absolutely NOTHING to do with playing hockey.

The fact that people think because you struggle in a 2 mile run or doing tons of laps over and over again on the ice equates to you not being in hockey shape is ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
The conditioning drills do serve a purpose in allowing Tortorella to judge his players fitness levels

But it's not like if you don't complete them in a set amount of time, then you're disqualified from camp.

Just another forum for Torts to scream at players. I'd rather these two days the boys be jumping right into hockey. That is, after all what they're going to be doing.

Old
09-17-2010, 02:36 PM
AJRanger

Thought this'd be the best place for this, no idea if it's true or not;

ScottyHockey
Heard a rumour that the Rangers will put the 85th anniversary logo at center ice in the Garden for this season. Will try to confirm ...

Old
09-17-2010, 02:39 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangersfan1416 View Post
I think being in shape certainly helped in starting the season 7-1 last season, but the team also started 10-2-1 in 08-09. Again, I think the demands of his camp give the players an edge since they come into camp ready, and like you said viper, it was a partial help. It really shouldn't be a big issue that he's running conditioning tests, he just wants to see where his players are. This is coming from someone who is not a Tortorella fan, too.
I'm not saying it's a big issue. I have no problem with conditioning. I'm just stating my opinion that it just seems like another thing for Torts to show the players who's boss.

And to me the dumb part about it, is that these are professional hockey players.

We're wasting 2 days of camp not playing hockey because Torts wants people to know who's the head honcho.

Instead of earning their respect by being a leader, and someone who helps them win hockey games, he tries every thing he can to scare them into following him.

Just have never agreed with his approach.

And YES I understand I'm exaggerating with that there, but I do think there's some truth in it.

Old
09-17-2010, 02:40 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post

The problem I have with this is it just seems like another thing that Torts does just to try and drive the point home that he's this authoritarian power.
Come on dude... Seriously?

He wants the players in the best shape of their lives entering the season... A team with poor depth can't afford to NOT be in the best physical shape possible... That's one of the few edges you can have over teams with more skilled rosters... Work harder, be in better shape....

I'd say at this point your hate for Tortorella prevents you from being objective on this subject matter....

I don't even care for Tortorella that much but I'm sure as heck not going to gripe over him skating the crap out of our players in training camp....

Old
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
I'm not saying it's a big issue. I have no problem with conditioning. I'm just stating my opinion that it just seems like another thing for Torts to show the players who's boss.

And to me the dumb part about it, is that these are professional hockey players.

We're wasting 2 days of camp not playing hockey because Torts wants people to know who's the head honcho.

Instead of earning their respect by being a leader, and someone who helps them win hockey games, he tries every thing he can to scare them into following him.

Just have never agreed with his approach.

And YES I understand I'm exaggerating with that there, but I do think there's some truth in it.
Cool story bro.

Everyone who doesn't have a vendetta against Torts disagrees btw.

Old
DrZoidberg

I love it when the fans think they know better than the guy who was hired to do the job.

Old
09-17-2010, 02:41 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRanger View Post
Thought this'd be the best place for this, no idea if it's true or not;

ScottyHockey
Heard a rumour that the Rangers will put the 85th anniversary logo at center ice in the Garden for this season. Will try to confirm ...
Didn't they do that with the 75th one? That'd make sense.

Also, since people seem to react so quickly to these reports when we hear a guy is winded or gassed, are all the "Avery's not going to make the team" this year people ready to now give him an automatic spot because he's a monster in this thing?

Just another example of how overblown these are, and IMO a waste of time.

Old
09-17-2010, 02:44 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Come on dude... Seriously?

He wants the players in the best shape of their lives entering the team... A team with poor depth can't afford to NOT be in the best physical shape possible...
Way to address any of my post....

Again, how did this help us last year?

That's right, it didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Cool story bro.

Everyone who doesn't have a vendetta against Torts disagrees btw.
Unfortunately the fact that you can't look the past that you think I have a vendetta against the guy is a YOU problem.

Debate something I said if you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
I love it when the fans think they know better than the guy who was hired to do the job.
What are you saying?

Did I say that or did I just say that I think it's stupid and gave me opinion?

That's right. You must be the one who knows better than others.

Old
09-17-2010, 02:45 PM
Fireonk

How can anyone have a problem with conditioning drills?

Best case, the coaching staff gets to see who came to camp in shape and who looks hungry.

Worst case, the players get in better shape?

Old
09-17-2010, 02:46 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

No one is taking your posts seriously right now rob.... Not after you said Tortorella skates the crap out of the team to show them who is boss, LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireonk View Post
How can anyone have a problem with conditioning drills?

Best case, the coaching staff gets to see who came to camp in shape and who looks hungry.

Worst case, the players get in better shape?
Exactly!

Next Tortorella will make the rookies bring him coffee and lunch... Just to put them in their place....

Old
09-17-2010, 02:48 PM
Martin2D

Quote:
Way to address any of my post....

Again, how did this help us last year?

That's right, it didn't.
What are you basing this off of? Maybe we would have been 10 times worse if the players weren't as conditioned. Just because we missed the playoffs or weren't successful in your eyes doesn't mean that it wasn't helpful. Kind of impossible to say what the positive/negative effects were. I think it's good that he tried to push players to be in good shape coming into camp.

Old
09-17-2010, 02:48 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Just another forum for Torts to scream at players. I'd rather these two days the boys be jumping right into hockey. That is, after all what they're going to be doing.
Honestly I think you know absolutely nothing about Tortorella and how he interacts and works with his players and are just latching onto something to complain about it.

Old
09-17-2010, 02:49 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Lgr!

Old
09-17-2010, 03:01 PM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

I can also say that after playing hs and college hockey, conditioning was huge, but we had 1 mile runs instead of 2. And yes, we did a butt load of laps. If we started to lag, it was time for us to get into a push up position and crawl/doggie walk down the ice end to end multiple times. For the guys who actually played hockey and had to do that, they will understand. That ***** was even worse then laps.

Oh yeah, LGRS!

Old
09-17-2010, 03:17 PM
AJRanger

MSG Center Ice logo confirmed;

Old
09-17-2010, 03:20 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortsNeedsMoreJam View Post
I can also say that after playing hs and college hockey, conditioning was huge, but we had 1 mile runs instead of 2. And yes, we did a butt load of laps. If we started to lag, it was time for us to get into a push up position and crawl/doggie walk down the ice end to end multiple times. For the guys who actually played hockey and had to do that, they will understand. That ***** was even worse then laps.

Oh yeah, LGRS!
Honestly, I don't understand the point of 3 laps at full speed. I always thought lightning drills(or whatever everyone else calls them) where you go from goal-line to blue line and back and goal-line to red line and back and so on were much harder than any laps around the ice because of the stopping and starting.

Old
09-17-2010, 03:21 PM
GaborikEqualsGod1995*

Okay, lemme get this straight. People last season were clammoring for a coach who is tough, and now, we want a coach who ISN'T tough?

I hate our fans.

Old
09-17-2010, 03:29 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

well, its not quite the same, but every time ive ever played competitive sports (played tennis in HS, play hockey now) i always do cardio, weights, etc the first few days before i ever start playing the sport. in tennis when we played out first week we did nothing but cardio, never picked up a racquet till after we got through doing all that boring ass cardio. Our coach wasnt a taskmaster either, she was a players coach. but it had to be done.

just wondering if youve played competitive sports before? at least in my limited experience it usually starts like this, drills and scrimmages come after conditioning tests are met. Didn't renney also do this kinda stuff? they did physical testing and stuff the first day. Torts is just going 1 step further. i wonder how the other teams run their camps.

Old
09-17-2010, 03:30 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Honestly, I don't understand the point of 3 laps at full speed. I always thought lightning drills(or whatever everyone else calls them) where you go from goal-line to blue line and back and goal-line to red line and back and so on were much harder than any laps around the ice because of the stopping and starting.
we called em suicides when we did em in tennis...i frakkin hated those.

Old
09-17-2010, 03:34 PM
IAMREALITY

Quote:

Ok. I wonder if I'm the only one that actually hates it and thinks that it just doesn't look like RANGERS ice at all...

Old
09-17-2010, 03:36 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
we called em suicides when we did em in tennis...i frakkin hated those.
Hehe, in Swedish its "idioten"...

Old
09-17-2010, 03:41 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
Ok. I wonder if I'm the only one that actually hates it and thinks that it just doesn't look like RANGERS ice at all...
It doesn't really think it looks "Rangers" like, but it's also kind of cool. It's not permanent but it's a kind of unique look to celebrate 85 years of club history

Old
09-17-2010, 03:42 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Hehe, in Swedish its "idioten"...
haha, appropriate :-D

i really hated those, they were rough on my knees...and starts and stops werent part of my tennis game anyway, i was a power server with a power return...if the exchange went on for more than 2 or 3 volleys, i was going to lose. Luckily i had a powerful serve...back then. i havent picked up a tennis racquet in like 10 years though lol.

Old
09-17-2010, 03:48 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
If you're making that comment, that's what you're saying. Otherwise, why would you say it?

Cause that 10-3 start under Renney the year before never happened, right?
No, not really. That comment wasn't directly saying that his camp gave them that start, because I don't know if it did. That's why I'm not saying it did. I was just showing a possible correlation between two factors:

A) Torts runs a very physical camp.
B) The Rangers did very well directly out of camp in the beginning of the season.

I don't believe his camp had anything to do with it, I'm just showing the possibility and leaving it there for speculation. Things don't always have to be purely black and white.

Quote:

I like it, looks pretty cool.

Old
09-17-2010, 03:51 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

also, the year we had the 10-3 start...didnt our camp start earlier or something because we had to start the year in europe? if so we had games start earlier which gave us an upper hand in getting into game shape.

trying to remember if that was right or not...

Closed Thread