HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign Tim Kennedy

Old
08-30-2010, 02:40 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
You're right, Anisimov has more potential, but, to me, if two players put up similar numbers with similar ice time on similarly built teams, they're more or less equals. Whether they are going to remain equals or not is another issue altogether. But right now, today, I find them to be at a similar tier in their skill and development. Kennedy was 2 years older when he made the jump, yes, so take some potential points off for that I guess.
That's if you're judging them from a statistical angle.

If you're basing your opinion on how they play the game though, Anisimov is already the better hockey player. And his natural position, is Center, opposed to Kennedy who's more of a fill-in at that role.

We're starving for offense. I understand why some people here are more concerned with the bottom-line, than the rest of the goods. I don't necessarily agree with that outlook, but I do understand the emphasis.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 02:43 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
Inserting newly signed medicore player into opening night roster....check.

Random postings about how a big trade must be brewing....check.

Yup, must be the Rangers message board.
I agree we did just sign another 3rd or 4th line run of the mill player who may have some upside, but we are currently over the cap and we have yet to sign a player who I would be shocked if he doesn't make at least 4 million a season. White and Kennedy are both better than Boyle, one of them will make the team. I think Christensen is better than White at this point, and Kennedy should be able to beat White for that last spot sending White to Hartford, unless White really has that chip on his shoulder and plans on playing like it was 2008-09.

Regardless if White and Redden are both waived once Staal is signed we are close to the cap max, now that I am hearing Valatenko is staying in NY or will be in Hartford plus Mcdonagh and all the other kids, i think some sort of veteran move is imminent. Who it will be, I haven't a clue but I do think Sather isn't done yet because we have plenty of youth that can make the team on offense and defense.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 02:44 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Inserting newly signed medicore player into opening night roster....check.

Random postings about how a big trade must be brewing....check.

Yup, must be the Rangers message board.
-We have a mediocre line-up. Without much flexibility.

-If Redden isn't waived, then a move has to be in the works for everything to come together.

-Most message boards would react the same way if their team was constructed like ours, and ended up making a signing like this.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 02:52 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Kennedy is also two years older than Anisimov and made the transition to the AHL as a 22 year old, not a 19 year old like Anisimov.

TK is a decent player with some upside, but let's ease off the stats-watching. Anisimov is a better player in virtually every facet of the game. I'd give the edge to Kennedy in tenacity and speed, but Artie is a much better prospect.

Regardless of the stats comparison, this is still an odd signing. Especially if they're looking at him as a center, and not a LW. The entire league passed on him on waivers, and despite "impressive" stats, the Sabres bought him out. Lots of baggage there.
Oh no question. I was just mentioning the stats to show he's not just a washed up third-fourth liner and it wasn't a who cares kind of pickup. No he's not better or has a similar in his overall game as Anisimov, but he's close between the stats and being young. He does have upside, and some potential at least.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 02:57 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
I agree we did just sign another 3rd or 4th line run of the mill player who may have some upside, but we are currently over the cap and we have yet to sign a player who I would be shocked if he doesn't make at least 4 million a season. White and Kennedy are both better than Boyle, one of them will make the team. I think Christensen is better than White at this point, and Kennedy should be able to beat White for that last spot sending White to Hartford, unless White really has that chip on his shoulder and plans on playing like it was 2008-09.

Regardless if White and Redden are both waived once Staal is signed we are close to the cap max, now that I am hearing Valatenko is staying in NY or will be in Hartford plus Mcdonagh and all the other kids, i think some sort of veteran move is imminent. Who it will be, I haven't a clue but I do think Sather isn't done yet because we have plenty of youth that can make the team on offense and defense.
That would be a minor deal at best.

What big trade would be coming? And why would that be the result of signing Todd White, Tim Kennedy, or Steve Eminger?

The move that is coming is Redden being sent to Hartford. All the other players will either make the team, or be sent to Hartford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
-We have a mediocre line-up. Without much flexibility.

-If Redden isn't waived, then a move has to be in the works for everything to come together.

-Most message boards would react the same way if their team was constructed like ours, and ended up making a signing like this.

We have a mediocre lineup, yes.

Redden is almost sure to be waived at this point. There really are very few ways it's even remotely possible for him to be on this team at this point. Everything we have heard is that this has been the organizations intention the entire time, and that has been getting clearer and clearer every day since the end of last season.

Most message boards, maybe. But for whatever reason it does seem like message boards draw the most clueless people to them sometime.

I just get the impression that most people know nothing about most of the players that we bring in from other teams and automatically assume that they must be good.

We've seen it so many times in years past. And it just always repeats itself.

I'm not saying Tim Kennedy is awful. I'm just saying it's funny how no matter what mediocre, no one else wants them type player we bring in, people will ALWAYS start penciling them into the lineup.

Then, because we have a glutton of said players, there will be a handful of posters who draw that a conclusion that a BIG trade is coming.

It's just very funny to me.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 02:58 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

I'll be surprised if he makes the Wolf Pack team, nevermind the Rangers.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 03:01 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

tim kennedy ? whatever. havent we been here before.

another 3rd/4th line tweener with .....wait for it..........potential.

honestly, are we the clearing house for every low-cost alsorand throw away ?

dont care.

period.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 03:02 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
He was dumped because both Gerbe and Ennis were viewed above him on the depth chart. The arbitration award, which was small enough to the point of being unable to be walked from, was for a one way deal. Management didn't want to pay a guy 1M$ to sit in the press box when we already have a tight internal budget. Bang for the buck kind of thing.
See this is what I'm saying. If anyone in this thread should get acknowledged it's jBuds because of how closely he follows the Sabres.

Buffalo waived Kennedy because they like two players who have a combined 20 NHL games between them, and a collasal 14 points.

Then half the thread will insert Kennedy into our lineup. It's just funny.

Old
08-30-2010, 03:07 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Do we now own his RFA rights at the end of the season?
Yes. He's still RFA eligible and at this point would require a QO of $605,000 (base + 10%) to retain.

08-30-2010, 03:08 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
That would be a minor deal at best.

What big trade would be coming? And why would that be the result of signing Todd White, Tim Kennedy, or Steve Eminger?

The move that is coming is Redden being sent to Hartford. All the other players will either make the team, or be sent to Hartford.

We have a mediocre lineup, yes.

Redden is almost sure to be waived at this point. There really are very few ways it's even remotely possible for him to be on this team at this point. Everything we have heard is that this has been the organizations intention the entire time, and that has been getting clearer and clearer every day since the end of last season.

Most message boards, maybe. But for whatever reason it does seem like message boards draw the most clueless people to them sometime.

I just get the impression that most people know nothing about most of the players that we bring in from other teams and automatically assume that they must be good.

We've seen it so many times in years past. And it just always repeats itself.

I'm not saying Tim Kennedy is awful. I'm just saying it's funny how no matter what mediocre, no one else wants them type player we bring in, people will ALWAYS start penciling them into the lineup.

Then, because we have a glutton of said players, there will be a handful of posters who draw that a conclusion that a BIG trade is coming.

It's just very funny to me.
Where did i say a big trade was coming? I said once we sign staal and dump redden and possibly white we may still be over the cap. Henceforth a trade aka salary dump maybe Rozy or maybe we deal a forward to clear some space.

I also noted which you may have failed to read that a bunch of things are pointing to this, all of the signings especially the frolov signing and then the white trade, now the kennedy signing that Redden is defintely a goner and once Staal is signed money will be quite tight.

I never said we will trade for richards or iginla or anything like that, we could just make a salary dump or we could make a bigger trade, who knows, but something is going to give and soon.

Old
08-30-2010, 03:11 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
That's if you're judging them from a statistical angle.

If you're basing your opinion on how they play the game though, Anisimov is already the better hockey player. And his natural position, is Center, opposed to Kennedy who's more of a fill-in at that role.

We're starving for offense. I understand why some people here are more concerned with the bottom-line, than the rest of the goods. I don't necessarily agree with that outlook, but I do understand the emphasis.
We can agree to disagree I guess. I watched a lot of Buffalo hockey being stranded up at school in that area and I've always been pretty impressed with Kennedy given his size, age and experience. To me, statistics are the materialization of one's skill. They aren't the whole story, but they're a good chunk of it. I assume you don't agree and thats fine - different strokes. The point is, I think he's a better player than most people are making him out to be.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 03:13 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds2StepOpus View Post
He smokes Boyle so i think he has a good chance of making this team for the 4th line unless todd white of old shows up.

Old
08-30-2010, 03:14 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare
We can agree to disagree I guess. I watched a lot of Buffalo hockey being stranded up at school in that area and I've always been pretty impressed with Kennedy given his size, age and experience. To me, statistics are the materialization of one's skill. They aren't the whole story, but they're a good chunk of it. I assume you don't agree and thats fine - different strokes. The point is, I think he's a better player than most people are making him out to be.
I think that anyone who watched him play for a minimum of 10 games can easily summarize what kind of player he is. I don't think there's much room to grow skill-wise. If he were to somehow see more ice time, his production could go up - sure. But he'll use his stick actively in terms of being a pest, he'll use his body positionally but isn't strong or big, and he doesn't do any one thing spectacularly enough to the point of being an asset or necessity.

Honestly? He'll fall in the good graces of Torts or be waived. I don't see a happy medium. Complete guess/speculation/opinion... but...

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 03:18 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Where did i say a big trade was coming? I said once we sign staal and dump redden and possibly white we may still be over the cap. Henceforth a trade aka salary dump maybe Rozy or maybe we deal a forward to clear some space.

I also noted which you may have failed to read that a bunch of things are pointing to this, all of the signings especially the frolov signing and then the white trade, now the kennedy signing that Redden is defintely a goner and once Staal is signed money will be quite tight.

I never said we will trade for richards or iginla or anything like that, we could just make a salary dump or we could make a bigger trade, who knows, but something is going to give and soon.
You responded to my post, which was poking fun at those who always say a big trade is coming whenever we make a signing like this.

Rozsival is not a salary dump. And if Redden is guaranteed to not be on this team next year, there is no way Rozsival gets moved. Do you have any idea how absolutely awful our D would be?

What forwards are we dealing to clear some space? Drury? Un-tradeable. Callahan/Dubi/Anisimov? Not happening, and wouldn't clear much space any way. Avery? No one would take his full cap hit. Prospal? Highly doubtful. Todd White? The guy we just got for Brashear and Rismiller (I know that was about Atlanta saving money but I highly doubt Todd White and his $2+ million cap hit are appealing to anyone right now with his health issues.)

What forward is being moved to clear space? None.

The move is Redden to the AHL. That's it.

Nothing is going to give. Redden will go to the AHL. Out of the glutton of mediocre, bottom line players that we have, they will either make the team or go to Hartford.

Nothing is brewing. Only in the minds of Rangers fans who think this team can just magically get better is something brewing.

Old
08-30-2010, 03:20 PM
haveandare

Quote:
See this is what I'm saying. If anyone in this thread should get acknowledged it's jBuds because of how closely he follows the Sabres.

Buffalo waived Kennedy because they like two players who have a combined 20 NHL games between them, and a collasal 14 points.

Then half the thread will insert Kennedy into our lineup. It's just funny.
Ennis and Gerbe are both very promising prospects. Its not much of an insult to be placed under them in terms of potential, especially considering all 3 are about the same size, which isn't a size you want to have a lot of on an NHL team.

Old
08-30-2010, 03:24 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
He smokes Boyle so i think he has a good chance of making this team for the 4th line unless todd white of old shows up.

I would hope that Weise or Byers could smoke Boyle.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 03:26 PM
haveandare

Quote:
I think that anyone who watched him play for a minimum of 10 games can easily summarize what kind of player he is. I don't think there's much room to grow skill-wise. If he were to somehow see more ice time, his production could go up - sure. But he'll use his stick actively in terms of being a pest, he'll use his body positionally but isn't strong or big, and he doesn't do any one thing spectacularly enough to the point of being an asset or necessity.

Honestly? He'll fall in the good graces of Torts or be waived. I don't see a happy medium. Complete guess/speculation/opinion... but...
I watched significantly more than 10 games and I don't think that any 23 year old player who has played one year in the NHL has reached his potential skill wise.

Old
08-30-2010, 03:27 PM
NikC

Huge HUGE!!! move coming...

Richards? Thorton???!!!

YES!!!

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 03:30 PM
ogie

I don't just get get the uproar over this signing. A young guy that put some points up last year , has some potential and was signed to the league minimum.

It's not like they signed a veteran bruiser that hasn't scored a goal in years to an absurd ....damn you sather.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 03:31 PM
EJS280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds2StepOpus View Post
Why was he playing with Pominville and Roy on a Buffalo team that was far better than our team last year, during the playoffs? He doesn't suck. He will probably get 1st line minutes on Hartford. He's also not really a 4th line type player so that would be a waste of time for him to be on the 4th.

A he wins a spot on the 3rd line B he plays top line minutes in Hartford C a package of our immense amount of 3rd and 4th liners goes somewhere for something more and he actually has a spot to play.

Thats just my opinion.

EJS280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 03:32 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Kennedy is also two years older than Anisimov and made the transition to the AHL as a 22 year old, not a 19 year old like Anisimov.

TK is a decent player with some upside, but let's ease off the stats-watching. Anisimov is a better player in virtually every facet of the game. I'd give the edge to Kennedy in tenacity and speed, but Artie is a much better prospect.

Regardless of the stats comparison, this is still an odd signing. Especially if they're looking at him as a center, and not a LW. The entire league passed on him on waivers, and despite "impressive" stats, the Sabres bought him out. Lots of baggage there.
Very true--I followed the saga of Kennedy's arbitration, be waived and bought out and think he's a real bubble player. He needs minutes to produce--he's not going to get 10G and 16A playing 5-6 minutes at even strength on the 4th line. And from what I read, he's a much better winger than center.

Who needs a farm system full of prospects when you simply sign players discarded from other teams. This may work out, but until it does, this is just another example of Sather throwing stuff against a wall and hoping it sticks.

Last edited by Brooklyn Ranger: 08-30-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 03:38 PM
Hollywood Hulk Hogan
nWo 4 Life Brother

Send a message via AIM to Hollywood Hulk Hogan
Dominoes.....

Hollywood Hulk Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 03:50 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
You responded to my post, which was poking fun at those who always say a big trade is coming whenever we make a signing like this.

Rozsival is not a salary dump. And if Redden is guaranteed to not be on this team next year, there is no way Rozsival gets moved. Do you have any idea how absolutely awful our D would be?

What forwards are we dealing to clear some space? Drury? Un-tradeable. Callahan/Dubi/Anisimov? Not happening, and wouldn't clear much space any way. Avery? No one would take his full cap hit. Prospal? Highly doubtful. Todd White? The guy we just got for Brashear and Rismiller (I know that was about Atlanta saving money but I highly doubt Todd White and his $2+ million cap hit are appealing to anyone right now with his health issues.)

What forward is being moved to clear space? None.

The move is Redden to the AHL. That's it.

Nothing is going to give. Redden will go to the AHL. Out of the glutton of mediocre, bottom line players that we have, they will either make the team or go to Hartford.

Nothing is brewing. Only in the minds of Rangers fans who think this team can just magically get better is something brewing.
I responded saying a move could certainly be coming... I don't think its that crazy. Sather has been quite active as of late the White trade, Frolov signing and now kennedy being signed.

I agree redden will be waived, but if McD and MZA make this team and Staal gets a 4 million dollar deal white will have to be waived and we will still be close to Cap possibly over it.

If we start opening night without Redden, White, and Boyle, but have Kennedy, Weise, MZA, McD and Staal with an average hit of 4 million our cap would be 59.273 thats really living life on the edge, I don't see that happening and thats with 3 veterans in the minors!

Rozy isn't a salary dump? I like Rozy probably just as much as anyone else here, but he is on the few tradeable assets we have. He could get back a nice pick and prospect or maybe a cheaper d-man who is a 3rd pair d-man and prospect, saving us some money.

I agree drury is not tradeable, but if someone is calling about Dubinsky or Callahan i'd expect sather would require that team take a contract off our hands in that deal maybe Avery maybe someone else who knows, depends on the return. That has been how sather has made deals since the cap, we package a bad contract with a younger player, so as much as i DO NOT want to trade Dubi or Cally I don't see them as untouchable and depending on the return i could in theory see Avery or some veteran forward going back with them, maybe Prospal at some point.

Yeah Nothing is brewing, we have only made 2 trades and 2 signings over the last month and a half. Totally quiet

Old
08-30-2010, 03:50 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare
I watched significantly more than 10 games and I don't think that any 23 year old player who has played one year in the NHL has reached his potential skill wise.
And that's why every 23 year old who has played in the NHL is an all-star at some point....

... what? I don't get it.

If you're simply stating that there's more there untapped, that's fine. Don't expect a blossoming of Sid, that's my point.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 04:01 PM
haveandare

Quote:
And that's why every 23 year old who has played in the NHL is an all-star at some point....

... what? I don't get it.

If you're simply stating that there's more there untapped, that's fine. Don't expect a blossoming of Sid, that's my point.
I have no idea what I said to imply any of that. I mean that he's young and he only played one season. You said he doesn't have much room to grow skill-wise, I'm respectfully disagreeing because of his age and lack of experience. I don't see why a young kid who just finished his first season wouldn't get any better at all as he plays more and grows. I'm not saying he's going to put up an 80 point season at any point, but I don't think he's gotten as good as he will be ultimately.

I'm a grown man who follows hockey very closely - I don't expect a 26 point player to ever become Crosby or anything even comparable.