HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RE: Leaf fans booing Alfie in ScotiaBank...

Old
08-31-2010, 08:41 AM
Rysto

vCash: 500
It's 100% because of the stick thing. The Tucker hit happened in 2002, and Alfie never got booed in SBP until after the stick thing four years later.

Rysto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 09:05 AM
Lenny the Lynx

We would boo their star player too, if they had one

Lenny the Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 09:05 AM
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'

I still remember when i was at Alfies 1000th game celebration and I heard some Leafs fans with their Leafs jerseys (we were playing Buffalo ) and while Alfie was receiting his speech they were booing and saying stupid stuff I thought that was really classless and quite disgusting.

Last edited by Marty Straka: 08-31-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Marty Straka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 09:19 AM
jamiebez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysto View Post
It's 100% because of the stick thing. The Tucker hit happened in 2002, and Alfie never got booed in SBP until after the stick thing four years later.
I was working in Toronto at the time and can confirm that this is it exactly.

The Tucker hit got people pissed off at him, but it was a hockey play. It was the mocking of their (then) beloved Mats Sundin that drove people crazy.

jamiebez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 09:48 AM
umma gumma

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebez View Post
I was working in Toronto at the time and can confirm that this is it exactly.

The Tucker hit got people pissed off at him, but it was a hockey play. It was the mocking of their (then) beloved Mats Sundin that drove people crazy.
I recently spoke with a and older Leaf fan while I was on vacation (he remembers the last Stanley up quite clearly) and he mentioned the Tucker hit didn't bother him, but the stick throwing thing is why he doesn't like Alfie.

I don't get it; Sundin actually throws the stick into the stands, Alfi pretends to, and he's the bad guy? Whatever.

umma gumma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 09:52 AM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

Who cares??

Senateurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 10:15 AM
Flamingo

I don't get their reaction to the stick-throwing jest. Sundin even said it was funny. But whatever. It's good to have that sort of enmity.

Flamingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 10:16 AM
Cat Herder
Formerly BigSensFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
Part of the reason is because of the stick gimmick that Alfredsson pulled, the thing that sparked it was this dirty hit on Tucker:

Mind you, most don't remember the hit anymore and just boo him for the hell of it.

P.S. It's a little hypocritical to call Leaf fans "classless" no? Especially considering the years of booing Sundin.
That hit was CLEAN.. shoulder to shoulder....

Just because a Leafs homer announcer said it was dirty, does not make it so... The refs saw no issue.. The league saw no issue.. the only people with Issue are the Leafs broadcast team and Leafs fans

Cat Herder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 10:23 AM
Melnyks Mirage
We're doomed.

vCash: 122
It happens because:

Sens fans give their tickets away to Leafs fans (heck, I've had my friend's sister do this because she didn't want to put up with it)
Low season ticket base
Lots of Leafs fans in the area
Leafs fans buy season tickets to get access to Leafs games.

It's not going to stop until we either win a Cup or we get enough season ticket holders to block out Leafs and Habs fans.
Sadly, this is a front-running town and a fairly apathetic one at that so...

Solution: Out cheer the Leafs fans, buy tickets, etc. etc.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 10:24 AM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSensFan View Post
That hit was CLEAN.. shoulder to shoulder....

Just because a Leafs homer announcer said it was dirty, does not make it so... The refs saw no issue.. The league saw no issue.. the only people with Issue are the Leafs broadcast team and Leafs fans
THIS over and over and over again.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 10:34 AM
MoreGore

To me, it is the ultimate sign of respect. Who else gets booed like Alfie does for something that happened nearly a decade ago?

They guys that booed during the 1000th game are just losers, and since Leafs Nations is the biggest fan base around, they have, numerically speaking more losers and higher quality losers :-p

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 12:35 PM
lafite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreGore View Post
To me, it is the ultimate sign of respect. Who else gets booed like Alfie does for something that happened nearly a decade ago?

They guys that booed during the 1000th game are just losers, and since Leafs Nations is the biggest fan base around, they have, numerically speaking more losers and higher quality losers :-p
This is true. They boo Alfredsson, not Shannon.

The problem is getting boo'd here. I have no problem with him getting boo'd in Toronto. A back handed compliment.

The thing is, I think every hockey fan in Toronto should be a Leafs fan, and any hockey fan in Ottawa should be a Sens fan. I'm sure some of the fans come up from Toronto for some games, and fair enough. What bugs me is the Ottawa clowns that aren't hockey fans at all, but get some kind of perverse pleasure from going to the games and making a spectacle of themselves. Like others, I pass on the Toronto games too. When you see some drunken clown in his Toronto gear standing up facing backwards to yell and annoy the fans, he might as well carry a sign that says "Look at me, look at me!". And I bet he lives in Ottawa, and the only games he goes to are Leaf games.

lafite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 01:10 PM
V4D3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
I avoid these games now as it's not worth the aggravation.
Too bad...

V4D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 01:19 PM
Stick To Your Guns

I get way too mad at those games, I can't drink because I know I will get into fights. The game were they beat us 2-1 in a shootout they celebrated like it was the stanley cup, people were jumping on cars and starting chants. It was more embarrassing then anything, I would love to work security there and just kick Leaf fans out

Stick To Your Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 01:36 PM
StayThirstyMyFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
Part of the reason is because of the stick gimmick that Alfredsson pulled, the thing that sparked it was this dirty hit on Tucker:

Mind you, most don't remember the hit anymore and just boo him for the hell of it.

P.S. It's a little hypocritical to call Leaf fans "classless" no? Especially considering the years of booing Sundin.
Case and point. This clueless comment is EXACTLY why Leaf fans are classless.

StayThirstyMyFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 01:51 PM
Alfredsson11

who cares?

Alfredsson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 02:20 PM
Reider

As a Leaf fan, I would say the Tucker hit is what sticks in my craw the most.. as for the stick throwing incident, I thought it was funny, and it bugs me that my fellow Leaf fans still cite that as their primary source of Alfie hatred.... Plus the retaliatory booing of our beloved Mats only fanned the flames.

But hey, lets face it, its not like we were booing Shane Hnidy... Alfie is/was your best player and sports fans in general will boo because they feel they can get inside an opposing athletes head, and put em off their game, regardless of how silly that concept may be.

I for one enjoy our rivalry, and I love to "hate" Sens fans, as I am sure Sens fans love to "hate" us Leaf fans. It is fun for us to boo your captain, because we despise your team, just as im sure you guys would boo our star player.. if we had anyone that was worth doing so (perhaps one day Tyler Seg... crap, nevermind)... Now, everyone go drink a beer and get ready for the season to start!

Reider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 02:20 PM
2Cowen

If sens fans are disturbed by them booing our captain then maybe we should boo one of their star players? ohh wait they dont have any

2Cowen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 02:30 PM
checkerdome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reider View Post

But hey, lets face it, its not like we were booing Shane Hnidy...
I for one enjoy our rivalry, and I love to "hate" Sens fans, as I am sure Sens fans love to "hate" us Leaf fans. It is fun for us to boo your captain, because we despise your team, just as im sure you guys would boo our star player.. if we had anyone that was worth doing so (perhaps one day Tyler Seg... crap, nevermind)... Now, everyone go drink a beer and get ready for the season to start!
It's a sign of class to be able to take a poke at your own team.

It shows you don't take yourself any more seriously than it is healthy to.

checkerdome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 02:46 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafite View Post
This is true. They boo Alfredsson, not Shannon.

The problem is getting boo'd here. I have no problem with him getting boo'd in Toronto. A back handed compliment.

The thing is, I think every hockey fan in Toronto should be a Leafs fan, and any hockey fan in Ottawa should be a Sens fan. I'm sure some of the fans come up from Toronto for some games, and fair enough. What bugs me is the Ottawa clowns that aren't hockey fans at all, but get some kind of perverse pleasure from going to the games and making a spectacle of themselves. Like others, I pass on the Toronto games too. When you see some drunken clown in his Toronto gear standing up facing backwards to yell and annoy the fans, he might as well carry a sign that says "Look at me, look at me!". And I bet he lives in Ottawa, and the only games he goes to are Leaf games.
No doubt this ********* type would annoy people, but honestly, the best way to make him shut up and sit his *** down and watch the game is to completely ignore him. Idiots like that only want to illicit a reaction. If you ignore him/her, and watch the game, they don't get that reaction they are after, and just look even stupider. Besides, why should a mental midget like that take away from your enjoyment of the game, which you paid hard-earned money for?

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 02:51 PM
Kyle Doobas*
#groovystats

vCash: 159
go to the games and cheer louder than them if you don't like it. i'd be more disappointed in my fellow fans for not drowning out their booing than i would be annoyed at the opposing team's fans tbh

Kyle Doobas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 02:53 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZootAllures View Post
go to the games and cheer louder than them if you don't like it
Its hard to outcheer them when 75% of the fans in the stands are idiot, loudmouth Leafs fans.

Old
08-31-2010, 02:57 PM
Kyle Doobas*
#groovystats

vCash: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
Its hard to outcheer them when 75% of the fans in the stands are idiot, loudmouth Leafs fans.
it's also hard to outcheer them when you're busy crying about them over the internet

we're terribly sorry for being fans of a team with a larger, more widespread fanbase than your favourite team. i guess we should stop attending games to support our team out of pity?

Kyle Doobas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 03:04 PM
V4D3R

rofl... hardly 75%

V4D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 04:27 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZootAllures View Post
it's also hard to outcheer them when you're busy crying about them over the internet

we're terribly sorry for being fans of a team with a larger, more widespread fanbase than your favourite team. i guess we should stop attending games to support our team out of pity?
Yes, because fans in the stands are often on a laptop computer on HFboards during the game...

The only reason the Leafs have as many fans at the Bank as they do, like another poster said, is that they have a MUCH larger population, and oh, about what SIXTY years of more of history in this area before we even joined the league? Things will be different when the Leaf fans in Ottawa move/die/see the light and cheer for the Sens, and the good kids that were raised as Sens fans are old enough to buy their own tickets.

And here's an idea... go to your own team's board, and stop trolling here.