HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wade "Larry Robinson" Redden

Old
08-31-2010, 02:31 PM
GAGLine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionaborted View Post
Other threads suggest that Savard is still being shopped...

think the Bs will take Redden off our hands if we say offer Redden, White, Kennedy and a pick (or some such deal) for Savard??... keep in mind that I have done NO research on $$ at this point... just wondering if a deal involving Redden can be put together SOMEWHERE around the league...
There's zero chance of that happening. Those 3 players have a combined 9.425 mil cap hit. Savard's cap hit is only about 4 mil and boston is looking to clear cap space, not take on more. Even if the money did work out, the value isn't there. None of those players are of any use to boston.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 02:38 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Tell him if he plays well enough he can stay in the NHL... by trade.

Let Wade know the only way he can stay is if he plays well enough to warrant another team trading for that contract, because we sure as hell cant afford it.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 02:38 PM
Elvis Presley
Aka #30

is it possible that the media and fans scrutiny on reddens performance leads to stress to the point where it may be causing him to fail hard. but in reality i guess there is no possibility of backing off for a bit. so hes basically done :[
it also is argued that if you are being paid that much you shouldnt be having that type of trouble.

but i also kinda feel like we're all beating a dead horse here

Elvis Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 02:40 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
6.5 should fetch a nice house in Hartford

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 05:47 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionaborted View Post
Other threads suggest that Savard is still being shopped...

think the Bs will take Redden off our hands if we say offer Redden, White, Kennedy and a pick (or some such deal) for Savard??... keep in mind that I have done NO research on $$ at this point... just wondering if a deal involving Redden can be put together SOMEWHERE around the league...
Boston wants to trade Savard (who by the way is coming off a major concussion and signed a contract extension that kicks in this season that is still being investigated by the league, not to mention supposed to run 6 years) because of salary cap issues. You're proposing to send over $9 million in salary cap to Boston and every player you have involved is a cast off from other teams. Not even sending the Rangers 1st rounder would get that trade done.

Sather signed Redden to a deal that, given his production on the ice, is untradeable--especially since it has 4 more years to run. Sather is going to have to deal with the consequences, no one is going to save him on this one.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 05:50 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Tell him if he plays well enough he can stay in the NHL... by trade.

Let Wade know the only way he can stay is if he plays well enough to warrant another team trading for that contract, because we sure as hell cant afford it.
Why would any team (where management has actually watched him play the last 3-4 years) take him? Especially since he has 4 years left on his contract.

Old
08-31-2010, 06:58 PM
pwoz

I wouldn't trade any more than a 2nd rounder for Savard (assuming other cap hits were removed to accommodate his ridiculous contract). He's too much of a risk... and I'm still bitter we got rid of him the last time.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 07:01 PM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

This is all speculation but if Wade comes into camp and is the dude that we gave that monster contract to... then it'll turn into a battle between him and Roszival for a roster spot. We could dump Rozi's salary, his cap hit is higher than his actual salary and he's actually NHL-quality. I HIGHLY doubt that will happen but it is a possibility. I'd actually root for that to happen. Redden, like it or not, is an asset on our payroll. Him playing well will always benefit us.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 07:02 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Why would any team (where management has actually watched him play the last 3-4 years) take him? Especially since he has 4 years left on his contract.
If he instantly became a 1st pairing defenseman in camp, maybe.

Point being that even if he looks to be our best defenseman, he cant stay here, no matter how unlikely it is. The Frolov signing was the writing on the wall for Wade.

We pretty much have a choice of Staal or Redden for this season. Im gonna go out on a limb and say management will take the young 23 year old.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 08:09 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
He could make it very difficult for Sather. Glen isnt going to demote a guy who is giving it his all and making the team outright. Could be very difficult.
What is difficult about not playing someone you think isn't good enough?

It's been almost a week since the latest bash Redden thread. Some of you guys are losing the eye of the tiger.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 08:14 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
If he instantly became a 1st pairing defenseman in camp, maybe.

Point being that even if he looks to be our best defenseman, he cant stay here, no matter how unlikely it is. The Frolov signing was the writing on the wall for Wade.

We pretty much have a choice of Staal or Redden for this season. Im gonna go out on a limb and say management will take the young 23 year old.
Sorry, I don't think a decent/even excellent training camp will erase the way Redden has played for the last 4 years--if this was the last year of his contract? Then maybe. But not with 4 years to go. The teams that can "afford" him, don't want him and the teams that need his cap hit can't afford it.

He's the organization's problem regardless of how well he plays. Thank you Glen Sather.

Old
08-31-2010, 10:02 PM
missionaborted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gift of Gaborik View Post
This is all speculation but if Wade comes into camp and is the dude that we gave that monster contract to... then it'll turn into a battle between him and Roszival for a roster spot. We could dump Rozi's salary, his cap hit is higher than his actual salary and he's actually NHL-quality. I HIGHLY doubt that will happen but it is a possibility. I'd actually root for that to happen. Redden, like it or not, is an asset on our payroll. Him playing well will always benefit us.
The problem is, if Redden "earns" that roster spot... WHEN can we expect him to stop playing and revert back to what we have seen over the last couple of seasons... I think he is done.

missionaborted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 10:24 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gift of Gaborik View Post
It seems to be after Redden has given his last use to the franchise, being a weapon for Slats to use in the Staal talks, he will be sent to the Wolfpack. Of course he is going to give it his best shot and if the Staal talks go bad and Redden looks like his old self again he could keep his spot and Slats may look to do something with Staal.

Likely what will happen is Staal will sign and Redden will go bye bye. There isn't enough cap space for both, it's that simple.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 09:53 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
What is difficult about not playing someone you think isn't good enough?

If he doesnt look FANTASTIC, than the call will be easier.

But if he does look FANTASTIC.

09-03-2010, 11:04 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
If he doesnt look FANTASTIC, than the call will be easier.

But if he does look FANTASTIC.
if you repeat it enough times it will come true.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 11:12 AM
TreeSapLlama

While I personally don't expect it to happen, if Wade Redden started to play like an ACTUAL 6.5 Million dollar defensemen, then I am positive his fan club would fill faster then washington's bandwagon. The Rangers could absolutely use a stabilizing experienced #1 vet dman on the team. But I don't think that will be Redden.

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 823
I was wondering if the NHLPA would agree with the NHLs proposal about adding weight to contracts over 5 years like Reddens contract, would there be another free buyout time like there was after the lockout, would this be a good time to buy out Redden's contract and maybe even Drury?

Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 01:03 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

More like Wade "EPIC FAIL" Redden...

He's done and I hope he magically disappears from this team.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 01:31 PM
Ail
k.

I'll forgive him if he has a career season and wins the Norris.

rip
Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 03:14 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

I don't know about you guys, but if he plays how he's paid I'd want to keep him.
I remember him being good(not constantly looking lost) for Ottawa until they played Anaheim.

CHGoalie27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 03:23 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
I don't know about you guys, but if he plays how he's paid I'd want to keep him.
I remember him being good(not constantly looking lost) for Ottawa until they played Anaheim.
I hope this is sarcasm.

Are some of you people in this thread for rea?

HAVE ANY OF YOU WATCHED THIS GUY PLAY HOCKEY THE LAST TWO YEARS?

I mean SERIOUSLY.

SERIOUSLY.

Just unbelieveable.

Why don't we bring back Leetch?

I mean seriously guys. Ifs and buts. Ifs and buts.

I agree Wade could still play on our bottom pairing, but what's the point? We're better off without him and his cap hit and seeing some of the younger guys.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 03:31 PM
bleetch2c

Hi everyone, I'm a new poster but I've followed the site for a number of years now.

I think the discussion is moot at this point, Redden is done, he was on the decline before we signed him and he will never play at the level to make him an asset with any value. It's time that we forget about about Wade and move on. He's a sunk cost. Let's just worry about getting Staal signed and moving forward.

bleetch2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Balej20*

give the guy credit at least for trying.

he may not have anything left, he's vastly overpaid, nobody really wants him here anymore, we can all agree on that. but at least he didn't just pack it in and accept his fate, and that's good to see.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 03:36 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
I hope this is sarcasm.

Are some of you people in this thread for rea?

HAVE ANY OF YOU WATCHED THIS GUY PLAY HOCKEY THE LAST TWO YEARS?

I mean SERIOUSLY.

SERIOUSLY.

Just unbelieveable.

Why don't we bring back Leetch?

I mean seriously guys. Ifs and buts. Ifs and buts.

I agree Wade could still play on our bottom pairing, but what's the point? We're better off without him and his cap hit and seeing some of the younger guys.
Well, I'm glad I read to the bottom of the thread before I replied to anyone. Thank you.

Redden is not going to magically turn into a first pairing d man. The chances of that happening are so remote that its not even worth discussing. The earth opening up and swallowing MSG is probably more likely to happen than Redden all of a sudden growing younger and remembering how to be a great player again.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 03:53 PM
eco's bones

Whether or not he can still be a bottom pairing defenseman is not the point. He's being paid to be a No. 1 d-man. 5-6-7 spots are for younger players or replaceable veterans. When you're making as much money as he is and you've dropped that low in the pecking order you're replaceable. IMO under those circumstances it's almost imperative that he be replaced. Continuing to go with him is equivalent in my eyes to the team accepting being a mediocrity. For his play over the first two years in all honesty he should be giving some money back. Ditto for Drury--especially last year.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote