HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Inline skating question?

Old
09-03-2010, 09:37 AM
Blueland89

vCash: 500
Inline skating question?

Hey guys been skating hard for about 3 months now and I'm am still skating on the original wheels on my Bauer RX:05 skates. I know in ice hockey you are supposed to be skating on your edges does the same apply in inline. I can skate fairly well forwards and backwards but sometime i will try to get on my edges of the wheels hard when i do my crossovers coming around the back of the net and my skates want to slip. I was wondering am i wrong for doing this is could this be a result of having the original wheels I've been thinking about buying some grippers, hoping that would help on my turning, stoopping, and crossovers. This board has helped me so much just wanted to thank everybody.

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 02:22 PM
AIREAYE

You're supposed to rotate the wheels every now and then so that they wear down evenly on both sides

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 02:35 PM
BrockH
HFBoards Sponsor

There's no such thing as a true 'edge' in inline, but as far as technique goes the principle is still fairly transferable. Air's right, you do need to rotate your wheels periodically, but you also need to replace them before they're completely worn. When you first get a pair of wheels, the surface is completely smooth. This means more points of contact with the ground and better grip. As wheels wear, they become less even and you lose some of those points of contact, meaning your wheel could slip more. If it's extremely worn, the angle of the wheel will also tend to change which has a more pronounced impact.

If you use your wheels exclusively indoor on smooth cement, the wear should be very even and smooth. If that's the case, then rotating your wheels is still a necessity but they should last you a very long time (3 months would not be enough to wear them down). If you use them outdoors though even a few times, any surface with bumps is going to cause the kind of uneven wear that reduces grip. If that's the case, I'd say get some new wheels and use those wheels exclusively for inline hockey.

Most of my experience comes inline speed skating (which I do indoor and outdoor, with different sets of wheels for each). One set of wheels will last me a year or 2 indoors. One set will last me 80km outdoors. Use the indoor wheels outside even once, and there no good for indoor racing anymore.

You should check the durometer rating on your wheels (indicates how hard they are). Typically, the harder the wheel, the less grip but the faster it goes (less friction and give). Also, hard wheel = rougher ride on bumpy surfaces. I skate on 83a or 85a wheels, the hardest I've seen are 87a. Assuming a smooth cement surface (which is what I grew up playing inline on), you would probably want something softer since I'm either on asphalt or surfaces specifically designed to grip at high speeds. I'd guess high 70s but I don't really know.

Last edited by BrockH: 09-03-2010 at 02:46 PM.
BrockH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 02:36 PM
dabeechman

I played roller for about 15 years. I only switched wheels out when they were starting to break down (crack). I would only rotate them when I was able to visibly start to see a minor variance in wheel shape from inside edge to outside edge.

More than likely what you have going on is either too hard of a wheel for your surface, or are just not putting enough pressure on that foot to make the skate stick.

What durometer and surface are you playing on?

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 02:59 PM
doobie604

hope you're not using those indoors, rx05 comes with out door wheels and they're not the best outdoor wheels either.

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 03:56 PM
LarryO

In general, the more you lean on ice hockey skates, the more grip you have (unless your boot touches the ice, of course. On rollers, the more you lean, the less grip you have. That's why braking techniques are so different, actually opposite in a way, between ice and roller.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 04:10 PM
Blueland89

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
In general, the more you lean on ice hockey skates, the more grip you have (unless your boot touches the ice, of course. On rollers, the more you lean, the less grip you have. That's why braking techniques are so different, actually opposite in a way, between ice and roller.
Yeah I have trouble stopping too becasue all the videos i see are about stopping on ice

I play outside and it's concrete not too rough of concrete though.

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 05:43 PM
AIREAYE

Then almost all of the low end skates use outdoor wheels, as does the RX:05, Vector 02 etc.

In general if you're playing on concrete/outdoors, go for wheels with a hardness of 80 and up

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote