HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RE: Leaf fans booing Alfie in ScotiaBank...

Old
08-30-2010, 07:34 PM
checkerdome

vCash: 500
RE: Leaf fans booing Alfie in ScotiaBank...

..Place.

What`s with that?

I was listening via the Internet last spring when Dean Brown pointed out how classless Leaf fans were for booing the Sens' captain.

He mentioned what a good profile Mr. Alfredsson has in the community with his contributions to various causes.

..Not to mention the leadership and hockey skills he contributes to the Sens.

So the reason Leaf fans boo him is because?

Surely it CAN'T be because he once mimicked throwing his broken stick into a Toronto crowd eons ago.

Didn`t a lot of Leaf fans dislike Mats Sundin just before he left because he refused to let himself be traded? Then why would they be bitter if they interpreted Alfredsson's gesture as a slight to Sundin?

Just don`t get it. Classless about says it all.

checkerdome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 07:37 PM
littlesthobo

Sens Leafs. Alfie is the poster boy for the Sens. They hate the Sens. Therefore they hate Alfie.

A lot of it has to do with the mimmick stick throw, and a lot of it has to do with the hit on Tucker in 2002. His clown hair in 2004 didn't help any either in Leafs fans eyes.

littlesthobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 07:41 PM
SeNaToR PhIL

Lmao srly!?!?!? This happens in many rivalries across all sports...The top players get booed by the opposing team's fans...

What do you think?

SeNaToR PhIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 07:44 PM
Confucius

Darn I didn't realize it was an issue, does it bother alot of the sens fans, please say it does?

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 07:46 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 20000
Quote:
Originally Posted by senators39 View Post
Sens Leafs. Alfie is the poster boy for the Sens. They hate the Sens. Therefore they hate Alfie.

A lot of it has to do with the mimmick stick throw, and a lot of it has to do with the hit on Tucker in 2002. His clown hair in 2004 didn't help any either in Leafs fans eyes.
I loved that fake throw of the stick (I'm a Canucks fan). It was hilarious. I like Sundin. I like Alfie. Both are class acts. Just cause the guy cracks a funny he's hated? I don't get that at all. Laugh people. Hating will only wear you out.

Chairman Maouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 07:47 PM
htpwn

Part of the reason is because of the stick gimmick that Alfredsson pulled, the thing that sparked it was this dirty hit on Tucker:

Mind you, most don't remember the hit anymore and just boo him for the hell of it.

P.S. It's a little hypocritical to call Leaf fans "classless" no? Especially considering the years of booing Sundin.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 07:49 PM
checkerdome

I`m not surprised Leaf fans boo Alfredsson in Toronto.

It`s a compliment in a way.

I was referring to Leaf fans booing Alfie IN Ottawa.

Surely not many stars, no matter the sport, are booed in their own barn or on their own playing field.

checkerdome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 07:59 PM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by preissingg View Post
I`m not surprised Leaf fans boo Alfredsson in Toronto.

It`s a compliment in a way.

I was referring to Leaf fans booing Alfie IN Ottawa.

Surely not many stars, no matter the sport, are booed in their own barn or on their own playing field.
Maybe because Toronto has a much larger fanbase and Ottawa fans need to pick it up and go to more Ottawa-Toronto games and drown out the booing in Alfie chants and go sens go?

ErikKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 07:59 PM
SpezDispenser

I'll venture you've never seen the scum that call themselves Leaf fans when the Leafs visit Ottawa. They're about on par with street people who have the money to get wasted. I avoid these games now as it's not worth the aggravation.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 08:02 PM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

There used to be reasoning behind it but as the years past, everyone except the Leafs got better and since there's nothing to cheer, they need something to do.

Loose Sens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 08:05 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Quote:
Originally Posted by senators39 View Post

Pretty much sums it up. Rival teams boo other team's players. The only reason you hear so much of it, IN OTTAWA, is because we are a newer franchise in between 2 of the biggest (popularity) teams in the entire NHL. With Montreal across the river and Toronto just southwest of us, there were only Habs and Leaf fans before the team came into the area. People in the Ottawa area (adult aged) grew up with the Leafs and the Habs, and just because a team came into their hometown doesn't mean that people will change their favorite teams. Thus, we have ALOT of Leafs/Habs fans in the area.

TheOriginalSilf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 08:36 PM
Dave Sparky Allison
2-22-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubberboy682 View Post
Pretty much sums it up. Rival teams boo other team's players. The only reason you hear so much of it, IN OTTAWA, is because we are a newer franchise in between 2 of the biggest (popularity) teams in the entire NHL. With Montreal across the river and Toronto just southwest of us, there were only Habs and Leaf fans before the team came into the area. People in the Ottawa area (adult aged) grew up with the Leafs and the Habs, and just because a team came into their hometown doesn't mean that people will change their favorite teams. Thus, we have ALOT of Leafs/Habs fans in the area.
Alfredsson gets booed because of the incidents previously mentioned, not because he is the captain of Ottawa. He's not as bad as Leaf fans make him out to be, but he's not as innocent as Sens fans make him out to be either. He's had his dirty/classless moments ex. hit on Tucker, shooting the puck at Niedermayer, but in a 15 year career you're bound to have a few blemishes on your record. He's never been suspended so I don't think he's the dirtiest guy out there, but he's not the cleanest either.

Dave Sparky Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 08:37 PM
Kekumba

Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
I'll venture you've never seen the scum that call themselves Leaf fans when the Leafs visit Ottawa. They're about on par with street people who have the money to get wasted. I avoid these games now as it's not worth the aggravation.
The best is when they get kicked out for being drunk out of their minds and throw a huge fit and insult the city.

Kekumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 08:41 PM
bdp

I'm sure Alfie could not care less.

Most Sens fans could not care less either, except for the more insecure ones.

bdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 08:43 PM
salomonster

The classless bit is that most of the Ottawa living Leaf fans are the ones booing. And the reason we hate it is due the fact that it's in our barn...

They should know better and they should respect him for what he's done for the city of the Ottawa hockey fans. That's it.

And regarding why. Cause it's a rallying point. It's not like they get to cheer for the Leafs much. They blow chunks... So to attempt to make noice they rally around that...

Sure the Tucker hit, the Sundin stick, the Krusty the clown hair and the general fact that he's been a Leaf killer since the 90's... He's the captain of the team they hate and a symbol of the Sens...* reason he's god pretty much to Sens fans*

salomonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 08:58 PM
DustingTheIce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyhopeful View Post
Darn I didn't realize it was an issue, does it bother alot of the sens fans, please say it does?
1) Nothing the Leafs organization does bothers us for one reason: They have not made the playoffs since the lock-out.

2) I wear my Alfie jersey and my church of alfie t-shirt as often as possible BECAUSE it pisses off the poor Leaf fans

DustingTheIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 10:37 PM
This
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonster View Post
The classless bit is that most of the Ottawa living Leaf fans are the ones booing. And the reason we hate it is due the fact that it's in our barn...

They should know better and they should respect him for what he's done for the city of the Ottawa hockey fans. That's it.

And regarding why. Cause it's a rallying point. It's not like they get to cheer for the Leafs much. They blow chunks... So to attempt to make noice they rally around that...

Sure the Tucker hit, the Sundin stick, the Krusty the clown hair and the general fact that he's been a Leaf killer since the 90's... He's the captain of the team they hate and a symbol of the Sens...* reason he's god pretty much to Sens fans*
I wouldn't get to hung up on that, most Leaf fans have no idea what he does for the city etc. Generally they are rather uneducated about anything Senators related, and hear what they want to hear. Hell last year I was wearing my Fisher jersey on the night of a Sens v. Leafs game at university (in Toronto) and a guy walks past snickering and says to his friend "Fisher doesn't even play for the Sens anymore, what an idiot". Needless to say, I got a little angry at first, but then realized that he clearly knew very little about anything not Leafs related. That's just how it is.

This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 10:52 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikKarlsson View Post
Maybe because Toronto has a much larger fanbase and Ottawa fans need to pick it up and go to more Ottawa-Toronto games and drown out the booing in Alfie chants and go sens go?
This. In a few years (ok maybe a decade), you'll start to see more Sens fans than Leafs fans in SBP as the Sens fanbase begins to get older and larger (ie. more income to spend)

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 11:01 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

The Sens fan base is still pretty small tbh. However, Ottawa also has an awesome fanbase come playoff time and the intensity in the building is wicked. Come 5 years from now. Ottawa will have a strong and huge fanbase.

The beginning of this imo is the RSU, formerly, RSA. They are awesome in what they do and how they team up and go in a huge group to Sens games and cheer their lungs out. Usually when i go to a Sens game, i tend to join them.

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 11:08 PM
Constantine
In hoc signo vinces

Don't we do a good job of drowning them out?

Constantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 11:56 PM
Mysterion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
The beginning of this imo is the RSU, formerly, RSA. They are awesome in what they do and how they team up and go in a huge group to Sens games and cheer their lungs out. Usually when i go to a Sens game, i tend to join them.
Your cause is noble.

Mysterion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 12:40 AM
Inf4mous0ne

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
The Sens fan base is still pretty small tbh. However, Ottawa also has an awesome fanbase come playoff time and the intensity in the building is wicked. Come 5 years from now. Ottawa will have a strong and huge fanbase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterion View Post
Your cause is noble.
lol always great to be recognized :p Feel free to join us at every home game ! Join our fb group for more organization. Over 1200 members and we are starting to work with the sens organization

Inf4mous0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 12:58 AM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Yeah, I was gonna say...Isn't that what the RSU is for? lol

It's really a shame to see some people in disapproval of them, they're really doing a great thing.

The people who call them too rowdy have obviously never been to the Bell center.

The Waffler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 03:57 AM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

It's got nothing to do with the stick throwing or Tucker hit. It's pretty simple, Alfie is to the Sens as Sundin was to the Leafs. Sens are one of Leaf fans most hated teams and as such...

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 05:12 AM
enviro61

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustingTheIce View Post
1) Nothing the Leafs organization does bothers us for one reason: They have not made the playoffs since the lock-out.

2) I wear my Alfie jersey and my church of alfie t-shirt as often as possible BECAUSE it pisses off the poor Leaf fans
This

They have the most delussional fan base and GM that nothing they say matters. Take solace knowing they are a weak team on the ice and in the boardroom and made a trade that will haunt them for the next 20 years for which we like every other fan can mock them.

enviro61 is offline   Reply With Quote