HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wade "Larry Robinson" Redden

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-03-2010, 11:03 PM
  #76
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck
 
donpaulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: nihon
Country: Japan
Posts: 1,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
If he doesnt look FANTASTIC, than the call will be easier.

But if he does look FANTASTIC.
I applaud your support of the WADE

but you need to ask yourself how is it that redden put himself in this position ?

its not like coach didn't give him a shot, because he did. Torts said so in the exit interview

this WADE myopia leads me to conclude that you haven't read what coach said about mr 6.5 for 4 years.

My guess is that redden is sent down and plays the season in the AHL and is called up after the trade deadline and given another shot to prove he deserves to be in the NHL.

It is at THAT POINT he either plays fantastically or not.

The cap numbers are just too ugly to come to another conclusion assuming Staal is a ranger

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 01:48 AM
  #77
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,526
vCash: 500
I'll believe it when I see it happen. Of course I'm an optimist. I hope he wins the Norris, but will understand if he plays in Hartford or gets loaned to Omsk.

Its $$$ issues but its a PEOPLE issue as well. He hasn't been THAT bad. He's just eating too much of the cap.

Not a good message to send to the future UFA we are interested in.....

__________________
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man
I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 01:58 AM
  #78
bleetch2c
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
I had been of the opinion that sending Wade down the the AHL to play out the remainder of the contract would be a bad message to send to the future UFA's that we may try to bring in had we sent Wade down in the first or even second year of the contract. However, he has now arguably played himself off the team, regardless of the contract. I don't think it is a certainty at this point that he is a bottom pair NHL defenceman. I only think that argument is valid if he is a bona fide NHL'er who is sent down because of and only because of his contract, at this point, Wade is most likely still a fringe NHL'er but I'm not sure for how much longer if he continues his slide, and that argument holds less and less water each passing year.

bleetch2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 02:10 AM
  #79
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Not a good message to send to the future UFA we are interested in.....
What kind of message would we be sending if we guaranteed a player a roster spot, regardless of how he played?

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 05:10 AM
  #80
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,769
vCash: 500
Our history as far as signing UFA's from other teams is definitely a mixed bag. Since the cap was implemented it almost doesn't need to be said that a team (any team) cannot afford to make large long term mistakes and hope to stay competitive. It also means player/prospect development is more key to a team's (any team's) long term success. With possibly the exception of Detroit the real contenders for the Cup year in and year out are led by young players--Crosby/Malkin--Ovechkin/Green--Toews/Kane. Signing UFA's may be a way to rectify the balance with teams with young elite players but even better is to have your own. In recent years numerous UFA's have hurt us more than anything--Redden, Drury. If Kotalik was still here he would be another one. Got lucky getting rid of him. If the next potential Redden wannabe is scared off signing with us because we buried him in the minors all the better. I don't completely buy that theory though--Washington buried Nylander but that won't necessarily stop someone like a Knuble signing with them.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 03:55 PM
  #81
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 6,485
vCash: 500
Thought this was hilarious:

From rotoworld (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...ort=NHL&id=557)

"Wade Redden may be facing job security issues in New York.
There has been speculation, beginning last season, that Redden may be sent to the AHL to erase a $6.5 million cap hit. Redden has looked good thus far so it may be difficult for the Rangers to part ways."

Wow. Someone didn't do their homework.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 04:03 PM
  #82
azrok22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Thought this was hilarious:

From rotoworld (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...ort=NHL&id=557)

"Wade Redden may be facing job security issues in New York.
There has been speculation, beginning last season, that Redden may be sent to the AHL to erase a $6.5 million cap hit. Redden has looked good thus far so it may be difficult for the Rangers to part ways."

Wow. Someone didn't do their homework.
They're quoting this source, which doesn't even really say that:

Quote:
Another player facing job security issues is Wade Redden. Most observers assume that the 33-year-old defenseman, who is signed through 2014, will be sent to Hartford to erase his $6.5 million cap hit. The assumption makes sense - the Rangers need to make cap room to re-sign restricted free agent Marc Staal, and if Ryan McDonagh plays his way onto the roster, the rookie from the University of Wisconsin will cost $1.3 million against the salary cap. Still, Redden has been a regular at the informal skates, a decent sign that he’s going to make it as hard as he possibly can for the Rangers to send him down.
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/rangers/#ixzz0yapW5F6i

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 12:44 AM
  #83
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck
 
donpaulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: nihon
Country: Japan
Posts: 1,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
I'll believe it when I see it happen. Of course I'm an optimist. I hope he wins the Norris, but will understand if he plays in Hartford or gets loaned to Omsk.

Its $$$ issues but its a PEOPLE issue as well. He hasn't been THAT bad. He's just eating too much of the cap.

Not a good message to send to the future UFA we are interested in.....
I think NY could have used a Norris winning performance over the first 2 years of the contract. had that happened we probably wouldn't be here tossing the WADE under the bus.

One has to wonder what redden wants.

the first would obviously be to be a member of the NY rangers, the question is what is his second choice ?

play in the AHL with a post trade deadline callup ?
go to the KHL and get first line minutes ?
Or perhaps sweden or switzerland. Its not such a bad life after all he is earning 6.5 megabucks

perhaps the players working contract details what can and cannot be done, but after seeing what happened to in Chicago with their goalie situation and Huet leaving for the EU that is an option as well.

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 12:51 AM
  #84
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?
 
wubwubwubwub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 13,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
Torts said that Redden was pretty much toast in the exit interview last year. He was given ample opportunity to prove he should stay on the club and he didn't meet the criteria. Add to it Slat's ginormous contract offer and well ... there you have it in a nutshell

doesn't meet the criteria of being an NHL defenseman on a Tortarella led team
&
harms the teams chances of winning with his cap hit

So unless he is "Larry Robinson" get used to seeing Wade in the AHL where he can collect Mr Dolan's money in peace.

I could see him being called up down the stretch run assuming there is enough cap space at that point to afford him AND that Larry err Wade has a sufficient amount of fire under his @$$ to help NY win those 4 point games around the 70-80 game mark

Further, I believe Redden's "greatness" stems from being paired with Zdeno Chara and all that he brings to the table. Yet for all the Senator's talent they parleyed it into a single finals run which fell short resulting a number of players leaving town thereafter.
Aside from youre laughable ignorance regarding the Sens... Redden never really played with Chara whatsoever. He spent most of his Sens days with Rachunek and Meszaros.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 12:55 AM
  #85
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 8,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
I think NY could have used a Norris winning performance over the first 2 years of the contract. had that happened we probably wouldn't be here tossing the WADE under the bus.

One has to wonder what redden wants.

the first would obviously be to be a member of the NY rangers, the question is what is his second choice ?

play in the AHL with a post trade deadline callup ?
go to the KHL and get first line minutes ?
Or perhaps sweden or switzerland. Its not such a bad life after all he is earning 6.5 megabucks

perhaps the players working contract details what can and cannot be done, but after seeing what happened to in Chicago with their goalie situation and Huet leaving for the EU that is an option as well.
The problem with sending Redden off to Europe is that he's not European. He doesn't have any following there, unlike Huet, who has previously played in Switzerland. Heck, Redden didn't even choose to play in Europe during the lockout.

He's the gift that keeps on giving.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 03:42 AM
  #86
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck
 
donpaulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: nihon
Country: Japan
Posts: 1,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
Aside from youre laughable ignorance regarding the Sens... Redden never really played with Chara whatsoever. He spent most of his Sens days with Rachunek and Meszaros.
laughable

I said that I believe, that is hardly a firm comment. I have watched a number of sens games over the years but am hardly a hardcore fan. Then again living in Asia has put a crimp in my hockey watching.

for the record YOUR use of the English language is laughable

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 08:52 AM
  #87
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
play in the AHL with a post trade deadline callup ?
If Redden gets sent down, he won't be coming back up until next offseason. The Rangers aren't going to risk someone picking him up at half price and sticking us with a 3.25 mil cap hit for the remainder of his contract.

It may be unlikely that any team would take him on re-entry, but the Rangers still wouldn't risk it IMO.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 10:16 AM
  #88
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
I think we've been through this before. If all of a sudden he was a top player I'd hate him even more for being so worthless until his career was on the line. On one hand, you would think that he can't be that dumb. But on the other hand, the only time he showed any emotion in his whole tenure with the Rangers was yelling at Tortorella when he was benched.

But I think the last thing we have to worry about is Redden being too good to send to Siberia.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 11:31 AM
  #89
free0717
Registered User
 
free0717's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Old Bridge, NJ
Posts: 2,146
vCash: 500
There is no redeeming anything. Wade Reddens game was lost two years prior coming to the Rangers. The guy has had 4 bad years in a row. Come to your senses. The guy is done. Send him to Hartford. Maybe in two years, when the new CBA comes around, we get a free buyout.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 01:03 PM
  #90
egelband
Registered User
 
egelband's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Yokohama
Country: United States
Posts: 2,027
vCash: 500
you know, it's funny. redden's actually not a horrible d-man. he's a second or third pairing guy. and he's serviceable. it's just that his contract is sooooo ridiculous for what he provides. he is capable of looking pretty good, particularly in camp...so not only does he need to go, but he is in a good position to make that a tough-ish call. which is annoying.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 01:29 PM
  #91
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
you know, it's funny. redden's actually not a horrible d-man. he's a second or third pairing guy. and he's serviceable. it's just that his contract is sooooo ridiculous for what he provides. he is capable of looking pretty good, particularly in camp...so not only does he need to go, but he is in a good position to make that a tough-ish call. which is annoying.
Yep and I mentioned that before. It's only his contract. Sending him down (or the threat of sending him down) is simply for us to ice a formidable, competing lineup. We cannot do that if he is on the team because of his cap hit, not his play.

It is a necessity at this point.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 02:36 PM
  #92
JimmyStart*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleetch2c View Post
I had been of the opinion that sending Wade down the the AHL to play out the remainder of the contract would be a bad message to send to the future UFA's that we may try to bring in had we sent Wade down in the first or even second year of the contract. However, he has now arguably played himself off the team, regardless of the contract. I don't think it is a certainty at this point that he is a bottom pair NHL defenceman. I only think that argument is valid if he is a bona fide NHL'er who is sent down because of and only because of his contract, at this point, Wade is most likely still a fringe NHL'er but I'm not sure for how much longer if he continues his slide, and that argument holds less and less water each passing year.
Any UFA or any1 who knows what a hockey puck is knows that Redden's contract is one of the worst if not the worst in the game today...possibly of all time. No one will look at Redden being sent down as a reason to avoid the Rangers.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 05:23 PM
  #93
Black Tank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: a NYer in England
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
There is no redeeming anything. Wade Reddens game was lost two years prior coming to the Rangers. The guy has had 4 bad years in a row. Come to your senses. The guy is done. Send him to Hartford. Maybe in two years, when the new CBA comes around, we get a free buyout.
This is the real issue - Redden had declined consistently with each year worse than the one before and there is no reason to believe he can change that on a dime. He's 34 now and completely washed up. He is not an adequate 5-6 guy b/c he brings nothing to that spot other than minimal competency, ffs Strudwick was a better 5-6 guy.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 06:43 PM
  #94
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 8,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tank View Post
This is the real issue - Redden had declined consistently with each year worse than the one before and there is no reason to believe he can change that on a dime. He's 34 now and completely washed up. He is not an adequate 5-6 guy b/c he brings nothing to that spot other than minimal competency, ffs Strudwick was a better 5-6 guy.
Let's not stretch things past the breaking point: Strudwick is not, was not and will never be as good as Redden is now.

As others have said (over and over), Redden is still a NHL caliber defenseman. However, given his outrageous cap hit, it's likely he will be in the AHL.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 09:20 PM
  #95
JimmyStart*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,569
vCash: 500
If the Rangers traded Redden for a single puck I guarantee you that puck will find the back of the net more in one game than Redden does in the whole season...just a thought.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 09:25 PM
  #96
Kane One
HFB Partner
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,229
vCash: 823
So why can't the Rangers just give Redden an extension that will just be for like 500k for a few years, wouldn't that bring down his current cap hit?

Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 11:00 PM
  #97
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck
 
donpaulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: nihon
Country: Japan
Posts: 1,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
So why can't the Rangers just give Redden an extension that will just be for like 500k for a few years, wouldn't that bring down his current cap hit?
I suggested as much earlier in the offseason and it wasn't too popular a post

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 11:14 PM
  #98
Kane One
HFB Partner
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,229
vCash: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
I suggested as much earlier in the offseason and it wasn't too popular a post
Yea I think your response to my question was the first answer anyone has given me regarding anything about Redden and the salary cap.

Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 07:54 AM
  #99
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
So why can't the Rangers just give Redden an extension that will just be for like 500k for a few years, wouldn't that bring down his current cap hit?
I don't believe it works like that. I believe they would be looked at as separate contracts. I think what would happen is he'd still have a cap hit of $6.5 mil for the next 4 years and then the 500K contract would kick in with its cap hit for however long you've signed him.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 09:42 AM
  #100
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,532
vCash: 500
Doesn't Redden kinda HAVE to go regardless of how he plays? I'm not a cap geek, but I was under the impression that with the moves made this summer and Staal's impending contract, salary would have to be moved off the books.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.