HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

RE: Leaf fans booing Alfie in ScotiaBank...

Old
09-03-2010, 09:43 PM
preissingg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubberboy682 View Post
Because Dean Brown is the all-knowing, all-powerful one? I just don't believe it's a big issue that our rival team boo's our captain. Anyone remember that guy named Mats Sundin?
Sorry. I had foolishly forgotten about all the times Mats Sundin was loudly booed in Toronto by Ottawa fans.

preissingg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 09:48 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Quote:
Originally Posted by preissingg View Post
Sorry. I had foolishly forgotten about all the times Mats Sundin was loudly booed in Toronto by Ottawa fans.

Care to explain how booing Alfie in Ottawa is so much more worse than booing him in Toronto? What sense does that make? None.

TheOriginalSilf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 09:52 PM
preissingg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubberboy682 View Post
Care to explain how booing Alfie in Ottawa is so much more worse than booing him in Toronto? What sense does that make? None.
If you don't understand it at face value, no amount of explanation would be enough.

preissingg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 09:55 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Quote:
Originally Posted by preissingg View Post
If you don't understand it at face value, no amount of explanation would be enough.

I'm loving that thorough explanation. It doesn't matter either way, I just suppose some fans get a bit hurt when booing is involved during games. You know what, why doesn't every game just end in a tie, so both teams win! Wouldn't want anyone's feelings getting hurt.

TheOriginalSilf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 11:46 PM
SensPromo
AKA "Inf4mous0ne"

vCash: 50
You're captain being boo'd on home ice = fail

SensPromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 07:22 AM
kyle747

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSAftw View Post
Agree. I've heard Alfie say he doesn't like it.

IMO it's too bad sens marketing guys are hopelessly gay. You want to know why we don't have 14K season tickets? Because of the attitude that thinks names like "Red Scarf" are cool.

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 07:44 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle747 View Post

IMO it's too bad sens marketing guys are hopelessly gay. You want to know why we don't have 14K season tickets? Because of the attitude that thinks names like "Red Scarf" are cool.
Marketing is not going to get you 14,000 season tickets.Some markets are big season tickets bases some are big walk up crowds.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 08:00 AM
kyle747

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
Marketing is not going to get you 14,000 season tickets.Some markets are big season tickets bases some are big walk up crowds.
Yes, it will.

Marketing is a lot more than having attractive pens to give out. And the "walk up" excuse is nothing more than an excuse to me. You have to convert those "walk up" crowds into season tickets, we've had some success with that.

I believe we've gone from 8800 to about 11K at one point (don't have the real numbers at hand)

There has to be a long-term strategy (like say EDM has) and it has to be executed properly. As young sens fans hit their middle twenties they need to be converted into ticket holders.

Old
09-04-2010, 08:25 AM
SENATOR

When you see a leaf's fan next to you booing your captain. Punch him in the face.
I do believe there should be no fighting in sports, especially in the Olympic sports like hockey. It is against Olympic charter, sportsmanship and being a professional athlete . But hell, you can fight on the stands, support your team, silence the idiots!!

SENATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 09:07 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Yes, it will.

Marketing is a lot more than having attractive pens to give out. And the "walk up" excuse is nothing more than an excuse to me. You have to convert those "walk up" crowds into season tickets, we've had some success with that.

I believe we've gone from 8800 to about 11K at one point (don't have the real numbers at hand)

There has to be a long-term strategy (like say EDM has) and it has to be executed properly. As young sens fans hit their middle twenties they need to be converted into ticket holders.
Look at all pro sports some of the best marketed teams have very low season ticket numbers.Then you have some teams that give tickets away as well as food just to get a season ticket holder that not the way to go.The teams that have a massive amount of sucess don't give tickets/food/parking awy they play it smart and don't give awy things just to get season ticket holders they have away the odd item or 2 to loyal season ticket holders.

Old
09-04-2010, 10:57 AM
SensPromo
AKA "Inf4mous0ne"

Quote:

Or maybe cause sens fans generally worry too much about trying to look cool or appear not "gay", instead of worrying about supporting the team? I assume the slight was more against the name than what we do, but my comment still stands.

SensPromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Percy LeSueur

If you don't like it, you can boo their crappy captain.

Percy LeSueur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 02:16 AM
TrueSensFan

We really need to step it up in our own building.

TrueSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 03:54 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

could be worse.

we could have bruins fans cheering kessel in our building.

10-29-2010, 04:00 AM
kyle747

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
could be worse.

Is that professor chaos avatar of yours new (yes, I know it's from fun with weapons) ?

Old
10-29-2010, 05:18 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Is that professor chaos avatar of yours new (yes, I know it's from fun with weapons) ?
re-using last year's halloween avatar, but yes, i changed it after the game last night.
my regular avatar is still on his chest.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 06:47 AM
Droc
Classless

Quote:

I havent heard that. I heard in several interviews that he doesnt care and on several occasions that he enjoys it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSAftw View Post
Thats easy to assume, but you gotta keep in mind, its a new team in a small city, very close to the Habs and Leafs teams. 18 years ago this city was 100% Hab and Leaf territory. Two of the most dedicated NHL fanbases and original six teams.
Habs games, they come from Montreal by the busload. Reality is, its not just a few hundred fans booing, when its a montreal game, well over half the fans are Habs fans. Leafs, its cheaper for a leaf fan to drive to Ottawa and watch a Leaf game here then it is at the ACC.
For the Habs, its 3 games a year they get to invade another teams arena en mass.

Its easy to say Ottawa's fans are fickle, but Ottawa fans are like any other fans. Goto a Sens game when they play the Wings, Sabres, Penguins. Alfie doesnt get booed. If you took the Leafs and relocated them to downtown Chicago you would have the stadium full of Hawks fans booing them.

Droc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 06:53 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droc View Post
I havent heard that. I heard in several interviews that he doesnt care and on several occasions that he enjoys it.

Thats easy to assume, but you gotta keep in mind, its a new team in a small city, very close to the Habs and Leafs teams. 18 years ago this city was 100% Hab and Leaf territory. Two of the most dedicated NHL fanbases and original six teams.
Habs games, they come from Montreal by the busload. Reality is, its not just a few hundred fans booing, when its a montreal game, well over half the fans are Habs fans. Leafs, its cheaper for a leaf fan to drive to Ottawa and watch a Leaf game here then it is at the ACC.
For the Habs, its 3 games a year they get to invade another teams arena en mass.

Its easy to say Ottawa's fans are fickle, but Ottawa fans are like any other fans. Goto a Sens game when they play the Wings, Sabres, Penguins. Alfie doesnt get booed. If you took the Leafs and relocated them to downtown Chicago you would have the stadium full of Hawks fans booing them.
Thats what people don't get ottawa is in the smack middle of 2 of the nhl biggest markets.Just look at the jays as an exzample when the yanks or boston are in town they out number the jays fans big time.

Old
10-29-2010, 09:36 AM
QuattroFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by senators39 View Post
Sens Leafs. Alfie is the poster boy for the Sens. They hate the Sens. Therefore they hate Alfie.

A lot of it has to do with the mimmick stick throw, and a lot of it has to do with the hit on Tucker in 2002. His clown hair in 2004 didn't help any either in Leafs fans eyes.
Can ANYBODY find his mimmick stick throw video on the net? I've tried finding this forever.....

QuattroFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 09:42 AM
Alfredsson11

At least we know those games will be sold out.

Alfredsson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 10:17 AM
Skipee

I like all the Leafettes that are courteous enough to help pay Alfies paycheck. It's the ones that pour beers on the 9 year olds that are the scum of the earth(ie, the typical leaf fan downtown at a bar on a Friday night.)

Skipee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 10:26 AM
Karl Cowensson
Two Headed Monster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
could be worse.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen, they love the guy. They were thanking him the other night in Boston.

Karl Cowensson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 10:28 AM
CheeseSandwich*

They pay his salary, should be able to do what they want.

CheeseSandwich* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 12:48 PM
ISensFanI

I say next time Leaf fans are in the arena we fight them winner keeps the arena.

ISensFanI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 12:53 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISensFanI View Post
I say next time Leaf fans are in the arena we fight them winner keeps the arena.
I am sure mlse would love that another arena that makes a good amount of cash.