HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers sign Tim Kennedy

Old
08-30-2010, 12:39 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist4Vezina View Post
He had a better rookie season than Anisimov.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
For the people who are confused or unimpressed by the signing, Kennedy had 67 points in 73 AHL games before making the jump. Comparitely, Anisimov had 80 in 81. Last year, in their rookie years, Anisimov put up 12-16-28 and Kennedy put up 10-16-26. He's a good young player and definitely worth having on the roster.
Kennedy is also two years older than Anisimov and made the transition to the AHL as a 22 year old, not a 19 year old like Anisimov.

TK is a decent player with some upside, but let's ease off the stats-watching. Anisimov is a better player in virtually every facet of the game. I'd give the edge to Kennedy in tenacity and speed, but Artie is a much better prospect.

Regardless of the stats comparison, this is still an odd signing. Especially if they're looking at him as a center, and not a LW. The entire league passed on him on waivers, and despite "impressive" stats, the Sabres bought him out. Lots of baggage there.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 12:41 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
Yeah, and? This has been discussed in the numerous Avery threads.

All I'm saying is if you think that the Rangers signing Tim Kennedy to a league minimum contract on August 30th is there way of "pushing" Sean Avery, you're clueless.

This has zero to do with Sean Avery.
Now you are putting words into my mouth.

I never said there was a direct correlation between signing him and becoming a motivation tool for Avery. I was just adding a possible positive that could come from this deal that hadn't been mention yet. I said "another body to push Avery". Thats it. Yeah... thats good isnt it? Why cant anyone think that?

Youre right... it has zero to do with Sean Avery... but can we discuss things and speculate how adding a player could effect the dynamics of a camp? Are we allowed to do that in a hockey forum? Wow. People need to chill the **** out. Must be the heat.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NYR Viper

Quote:
I know, right? Its like we're excited for the season to start or something.

Personally, I don't consider Kennedy "meaningless." He's a young player who is more or less equal to Anisimov, who few people would call meaningless. Eminger and White are old and not going to get any better. There's a huge difference between them and Kennedy.
Thinking Anisimov and Kennedy are equal is setting yourself up for disappointment. Anisimov has much higher potential. Kennedy is a good, little, scrappy player who is versatile. I would say his ceiling would be a Callahan-like player if everything goes correctly but he has behind Ryan's development curve already. He has some work to do and he NEEDS to get stronger on his skates for him to be successful in the NHL.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
I wouldnt say zero physical play. He showed flashes last season of being a very good 4th line center by using his size down low and creating turnovers with his reach but defensively he is already very good. His size and strength down low help him outmuscle players and his reach adds as well. He is a very good PKer as well.

Torts likes him, the players like him, he serves a role. He will be on the team.
I would not disagree with your assessment but when I'm talking about physical play I'm not talking about using your body to shield the puck. Boyle did seem to get better in that area last year, and I'm not saying that's not a valuable attribute, but for someone who is 6'7 that's not what you're talking about when you're referencing physical play.

It's like an Antropov thing, except Nik is a goal scorer.

For someone like Boyle is a fringe NHL player, he needs to bring more to the table.

I did not see anything from him last year that would guarantee him a spot on the fourth line coming into next year. In fact, with the signings that have been made, you would have to leave somone much more valuable off in order for him to make it.

I like Boyle too, I can understand why the coaches and his teammates do, but that's not very relevant.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 12:43 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Not an AHL'er....3rd liner for sure. He would not have signed with you on a 2-way deal.

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 12:44 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Am I the only one who loves this move?

The kid has talent and potential.

If he doesn't pan out, oh well.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 12:44 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Which EC are we talking about? The docile, fragile, unsure Christensen? Or the one we saw flashes of last season?

Christensen can move the puck. That's the only thing he's got going for him. He's weak on face-offs, weak along the boards, average defensively, and doesn't create plays for his teammates on a consistent basis.

I'm not on the EC bandwagon like others here. There's a big reason why he was bounced around.

Dubinsky may not work as well with Gaborik, but he's the superior player. If your logic is based off of chemistry, then I would say you got the right idea in your head. But things change pretty quick so nothing should be set in stone, especially with Torts at the helm of things. He changes things up too quick as-is.
Even with all of that said, he's still a better option at center on the 1st line than Dubinsky is.

I indicated that Dubi was the better player. He's just not the best option for a role in which you need offensive creativity.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 12:45 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
I would not disagree with your assessment but when I'm talking about physical play I'm not talking about using your body to shield the puck. Boyle did seem to get better in that area last year, and I'm not saying that's not a valuable attribute, but for someone who is 6'7 that's not what you're talking about when you're referencing physical play.

It's like an Antropov thing, except Nik is a goal scorer.

For someone like Boyle is a fringe NHL player, he needs to bring more to the table.

I did not see anything from him last year that would guarantee him a spot on the fourth line coming into next year. In fact, with the signings that have been made, you would have to leave somone much more valuable off in order for him to make it.

I like Boyle too, I can understand why the coaches and his teammates do, but that's not very relevant.
To me, with wingers like Boogard and Prust, his puck protection and defensive play will be much more important than his physical play which I thought he developed as the season went along.

To me, it comes down to either White or Boyle for the 4th line center spot and I would much prefer to keep Boyle.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 12:46 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
For the people who are confused or unimpressed by the signing, Kennedy had 67 points in 73 AHL games before making the jump. Comparitely, Anisimov had 80 in 81. Last year, in their rookie years, Anisimov put up 12-16-28 and Kennedy put up 10-16-26. He's a good young player and definitely worth having on the roster.
Its also equally worth noting that Anisimov was/is 3 years younger than Kennedy when he put up those numbers.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Glen Teflon Sather
With an iron fist

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
White and Boyle will not be on the team. Christensen might be in the AHL as well.
Just found the reason for your avatar lmao great video

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Now you are putting words into my mouth.

I never said there was a direct correlation between signing him as a motivation tool for Avery. I was just adding a possible positive that could come from this deal that hadn't been mention yet. I said "another body to push Avery". Thats it. Yeah... thats good isnt it? Why cant anyone think that?

Youre right... it has zero to do with Sean Avery... but can we discuss things and speculate how adding a player could effect the dynamics of a camp? Are we allowed to do that in a hockey forum? Wow. People need to chill the **** out. Must be the heat.
This is what you said!

"Another body to push Avery."

I put words in your mouth where exactly? That is what you said.

Why would you say another body to push Avery if you weren't implying that this signing was, uh, another body to push Avery?

I'm pretty calm. And you can discuss whatever you want hockey related in a hockey forum.

All I'm saying, is what I originally said. And that is that if you think Tim Kennedy is going to push Sean Avery, you're clueless. That's all.

Old
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by froods View Post
Not an AHL'er....3rd liner for sure. He would not have signed with you on a 2-way deal.
And the Rangers are a team that can handle paying $550,000 on an AHL deal if he fails.

08-30-2010, 12:49 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
This is what you said!

"Another body to push Avery."

I put words in your mouth where exactly? That is what you said.

Why would you say another body to push Avery if you weren't implying that this signing was, uh, another body to push Avery?

I'm pretty calm. And you can discuss whatever you want hockey related in a hockey forum.

All I'm saying, is what I originally said. And that is that if you think Tim Kennedy is going to push Sean Avery, you're clueless. That's all.
You are obviously reading too much into my simple comment.

I think well leave it at that. No reason to argue about a misinterpretation.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Even with all of that said, he's still a better option at center on the 1st line than Dubinsky is.

I indicated that Dubi was the better player. He's just not the best option for a role in which you need offensive creativity.
I can't totally agree with that, because of EC's jeckyll/hyde personality. Which EC is going to show up? If it's the good one, then yes I agree he would be the better option. But if EC regresses or plays like he did most of his career, he doesn't belong on this team, or even in the NHL. That's what I'm trying to say.

A couple of nice, creative plays for a 1/3 of the season isn't enough time to Sell me. I'm not convinced EC is going to remain Gabby's center.

Boom Boom Geoffrion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 12:52 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
Just found the reason for your avatar lmao great video
You gotta watch both parts to really enjoy it.

The real version, then the LOL-Version, which is full of LOL's...

I couldn't figure out who the hell that dude was in his avatar until i googled/youtubed it.. Showed it to all my buddies.. I'm the coolest guy in my neighborhood now for discovering it.

Old
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Grachev and weiss should just say no thanks to their camp invitations
LOL, imagine worrying about guys who can't handle the competition form Tim Kennedy. Oh the tragedy.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
To me, with wingers like Boogard and Prust, his puck protection and defensive play will be much more important than his physical play which I thought he developed as the season went along.

To me, it comes down to either White or Boyle for the 4th line center spot and I would much prefer to keep Boyle.
I agree he makes the most sense. I just think that's unfortunate for our team.

Old
08-30-2010, 12:53 PM
bscharf

question

im all for the signing and the price, but aside from burying redden, arent we just digging a deeper hole in signing staal?

I may be wrong but i just wish our first priority would be staal because the longer you wait on things like this the more things can go wrong.

bscharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 12:58 PM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

I have a feeling a big trade is coming.

RangerBlue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 12:59 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscharf View Post
im all for the signing and the price, but aside from burying redden, arent we just digging a deeper hole in signing staal?

I may be wrong but i just wish our first priority would be staal because the longer you wait on things like this the more things can go wrong.
This won't affect Staal at all..
Talking about peanuts here.. Kennedy's $$$ isn't going to impact anything vital.

Old
08-30-2010, 12:59 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch View Post
I've had that feeling for the last 3 years.. Even after the Gomez trade..

Old
08-30-2010, 01:00 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Wouldn't be a HF thread if there wasn't.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 01:01 PM
FOXHOUND*

A trade wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility at this point

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 01:01 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Todd White, Tim Kennedy, Boogaard and a pick for Brad Richards .

GET IT DONE SLATS.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 01:02 PM
NikC

i believe a trade is coming as well...

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote