Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

SYP's 2010-11 Flames Team Preview

Old
08-31-2010, 12:01 PM
BC Ben

vCash: 50
SYP's 2010-11 Flames Team Preview

The hardest thing about writing about hockey is being impartial about teams within your division. So when SchoolYourPool.com Fantasy Hockey began its trek through the NHL for its annual team preview series, we knew that landing in Calgary would be one of the biggest tests. Thats because the writer has fealty to the hated Canucks.

Well, after reading the preview, I believe that Balls has done Calgary justice, especially in his statement that Jarome Iginla is the best player over the last decade - and honestly, I had a hard time debunking that claim... not that I tried

So Flames fans... Check you TEAM PREVIEW and provide your comments, suggestions and praise...

BC Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 12:13 PM
jtommyt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Ben View Post
The hardest thing about writing about hockey is being impartial about teams within your division. So when SchoolYourPool.com Fantasy Hockey began its trek through the NHL for its annual team preview series, we knew that landing in Calgary would be one of the biggest tests. Thats because the writer has fealty to the hated Canucks.

Well, after reading the preview, I believe that Balls has done Calgary justice, especially in his statement that Jarome Iginla is the best player over the last decade - and honestly, I had a hard time debunking that claim... not that I tried

So Flames fans... Check you TEAM PREVIEW and provide your comments, suggestions and praise...
Sounds pretty much like what most of us have been saying. In all likelihood, this is probably overly optimistic. You've got us at 241 projected goals this year. That would have been good enough for 6th overall last year. I'm just not sure that this team has changed enough to justify a 40 goal increase. Hopefully we're all right, and last year was just an aberration, and not a trend.

Either way, it's a good read.

jtommyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 12:24 PM
BC Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtommyt View Post
Sounds pretty much like what most of us have been saying. In all likelihood, this is probably overly optimistic. You've got us at 241 projected goals this year. That would have been good enough for 6th overall last year. I'm just not sure that this team has changed enough to justify a 40 goal increase. Hopefully we're all right, and last year was just an aberration, and not a trend.

Either way, it's a good read.

Balls believes this is a bumper year for goal scoring... not just in Calgary, but Boston too (of his recent previews).

40 additional goals is a lot, but if Iggy gets going again, the blue line chips in and if a few more bounces go your way, I can see a push to 230+ goals.

Just make sure that they aren't against the Canucks See you guys on the ice for a pre-season battle September 21st!

Old
08-31-2010, 03:33 PM
GoFlames

Not a bad write up...

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 07:42 PM
Lunatik*

the thing that's skewed the most is his projected lines... Stajan will not be centering Iginla and Tanguay and Jokinen will not be playing the wing... the forward lines are more likely to look like one of these...

Tanguay - Jokinen - Iginla
Backlund - Langkow - Bourque
Hagman - Stajan - Glencross
Ivanans - Conroy - Jackman

or

Hagman - Stajan - Bourque
Glencross - Langkow - Backlund

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 07:51 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
the thing that's skewed the most is his projected lines... Stajan will not be centering Iginla and Tanguay and Jokinen will not be playing the wing... the forward lines are more likely to look like one of these...

or

True fair enough but with that coach one never knows who is paird with whom. If Langkow is 100% I like that team... it actually looks surprisingly good. One of the big IF's will be to see how Tanguay does. I am looking forward to him having a bounce back season and really hope that him and Iginla rekindle the old chemistry. I would be happy to see Langkow play with them as well should he be 100%.

As Flames 123 says the Flames really have two second lines and I think this season should not be as dissapointing as last year, or the past three seasons when you look at the total lacklustre play down the stretch.

Old
08-31-2010, 07:53 PM
BC Ben

I think Stajan will be given every opportunity to play on a scoring line... He has to make good on his potential this year, right? RIGHT?!?

Anyways - Flames fans... I have to apologize to those that attempted to access your preview today - our site was experiencing technical difficulties as we are in the midst of adding a chat feature for the Signature League and this is what has been slowing/shutting us down for most of the day. It has been disabled, so go get your good news!!

Old
08-31-2010, 08:30 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Ben View Post
I think Stajan will be given every opportunity to play on a scoring line... He has to make good on his potential this year, right? RIGHT?!?

Anyways - Flames fans... I have to apologize to those that attempted to access your preview today - our site was experiencing technical difficulties as we are in the midst of adding a chat feature for the Signature League and this is what has been slowing/shutting us down for most of the day. It has been disabled, so go get your good news!!
Stajan with Hagman and Glencross would essentially be a 2nd line... and Sutter is know to put pairs together and keep them together... which is why I think the Flames will go with a 1st line and a 2a and 2b lines...

our 1st line is set for the time being its been all but stated by both Sutters that Tanguay - Jokinen - Iginla will start the season as the top line...

after that I see us as having 4 2nd liners (maybe 5 depending on Backlund)... I think having Backlund/Langkow/Bourque and Hagman/Stajan/Glencross will have our '2nd' and '3rd' lines score at a very similar pace... don;t let seeing Stajan on the '3rd' line fool you into thinking their job won't be to score goals

another thing is the Flames have staed thehy want a playmaker type on each of the top 3 lines... the 3 guys we have that can move the puck well are Tanguay, Stajan and Backlund... so it's safe to assume you will not see any 2 of them playing on the same line as another

Old
08-31-2010, 08:59 PM
FacepalmBenning
FIRE EVERYONE!!!!!!!

I honestly think the Flames would be better served to have Jokinen and Iginla on separate lines. Both play their best when they're the trigger-man on their line. Jokinen has said in the past that he couldn't play his best game while playing with Iginla. I know the Flames seem insistent on pairing those two together but now with the Flames new found depth of quality centers, I think they could afford to put them on separate lines.

FacepalmBenning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 09:21 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
I honestly think the Flames would be better served to have Jokinen and Iginla on separate lines. Both play their best when they're the trigger-man on their line. Jokinen has said in the past that he couldn't play his best game while playing with Iginla. I know the Flames seem insistent on pairing those two together but now with the Flames new found depth of quality centers, I think they could afford to put them on separate lines.
I think the big problem wasn't chemistry between Jokinen and Iginla, it was each feeling the need to pass before shooting, partially because they had a scrub on their left side... with Tanguay being with them, they will have a guy that has the hands and vision to get them both the puck... I give the line October to gel, if its not working I would actually throw Langkow between Iggy and Tangs and reunite a line that saw Tanguay and Langkow put up career highs in points

Old
08-31-2010, 11:38 PM
GoFlames

Yup. And IF, which should be likely, Tanguay can gel with Iginla and Joker by default then great. Tanguay seems to always look for the pass rather than the shot, will be great having him back. If Tanguay can be teh Tanguay we all know then I think the first line will be just fine.

Old
08-31-2010, 11:57 PM
HighLifeMan

Quote:

or

I really dont see both Jackman and Ivanans in the line up at the same time.
Jackman can and will fight on any given occasion so why have both of them in the lineup?

I think we will see something along the lines off ;
Jackman - 55GP
Ivanans - 27GP

And have Either Moss or Stone As permanent players on the roster.

Or have ;
Stone - 55GP
Ivanans - 27GP

And have Jackman full time on the 4th line.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 12:30 AM
BC Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Jackman can and will fight on any given occasion so why have both of them in the lineup?

Jackman - 55GP
Ivanans - 27GP

Or have ;
Stone - 55GP
Ivanans - 27GP

I completely agree with your assessment (and number of games) for Ivanans... This guy is a great person to plug into the lineup for rough and tumble games, as an injury insert - but I'd be wary about using him for more than half a season.

Old
09-01-2010, 08:39 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post

Jackman - 55GP
Ivanans - 27GP

Or have ;
Stone - 55GP
Ivanans - 27GP

Jackman and Ivanans have absolutely nothing to do with each other... other than size they don't have alot in common... Jackman is a very good skating pest in a goons body... he should be a very similar player to Nystrom except much bigger and not quite as productive offensively... and Jackman isn't a good fighter, he just does end up fighting because he doesn't turtle and get labeled an enforcer because of his size

Old
09-01-2010, 11:21 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Jackman and Ivanans have absolutely nothing to do with each other... other than size they don't have alot in common... Jackman is a very good skating pest in a goons body... he should be a very similar player to Nystrom except much bigger and not quite as productive offensively... and Jackman isn't a good fighter, he just does end up fighting because he doesn't turtle and get labeled an enforcer because of his size
I still don't understand the point in having both in the lineup full time. Ivannans should see limited action compared to a guy like Stone. No one gives him any credit, but I still hold that many flames fans will be surprised by his work ethic and pk skills. Not too bad in close either, decent hands. Jackman isn't a horrible fighter, I've seen him throw some good ones. Kind of like Prust, he may not get the take down cause of his size...But he sure as hell will leave his mark.

4th line should be:

Stone-Conroy-Jackman

for the most part. However Stone has to be healthy first.

Also if Langkow is going to be on this team and he's back to 100% I would like playing him top line over jokinen.

Tanguay-Langkow-Iginla
Hagman-Stajan-Bourque
Glencross-Jokinen-Backlund
Stone-Conroy-Jackman

Assuming that moss is gone. Either way someone up front has to go if backlund has a hope of being in the top 9.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 11:37 AM
HighLifeMan

Quote:
Well, I understand that but personally for me I just dont believe Ivanans is a good enough player to play more than 30 games a year without being a detriment on ice.
Last year Mcgrattan played roughly 33 games (not sure the exact number), this year we have more players pushing for a spot and much better depth overall.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
I still don't understand the point in having both in the lineup full time. Ivannans should see limited action compared to a guy like Stone. No one gives him any credit, but I still hold that many flames fans will be surprised by his work ethic and pk skills. Not too bad in close either, decent hands. Jackman isn't a horrible fighter, I've seen him throw some good ones. Kind of like Prust, he may not get the take down cause of his size...But he sure as hell will leave his mark.

4th line should be:

Stone-Conroy-Jackman

for the most part. However Stone has to be healthy first.

Also if Langkow is going to be on this team and he's back to 100% I would like playing him top line over jokinen.

Tanguay-Langkow-Iginla
Hagman-Stajan-Bourque
Glencross-Jokinen-Backlund
Stone-Conroy-Jackman

Assuming that moss is gone. Either way someone up front has to go if backlund has a hope of being in the top 9.
Ivanans will play against any team dressing a heavyweight... he will play 40ish games at least

and it doesn't matter what you like... the Flames have all but announced Iginla, Jokinen and Tanguay will start the season together

Old
09-01-2010, 12:02 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Ivanans will play against any team dressing a heavyweight... he will play 40ish games at least

and it doesn't matter what you like... the Flames have all but announced Iginla, Jokinen and Tanguay will start the season together
I could live with him playing 30-35 games. Anything more is too much.

Old
09-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
I could live with him playing 30-35 games. Anything more is too much.
why? roll our top 3 lines and use Conroy/Jackman on the PK... Ivavans barely has to touch the ice... him being on the bench is a deterent for cheap shots because he is just Loco enough to leave the bench to attack the offender

Old
09-01-2010, 12:53 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
why? roll our top 3 lines and use Conroy/Jackman on the PK... Ivavans barely has to touch the ice... him being on the bench is a deterent for cheap shots because he is just Loco enough to leave the bench to attack the offender
I think Stone and Jackman provide enough deterent on their own, then we can roll 4 solid lines. If we are playing a team with a "boogard" then bring in Ivannans. 20, 30, 40 games, whatever amount he plays I think he should be limited to his role. Stone should be playing in all other situations. I'd like to try Stone on the PK as well.

Old
09-01-2010, 01:21 PM
flames123

Quote:
d he's back to 100% I would like playing him top line over jokinen.

Lanks in no longer the player he used to be and would be a disaster on the top line. Maybe a few games here and there, but not the majority of the time.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 01:26 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames123 View Post

Lanks in no longer the player he used to be and would be a disaster on the top line. Maybe a few games here and there, but not the majority of the time.
I'm not a fan of jokinen though, if it works out with Tangs then that'll be great. Langkow can play the 3rd line shutdown role. But I like the way Langkow and iggy play together, and if he's healthy I think the two would gel and langkow could put up 60 pts.

Ultimatly I'd still rather trade him if thats an option, then go after a bigger player.

Old
09-01-2010, 01:31 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames123 View Post

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions without seeing him play. Selanne was another guy that had been written off prematurely. Injuries can do that to you.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 01:42 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
I wouldn't jump to any conclusions without seeing him play. Selanne was another guy that had been written off prematurely. Injuries can do that to you.
+1 to that. I hope Langkow can have a bounce back season esp as with the cap hit he has moving him would be really next to impossible if he doesn't.

Old
09-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Signature
Kings of the Rebuild

If Langkow is 100%, staying here, and we have problems with our starting lineup, I can see the top 9 changing to this:

Bourque-Langkow-Iginla
Tanguay-Jokinen-Hagman
Backlund-Stajan-Glencross

The only thing I don't really like about the setup is that Backlund is on the third line, not developing properly, and that I don't know if Tanguay can supplement both Hagman and Jokinen as shoot-first players.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote