HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2010-2011 Official pre-season Thread (Fedotenko, Exelby, Semenov on tryout)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-17-2010, 02:35 PM
  #301
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Last year the players said that there fast start was partially because they were all so ready physically compared to other teams.
Again, Renney's 10-3 start in '08. What's your point?



Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Yeah, I don't really see the problem with the camp. Torts has his weakness but I don't know what not winning games has to do with this. There are a lot of players at camp right now and he wants to know which of them have been lazy and which haven't, that's all.
I don't think this proves who has been lazy and who hasn't.

The problem I have with this is it just seems like another thing that Torts does just to try and drive the point home that he's this authoritarian power.

We haven't heard anything about players being lazy. Just because some are better skaters than others, or some huff and puff more than others, has absolutely NOTHING to do with playing hockey.

The fact that people think because you struggle in a 2 mile run or doing tons of laps over and over again on the ice equates to you not being in hockey shape is ridiculous.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
The conditioning drills do serve a purpose in allowing Tortorella to judge his players fitness levels

But it's not like if you don't complete them in a set amount of time, then you're disqualified from camp.

Just another forum for Torts to scream at players. I'd rather these two days the boys be jumping right into hockey. That is, after all what they're going to be doing.

ruckus* is offline  
Old
09-17-2010, 02:36 PM
  #302
AJRanger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Essex
Country: England
Posts: 2,420
vCash: 500
Thought this'd be the best place for this, no idea if it's true or not;

ScottyHockey
Heard a rumour that the Rangers will put the 85th anniversary logo at center ice in the Garden for this season. Will try to confirm ...

AJRanger is offline  
Old
09-17-2010, 02:39 PM
  #303
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangersfan1416 View Post
I think being in shape certainly helped in starting the season 7-1 last season, but the team also started 10-2-1 in 08-09. Again, I think the demands of his camp give the players an edge since they come into camp ready, and like you said viper, it was a partial help. It really shouldn't be a big issue that he's running conditioning tests, he just wants to see where his players are. This is coming from someone who is not a Tortorella fan, too.
I'm not saying it's a big issue. I have no problem with conditioning. I'm just stating my opinion that it just seems like another thing for Torts to show the players who's boss.

And to me the dumb part about it, is that these are professional hockey players.

We're wasting 2 days of camp not playing hockey because Torts wants people to know who's the head honcho.

Instead of earning their respect by being a leader, and someone who helps them win hockey games, he tries every thing he can to scare them into following him.

Just have never agreed with his approach.

And YES I understand I'm exaggerating with that there, but I do think there's some truth in it.

ruckus* is offline  
Old
09-17-2010, 02:40 PM
  #304
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post

The problem I have with this is it just seems like another thing that Torts does just to try and drive the point home that he's this authoritarian power.
Come on dude... Seriously?

He wants the players in the best shape of their lives entering the season... A team with poor depth can't afford to NOT be in the best physical shape possible... That's one of the few edges you can have over teams with more skilled rosters... Work harder, be in better shape....

I'd say at this point your hate for Tortorella prevents you from being objective on this subject matter....

I don't even care for Tortorella that much but I'm sure as heck not going to gripe over him skating the crap out of our players in training camp....

wolfgaze is offline  
Old
09-17-2010, 02:40 PM
  #305
t3hg00se
Registered User
 
t3hg00se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,392
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
I'm not saying it's a big issue. I have no problem with conditioning. I'm just stating my opinion that it just seems like another thing for Torts to show the players who's boss.

And to me the dumb part about it, is that these are professional hockey players.

We're wasting 2 days of camp not playing hockey because Torts wants people to know who's the head honcho.

Instead of earning their respect by being a leader, and someone who helps them win hockey games, he tries every thing he can to scare them into following him.

Just have never agreed with his approach.

And YES I understand I'm exaggerating with that there, but I do think there's some truth in it.
Cool story bro.

Everyone who doesn't have a vendetta against Torts disagrees btw.

t3hg00se is offline  
Old
09-17-2010, 02:40 PM
  #306
DrZoidberg
Registered User
 
DrZoidberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 342
vCash: 500
I love it when the fans think they know better than the guy who was hired to do the job.

DrZoidberg is offline  
Old
09-17-2010, 02:41 PM
  #307
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRanger View Post
Thought this'd be the best place for this, no idea if it's true or not;

ScottyHockey
Heard a rumour that the Rangers will put the 85th anniversary logo at center ice in the Garden for this season. Will try to confirm ...
Didn't they do that with the 75th one? That'd make sense.


Also, since people seem to react so quickly to these reports when we hear a guy is winded or gassed, are all the "Avery's not going to make the team" this year people ready to now give him an automatic spot because he's a monster in this thing?

Just another example of how overblown these are, and IMO a waste of time.

ruckus* is offline  
Old
09-17-2010, 02:44 PM
  #308
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Come on dude... Seriously?

He wants the players in the best shape of their lives entering the team... A team with poor depth can't afford to NOT be in the best physical shape possible...
Way to address any of my post....

Again, how did this help us last year?

That's right, it didn't.


Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Cool story bro.

Everyone who doesn't have a vendetta against Torts disagrees btw.
Unfortunately the fact that you can't look the past that you think I have a vendetta against the guy is a YOU problem.

Debate something I said if you like.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
I love it when the fans think they know better than the guy who was hired to do the job.
What are you saying?

Did I say that or did I just say that I think it's stupid and gave me opinion?

That's right. You must be the one who knows better than others.

ruckus* is offline  
Old
09-17-2010, 02:45 PM
  #309
Fireonk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
How can anyone have a problem with conditioning drills?

Best case, the coaching staff gets to see who came to camp in shape and who looks hungry.

Worst case, the players get in better shape?

Fireonk is offline  
Old
09-17-2010, 02:46 PM
  #310
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,050
vCash: 500
No one is taking your posts seriously right now rob.... Not after you said Tortorella skates the crap out of the team to show them who is boss, LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireonk View Post
How can anyone have a problem with conditioning drills?

Best case, the coaching staff gets to see who came to camp in shape and who looks hungry.

Worst case, the players get in better shape?
Exactly!

Next Tortorella will make the rookies bring him coffee and lunch... Just to put them in their place....

wolfgaze is offline  
Old
09-17-2010, 02:48 PM
  #311
Martin2D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 52
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
Way to address any of my post....

Again, how did this help us last year?

That's right, it didn't.
What are you basing this off of? Maybe we would have been 10 times worse if the players weren't as conditioned. Just because we missed the playoffs or weren't successful in your eyes doesn't mean that it wasn't helpful. Kind of impossible to say what the positive/negative effects were. I think it's good that he tried to push players to be in good shape coming into camp.

Martin2D is offline  
Old
09-17-2010, 02:48 PM
  #312
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
Just another forum for Torts to scream at players. I'd rather these two days the boys be jumping right into hockey. That is, after all what they're going to be doing.
Honestly I think you know absolutely nothing about Tortorella and how he interacts and works with his players and are just latching onto something to complain about it.

Levitate is offline  
Old
09-17-2010, 02:49 PM
  #313
ColonialsHockey10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,414
vCash: 500
Lgr!

ColonialsHockey10 is offline  
Old
09-17-2010, 03:01 PM
  #314
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV
 
UnderPSI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Morris Co, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 799
vCash: 500
I can also say that after playing hs and college hockey, conditioning was huge, but we had 1 mile runs instead of 2. And yes, we did a butt load of laps. If we started to lag, it was time for us to get into a push up position and crawl/doggie walk down the ice end to end multiple times. For the guys who actually played hockey and had to do that, they will understand. That ***** was even worse then laps.

Oh yeah, LGRS!

UnderPSI is online now  
Old
09-17-2010, 03:17 PM
  #315
AJRanger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Essex
Country: England
Posts: 2,420
vCash: 500
MSG Center Ice logo confirmed;


AJRanger is offline  
Old
09-17-2010, 03:20 PM
  #316
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TortsNeedsMoreJam View Post
I can also say that after playing hs and college hockey, conditioning was huge, but we had 1 mile runs instead of 2. And yes, we did a butt load of laps. If we started to lag, it was time for us to get into a push up position and crawl/doggie walk down the ice end to end multiple times. For the guys who actually played hockey and had to do that, they will understand. That ***** was even worse then laps.

Oh yeah, LGRS!
Honestly, I don't understand the point of 3 laps at full speed. I always thought lightning drills(or whatever everyone else calls them) where you go from goal-line to blue line and back and goal-line to red line and back and so on were much harder than any laps around the ice because of the stopping and starting.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
09-17-2010, 03:21 PM
  #317
GaborikEqualsGod1995*
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 6,766
vCash: 500
Okay, lemme get this straight. People last season were clammoring for a coach who is tough, and now, we want a coach who ISN'T tough?

I hate our fans.

GaborikEqualsGod1995* is offline  
Old
09-17-2010, 03:29 PM
  #318
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,805
vCash: 500
well, its not quite the same, but every time ive ever played competitive sports (played tennis in HS, play hockey now) i always do cardio, weights, etc the first few days before i ever start playing the sport. in tennis when we played out first week we did nothing but cardio, never picked up a racquet till after we got through doing all that boring ass cardio. Our coach wasnt a taskmaster either, she was a players coach. but it had to be done.

just wondering if youve played competitive sports before? at least in my limited experience it usually starts like this, drills and scrimmages come after conditioning tests are met. Didn't renney also do this kinda stuff? they did physical testing and stuff the first day. Torts is just going 1 step further. i wonder how the other teams run their camps.

Inferno is offline  
Old
09-17-2010, 03:30 PM
  #319
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Honestly, I don't understand the point of 3 laps at full speed. I always thought lightning drills(or whatever everyone else calls them) where you go from goal-line to blue line and back and goal-line to red line and back and so on were much harder than any laps around the ice because of the stopping and starting.
we called em suicides when we did em in tennis...i frakkin hated those.

Inferno is offline  
Old
09-17-2010, 03:34 PM
  #320
IAMREALITY
Registered User
 
IAMREALITY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRanger View Post
MSG Center Ice logo confirmed;

Ok. I wonder if I'm the only one that actually hates it and thinks that it just doesn't look like RANGERS ice at all...

IAMREALITY is offline  
Old
09-17-2010, 03:36 PM
  #321
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
we called em suicides when we did em in tennis...i frakkin hated those.
Hehe, in Swedish its "idioten"...

Ola is online now  
Old
09-17-2010, 03:41 PM
  #322
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
Ok. I wonder if I'm the only one that actually hates it and thinks that it just doesn't look like RANGERS ice at all...
It doesn't really think it looks "Rangers" like, but it's also kind of cool. It's not permanent but it's a kind of unique look to celebrate 85 years of club history

Levitate is offline  
Old
09-17-2010, 03:42 PM
  #323
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Hehe, in Swedish its "idioten"...
haha, appropriate :-D

i really hated those, they were rough on my knees...and starts and stops werent part of my tennis game anyway, i was a power server with a power return...if the exchange went on for more than 2 or 3 volleys, i was going to lose. Luckily i had a powerful serve...back then. i havent picked up a tennis racquet in like 10 years though lol.

Inferno is offline  
Old
09-17-2010, 03:48 PM
  #324
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater
 
Panfork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
If you're making that comment, that's what you're saying. Otherwise, why would you say it?

Cause that 10-3 start under Renney the year before never happened, right?
No, not really. That comment wasn't directly saying that his camp gave them that start, because I don't know if it did. That's why I'm not saying it did. I was just showing a possible correlation between two factors:

A) Torts runs a very physical camp.
B) The Rangers did very well directly out of camp in the beginning of the season.

I don't believe his camp had anything to do with it, I'm just showing the possibility and leaving it there for speculation. Things don't always have to be purely black and white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRanger View Post
MSG Center Ice logo confirmed;

I like it, looks pretty cool.

Panfork is offline  
Old
09-17-2010, 03:51 PM
  #325
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,805
vCash: 500
also, the year we had the 10-3 start...didnt our camp start earlier or something because we had to start the year in europe? if so we had games start earlier which gave us an upper hand in getting into game shape.


trying to remember if that was right or not...

Inferno is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.