HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Esche in the World Cup?

Closed Thread

Old
06-01-2004, 10:27 PM
Dave Carlson

vCash: 500
Esche in the World Cup?

At the bottom of the article, posted on the flyers website, Esche mentions that playing in the World Cup should be no problem. hmmmmm

Esche Has Successful Surgery

Flyers goaltender expected to make a complete recovery

Flyers goaltender Robert Esche had successful surgery on a torn labrum on Monday afternoon in Pittsburgh, PA. Below is a transcript of what Flyers team physician Dr. Peter DeLuca, as well as what Esche himself had to say about it.

DeLuca: "Robert Esche had his surgery done today at St. Margaretís hospital in Pittsburgh by Dr. Mark Phillipone. It went extremely well. Dr. Phillipone found when he scoped his hip that he had a torn labrum, which is a rim of cartilage that surrounds the entire socket, and he was able to repair that and he feels that heís going to be 100 percent when this season comes around."

How long did the surgery take?
DeLuca: "It took two and a half hours."

When can Robert start therapy?
DeLuca: "He is going to start in a few days. Right now heís going to be on crutches with partial weight bearing for about a week or two. Heíll be able to go into a pool and start to run in a pool in about three or four days."

Who will be overseeing that?
DeLuca: "Jim McCrossin, the Athletic Trainer/Strength and Conditioning coach for the Flyers."

Have you talked to Robert?
DeLuca: "I have not personally, but Jim McCrossin accompanied him out to Pittsburgh and did speak with him about an hour ago. Itís currently about 7:30. He said he that has no pain and is very comfortable."

What was performed, and how is your left hip right now?
Esche: "Actually, Iím in no discomfort. We're driving back from Pittsburgh right now, and on the way going down before surgery I was really sore, and have been sore all season long it was achy and painful all year long. Since the surgery, Iím not even on any painkillers right now. The surgery was about four, five or six hours ago I guess and my hip feels great. Thereís no pain, no discomfort, there's no nothing. Right now it feels great. They repaired a torn labrum, they stitched it together, they stitched a torn tendon together, and they also shaved down some of my bone so it wasnít knocking off the cartilage and they cleaned it all out. It really feels great. The only soreness that I have is where the incisions were made on the outside of my leg."

When can you start therapy?
Esche: "Actually today right after surgery I rode the bike for 20 minutes there with the doctor, so I'm basically in the therapy stages right now. He told me that he didnít see the World Cup as even being close to a problem. He thought that Iíd reach that deadline with no problem and he also thought that I could be on the ice as early as the middle of July if I continue progressing."

Old
06-01-2004, 10:30 PM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
That's good to hear. Hopefully he doesn't get bull headed and start if he still feels discomfort. We want him 100% for next season.

Old
06-01-2004, 11:43 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
I find it extremely unlikely that the US goes with him as starting goaltender after all this, even if he feels up to the task.

Old
06-02-2004, 12:20 AM
goodrev

i dont at all, he is the only proven goaltender out of the 3 the US chose, dipietro and conklin both are inconsistent and have a lot of developing to do, esche is the closest out of those 3 to being a complete player

if esche can play in the world cup, he is the starter just like he was a week ago

Closed Thread