HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Article in the PG Citizen about Martin Marincin

Old
09-03-2010, 01:18 AM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

vCash: 500
Article in the PG Citizen about Martin Marincin

Here are some hilites from an article in today's PG Citizen (my home town)...and the article is titled "Marincin living up to hype"

- he's big, fast, mobile, offensive catalyst
- determined to be one of the best d-men in the dub this year
- his english isnt very good (yet)
- coach says he's a big body, quick, great hands, anticipates well, very exciting to watch, has long reach and covers a lot of ground
- happy to be here and will keep working hard to get better
- goal is to get the Cougars into the playoffs (good luck with that one lol)
- the paper is saying he is 6'3", not 6'4" but casts a long shadow
- thinks he will like playing on the smaller ice because of his reach and he can cut off forwards easier here with his long reach, he says the smaller ice is better for him
- a teammate tried to beat him in intrasquad and said it was tough because he's big and strong and has a good shot and makes good passes, and he's a good guy

Sounds good so far, i will be going to as many games as i can this year to see how good he is, and by the way, the Cougars start their pre-season in Edmonton this saturday and sunday if anyone living there wants to watch him.

TimeForAnOilChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 02:20 AM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForAnOilChange View Post
Here are some hilites from an article in today's PG Citizen (my home town)...and the article is titled "Marincin living up to hype"

- he's big, fast, mobile, offensive catalyst
- determined to be one of the best d-men in the dub this year
- his english isnt very good (yet)
- coach says he's a big body, quick, great hands, anticipates well, very exciting to watch, has long reach and covers a lot of ground
- happy to be here and will keep working hard to get better
- goal is to get the Cougars into the playoffs (good luck with that one lol)
- the paper is saying he is 6'3", not 6'4" but casts a long shadow
- thinks he will like playing on the smaller ice because of his reach and he can cut off forwards easier here with his long reach, he says the smaller ice is better for him
- a teammate tried to beat him in intrasquad and said it was tough because he's big and strong and has a good shot and makes good passes, and he's a good guy

Sounds good so far, i will be going to as many games as i can this year to see how good he is, and by the way, the Cougars start their pre-season in Edmonton this saturday and sunday if anyone living there wants to watch him.
Thanks for the update

Lots of Oiler fans realize how much potential he has and hope he can become the player people think he can be

I agree the smaller ice would seem to be a better fit in that he can simply cover a big portion of the ice, take away the middle of the ice off the rush, and use his long reach to break up the cycle game

Hopefully Connolly doesn't make the Bolts, which would instantly make them a lot better...a playoff team? Might be a stretch, but at least would give them a fighting chance

I'm probably going to hold off until reg season to see them...hopefully I can check out Connolly, Forsberg, and Marincin all at the first reg season meeting

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 02:42 AM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

no problemo, i just figured i would post what is being said about him here in PG, since i know most of the people on this site live in Edmonton or at least Alberta, if there are any more stories about him in the paper in the future, i will post what is said about him.

and on a side note (OT), i just happened to catch an episode of Everybody Hates Chris, and the story was about how his brother wanted to get an autograph of his hero, Wayne Gretzky!! I couldnt believe it, that was the coolest episode i've ever seen of that show, he even had an Oilers jersey on (with number 98 and it was spelled Gritzky lol, but who cares, it was cool to see the Oilers jersey on a show)

Old
09-03-2010, 02:55 AM
Ragss

Surprised he is only 6'3, he looked like 6'5 at the rookie camp.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 03:03 AM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
yeah i dont know, him standing near to Tambo (6'?) makes him look a lot taller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3fC8kkcyUo

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 03:09 AM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragss View Post
Surprised he is only 6'3, he looked like 6'5 at the rookie camp.
was that with or without skates on? i'm only reporting what the paper said, they could be wrong though...and even though PG isnt a very good team right now, at least we have had some good success developing good NHL d-men (Hamhuis, Chara, even Brewer before he started to get hurt all the time), so maybe he will turn out to be a good one for us (Oilers, that is)...the last Oiler drafted d-man we had in PG refused to sign with the Oil (Chartier), i hope we dont get the same sort of thing from Marincin, i'm glad Chartier never amounted to anything after he pulled that s**t...oh and the paper also said Marincin was drafted 5th overall in the KHL this year too.

Old
09-03-2010, 05:43 AM
Fourier

Quote:
no problemo, i just figured i would post what is being said about him here in PG, since i know most of the people on this site live in Edmonton or at least Alberta, if there are any more stories about him in the paper in the future, i will post what is said about him.

and on a side note (OT), i just happened to catch an episode of Everybody Hates Chris, and the story was about how his brother wanted to get an autograph of his hero, Wayne Gretzky!! I couldnt believe it, that was the coolest episode i've ever seen of that show, he even had an Oilers jersey on (with number 98 and it was spelled Gritzky lol, but who cares, it was cool to see the Oilers jersey on a show)
You may want to consider posting your obsevrations about him in the prospects thread as the season progresses. I am sure many people would appreciate a first hand report on one of the Oilers most interesting projects.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 05:46 AM
Auguste Escoffier

Quote:

Didn't his brother -Drew- buy it from the neighborhood "goods" dealer? Haha. Good times. Good times.

About 1:12 into the video!

Oh shi-- I think that's Willie O'Ree at 6:55. Double oh shi-- a few seconds later Kevin Weekes makes a cameo. I haven't seen this episode since it's original airing, so I forgot the majority of it.

Last edited by Auguste Escoffier: 09-03-2010 at 06:08 AM.
Auguste Escoffier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 06:10 AM
Auguste Escoffier

I will admit, I did not know much if anything at all about Marincin, but after watching him for those 4 days at the rookie development camp and reading what people have had to say, he has definitely caught my eye. Yes there are the "sexy" picks like Hall and Paajarvi, but the under-the-radar types like Hartikainen always grab my attention more. I will definitely be attending games when the Cougars are in town.

There are going to be a lot of Chara-like comparisons thrown around until he makes his debut, but I am curious what people will have to say when they are watching him on a nightly-basis; to see if they disagree.

Auguste Escoffier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 06:38 AM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvyEyezPK View Post
I will admit, I did not know much if anything at all about Marincin, but after watching him for those 4 days at the rookie development camp and reading what people have had to say, he has definitely caught my eye. Yes there are the "sexy" picks like Hall and Paajarvi, but the under-the-radar types like Hartikainen always grab my attention more. I will definitely be attending games when the Cougars are in town.

There are going to be a lot of Chara-like comparisons thrown around until he makes his debut, but I am curious what people will have to say when they are watching him on a nightly-basis; to see if they disagree.
yes, that was the episode, and yes that was Willie and Kevin making cameos, so cool to see the Oilers so prominent in a show (especially one in which you wouldnt expect any hockey reference, let alone an Oiler one).

Hartikainen is another one i cant wait to see in the Oil colours, but for now, i'm just glad i can watch an Oil prospect first hand all year...i might be the only Oil fan in the building lol...well, probably not, there are actually quite a few around here, which is nice, since we are stuck in the middle of (ughh) canuck territory...i hope he ends up being close to Chara-like...hope they get a good turnout for when the Cougars are in town.

i'm hoping to get to Edmonton for the tattoo convention on the oct 9th weekend, and hopefully i'll be able to get a ticket for the game on the 10th, would love to see the young guns in their 2nd NHL game.

Old
09-03-2010, 11:39 AM
noice
The Shield

vCash: 133
great pick up for sure

noice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Mentallydull

Anyone know if he likes to lay the body or if he's more like a Whitney?

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Didn't his brother -Drew- buy it from the neighborhood "goods" dealer? Haha. Good times. Good times.

Oh shi-- I think that's Willie O'Ree at 6:55. Double oh shi-- a few seconds later Kevin Weekes makes a cameo. I haven't seen this episode since it's original airing, so I forgot the majority of it.

lol, that is hysterical.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 03:50 PM
Herman72
Keep the baggage.

I can't wait to see where this kid is in 5 or 6 years. He seems to have the tools to be a force in the NHL, but only time will tell.

EDIT: Thanks to the OP for posting, it's nice to finally see some more info on Marincin come trickling in.

Herman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 07:46 PM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski44 View Post
I can't wait to see where this kid is in 5 or 6 years. He seems to have the tools to be a force in the NHL, but only time will tell.

EDIT: Thanks to the OP for posting, it's nice to finally see some more info on Marincin come trickling in.
no prob....i tried to find the same story on the citizen's online site, but couldnt find it there.

and to Mentallydull, i'm not sure yet, but it sounds like he might like to hit, will know more later this season.

Old
09-03-2010, 08:03 PM
Seachd

By the way, the Oilers kind of fumbled through his name at the draft. I'm not sure how they'll say it in Prince George, but it's MAR-in-chin.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 08:52 PM
Strapping Jocks

It's interesting that they fumbled through his name, but they had a jersey with his name plate on the back.

So he certainly was one of the picks they had planned for.

Or does a team have many, many, nameplates ready to go at the draft to deal with all sorts of changes in draft order, etc?

Strapping Jocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 09:01 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strapping Jocks View Post
It's interesting that they fumbled through his name, but they had a jersey with his name plate on the back.

Or does a team have many, many, nameplates ready to go at the draft to deal with all sorts of changes in draft order, etc?
Oh they definitely planned on him.

I just mean they butchered the pronunciation.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 09:07 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strapping Jocks View Post

From my knowledge, it seems teams have lots of nameplates made, but only targets that they are actively seeking and think there is a high chance he will be available...there were guys picked in the first round obviously where teams never thought they would be there so they didn't have a nameplate for them (Gormley, Fowler)

Old
09-03-2010, 09:10 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Oh they definitely planned on him.

I just mean they butchered the pronunciation.
It made me laugh a bit though...especially when have the names on day 2 you can barely here over the talking, I was glad when they screwed it up it came through perfectly clear

Old
09-03-2010, 09:38 PM
HemskyToHall*

Quote:

lol at the 2nd video, that's not a Gretzky jersey.

HemskyToHall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 10:52 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
FYI: I have confirmed that Marincin will play against Medicine Hat (Tyler Bunz and Tyler Pitlick) tomorrow.

I have not confirmed the Tigers players for the game on Saturday though.

Oil Kings tourney in St. Albert