HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Draft 2011: David Musil vs Adam Larsson

Old
09-02-2010, 12:48 PM
bleuetbio

vCash: 500
Draft 2011: David Musil vs Adam Larsson

Adam Larsson Defenceman 6"3", 210 pds Sweden
Larsson seems to be one of the most interesting prospects to come in NA in the last decade and somes think that the best Swedish prospect ever, About his game, he makes things look effortless. He's already mature with an unbelievable hockey IQ, takes the best decision with no stress at all. He skates well, never panics while defending, and has a huge shot. He could be NHL ready at just 17 yo. Larsson had tied the record for scoring in Elitserien among defencemen under the age of 18 previously owned by Tomas Johnsson in 77–78. A website compare him to Ray Bourque.

David Musil Defenceman 6'5" 200 pds Vancouver Giants
Born in Calgary and stays in Edmonton for a while, he's the son of former NHLer Frantisek Musil and Andrea Holika (tennis and sister of Bobby Holik). He got a tremenduous first year in the WHL where he puts a lot of good number.David had 7 goals and 32 points 67PIM in 71 games in the past season, and was tied for 12th overall in the WHL with a plus/minus of +33. He is realy mobile for his size, and uses this size with his strength. He was 6"2" last year, now 6"5 and could finish at 6"6-7". He has big upside, good first passe, excellent skating abilities good 2-way, leadership, he's always in progression, good hockei IQ. Musil at has the size and frame to be a monster when he fills out. I saw a comparison with PAvol Kubina but some people call him the Victor Hedman Czech's version.

In my ranking, I have Larsson 2nd and Musil 3rd, both behind Couturier of course. The questions are:

- Do you think that Musil has the assets, upside and talent to become 1st dman drafted?
- What's your personal comparison for these players?
- Is it fair to give automaticly the 1st spot to Couturier?
- If your Edmonton and Larsson is the best player in your book, Are you picking Musil because he's a local talent?
- How much points you think they will do this year?

bleuetbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 01:12 PM
Bolt32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleuetbio View Post
Larsson seems to be one of the most interesting prospects to come in NA in the last decade and somes think that the best Swedish prospect ever, About his game, he makes things look effortless. He's already mature with an unbelievable hockey IQ, takes the best decision with no stress at all. He skates well, never panics while defending, and has a huge shot. He could be NHL ready at just 17 yo. Larsson had tied the record for scoring in Elitserien among defencemen under the age of 18 previously owned by Tomas Johnsson in 77–78. A website compare him to Ray Bourque.

Born in Calgary and stays in Edmonton for a while, he's the son of former NHLer Frantisek Musil and Andrea Holika (tennis and sister of Bobby Holik). He got a tremenduous first year in the WHL where he puts a lot of good number.David had 7 goals and 32 points 67PIM in 71 games in the past season, and was tied for 12th overall in the WHL with a plus/minus of +33. He is realy mobile for his size, and uses this size with his strength. He was 6"2" last year, now 6"5 and could finish at 6"6-7". He has big upside, good first passe, excellent skating abilities good 2-way, leadership, he's always in progression, good hockei IQ. Musil at has the size and frame to be a monster when he fills out. I saw a comparison with PAvol Kubina but some people call him the Victor Hedman Czech's version.

In my ranking, I have Larsson 2nd and Musil 3rd, both behind Couturier of course. The questions are:

- Do you think that Musil has the assets, upside and talent to become 1st dman drafted?
- If your Edmonton and Larsson is the best player in your book, Are you picking Musil because he's a local talent?
I'm not knocking on Couturier or anything, as I think any other draft year he would be going number 1 in a typical draft. Larsson was NHL ready last year......think about that. Only way Couturier gets picked before Larsson is if the team with the number 1 pick is stacked on defense and needs an O-man. Even then its doubtful.

Musil I'm sure will be a solid defensemen in his own right, but for me at least Larsson is the clear cut winner here.

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Toydarian

I think you have to go with Larsson everything points to franchise defenseman and is already playing and excelling in a professional league (I also think it is more impressive for a teenage defenseman to do well in the SEL than a forward)

Musil also looks fantastic and could very well be a #1 defenseman also but Larsson appears to be the better preformer currently.

I predict (as worthless as it may be) that Musil will be the 2nd defenseman taken in the 2011 draft.

Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 03:48 PM
LucidInterval

Quote:
...somes think that the best Swedish prospect ever... He could be NHL ready at just 17 yo... A website compare him to Ray Bourque...
Sounds like a first overall pick. I don't see how Couturier compares.

LucidInterval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 03:48 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Musil could be this year's Gudbranson where he makes it obvious that he is the 3rd best player in the draft. It all depends on how he plays. He will also have a ton of competition with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins for a spot in that top 3.

But, as it stands right now Larsson is far and away the first choice. Teams build down the middle and on the blueline, not with scoring wingers like Couturier. Not saying he is bad or anything, I would just rather have Larsson at this point.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 05:31 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Musil could be this year's Gudbranson where he makes it obvious that he is the 3rd best player in the draft. It all depends on how he plays. He will also have a ton of competition with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins for a spot in that top 3.

But, as it stands right now Larsson is far and away the first choice. Teams build down the middle and on the blueline, not with scoring wingers like Couturier. Not saying he is bad or anything, I would just rather have Larsson at this point.
Gudbranson may have been selected 3rd overall, but he has never cemented his position as the 3rd bets player in this draft. His rankings were all over the place in the top ten leading up to the draft ; he was never consistently ranked above Fowler or Gormley.

Im a Florida fan, obviously i hope Gudbranson does live up to his draft status, but behind Hall and Seguin, IMO no player has made it obvious that they are #3. Indeed, i'd argue that Tarasenko taken at 16 is a better prospec than Gudbranson taken at 3.

In regards to this thread ; Larsson right now and its pretty easy. Not Musil has the two way upside to compete with Larsson's upside, and its clear right now Larsson is competing and performing at a higher level both in the league they play in, and the performances they are giving.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 10:54 PM
OK Okposo

As it stands:

1. Larsson
2. Couturier
3. RNH
4. Musil

Posistions of 3 - 4 may very, some breakout player that nobodies heard of yet will likely work there way into the top 5. Couturier could go over Larsson, but AL is the BPA imo

OK Okposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 11:30 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post

Couturier is a center although he may be listed as a winger in some places, as he played wing for a bit when he broke in with Drummondville. But anyway, Larsson is clear cut above Musil right now, no comparison. Musil would have to score 30 goals, 80 points, and outright dominate the WJC to go ahead of Larsson at this point. Also, nobody should be automatically putting Couturier ahead of Larsson. 9/10 people you talk to would put Larsson ahead of Couturier at this point.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 10:52 AM
0123456789*

Musil is still underrated and like I said can still challenge Larsson for the first overall pick/top dman. He has always put up big numbers, even last year he put up better numbers then almost all of the top former WHL dman when they were the same age within the last 10 years. Not to mention he was put in a defensive role and ended up being arguably one of the top shut down dman in the league. Musil this year will imo put up around a point per game as he is used more on the power play and relied upon more to chip in offensively. The more important part though is that he is as calm, effective and reliable on the backed as any dman I can remember seeing at the same age. And to top it off he is 6'5 and still growing, and he is even willing to drop the gloves and play a bit physical.

When you draft you draft for NHL potential, Musil with a few more years of development has as much of it as Larsson, when you add the size difference and it can become much harder to pick one over the other.

In the end though the most important part will be what happens this year, I dont know about Larsson but Musil looks like he has improved allot over the summer break and has taken another big step forward, thats a darn good thing for a player of his skill going in to his draft year.

We will see soon enough what happens.

0123456789* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Bolt32

Quote:
Originally Posted by alesmarv View Post
Musil is still underrated and like I said can still challenge Larsson for the first overall pick/top dman. He has always put up big numbers, even last year he put up better numbers then almost all of the top former WHL dman when they were the same age within the last 10 years. Not to mention he was put in a defensive role and ended up being arguably one of the top shut down dman in the league. Musil this year will imo put up around a point per game as he is used more on the power play and relied upon more to chip in offensively. The more important part though is that he is as calm, effective and reliable on the backed as any dman I can remember seeing at the same age. And to top it off he is 6'5 and still growing, and he is even willing to drop the gloves and play a bit physical.

When you draft you draft for NHL potential, Musil with a few more years of development has as much of it as Larsson, when you add the size difference and it can become much harder to pick one over the other.

In the end though the most important part will be what happens this year, I dont know about Larsson but Musil looks like he has improved allot over the summer break and has taken another big step forward, thats a darn good thing for a player of his skill going in to his draft year.

We will see soon enough what happens.
Baring an injury or Larsson suddenly grows to hate hockey and just quits. He will go first. Imagine Musil playing in the third best league in the world, how do you think he would do? Now imagine Larsson who is a number 1 D-man in the third best league in the world taking a HUGE step down into the WHL and playing there. How do you think he would do?

Larsson>>>>>>>>Musil atm.

Musil I'm sure will be a great D-man, just at the moment he doesn't hold a candle to Larsson.

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 07:54 PM
0123456789*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt32 View Post
Baring an injury or Larsson suddenly grows to hate hockey and just quits. He will go first. Imagine Musil playing in the third best league in the world, how do you think he would do? Now imagine Larsson who is a number 1 D-man in the third best league in the world taking a HUGE step down into the WHL and playing there. How do you think he would do?

Larsson>>>>>>>>Musil atm.

Musil I'm sure will be a great D-man, just at the moment he doesn't hold a candle to Larsson.
What league you play in is not as important as you think in determining your future NHL potential and draft ranking. Had Musil been Swedish he might very well have been playing in the SEL at the same age and producing, infact I think he would do very well in Larsons position. He also played in the first league in Czech republic in 2008-2009, its not the SEL but it is pretty good and he held his own at 15.

Regardless I agree that Larson has to be ranked above right now and is a absolutely great talent, but to think its not close and it wont be is simply wrong. You will see as this season moves along that the difference between Musil and Larson is not going to be very big in draft rankings.

Old
09-04-2010, 12:19 AM
Garl

Quote:
What league you play in is not as important as you think in determining your future NHL potential and draft ranking. Had Musil been Swedish he might very well have been playing in the SEL at the same age and producing, infact I think he would do very well in Larsons position. He also played in the first league in Czech republic in 2008-2009, its not the SEL but it is pretty good and he held his own at 15.

Regardless I agree that Larson has to be ranked above right now and is a absolutely great talent, but to think its not close and it wont be is simply wrong. You will see as this season moves along that the difference between Musil and Larson is not going to be very big in draft rankings.
Because they are the same age? I mean, would Musil been born 2 years before he would be competing vs Hedman and would be ranked behind him. Now you would be saying the same, that he would do well in Hedmans position. Larsson achieved something exceptional and it's bold to say that Musil would do as good.

Comparing them, Larsson is definately more NHL ready from what I've seen. There's a gap between them.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 02:09 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by alesmarv View Post

Just to be clear for readers who are not familiar with the Czech league system, Musil played 14 games in Czech 1.liga which is the 2nd tier league in CZE after Extraliga. While it is pretty good for a 2nd tier league it is questionable whether some of it´s teams are even Allsvenskan level. To play there as a 15 year old is sure very impressive, but it can be no way compared to Larsson´s achievments in SEL.

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 03:00 PM
bleuetbio

I agree that Adam should be the ast dman drafted right now but the thing can change a lot during the year. Its difficult for me to judge right now because I saw Larsson only 3 times, but I think that if Musil can reach 6"6" or 6"7", he could be like the new version of Zdeno Chara, but it's a huge statement and its a realy big maybe at this point of the year. He has all the tools to be the next one: good 2-way game, good transition game, can fight, can hit. We have something there. If he's the top dman offensivly in the WHL this year, he could be picked before Adam. At the MSP draft, Magnus was 2nd 3rd in the begining of the year in some scouting reports, and finished his ride 11th. Playing in European league coul play against AL. Also, the Oilers took Sam Gagner earlier than it should be because he's a local talent, they can repeat the song again with Musil and if Boston signs Chara, Zdeno could be the perfect mentor for David. Boston (Toronto's pick) and Edmonton could prefer David over Adam. All will depend of how much tall and great would be David at the end.

thanks everybody for the previous answer. It's always appreciate to read you.

Old
09-06-2010, 03:44 PM
Toydarian

Quote:
I agree that Adam should be the ast dman drafted right now but the thing can change a lot during the year. Its difficult for me to judge right now because I saw Larsson only 3 times, but I think that if Musil can reach 6"6" or 6"7", he could be like the new version of Zdeno Chara, but it's a huge statement and its a realy big maybe at this point of the year. He has all the tools to be the next one: good 2-way game, good transition game, can fight, can hit. We have something there. If he's the top dman offensivly in the WHL this year, he could be picked before Adam. At the MSP draft, Magnus was 2nd 3rd in the begining of the year in some scouting reports, and finished his ride 11th. Playing in European league coul play against AL. Also, the Oilers took Sam Gagner earlier than it should be because he's a local talent, they can repeat the song again with Musil and if Boston signs Chara, Zdeno could be the perfect mentor for David. Boston (Toronto's pick) and Edmonton could prefer David over Adam. All will depend of how much tall and great would be David at the end.

thanks everybody for the previous answer. It's always appreciate to read you.
In general I do agree that players in the CHL get drafted higher because of exposure but your Sam Gagner example doesn't make sense who would you have taken instead of Gagner at 6th? He is 2nd in points for his draft year behind Kane.

Old
09-06-2010, 04:09 PM
bleuetbio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
In general I do agree that players in the CHL get drafted higher because of exposure but your Sam Gagner example doesn't make sense who would you have taken instead of Gagner at 6th? He is 2nd in points for his draft year behind Kane.
1st, its not MY pick but just general consensus, but at that time, I thank that Voracek and Cherepanov should be picked before Sam. If im right, Voracek, Cherepanov and Ellerby was before him if we take all the central (NHL, mckeens, hockeysfuture....). At the begining of the draft, I remember TSN commentator said something like "we dont know who will be picked 1st, we only know where Gagner going.

Also the stats never tell the whole story. Maclean and Gagner were great of course, but Kane make them better. Another example, Brendan Gallagher is a 5th rounder in this year draft because he was in the same line than Cunningham despite the fact he scores 41 goals and over 80 pts and over 100 PIM. Some people are genius with an elite player and just normal with nobody... remember you Angelo Esposito (with "from Russia with love" Radulov)

Old
09-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Eytinge

Gagner is not a local product, isn't he from Ontario.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 11:26 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Gagner is not a local product, isn't he from Ontario.
Actually he was born and started playing hockey in Florida. But then I guess he "grew up" in Vancouver, at least for a little while.

Old
09-08-2010, 12:49 AM
Toydarian

Quote:
1st, its not MY pick but just general consensus, but at that time, I thank that Voracek and Cherepanov should be picked before Sam. If im right, Voracek, Cherepanov and Ellerby was before him if we take all the central (NHL, mckeens, hockeysfuture....). At the begining of the draft, I remember TSN commentator said something like "we dont know who will be picked 1st, we only know where Gagner going.

Also the stats never tell the whole story. Maclean and Gagner were great of course, but Kane make them better. Another example, Brendan Gallagher is a 5th rounder in this year draft because he was in the same line than Cunningham despite the fact he scores 41 goals and over 80 pts and over 100 PIM. Some people are genius with an elite player and just normal with nobody... remember you Angelo Esposito (with "from Russia with love" Radulov)
All together the 2007 draft is looking to have been relatively weak, however for obvious reasons it was a better decision to draft Gagner over Cherepanov. In regards to Voracek the difference between 6th and 7th is negligible, and also still debatable. I agree that stats don't mean everything (especially in Junior) but Gagner is an NHL regular having played 3 years and is only 21 in a top 6 role. His development has been slower than expected but it certainly hasn't stopped.

This is kind of derailing the thread (sorry for that) but I still don't think Gagner as an example supports your argument what-so-ever.

Old
09-11-2010, 10:28 AM
0123456789*

I know its the pre season but David Musil so far has had 2 goals and 3 assists in 3 games. In those three games the Giants have scored a total of 9 goals.

Also of note he set a new club record for the Grouss Grind(a popular trail up a mountain in North Vancouver that all Giant and Canuck prospects and players do as part of camp). He beat everyone out with a time of 36 minuets which is dam impressive. Craig Cunnigham was second 38seconds back and Neil Manning was third and 1.03min back. The world record is 23min and was set this summer.

Last edited by 0123456789*: 09-11-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old
09-11-2010, 10:42 PM
0123456789*

Musil is on fire in the preseason. Like I said he will be put on the pp and rack points up. Tonight he so far has another goal and two assists with one period to go, 5-3 giants against Chilliwack. After tonight there will be one more pre season game and then the real season starts and im sure he will keep showing why he will be in the discussion for first overall all. I think he is still underrated on here and people dont appreciate the player that he is and will be, yet. In any case like Larson he can play in the NHL right now, no question about it.

EDIT: 1 goals two assists in a 5-4 Giants win.

Gives him 3 goals and 5assists for 8 points in 4 games. Got points on more than 50% of all Giants pre season goals so far and is looking really good, too good for juniors.

Last edited by 0123456789*: 09-12-2010 at 12:13 AM.
Old
09-18-2010, 03:34 PM
bleuetbio

hey ales, do you where we can confirm the real size of Musil, because all the new ranking give 6"3" and a good source to me gives 6"5". Im a little bit confused now.

Old
09-19-2010, 01:12 AM
17Kurri

Quote:

Larsson is more developed right now, no doubt, and should be ranked higher than Musil. But I believe he has a chance to snatch first overall from Larsson or Couturier with some luck. The main problem will be overcoming the head start Larsson has in terms of exposure to media and the public, as well as to a pro (albeit Swedish) game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Actually he was born and started playing hockey in Florida. But then I guess he "grew up" in Vancouver, at least for a little while.
No, he was born, and primarily grew up, in London, Ontario.

Last edited by 17Kurri: 09-19-2010 at 01:21 AM.
17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 09:04 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
Larsson is more developed right now, no doubt, and should be ranked higher than Musil. But I believe he has a chance to snatch first overall from Larsson or Couturier with some luck. The main problem will be overcoming the head start Larsson has in terms of exposure to media and the public, as well as to a pro (albeit Swedish) game.

No, he was born, and primarily grew up, in London, Ontario.
Well, he played youth hockey in Florida for a few years. Yeah, brainfart there on my part.

Old
09-19-2010, 09:14 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
The way I see it, theres no way Adam Larsson doesn't go #1 overall. He's just TOO damn good. After that, I see it being Couturier, RNH, and then Musil. And while I believe Musil will be good, he's just not on Larssons level

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote