HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

New Edge: Flat bottom V cut

Old
02-13-2010, 10:09 AM
Pierre Gotye

vCash: 500
New Edge: Flat bottom V cut

Not sure if you guys know about this or not, but this is the new trend for getting your blades sharpened:

http://www.blackstonesport.com/

A couple of guys I play with have had this done, and they felt their skating felt less choppy and much smoother.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 02:05 PM
Hockeyfan68

I'm an old dog who likes to learn new tricks. I would try this ... for sure.

My age of being over 40 I could use any advantage possible in the lighter weight department or blade edge technology that allows for more speed and less fatigue when playing.

I wish I could get $600 skates too because they do not weigh anything ..... but those will have to wait a bit. This sharpening however I would absolutely do today if I could. I have not heard of it being around here yet.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 02:11 PM
AIREAYE

Im goning over to Hockey Experts and getting it done today, Ill let you guys know how it feels

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 03:33 PM
jsykes

Hockeyfan, I dont know how far this place is from you in NH, www.noicingsports.com you could try them. They also do it by mail by simply sending them your steel and they send them back to you. There is no one around me doing it and I talked to no icing and will be having them do an FBV for me. If I like it, I'll have a spare set of steel to swap off and send to them when it needs to be done.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 04:32 PM
Pierre Gotye

I got mine done today. Haven't skated on them yet, but will do so later tonight. I got mine in the 100/50 cut.

Running your finger through the blades you can feel an immediate difference. It seems like less snow will make friction between your two edges.

Oh yeah:

Old
02-13-2010, 04:36 PM
CanadaBacon

Blackstone has been offering this for quite a while. Blademaster now offers it as well.

Pretty much you get the same edge you are used to plus and a hell of alot more glide.

For double the price of a hollow cut, you have to find out if the glide is worth it for you, it was not for me, im back to 5/8"

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 04:47 PM
CuteHockeyBunny

How fast does it wear out and does anyone know the effect size?

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 04:59 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
Hockeyfan, I dont know how far this place is from you in NH, www.noicingsports.com you could try them. They also do it by mail by simply sending them your steel and they send them back to you. There is no one around me doing it and I talked to no icing and will be having them do an FBV for me. If I like it, I'll have a spare set of steel to swap off and send to them when it needs to be done.
I'm about 250 miles or so from there.

From the posted image above it looks like i would use the 100/50 setup since i like a 3/4" hollow as it is. I want less bite and more glide. Maybe after trying them out i would want something else but from what i see I would go with that 100/50 deal.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 02-13-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old
02-13-2010, 05:25 PM
jsykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
For double the price of a hollow cut, you have to find out if the glide is worth it for you, it was not for me, im back to 5/8"
Might want to look around. From what I'm hearing, most places around the country doing them are only charging a buck or so more for the FBV. No-icing sports only charges $1 more than normal hollow.

Old
02-13-2010, 06:05 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Might want to look around. From what I'm hearing, most places around the country doing them are only charging a buck or so more for the FBV. No-icing sports only charges $1 more than normal hollow.
have gone to ever shop in the Hamilton area, have been to numerous shops in Halton, Niagara, Peel, Toronto. Everyone charges 10$

Old
02-13-2010, 07:27 PM
HowToHockey

I did a review of this on my blog, I was going to post and see if there were any updates but I saw a previous post and thought the topic might have been played out, guess not!

A lot of NHL players are using it, others state it feels like they are "gliding" on top of the ice.

I guess with the ROH sharpening you can pick if you want better gliding, or more bite, but not both. With the FBV you get both. It just came out early 2009 and has really taken off. I spoke with the guys at blackstone and asked them for a list of NHL players who are using it to post to my site, but they said the list is so big now that they stopped counting.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 08:13 PM
jsykes

Quote:
have gone to ever shop in the Hamilton area, have been to numerous shops in Halton, Niagara, Peel, Toronto. Everyone charges 10$
Well, it costs me $8 for a regular hollow around here, so $10 wouldnt be bad in my case.

Old
02-13-2010, 08:20 PM
Saved*

Quote:
Blackstone has been offering this for quite a while. Blademaster now offers it as well.

Pretty much you get the same edge you are used to plus and a hell of alot more glide.

There isn't an FBV for my specific hollow. I use a 3/4ths now, and the sharpener claimed the closest was equivalent to a 5/8" cut.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 09:47 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rented Mule View Post
There isn't an FBV for my specific hollow. I use a 3/4ths now, and the sharpener claimed the closest was equivalent to a 5/8" cut.
There wouldn't be. The point is that it gives you the bite of a deeper cut while you get the glide of a higher cut like the one you're already using. So while most would notice the difference in terms of increased glide, you wouldn't notice much of a difference in that regard, but would notice increased bite.

There's not really much point to a FBV with low bite.

cptjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 10:30 PM
jsykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rented Mule View Post
You could probably go with one of these:

Quote:
FBV 5/8: This selection is good for skaters who are currently skating on hollows in the 5/8-3/4" range. Also called the Blackstone 90/75

FBV 3/4: This selection is good for skaters who are currently skating on hollows in the 3/4-7/8" range. Also called the Blackstone 90/50
Taken from the FBV info section on no-icing sports website. http://noicingsports.com/fbv.html

Old
02-13-2010, 11:31 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Well, it costs me $8 for a regular hollow around here, so $10 wouldnt be bad in my case.

Really? wow. Its 5 bucks at the most everywhere around here

PS 90/75 felt really deep (compared to a 5/8"), thats what i was using....Not saying it is just that i thought it did.

Old
02-14-2010, 01:00 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
You could probably go with one of these:

Taken from the FBV info section on no-icing sports website. http://noicingsports.com/fbv.html
According to that site you posted this would be for me to try first.

FBV 3/4: This selection is good for skaters who are currently skating on hollows in the 3/4-7/8" range. Also called the Blackstone 90/50

I wish someone around here were doing this. I like the glide feeling when skating on ice that has an unfrozen thin layer of water on it like when the Zambo just gets off.

I picture this feeling like that ... am I close?

Old
02-14-2010, 01:42 AM
CanadaBacon

Feeling was the same for me, you just glide longer

Old
02-14-2010, 02:51 AM
Saved*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
There wouldn't be. The point is that it gives you the bite of a deeper cut while you get the glide of a higher cut like the one you're already using. So while most would notice the difference in terms of increased glide, you wouldn't notice much of a difference in that regard, but would notice increased bite.

There's not really much point to a FBV with low bite.
I don't really need a lot of bite. I'm a pretty advanced skater by all standards, and the way I have my blades is perfect for me. I tried the ranged FBV, but there was just far too much bite for my liking. I can turn on a dime without it.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 03:34 AM
wondeROY

I don't really see how this is much different then using a really deep hollow, it seems you would just be on your edges all the time. I like a 5/8" hollow, not alot of edge, I'm not sure how this could benefit me, I may call my LHS and ask if they offer it yet, i'll try everything once.

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 11:38 AM
Pierre Gotye

After skating on it in a game last night, I definitely liked the FBV better than the other set-up(7/16).

I definitely felt that, there was better grip, faster turning, and quicker acceleration. Not a significant amount, but a noticeable one.

The main thing I noticed was that it felt like there was less friction inside of the blade than with the traditional U-cut.

I would definitely recommend this set-up for anyone and will probably never consider anything else.

Old
02-14-2010, 01:14 PM
Placebo Effect

Been skating on FBV for months, definitely can notice a difference.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 02:42 PM
AIREAYE

got a FBV done for only $4 , i got it for the 1/2" equivalent, or 50/100 or 100/50 dont remember which. Its definately less grippy than a fresh 1/2" and feels like a well honed 9/16"

Ill update it after my game tonight. Happy Chinese New years and v-day folks

Old
02-14-2010, 05:50 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
got a FBV done for only $4 , i got it for the 1/2" equivalent, or 50/100 or 100/50 dont remember which. Its definately less grippy than a fresh 1/2" and feels like a well honed 9/16"

Ill update it after my game tonight. Happy Chinese New years and v-day folks
where did you get it done? Mississauga?

Old
02-14-2010, 06:41 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
where did you get it done? Mississauga?
Hockey Experts in Scarborough