HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the league continued....(Devils penalized / Ryan re-signs - 5yrs/$25.5M)

Closed Thread

Old
09-04-2010, 05:23 AM
mike14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebank_miceelf View Post
Life = Not fair.

the sooner you realize this, the happier you'll be bud.
But he's not talking life, he's talking about the NHL where the rules should be fair for all. The sooner you realize this, the smarter you'll be bud.

Old
09-04-2010, 07:55 AM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

[QUOTE=BlueshirtBlitz;27652046]And this is what Devils fans really believe. Crazy.

It's alright, just know that the majority of the fan base realizes that the entire fiasco is nuts and Kovalchuk and the Devils have lost a lot of face.[/QUOTE]

This is correct, well if you take this statement and completely 180 it, then yeah, then you are correct.

We certainly lost a ton of face signing the highest scorer in the last 10 seasons.

Cheers.

Old
09-04-2010, 08:47 AM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalRangers View Post
That is all I've wanted to see out of this. I just wanted to see a Devils fan admit that this is unfair. Thank you. Thank you for not being the other Devils fan jerk who's come here to celebrate and gloat about signing a franchise player for less money than Chris Drury. I knew there were reasonable Devils fans. I am a reasonable Rangers fan and I am not in denial that Kovalchuk will be a huge asset to your team for close to a decade. It is really hard to take.

The contract is unfair. Period. The Devils should not be able to afford him.
If that's all you want then I'll make you happy as well. It is unfair. The Devils get the last one of these deals and they get to ensure that no one else will get them again (or at least it won't be so easy). With that said, it doesn't make this feel any less better!

Old
09-04-2010, 09:11 AM
bmw2004

I am so sick of seeing Devils and Kovalchuk name all summer long.

Old
09-04-2010, 09:17 AM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

vCash: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2004 View Post
I am so sick of seeing Devils and Kovalchuk name all summer long.
Honestly. Let the season begin already please! So then the Rangers can miss the playoffs on the last day of the season again, and the Devils can finish first in the division and crash out in the first round of the playoffs again with a worn out Marty and their serious lack of depth in center and on defense. Then we can start all of this over again next June!!

Old
09-04-2010, 09:24 AM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalRangers View Post
This is such bull****. What would have been fair IMO:

1) Allow the contract AND penalize the Devils for intentionally trying to circumvent the CBA.
2) Don't allow the contract.

I mean they're just letting it go. And it's going to effect things in the Atlantic division for over a decade.

If they can make the Avery rule in a matter of hours you'd think the could take the entire summer and get this right.
exactly! what kind of message does this send? Reject a 17yr contract but accept a 15yr one? Oh ok!???

The fact that they won't allow this type of contract any longer but let NJ get by
"this last time" is complete buffoonery. They allow this fiasco to go on all summer and
basically allow NJ to circumvent the cap anyway. great job.

Old
09-04-2010, 09:25 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
I'm sure you're just being (mostly) , but I don't think extensions can be signed until the current contract is in January of its last year.
Exactly. The point was that I'm tired of Slats's "old school" stance on things. I want a savvy business man making clever decisions to maximize the quality of the product on the ice, not a spiteful old man who manages his (my) team on principle. If there's a loophole, exploit it dammit. (But yes, I am also somewhat serious in that that's the sort of contract structure that he should offer to Hank when the time comes.)

Making use of a loophole is not cheating - it is not a direct violation of the rules. Rather, it is clever leveraging of a contractual feature to your advantage that was not forseen at the time the contract was signed. It is GOOD business to take advantage of these situations - heck, you should be actively seeking them out!

But noooooooo. Slats would rather win the high ground than the Stanley Cup. I have this image of him when Kovy's agent called him this summer: "Ilya can come play here for a normal, short-term contract like everyone else. If he doesn't like it, he can go back to Russia. And no, I'm not doing one of those bull**** Hossa-esque contracts - I don't care if they're technically allowed in the rules, the point is they SHOULDN'T be. Nyah." Chomps his cigar a couple times, leaves the office, gets on the highway and then stubbornly drives in the far left lane at exactly 55MPH while everyone passes him on the right calling him an ******* and giving him the finger.

Anyway, it's not a "loophole" any longer. The situation has been specifically addressed and specific ground rules have been laid. Now that it's part of the framework... USE it, you spiteful old codger. I mean, if any team needs to take advantage of (now officially sanctioned) structuring tricks to maximize cap space, it's the Rangers!

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 09-04-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old
09-04-2010, 09:30 AM
Baggy Spandex
The Nightman Cometh

Lack of center depth and defense? Where were you this offseason? We're one d-man away from stacked IMO.

Old
09-04-2010, 09:35 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggy Spandex View Post
Lack of center depth and defense? Where were you this offseason? We're one d-man away from stacked IMO.
Well, you have to assume that either Salvador or White will be dealt with Kovy signed.

And its not like re-signing Mike Mottau is going to be a fanbase pleaser either.

The Devils have a pretty good D, as long as Volchenkov stays healthy.

Old
09-04-2010, 09:45 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

[QUOTE=ILikeItVeryMuch;27653313]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
And this is what Devils fans really believe. Crazy.

It's alright, just know that the majority of the fan base realizes that the entire fiasco is nuts and Kovalchuk and the Devils have lost a lot of face.[/QUOTE]

This is correct, well if you take this statement and completely 180 it, then yeah, then you are correct.

We certainly lost a ton of face signing the highest scorer in the last 10 seasons.

Cheers.
I guess you don't understand what saving face means. An entire summer filled with this crap has agitated most of the NHL fans. The fact that you Devils fans constantly cry about the leagues conspiracy against you, and then they give you the right to cheat the CBA after acknowledging that what your doing IS cheating the CBA, is baffling.

Old
09-04-2010, 09:47 AM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

vCash: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggy Spandex View Post
Solid, 2-way #2
Aging, injury-prone #2
Rookie
Whatever

And on D, instead of addressing their greatest need (PMD), they replace the loss of Martin with a shutdown guy and a less than spectacular two-way guy.

The Devils are going nowhere come playoff time. And now have absolutely NO cap space to fix anything at the deadline. One away from stacked? Enjoy shopping with no cap space Lou.

I can't wait for Brodeur to play another 75 regular season games. His ego is too big to allow for any less.

Old
09-04-2010, 09:57 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
I guess you don't understand what saving face means. An entire summer filled with this crap has agitated most of the NHL fans. The fact that you Devils fans constantly cry about the leagues conspiracy against you, and then they give you the right to cheat the CBA after acknowledging that what your doing IS cheating the CBA, is baffling.
One thing certainly is for sure: Devils fans no longer have the right to whine that the league is out to get them after they accepted this deal. Zero right. Will it stop them? We'll see.

Old
09-04-2010, 10:01 AM
nyr2417

Que. Brad Richards 11 years 70 mill. next off-season. 8,8,8,8,8,8,8,6,5,2,1. 6.3 cap hit

Old
09-04-2010, 10:08 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Devils won't be any better than last year.

Old
09-04-2010, 10:11 AM
nyr2417

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Devils won't be any better than last year.
theyll be slightly better in my opinion. with the defense they've built to play in that trap they're bound for success.

Old
09-04-2010, 10:27 AM
UAGoalieGuy

So how much salary do the debbies have to move to get under the cap before the season starts?

Old
09-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan4390 View Post
theyll be slightly better in my opinion. with the defense they've built to play in that trap they're bound for success.
They don't play the trap and their defense wouldn't be all that great for it anyways because they don't have puck movers.

The devils could have a hard time transitioning to offense this year...I'd be willing to bet they'll be a scary PP team but if you can make them try to play in their own end, they'll struggle 5 on 5. If you let them get out and setup on offense though, they'll be dangerous

I'm also a little wary of first time NHL coaches and how that will work out, especially if McLean tries to change things too much. He has a good assistant coaching record but things could be different as head coach.

All that said, if I'm a Devils fan I'm still more worried about the eventual downfall of Marty. I think they have a relatively small window to win it while he's still around and then they have some hard decisions to make in terms of acquiring a new goalie or developing one (is Frazee really the heir apparent, etc)

Old
09-04-2010, 10:55 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Yeah, the age of Marty is coming to an end. Even if Kovy makes the Devils cup contenders, losing Marty will shake them up. Then it can be the New York Lundqvists versus the New Jersey Kovalchokes.

Old
09-04-2010, 10:58 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
They don't play the trap and their defense wouldn't be all that great for it anyways because they don't have puck movers.

The devils could have a hard time transitioning to offense this year...I'd be willing to bet they'll be a scary PP team but if you can make them try to play in their own end, they'll struggle 5 on 5. If you let them get out and setup on offense though, they'll be dangerous

I'm also a little wary of first time NHL coaches and how that will work out, especially if McLean tries to change things too much. He has a good assistant coaching record but things could be different as head coach.

All that said, if I'm a Devils fan I'm still more worried about the eventual downfall of Marty. I think they have a relatively small window to win it while he's still around and then they have some hard decisions to make in terms of acquiring a new goalie or developing one (is Frazee really the heir apparent, etc)
Putting it nicely, I am willing to bet that McLean thinks what Lamoriello thinks. It's pretty obvious that Lamoriello has broken McLean - for him to stick around and be passed up time and time again for head coach makes Lamoriello very confident that McLean is very well versed in Devils company line.

Old
09-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

Quote:
Yeah, the age of Marty is coming to an end. Even if Kovy makes the Devils cup contenders, losing Marty will shake them up. Then it can be the New York Lundqvists versus the New Jersey Kovalchokes.
But it's all because of the system! Why does losing Marty have any effect? Anyone could play goalie in "the system".

Old
09-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

You still need to play good defense and have solid goaltending. I believe the Caps have proven that run & gun works during the season, but not in playoff hockey. And they have some pretty good puck movers.

Old
09-04-2010, 11:11 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Woops, sorry for double post- I'm posting from my phone and its bugging out.

Last edited by BlueshirtBlitz: 09-04-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old
09-04-2010, 11:25 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
The Devils might as well go all out offense this year. I still say their defense is very, very suspect and unimpressive. You have a great goalie, so why not just go for broke offensively? I think they'd win most games 5-2 or 5-3 if they did that.

Old
09-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Leetch3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
The bold part isn't true. If a player signs a multi-year contract (over 5 years and also in this situation the contract expires when he is 39), the years of the contract that are below $1M will be counted as $1M for the specific season(s) and then the cap hit will be calculated as if he is getting paid $1M those season(s).

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=332542
actually what he said is completely true. they didn't completely close the loophole or make it illegal to sign these contracts. they simply set a limit to how badly you can abuse the loophole...the end years have to be $1 mil, but in terms of a 15 year deal when a guy is making $11 mil early in the year does averaging in $1 mil instead of $550k really make that big of a difference? the cap hit will be slightly higher but you are still lowering the cap hit with bogus years...

Old
09-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
The Devils might as well go all out offense this year. I still say their defense is very, very suspect and unimpressive. You have a great goalie, so why not just go for broke offensively? I think they'd win most games 5-2 or 5-3 if they did that.
Well with J-Mac saying that he thinks that his sytem will create more offense and all of the offensive tools that we have, you might see more of that. The defense isn't too impressive but it is an upgrade over last season's defense. Martin missed most of last season and Greene ended up playing 30 minutes a night with Whie and Mottau not too far behind. Adding Volchenkov and Tallinder has to help that. Most of us are hoping that one of the rookies (Corrente, Eckford, Taormina, or Urbom) can make an impact too.

Closed Thread