HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NHL may reject KOVY and Luongo deals. Issues Ultimatium.

Closed Thread

Old
09-02-2010, 11:39 AM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 500
IMHO, I don't see the league voiding past contracts like Hossa and Luongo.

I think those names were mentioned strictly as threats. I don't know much about the current CBA, but would the league be allowed to penalize the respected teams/players? I mean they signed the contract a year ago....

Old
09-02-2010, 11:41 AM
mgeise

From the OP, I got the feeling that they will allow the Hossa, Luongo, and new Kovy deals to exist as long as this loophole is closed. I really don't see the NHL voiding any deals (except the Kovy deal, because it really sparked this and still hasn't been accepted) because there are so many other similar deals out there that would have to be reviewed.

That being said, the NHL is looking to establish regulations for these contracts in the future, which I love to see. So, keep the NHLPA happy by grandfathering in all the current contracts, but stop teams from doing this in the future.

Old
09-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Hockify

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
Contracts where the player plays beyond their 40th birthdate:

-Luongo
-Zetterberg
-Franzen
-Pronger
-Hossa
-Lecavalier
-Brodeur
-Recchi
-Draper
-Lidstrom
-Whitney
-Dipietro
-(Kovy)

1. If the Luongo deal is voided, then the NHL has to explain why it's okay for Brodeur and Dipietro to play beyond their 40th birthdate.

2. If the Luongo deal is voided immediately, then the NHL has to explain why all the other contracts are not voided immediately.

3. If the Hossa deal is voided, then the NHL has to void the Stanley Cup just won by the Hawks. (Perhaps the Flyers and Hawks should re-play the series, sans Hossa and Pronger. No, that's too ridiculous, right? Almost as ridiculous as waiting a full season before voiding a deal.)

4. If the Hossa deal is voided, they also have to explain why it's okay for Zetterberg, Franzen, Recchi, Draper, Whitney and Lecavalier to play beyond their 40th birthdate.

5. If any existing contracts are voided, then the NHL should prepare for a player strike soon.

6. If the NHL is taking a stance on cap-circumvention, then they have to explain why other cap-circumventing deals like the Kiprusoff contract are okay.

Dipietro's contract doesn't go beyond 40 he is 40 when it ends. Minor detail I know but just pointing it out.

Old
09-02-2010, 11:46 AM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

The league has nothing to lose. If the PA refuses the "proposal", the league can go after those contracts. They'll be a massive thorn to the PA's side. Will the PA be willing to go to arbitration for each and every contract like those? Maybe I'm just drinking too much kool-aid, but I don't see how the PA would want to go through all that trouble.

Old
09-02-2010, 11:50 AM
johnnycanuck

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but Elliotte Friedman makes a strong case for the NHLPA perhaps having a little more leverage than some may think. The PA would probably welcome a second arbitration that could set a precedent for all long-term deals, while the NHL should want to avoid such a scenario, at all costs:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/ellio...-cost-nhl.html

Old
09-02-2010, 11:50 AM
yukoner88

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby604 View Post
THANK GOD!

12 years of Luongo is insane.

5 years 30 million or get bent.
This+your avatar=

Im not a Canucks fan but I'm still intrigued by whay might be going thru Gillis' head over this

Old
09-02-2010, 11:58 AM
hatterson
Global Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
Contracts where the player plays beyond their 40th birthdate:

-Luongo
-Zetterberg
-Franzen
-Pronger
-Hossa
-Lecavalier
-Brodeur
-Recchi
-Draper
-Lidstrom
-Whitney
-Dipietro
-(Kovy)

1. If the Luongo deal is voided, then the NHL has to explain why it's okay for Brodeur and Dipietro to play beyond their 40th birthdate.

2. If the Luongo deal is voided immediately, then the NHL has to explain why all the other contracts are not voided immediately.

3. If the Hossa deal is voided, then the NHL has to void the Stanley Cup just won by the Hawks. (Perhaps the Flyers and Hawks should re-play the series, sans Hossa and Pronger. No, that's too ridiculous, right? Almost as ridiculous as waiting a full season before voiding a deal.)

4. If the Hossa deal is voided, they also have to explain why it's okay for Zetterberg, Franzen, Recchi, Draper, Whitney and Lecavalier to play beyond their 40th birthdate.

5. If any existing contracts are voided, then the NHL should prepare for a player strike soon.

6. If the NHL is taking a stance on cap-circumvention, then they have to explain why other cap-circumventing deals like the Kiprusoff contract are okay.
1.) DiPietro's deal is 4.5M per year, there is no front or backload. It is irrelevant if it was 1 year or 100 years in length. They are not avoiding any cap hit. Brodeur is similar with a 5.2M flat salary.

2.) Luongo has not played under his new contract. Hossa has. It's easier to void a contract that hasn't begun versus one that's already under way.

3.) The CBA gives the NHL certain powers when applying punishment. Everything including fines, cap fines, voiding of contracts and voiding of wins. They don't have do any of these, it's entirely in the digression of the league.

4.) Recchi has been on 1 year deals, no issue there. Zetterberg and Franzen expire in years that classify them as 39 years old (at the beginning of season). Draper is a 35+ contract so it's irrelevant. Whitney is 35+ and a flat amount. Lecavalier is really the only close one.

5.) I very much doubt the players strike over this. They know what a work stoppage would do, especially when they see the gains the league as a whole has made after the lockout. Players, as a whole, are getting far more money now than they were before.

6.) Kiprusoff's deal expires when he's the ripe old age of 37 (turns 38 in the season). It's no more a cap evasion deal than Jason Blake's deal is.

Last edited by hatterson: 09-02-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old
09-02-2010, 11:59 AM
SkullSplitter

Wow. . . I really hope the NHLPA doesn't give in.

Old
09-02-2010, 12:05 PM
onlyalad

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycanuck View Post
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but Elliotte Friedman makes a strong case for the NHLPA perhaps having a little more leverage than some may think. The PA would probably welcome a second arbitration that could set a precedent for all long-term deals, while the NHL should want to avoid such a scenario, at all costs:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/ellio...-cost-nhl.html
I agree that the NHLPA must have some leverage in this or the NHL would not be trying, however heavy handed it seems, to make a deal. Neither side really wants to go to arbitration again. The risk of losing is too great. Can the NHLPA agree to this deal without a vote from the members?

5 hours until the next chapter. Or will it be like TV show with "to be continued" on the screen when we thought it would be over.

Old
09-02-2010, 12:09 PM
hatterson
Global Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyalad View Post
I agree that the NHLPA must have some leverage in this or the NHL would not be trying, however heavy handed it seems, to make a deal. Neither side really wants to go to arbitration again. The risk of losing is too great. Can the NHLPA agree to this deal without a vote from the members?

5 hours until the next chapter. Or will it be like TV show with "to be continued" on the screen when we thought it would be over.
29 hours not 5

Anyway, I think the NHLPA would need a vote of some kind on this. Although it would be the same as most union votes. The NHLPA and the NHL would agree to something and the NHLPA would have it's members vote in a yes/no fashion.

Old
09-02-2010, 12:11 PM
umwoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatterson View Post
1.) DiPietro's deal is 4.5M per year, there is no front or backload. It is irrelevant if it was 1 year or 100 years in length. They are not avoiding any cap hit. Brodeur is similar with a 5.2M flat salary.

2.) Luongo has not played under his new contract. Hossa has. It's easier to void a contract that hasn't begun versus one that's already under way.

3.) The CBA gives the NHL certain powers when applying punishment. Everything including fines, cap fines, voiding of contracts and voiding of wins. They don't have do any of these, it's entirely in the digression of the league.

4.) Recchi has been on 1 year deals, no issue there. Zetterberg and Franzen expire in years that classify them as 39 years old (at the beginning of season). Draper is a 35+ contract so it's irrelevant. Whitney is 35+ and a flat amount. Lecavalier is really the only close one.

5.) I very much doubt the players strike over this. They know what a work stoppage would do, especially when they see the gains the league as a whole has made after the lockout. Players, as a whole, are getting farm more money now than they were before.

6.) Kiprusoff's deal expires when he's the ripe old age of 37 (turns 38 in the season). It's no more a cap evasion deal than Jason Blake's deal is.
To think I had to post my thoughts on my own, silly me!

Old
09-02-2010, 12:15 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

This whole thing is idiotic, and frankly illegal unless the NHL has rules I did not know of. What they are purposing would be akin to if I signed a contract for renovations on my house then decided the agreed to price was too steep and demanded they lower their rates or I would terminate the contract. Works beautifully in a fantasy world, in reality, not so much. The NHL was incompetent and should have to live with prior incompetence. Saying "Oh we were stupid before however ignore that! We are just going to change the rules now!" does not compute.

Old
09-02-2010, 12:19 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectraljulian View Post
Wow. . . I really hope the NHLPA doesn't give in.
yeah, those 4 or 5 incredibly wealthy athletes are really getting screwed!!

Old
09-02-2010, 12:21 PM
SkullSplitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
yeah, those 4 or 5 incredibly wealthy athletes are really getting screwed!!
The big thing to me here is this:

"That the cap hit on future contracts longer than five years will be calculated under a formula granting additional weight to the five years with the highest salary."

I think this just stinks for fans. So if Tampa Bay wants to sign Stamkos to a 6 or more year deal they'd be penalized? That's just stupid.

This doesn't just affect Hossa, Luongo, Kovalchuk, etc. This affects everyone, including fans.

Old
09-02-2010, 12:23 PM
SaucyNavel
GinoGinoGino

Find an owner for the Coyotes before you worry about other things.

Old
09-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Tim McCracken
Good loser = LOSER!

Too lazy to read the whole thread but it's a little whacked out that the owner's hired gun is basically telling the players he won't allow them to sign the ridiculous contracts the owners are presenting to them? Only in The Count's world......

Old
09-02-2010, 12:31 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Zetterberg and Franzen expire in years that classify them as 39 years old (at the beginning of season).
How does this really matter though?

If the league decides, unilaterally, that contracts that go to age 40 are ok, but contracts that go beyond age 40 are not, isn't that actually changing the terms of the CBA rather than investigating all potentially circumventing contracts? What right does the NHL have to determine that 39 is ok but 40 is not, since there is absolutely nothing in the CBA that separates a contract that goes to 40 from a contract that goes beyond 40?

Old
09-02-2010, 12:33 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

I think the Rangers cheated the system with Redden's contract, how do I complain about this and get it voided?

Old
09-02-2010, 12:34 PM
HawksFan37

The league can't go back in time. If there was a problem with any of the aforementioned contracts, the league should have brought their arbitration case at the time the contracts were submitted, not one year later. Or made the player ineligable while their "investigation" was ongoing, instead of letting the player play under that contract.

I think a lot of people are forgetting that these long-term deals carry a significant amount of risk to the team that is signing them. That's a heck of a long commitment to make, and a lot of money to commit. What if the player gets injured and isn't of the same value in Year 4 of the deal? You could possibly be stuck with a $5.5-$6M cap hit for a player for those last years of the deal when the player is now a $3M player. Or how are you supposed to know that the player doesn't want to play when he's 38-39? Then you're stuck with a cap hit of $5-6M for some 38-39 year old player. So there is risk involved, not just all benefit to the team's signing these deals.

The key point I think is this. When a lot of these long-term deals were signed, there was nothing specific in the rules against the long term deals, and the league through its inactions on the early long-term deals (Zetterberg as an example), created the atmosphere where teams thought they could get away with these deals. There was no Kovalchuk arbitrator's ruling at that time.

Here's the problem. Let's say I'm GM of Team X one year ago. Player Y's agent has come to me with some long-term proposal. I'm a bit skeptical of it, there's a lot of risk. What if Player Y gets hurt? What if his play drops off in year 5? That's a lot of money to commit to one guy, etc. But with the current atmosphere, there is a benefit to me from a salary cap perspective if I sign this longer term deal. I weigh the risk and the benfits, and I decide the benefits outweigh the risk. So I sign Player Y.

What if one year ago, the Kovalchuk arbitration ruling was known? Now I'm not so sure I can get that salary cap benefit. Now all of a sudden the risks start to outweigh the benefits. I have to try to renogiate the terms with Player Y (ie less money because I have more risk than benefit), or maybe I don't sign him at all.

This is why you can't go back in time. There's no telling what GMs would have done differently had they known what the guidelines were. They were following the rules, and going with what the League had been allowing at that time.

If the NHL and NHLPA want to put together some sort of guidelines going forward and on future contracts in order to bridge the gap to the next CBA, so be it. But you can't apply today's atmosphere to decisions that were made in last year's atmosphere (of which, subsequent roster decisions were based on). The NHL starts doing that, it just confirms to a lot of people that the league is a joke.

Old
09-02-2010, 12:35 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
This whole thing is idiotic, and frankly illegal unless the NHL has rules I did not know of. What they are purposing would be akin to if I signed a contract for renovations on my house then decided the agreed to price was too steep and demanded they lower their rates or I would terminate the contract.
It's not like that at all.

a) The NHL is not threatening to terminate the CBA.

b) The NHL is not demanding players take less money.

c) This issue doesn't arise from something pre-determined, it arises from a loophole in the CBA that is being exploited to damage the system.

d) The mechanism for handling this issue was agreed-upon in advance.

Nothing at all like your example.

Old
09-02-2010, 12:36 PM
edog37

Quote:
Technically they can void the cup win. There's zero chance the NHL would ever do that as it would be PR suicide. But technically they can void any win that was affected by a circumvention contract.
technically, anything is possible I agree. But they aren't going to do it as a matter of practicality. Worse case, the contract is voided, Hossa becomes a free agent & the Hawks are hit with fines/lose draft picks...

Old
09-02-2010, 12:38 PM
gongshowmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jack Sparrow View Post
I think the Rangers cheated the system with Redden's contract, how do I complain about this and get it voided?

Old
09-02-2010, 12:39 PM
TOML

Quote:

5.) I very much doubt the players strike over this. They know what a work stoppage would do, especially when they see the gains the league as a whole has made after the lockout. Players, as a whole, are getting farm more money now than they were before.

Dipietro's contract started the entire concept. Of course it matters.

Brodeur playing until that age and Hasek playing until he was older means that there is a case that Luongo could.

A player playing with an illegal contract means anything won by his team is voided. In better-run leagues, that is.

Again, the issue is age. Who's to say how old a player can be when they retire? It's okay for Recchi, Draper, Zetterberg and Franzen to play at that age, but not other players are able to? Okay.

Wanna bet? The PA just got themselves a bulldog in Fehr. If the NHL wants to play hardball, then they better be prepared for a player strike. Hello, baseball? The only thing preventing one would be that the NHL warchest is significantly bigger at the moment. I think they'll find common ground instead.

The point of the Kiprusoff long-term deal comparison is that the last cheap year is obviously tacked on to lower the cap hit. So why is his deal okay when others are not? Because he'll be younger? Okay.

Overall it looks like the NHL wants to be rid of this problem in the future. And the PA must agree that it's getting out of hand. They're talking and will probably come to an agreement soon. Hence the delay of the Kovy announcement.

If the NHL choses to void signed contracts, they'll have a lot of chaos on their hands. It's a bit much at this point, considering all the chaos the Kovy contract is creating already.

I'm expecting the Kovy deal to go through. Let the Devils live with that clusterfrack of a deal.

Old
09-02-2010, 12:40 PM
edog37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamy Freshness View Post
I don't see why they necessarily have to void the Cup. The NHL could choose to just penalize the Hawks for cap circumvention by fining them or taking away a draft pick.
this....the Cup is Chicago's (at least until next June when the Pens win it again....). The absolute worst case would be fines & picks & Hossa become a UFA.

That being said, the league is holding this hammer over the heads of the NHLPA as a set up for the next CBA.

Old
09-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Korean Kid 23 View Post
Semantics. He's not denying the situation outright. He just refuses to use the word "ultimatum".
Of course, of course. How could I be so blind.

Closed Thread