HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the league continued....(Devils penalized / Ryan re-signs - 5yrs/$25.5M)

Closed Thread

Old
09-04-2010, 12:06 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
The Devils might as well go all out offense this year. I still say their defense is very, very suspect and unimpressive. You have a great goalie, so why not just go for broke offensively? I think they'd win most games 5-2 or 5-3 if they did that.
I'd be happy with that. We won a lot of high scoring games under Sutter, and that was just with Parise breaking out. I'm anxious to see what happens with two big offensive weapons.

Old
09-04-2010, 12:27 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Exactly. The point was that I'm tired of Slats's "old school" stance on things. I want a savvy business man making clever decisions to maximize the quality of the product on the ice, not a spiteful old man who manages his (my) team on principle. If there's a loophole, exploit it dammit. (But yes, I am also somewhat serious in that that's the sort of contract structure that he should offer to Hank when the time comes.)

Making use of a loophole is not cheating - it is not a direct violation of the rules. Rather, it is clever leveraging of a contractual feature to your advantage that was not forseen at the time the contract was signed. It is GOOD business to take advantage of these situations - heck, you should be actively seeking them out!

But noooooooo. Slats would rather win the high ground than the Stanley Cup. I have this image of him when Kovy's agent called him this summer: "Ilya can come play here for a normal, short-term contract like everyone else. If he doesn't like it, he can go back to Russia. And no, I'm not doing one of those bull**** Hossa-esque contracts - I don't care if they're technically allowed in the rules, the point is they SHOULDN'T be. Nyah." Chomps his cigar a couple times, leaves the office, gets on the highway and then stubbornly drives in the far left lane at exactly 55MPH while everyone passes him on the right calling him an ******* and giving him the finger.

Anyway, it's not a "loophole" any longer. The situation has been specifically addressed and specific ground rules have been laid. Now that it's part of the framework... USE it, you spiteful old codger. I mean, if any team needs to take advantage of (now officially sanctioned) structuring tricks to maximize cap space, it's the Rangers!
Really well said BRF. Sums up my feelings on this perfectly. I'm not interested in our GM being the guardian of the CBA like the old guy who guarded the Holy Grail in the Indiana Jones movie. Sather is the GM that time forgot.

Old
09-04-2010, 12:47 PM
Devilshark
Registered Abuser

This year's D should be much better. The only reason we couldn't beat the Flyers last year was because we didn't have enough size in the neutral zone to maintain puck control and go on the attack.

Just watch the film and it's pretty clear. If anything, having Kovy last year was one of the only reasons we managed to win the 1 game we did against Philly. The problem was that we had a guy who could outmanuever everybody in the neutral zone but had nobody keeping up with him when crossing over in the attacking side because they were getting bullied physically.

I'm pretty confident the Devils will get out of the first round this year, and if they do, should be looking to have a deep playoff run. We clearly had no problems dealing with any of the other powerhouses in the East.

To be honest though, I think the entire Atlantic division will make the playoffs this year. I think your Rangers will be better, as well as the Islanders.

Old
09-04-2010, 12:51 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Really well said BRF. Sums up my feelings on this perfectly. I'm not interested in our GM being the guardian of the CBA like the old guy who guarded the Holy Grail in the Indiana Jones movie. Sather is the GM that time forgot.
Let's not pretend like there are 29 GMs who were willing to abuse this, and Sather was the only staunch opponent.

Brian Burke, for example, was extremely vocal about his opposition to these deals, and only a handful of teams actually used these contracts.

Sather is many things, but don't play it off like 29 other GMs have passed him by because of this. In reality, the overwhelming majority of GMs did not engage in the practice.

Old
09-04-2010, 12:58 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilshark View Post
This year's D should be much better. The only reason we couldn't beat the Flyers last year was because we didn't have enough size in the neutral zone to maintain puck control and go on the attack.

Just watch the film and it's pretty clear. If anything, having Kovy last year was one of the only reasons we managed to win the 1 game we did against Philly. The problem was that we had a guy who could outmanuever everybody in the neutral zone but had nobody keeping up with him when crossing over in the attacking side because they were getting bullied physically.

I'm pretty confident the Devils will get out of the first round this year, and if they do, should be looking to have a deep playoff run. We clearly had no problems dealing with any of the other powerhouses in the East.

To be honest though, I think the entire Atlantic division will make the playoffs this year. I think your Rangers will be better, as well as the Islanders.
I wouldn't be confident about getting out of the 1st round at all. Your D is really unimpressive. Marty is getting older and older. New coach. Etc, etc.

There are a lot of things going against the Devils in terms of a really successful season.

Old
09-04-2010, 01:08 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Let's not pretend like there are 29 GMs who were willing to abuse this, and Sather was the only staunch opponent.

Brian Burke, for example, was extremely vocal about his opposition to these deals, and only a handful of teams actually used these contracts.

Sather is many things, but don't play it off like 29 other GMs have passed him by because of this. In reality, the overwhelming majority of GMs did not engage in the practice.

That is the point. I don't want a GM who behaves like everyone else. I want a GM who looks at the CBA and says "how can I legally get around this to best help my team". Not someone who doesn't want to hurt the CBAs feelings.

The one advantage we have over small market teams is that we can heavily front load contracts. To us the only thing that matters is the salary cap hit. Other teams are working under self imposed budgets well below the cap. Teams like that can't utilize this loophole because it requires you to pay out large amounts of money early on. So as a big market team we are declining to use an advantage available to us because our GM is standing on principle.

Take a look at the teams that have utilized this loophole. Red Wings, Blackhawks, Devils, Bruins and Canucks. Pretty good teams no? Ken Holland was the first one to start utilizing it. Who do you think has a better handle on building an NHL team...Ken Holland or Glenn Sather? I would rather follow Ken Hollands trend than Sathers.

Old
09-04-2010, 01:09 PM
NikC

IMO Kovy couldn't have picked a worse team to join to neutralize his talents.

Seeing that Marty is on the downside of career, it should be fun watching NJ become as irrelevant as the Thrashers he left.

Not to mention two babies that Avery can easily unravel...

Old
09-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

imho the devils are a legitimate stanley cup contender. ppl who think otherwise just wanna hate on them because of how much we actually hate em.

their d is always going to be good, theyve got 2 elite forwards support players, grit, etc.

Their team is worlds better than ours.

Old
09-04-2010, 02:24 PM
nyr2417

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
IMO Kovy couldn't have picked a worse team to join to neutralize his talents.

Seeing that Marty is on the downside of career, it should be fun watching NJ become as irrelevant as the Thrashers he left.

Not to mention two babies that Avery can easily unravel...
exactly I cannot wait to watch avery agitate kovy all day and take him off his game. I will guarantee at one point or another they will mutually drop the gloves and have a go

Old
09-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Senorchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
imho the devils are a legitimate stanley cup contender. ppl who think otherwise just wanna hate on them because of how much we actually hate em.

their d is always going to be good, theyve got 2 elite forwards support players, grit, etc.

Their team is worlds better than ours.
Three elite LWs and a whole bunch of meh isn't going to get them particularly far, imho. Three elite Cs (a la Pitts) - sure, but Zajac and an aging Arnott ain't going to get them far in the playoffs, especially with a D core now lacking Martin (and soon to be lacking Salvador, and god knows who else).

The Devils might be top five on the PP this year, but even strength I wouldn't be surprised if they were worse than last year - unless they swing a trade to lose salary and grab a puck moving D or two (I doubt it).

Don't get me wrong, I still think they'll do better than the Rangers next year, but I highly doubt they'll be competing for the division title, never mind conference title.

Old
09-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senorchris View Post
Three elite LWs and a whole bunch of meh isn't going to get them particularly far, imho. Three elite Cs (a la Pitts) - sure, but Zajac and an aging Arnott ain't going to get them far in the playoffs, especially with a D core now lacking Martin (and soon to be lacking Salvador, and god knows who else).

The Devils might be top five on the PP this year, but even strength I wouldn't be surprised if they were worse than last year - unless they swing a trade to lose salary and grab a puck moving D or two (I doubt it).

Don't get me wrong, I still think they'll do better than the Rangers next year, but I highly doubt they'll be competing for the division title, never mind conference title.
Martin played 22 games last year, his loss means nothing when comparing this year to last year. They D Core has Volchenkov and Talinder, 2 solid defenseman, 1 of which makes it that much harder to get shots on goal. Elite players are elite players, no matter where they play. Everyone seems to put AO as the most elite player in the game...why when Crosby plays center? Because elite is elite, their position, to me, makes little difference at this level.

Devils, Flyers, and Penguins are all going to be battling it out for the division championship..they wont win the conference because of how easy Washington has it.

Old
09-04-2010, 02:32 PM
stcatcs12

I think the Devils next year will be much the same as they were this year. They tend to give 110% more often then not during the regular season and are always a GREAT regular season team. It's when the other teams shift into another gear that they run into trouble. I expect them to finish Top 5 in the conference and bounced early in the playoffs by an "inferior" opponent.

Old
09-04-2010, 02:41 PM
IAMREALITY

Been takin all this in since last night and though as much as the approval of the contract is technically ******** (since c'mon, it's so obviously still a circumvention to anyone with even a modicum of objective reasoning ability), there's still kinda the relief feeling of "Phew! Now we can finally talk about other things than the loser Devils and start looking forward to the return of Rangers hockey!" ya know?

And besides, the majority of these types of contracts have backfired and I just can't help but think that it's all but certain this huge contract is going to end up totally exploding in their faces. Kinda makes me smile when I think about it. It's a totally loser market that won't in any way be able to feed his ego. And what do you think will become of his attitude when he sees all those empty seats in those stands lol!

He'll either get injured, realize he's on a loser team and demand a trade, or just will plain have a drop in output; all before his contract is even halfway through. Somehow, someway, this contract will come back to totally bite them in the ass. You just can't help feeling that sort of Karma surrounding all of this.

So heck with kovy and Debbies. We got training camp and a new season upon us and I'll lay down a bet right now that we beat the debs in the season series and get to laugh our ***** off at them.

Old
09-04-2010, 02:44 PM
IAMREALITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post

Somehow, someway, this contract will come back to totally bite them in the ass.

I'll lay down a bet right now that we beat the debs in the season series and get to laugh our ***** off at them.
Okay wait... Let me get this straight...

I can say Ass, but I can't say Ass es?

How totally strange LOL

Old
09-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Senorchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Martin played 22 games last year, his loss means nothing when comparing this year to last year. They D Core has Volchenkov and Talinder, 2 solid defenseman, 1 of which makes it that much harder to get shots on goal. Elite players are elite players, no matter where they play. Everyone seems to put AO as the most elite player in the game...why when Crosby plays center? Because elite is elite, their position, to me, makes little difference at this level.

Devils, Flyers, and Penguins are all going to be battling it out for the division championship..they wont win the conference because of how easy Washington has it.
Neither Volchenkov nor Tallinder have any semblance of puck moving ability, though. They're both decent defensive defensemen, but treat the puck like it's a hand grenade. Maybe Salmela breaks out... but I don't see it.

AO might be the most explosive, flashy player in the league - definitely the most entertaining - but if I'm building a potential cup-winner, I take Crosby over him 10 times out of 10. Hell, I'd even take Malkin over him. Cup winners almost always are incredibly strong down the middle, and have a couple of reliable minute-munching defensemen. Wings are an afterthought.

Old
09-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan4390 View Post
exactly I cannot wait to watch avery agitate kovy all day and take him off his game. I will guarantee at one point or another they will mutually drop the gloves and have a go
Oh ya like last season when Kovy decked Avery and then Avery pissed his pants when Kovy came back at him and faked that he was going to hit him. oooh he threw him off his game.

Around :48

Old
09-04-2010, 03:13 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senorchris View Post
Neither Volchenkov nor Tallinder have any semblance of puck moving ability, though. They're both decent defensive defensemen, but treat the puck like it's a hand grenade. Maybe Salmela breaks out... but I don't see it.

AO might be the most explosive, flashy player in the league - definitely the most entertaining - but if I'm building a potential cup-winner, I take Crosby over him 10 times out of 10. Hell, I'd even take Malkin over him. Cup winners almost always are incredibly strong down the middle, and have a couple of reliable minute-munching defensemen. Wings are an afterthought.
Volchenkov may not be the best puck handler sure. But to say Tallinder handles the puck like a hand grenade ? Your grasping at straws my friend.

Our D core is better than it was last year. In the Philly series you can see we were out matched physically which ultimately led to our demise. To combat that we added Size on the blue-line and size up the middle. Hard to say we are worse off than last yr.

Old
09-04-2010, 03:27 PM
DevilOnFire

Is Avery still afraid of Clarkson?

Old
09-04-2010, 03:27 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Look, to be clear...

The Devils are going into the new season with quite a bit of turnover with the new head coach. So if they go, say, 5-5 in the first ten games it doesn't mean that they are going to suck for the next decade.

As for jabs at the Rangers, most level headed fans dont expect 80 points from MZA this year. And there is a distinction between Gaborik's center and our #1 center.

I think both clubs are going to have a good year. Maybe we get lucky and they meet in the playoffs again for another good series.

Old
09-04-2010, 03:32 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Cat View Post
Oh ya like last season when Kovy decked Avery and then Avery pissed his pants when Kovy came back at him and faked that he was going to hit him. oooh he threw him off his game.

Around :48

You mean like every other game where they've met where Kovalchuk does something ridiculously stupid because Avery pissed him off? Yeah, that's what I expect.

Depending on how long the Rangers keep Avery, this has the potential to be a very fun 2+ years.

Old
09-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
You mean like every other game where they've met where Kovalchuk does something ridiculously stupid because Avery pissed him off? Yeah, that's what I expect.

Depending on how long the Rangers keep Avery, this has the potential to be a very fun 2+ years.
When he was on Atlanta maybe. He had nothing to lose because they suck.

I enjoyed watching him kick Avery's ass in only his 2nd game as a Devil and then decking him in the next one. I, like you, hope that they actually drop the gloves and go cleanly.

Old
09-04-2010, 03:41 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
When he was on Atlanta maybe. He had nothing to lose because they suck.

I enjoyed watching him kick Avery's ass in only his 2nd game as a Devil and then decking him in the next one. I, like you, hope that they actually drop the gloves and go cleanly.
Me too. That is a trade every Ranger player and fan will take every game they play for 2 years.

Kovalchuk is easily knocked off his game. You will see, if you haven't seen already.

Old
09-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Me too. That is a trade every Ranger player and fan will take every game they play for 2 years.

Kovalchuk is easily knocked off his game. You will see, if you haven't seen already.
I don't know. I have seen that many times when he was on the Thrashers but never on the Devils. The closest that he ever came to that was in his 2nd game when he beat on Avery and that, again, was only his 2nd game as a Devil. I doubt we see that with him on NJ. Though, I wouldn't mind him snapping at Avery.

Old
09-04-2010, 03:57 PM
BlueShirts702

vCash: 1168
Quote:
I don't know. I have seen that many times when he was on the Thrashers but never on the Devils. The closest that he ever came to that was in his 2nd game when he beat on Avery and that, again, was only his 2nd game as a Devil. I doubt we see that with him on NJ. Though, I wouldn't mind him snapping at Avery.
I can't wait for Boogey man to give Kovalchuk the Hemsky treatment.

Old
09-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShirts702 View Post
I can't wait for Boogey man to give Kovalchuk the Hemsky treatment.
And then proceed to sit on the bench, never score a goal, and take up four times his worth in terms of cap hit for the next four years.

Nice stuff to look forward to.

Closed Thread