HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Are Los Angeles Kings Blackhawks West?

Old
08-30-2010, 11:19 PM
Prince

vCash: 500
Are Los Angeles Kings Blackhawks West?

Nice article about the Kings defence @ yardbarker.com.

Front page on fox sports.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl
or
http://network.yardbarker.com/nhl/ar...s_west/3135325

"Thus, the Kings now possess deep and solid forwards, deep netminding, and an elite blueline. This balance is only found in one place outside of Los Angeles: Vancouver, who has better forwards and goaltending but only a good blueline."

Last edited by Prince: 08-30-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 11:27 PM
Hatter
All about the Bob

Time Will Tell

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 11:55 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Not sure you can really compare the 2010-11 Kings to the Cup winning Blackhawks. Let's breakdown the roster.

Kopitar > Toews
Brown < Kane
Smyth < Hossa
Williams < Sharp
Simmonds = Byfuglien
Stoll < Bolland
Ponikarovsky = Versteeg
Handzus > Madden
Richardson < Brouwer
Parse < Ladd
Westgarth < Eager
Clune < Kopecky

The Hawks had the speed, skill, talent, depth and balance all throughout their forward lineup. The Kings simply do not match up well with the Cup winning Blackhawks forwards. Not let's breakdown the defense:

Doughty = Keith
Johnson < Seabrook
Mitchell > Campbell
Scuderi > Hjalmarsson
Greene > Sopel
Drewiske < Boynton

The defense is just about even, although I'd give the Hawks the slight edge due to them having three more experience and balance. If the Kings added another veteran puck moving defenseman in place of Drewiske, then I'd say the Kings blueline can be better than Chicago's defense.

In net, the Hawks have the experience, but Niemi was just as unproven as Quick was last season, although Niemi is an older player. I'd say they are just about even in terms of talent in net.

It is close, but the Kings have ways to go in having a group of 12 forwards that are as good as last year's Blackhawks.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 01:42 AM
yankeeking

IMO everything rides on Bernier if this kid is as good as we all hope and can/gets to play 30-35 and deliver 20 or so wins as a backup we should do alright even may win the division, with a tight defence and anyone of our lines getting hot we could have a hell of a season can hardly wait.......GO KINGS GO

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 02:01 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Maybe. Depends on if the forwards step it up and find chemistry. Then if our goaltending breaks out we will be better than the Hawks, but first our offense needs to become remotely close to theirs.

Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 02:08 AM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

vCash: 567
Well they are both in the west so the answer is no.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 03:02 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Kopitar > Toews
Brown < Kane
Smyth < Hossa
Williams < Sharp
Simmonds = Byfuglien
Stoll < Bolland
Ponikarovsky = Versteeg
Handzus > Madden
Richardson < Brouwer
Parse < Ladd
Westgarth < Eager
Clune < Kopecky
Toews just put up 29 points in 22 playoff games, led his team to the cup, and won the Conn Smyth. Unless we're talking about the regular season exclusively, Toews > Kopitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Doughty = Keith
Johnson < Seabrook
Mitchell > Campbell
Scuderi > Hjalmarsson
Greene > Sopel
Drewiske < Boynton
Pretty hard to compare the two since they play very different games, but I'll just say that Campbell has become very underrated. He's one of the best PMDs in the game.

Also, Sopel is capable of playing at a level that Greene is not. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have Greene in general, but when Sopel decides to turn it on, he's the better of the two. It's just pretty rare that he decides to actually play.

Last edited by johnjm22: 08-31-2010 at 03:13 AM.
johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 05:09 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

JJ22,

Going to agree on one and disagree on another.

Kopitar/Toews, I love Toews as a player, he brings everything, but I think Kopitar has a higher ceiling. Don't underestimate how much Kane and Toews feed off each other, coaches have to game plan for both these guys equally because they are both elite offensive players. Kopitar doesn't have that luxury, coaches aren't wondering how to stop Ryan Smyth, Justin Williams, Wayne Simmonds or whoever else TM has on Kopitar's line. Kopitar would have been a 100 pt scorer last season with a talent like Kane on his wing.

As for Campbell...well about 10 years ago on another board I used to post at someone came up with something called "The Brind'Amour Effect" it was when a guy (Brind'Amour in this case) was called underrated for so long they eventually become overrated, I think the opposite has happened with Campbell, people make such a big deal about the contract that they forget that he is still a pretty damn good hockey player. And with all things being equal he is a better hockey player than Willie Mitchell.

And as far as this argument goes, the Kings have better goaltending and probably a better D 1-6, but the Hawks talent up front was so much better than the Kings, we still only have one true Top Line forward, they had three.

The Kings should be a very sound defensive team next year, with good d-man, good two way forwards and good to great goaltending, but this is still a team that is going to struggle to score 5 on 5.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 07:21 AM
Haik

I always thought the Blackhawks were the Blackhawks of the west.

Haik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 10:22 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

We dont have a first line that is anywhere near Chicago's. Up front we are simply not at Chicago's level.

And as much as I like our Willie, No, he is NOT better than Campbell.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote