HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010-2011 Hershey Bears (AHL)/South Carolina Stingrays (ECHL) Thread

Old
10-18-2010, 08:59 AM
Funkyalligator

vCash: 500
And Nylander is still haunting the caps...lol. I don't really expect the Bears to have as good a season as last year but they should still do pretty darn well.

Funkyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 10:17 AM
Rumblick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyalligator View Post
And Nylander is still haunting the caps...lol. I don't really expect the Bears to have as good a season as last year but they should still do pretty darn well.
Upon seeing the rundown of the accomplishments from last season, one realizes it's unlikely any of us will see that again in our lifetimes.

That said, I'm guessing a 95-point season isn't out of the question.

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 11:24 AM
Foy

http://dumpnchase.com/?p=327

Bustafson back to Sweden.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 11:26 AM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
The jersey auctions in Hershey are always interesting to watch; no exception tonight with the throwback jerseys and Miskovic's going for more than quite a number of players. (I don't have specific numbers)
Funny you bring that up and the short explanation is Miskocvic was one of the last 5 to go and his was $1,400. Up to that point Joudry's was the highest at $1,400 and is more understandable considering he has the C and is one of the longer term Bears at this poin. They were pretty neat jerseys ad people just wanted them. Rather funny that Holtby and Grodo's went for $1,100. For those wondering GMac's was the most expensive and came in at $1,700. He was within the last 5 to go to but his are normally up there in price so meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post

No one can ***** at us for using that name from now on.

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 12:00 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBears View Post
Funny you bring that up and the short explanation is Miskocvic was one of the last 5 to go and his was $1,400. Up to that point Joudry's was the highest at $1,400 and is more understandable considering he has the C and is one of the longer term Bears at this poin. They were pretty neat jerseys ad people just wanted them. Rather funny that Holtby and Grodo's went for $1,100. For those wondering GMac's was the most expensive and came in at $1,700. He was within the last 5 to go to but his are normally up there in price so meh.

No one can ***** at us for using that name from now on.
I've sat through enough of these auctions to know there's a pattern with some players but some of this is no rhyme or reason, all you need is one fan who really wants someone's jersey. Given some of the jersey prices before Miskovic's I still don't buy the it was one of the last few reasoning because some very popular player's jerseys went for less than that before that time. No big deal, the person who wanted his jersey obviously got it. They were nice, but if I had bid, I didn't, I would have taken home one of the skating Bear jerseys. As some of us discussed at the auction, the fact that the Calder Cup one time jerseys are next Saturday kept some of the prices down on the throwbacks.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 12:18 PM
Funkyalligator

Well at least the Caps can suspend the contract and who knows maybe a couple years down the road if Gus finally gets and stay healthy he might be an added bonus to our team.

Funkyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 12:39 PM
sk84fun_dc

Another Nylander picture from Saturday night...not the quality of the one Strungout posted ha ha, but enjoy...

http://twitpic.com/2yhfpg

Also, there are pictures of Walton's ring on the internet on twitpic via http://twitter.com/#!/ovifan8

Old
10-18-2010, 12:55 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
that Nylander Souray picture just screams for a caption contest

Souray: I feel like an idiot.
Nyls: It only gets worse.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 12:58 PM
sk84fun_dc

Here's one more: http://twitpic.com/2yhse6

Old
10-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Rumblick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
that Nylander Souray picture just screams for a caption contest

Souray: I feel like an idiot.
Nyls: It only gets worse.
How dumb are they? They're not losing a penny in salary. I found myself thinking "God, there's over $10 million in talent out there" on several occasions. Not often you can say that in an AHL arena, even ours.

Sad part is, when Hartford hits town, that number goes UP.

Old
10-18-2010, 01:21 PM
sk84fun_dc

Ha ha, we talked about the salary on the ice a few times, too, during the game.

Souray $4,500,000
Nylander $3,000,000

plus Collins for Hershey and Clay Wilson and Nathan Paetsch for Rochester are on one way NHL contracts and there are a few guys pulling in nice AHL salaries on 2-way and AHL only contracts.

OT: Mink named AHL player of the week.

Old
10-18-2010, 02:21 PM
Foy

those guys actually make more money playing in the AHL than they would in the NHL since they don't have to pay into the escrow account.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 02:25 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
those guys actually make more money playing in the AHL than they would in the NHL since they don't have to pay into the escrow account.
Yes, it has been reported a few times re. Redden, Souray, etc. Also of note, Russo had a tweet earlier today about the % of the money now being paid to the players from last year's escrow withholding.

"Very happy room today; #mnwild handing players back escrow held from last year -- 9.21 percent of last year's salary, says Staubitz"

He stated he still needs to confirm the figure as it was from a player (Staubitz), but it's one point re. the escrow that some people often leave out.

Old
10-18-2010, 02:29 PM
KRM

Quote:

Wow, how fast things can change.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 02:51 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Souray: They made me buy the whole team and coaching staff dinner last night.

Nylander: Dude. They tied me to a goal post in Grand Rapids until I agreed to buy them a new bus. Oh and I recommend you invest in egg crate foam.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 08:23 PM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
I've sat through enough of these auctions to know there's a pattern with some players but some of this is no rhyme or reason, all you need is one fan who really wants someone's jersey. Given some of the jersey prices before Miskovic's I still don't buy the it was one of the last few reasoning because some very popular player's jerseys went for less than that before that time. No big deal, the person who wanted his jersey obviously got it. They were nice, but if I had bid, I didn't, I would have taken home one of the skating Bear jerseys. As some of us discussed at the auction, the fact that the Calder Cup one time jerseys are next Saturday kept some of the prices down on the throwbacks.
Gordo, Holtby and many of the other popular players were all in the first half of the jerseys and Miskovic have always gone for right at or under $1,000. I know this because I almost snagged some of his from last year. I was holding out for one of the Calder jerseys. They seem to do throw backs every other year or so but only one 11 Calder Cups one!

Speaking of the skating bear ones any idea how much they went for on average? I was leaving as they were on the 1st or 2nd ones of those.

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 11:41 AM
sk84fun_dc

re. the question about the skating Bear 79-80 team jerseys: We left before they finished, the few I heard seemed to be going from between 350 to 500; the only one I specifically recall is that Gibson's went for $450.

Hershey practice update:

Patrick McNeill:
"French said Patrick McNeill, recovering from offseason shoulder surgery, is scheduled to start skating on his own at the end of next week. 'I think end of November or early December is his timetable [to return to the lineup],' French said"

Sabourin: no need for speculation, but Ford staying for the short-term..."But we’re still trying to feel out the personal nature of what Dany is going through before we make any knee-jerk moves.”

from Leone's updates

Old
10-19-2010, 11:47 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Sabourin: no need for speculation, but Ford staying for the short-term..."But we’re still trying to feel out the personal nature of what Dany is going through before we make any knee-jerk moves.”
Huh?

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 01:05 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
re. the question about the skating Bear 79-80 team jerseys: We left before they finished, the few I heard seemed to be going from between 350 to 500; the only one I specifically recall is that Gibson's went for $450.
They only went for 350-500?

BTW, does anyone know what happened to Dorothy? Is she still alive? I remember her coming down to the Phantoms auctions and literally spending $15k on 3 or 4 jerseys. She would always get Neil Little's, whoever the backup was (she never even knew what his name was) and 2 or 3 others.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 01:09 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
They only went for 350-500?

BTW, does anyone know what happened to Dorothy? Is she still alive? I remember her coming down to the Phantoms auctions and literally spending $15k on 3 or 4 jerseys. She would always get Neil Little's, whoever the backup was (she never even knew what his name was) and 2 or 3 others.
Again, we didn't stay for all of them, I assume some went for more, but not many people stayed through the start let alone the end of the 79-80 skating bear jersey auction as it was after the throwback jersey auction for the current players.

Old
10-19-2010, 01:41 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Again, we didn't stay for all of them, I assume some went for more, but not many people stayed through the start let alone the end of the 79-80 skating bear jersey auction as it was after the throwback jersey auction for the current players.
Still, I remember staying until the very end at many auctions and can't remember many jerseys for going less than a grand, let alone under $500.

Old
10-19-2010, 01:55 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Still, I remember staying until the very end at many auctions and can't remember many jerseys for going less than a grand, let alone under $500.
Overall, quite a number went for under 1,000 compared to in the past, although that started a bit more end of last year, as well, IIRC. As discussed at the auction by a few of us, I believe the fact that the special Calder Cup jerseys are being auctioned off on Saturday had an impact on the bids, as well. One of the blogs had a post with the amounts for the current player jerseys from Saturday, if you track it down, I think you will be surprised I think when you see the amounts.

Old
10-19-2010, 03:12 PM
Rumblick

If I'd known the "skating Bear" jerseys were being auctioned off, I'd have stuck around. Didn't care much for the throwbacks.

The last throwback was Grant McNeill. It went as high as it did because it was the last jersey auctioned, and the woman bidding on it wanted it pretty badly, and decided to bid it up when she realized the guy she was bidding against would go as high as needed. I know this because her bids went a bit past the budget I'd set for her.

Old
10-20-2010, 08:11 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Overall, quite a number went for under 1,000 compared to in the past, although that started a bit more end of last year, as well, IIRC. As discussed at the auction by a few of us, I believe the fact that the special Calder Cup jerseys are being auctioned off on Saturday had an impact on the bids, as well. One of the blogs had a post with the amounts for the current player jerseys from Saturday, if you track it down, I think you will be surprised I think when you see the amounts.
I've been to enough live auctions in Hershey, WB/S and Philly to not be surprised by anything.

Old
10-20-2010, 10:32 AM
sk84fun_dc

Ford on way to SC link

SC injury update:

Some D injuries, plus

"Hauswirth... is listed as “questionable” for this weekend with an upper body injury. He looked fine in practice."

From Leone:

"The Bears got flu shots after Tuesday’s practice."

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 10-20-2010 at 10:39 AM.