HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

First time visor wearer

Old
09-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Stick To Your Guns

vCash: 500
First time visor wearer

So I'm finally able to wear a half visor in the league I'm joining, so I bought a used one (30$) off from the sports store. Has some scratches on it, but never the less it's good. It's a top of the line Itech attached to a Bauer 5000 helmet.

So what are some draw backs, I play my first game with it tonight? It says it has an antifog coating on it, but I heard they fog up. Should I bring a towel for the bench to wipe it? It is just pick up for the record nothing serious.

Stick To Your Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 04:37 PM
metric

Give it a spray of anti-fog and bring a towel or cloth to wipe just in case. Also, when you put your helmet in your bag either take your visor off (visors can detach with that model) or put your helmet in something like a pillow case to prevent more scratches. You can also buy replacement visors if they're really scratched up.

Fitwise it shouldn't be a problem as long as you have the correct size.

metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Thepandamancan

Definitely bring a towel...try and find something soft though since a regular towel will just add more scratches. Depending on how it fits on your face, it may fog up but I seriously doubt it. It's more likely that you'll get sweat/water from ice distorting your vision.

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 06:12 PM
Briere Up There*

I have a towel on the bench and cover the visor with one of my hockey socks when it's in my bag. Use the towel if the fog gets ridiculous or you have droplets on it, otherwise skating for 10 seconds usually gets rid of any tinge of fog on my visor.

I have to buy a new visor. Protect it all you want, they will get scratched.

Briere Up There* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 06:26 PM
Hermit Wizard Eater

Wear a full shield... At least one with the plastic in the bottom too.

You're going to regret it when you get smacked with a stick and lose several teeth/get hit in the eye with a stick that comes under your visor/get nailed with a puck in the mouth.

Hermit Wizard Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 06:33 PM
nexusrage21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit Wizard Eater View Post
Wear a full shield... At least one with the plastic in the bottom too.

You're going to regret it when you get smacked with a stick and lose several teeth/get hit in the eye with a stick that comes under your visor/get nailed with a puck in the mouth.
My Dental Bills agree with this.

nexusrage21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 02:34 AM
Injektilo

Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
Visors always fog up. If you don't have any anti-fog spray, you can rub a minute bit of shampoo on the visor a while before playing. I found that usually keeps me home free for an hour or so on the ice, but since I play for over two hours when I play, i usually have to wipe it down after that.

The hard part is when you put shampoo on it, it smears all over the glass, and then you have to wipe it off, which takes off most of the protection. If you do it early enough and let the shampoo dry, you can wipe off most of it and still leave a protective layer on.

I used to play with a cage and hated it, then I started playing with nothing. I figured that was kinda dumb, so now I have a Heatly style massive visor that sticks close to my face and goes way down. It won't stop pucks or sticks from hitting me in the jaw, but it'll certainly protect my eyes. Saved me once already a few months ago on a follow through.

Wish cages didn't bother me, but.... I feel like I'm wearing horse blinders out there with them on.

Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 03:28 AM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
6 teeth later I use a Concept II Visor now, no more half shields for me, one slapshot off a defenders stick and 6 teeth out of my mouth, it doesn't fog can still breath easy and its better then a cage imo

PALE PWNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 04:35 AM
earthwormjim

Never get water on it. The worst thing that can happen in terms of your vision being impaired by it is trying to spray your face or hair with a water bottle and getting it on your visor.

earthwormjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 10:13 AM
Henrique Iglesias
Let's go Albany

IMO, unless you're getting paid to play hockey, wear a full cage or shield.

To each to his own I guess. I sometimes consider wearing a visor instead of a cage, so I can see the ice better, but I figure its not worth the pucks and sticks I could possibly get to the face. Good choice for a visor though, x100s are pretty solid and cover a good portion of your face.

Henrique Iglesias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 11:05 AM
sherwood sniper

Kinda outta left field, but I actually broke a guys Itech visor i half last night with a wrist shot. Kinda cool...lol

Anyway...always been a fan of dish soap. I always let it dry first like mentioned above.

sherwood sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Try it at stick and puck or a pickup if possible. I bought a full shield and in my first practice it fogged up so bad I couldn't see out of it at all, literally had to cut my shifts down to about 20-30 seconds and then go back to the bench. Went back to a cage.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 12:58 PM
pfloyd75

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherwood sniper View Post
Kinda outta left field, but I actually broke a guys Itech visor i half last night with a wrist shot. Kinda cool...lol

Anyway...always been a fan of dish soap. I always let it dry first like mentioned above.
Funny. A guy on my team got hit in the jaw portion of an Itech visor/plexi cage combo (Concept 2?) a few days ago and it cracked the cage portion. Shot ramped up off of someone eles's stick. Anyway, a cracked piece of equipment is Much better than missing chicklets or a broken nose.

Luckilly, I play goalie half the time so I am used to cages. Never had a problem with vision in them from day one. No missing teeth (from hockey at least) and no fogging up.

pfloyd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 01:14 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

And people who haven't tried a GOOD cage should really give it a go. They aren't awfully big, heavy, and distracting like they used to be.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 04:32 PM
rinkrat22

why does it always turn into "wear a cage, you are gonna lose teeth"
just answer the guys question. he didn't ask if he should wear a visor, he already made his decision. I know guys that don't wear other pieces of equipment (no breezers,or no elbow pads, which I think is crazy, but they are grown men) nobody tells them what they should or shouldn't do. worry about whats right for you not someone else.

Now, if you are going to wear a visor get some no fog spray. don't use shampoo or dish soap. that used to work on the old visors that didn't have an anti fog coating. I would stick with something that has been engineered for the non fog coatings of that visor.
just my $.02

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 04:35 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I wear the shield/cage combo, but I always shampoo my visor before games. Works wonders.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 02:24 AM
Jack DiBiase
wrist-oh-lie-nun

Jack DiBiase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 09:42 AM
Towelie*

Visors are all about looking cool, and that visor isn't a cool looking one.

Towelie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass Laich Anthem View Post

Visors are not cool at all where I come from. Wearing one without keeping your stick down is a recipe for an ass whoopin.

Dump and Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 10:59 AM
Blueshockey2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump and Chase View Post
Visors are not cool at all where I come from. Wearing one without keeping your stick down is a recipe for an ass whoopin.
Exactly. When you wear a visor you learn to respect guys more and learn to keep sticks down.

I have been wearing a visor for 2 yrs now but have to wear a cage for college, I have a hell of a time adapting back to the cage when I play

Blueshockey2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 12:20 PM
Stick To Your Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass Laich Anthem View Post
thanks for the input... who trolls a visor wearing thread?

anyways, used, half way through the game it fogged up so i just took it off. going to try the dish soap/shampoo thing next time. it fogged up when i tilted the helmet up and my sweat from my hair got on it. but i found it a lot better than a cage, I kept my head up so much more because i just had to glance down not find the puck through my cage.

Stick To Your Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 03:07 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump and Chase View Post
THIS.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

Before anyone gets wound up about my post I was commenting on the post that said visors are about looking cool. I was not dissing anybody who wears one.

I went years without any face protection in Sr. hockey and was never hit with a puck or a stick in the face. When you play without one you learn to protect your face and most of the players in the league knew enough to mind their sticks. That being said I have noticed that a lot of rec players are not so courteous. Maybe they don't know better or maybe some of them are just a bit too spazzy.

Now that I am older I can't stand the idea of putting on a cage or a window because it is a real PIA. My vision is unimpeded and I am never wiping my shield or worrying about it it fogging because I don't wear one. I have also seen many guys get huge gashes in their lips and chin when a visor gets stuffed down on their face.

My dad lost vision in his left eye when he was a 19 year old playing Jr. He got a stick in the eye and ended his competitive hockey. He always gave me grief about not wearing a visor but I wouldn't put one on. This fact probably qualifies me as an idiot.

The prudent thing for most players would be to wear a visor and protect your eyes. I am just too old or too stubborn to wear one.

Dump and Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 08:44 PM
MikeC44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dany Heatley Allstar View Post
So what are some draw backs, I play my first game with it tonight? It says it has an antifog coating on it, but I heard they fog up. Should I bring a towel for the bench to wipe it? It is just pick up for the record nothing serious.

I switched from a visor that screws only on the sides to that type of Itech visor that has screws in the front and has the removable shield part.
I found the Itech visor to be much heavier, which made my helmet 'front heavy'. It took some time to get used to.

Where you're coming from a full cage, you probably won't notice it as much.

MikeC44 is offline   Reply With Quote