Old
09-04-2010, 01:33 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

vCash: 500
Fredrik Modin signs with Atlanta- 1 year deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by weklof View Post
According to Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet, Fredrik Modin has signed a one-year deal with the Atlanta Thrashers:

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...icle7728103.ab
From article, using headsigh's really bad translation skills:

Quote:
Fredrik Modin started last season in Columbus Blue Jackets, but after the Olympic tournament, he switched over to the Los Angeles Kings.
Now there will be no continuation of the west coast of the great outer forward.
Instead, the games on the East Coast next season Modin.
According to Sportbladet Modin is consistent with the Atlanta Thrashers on one-year contract.

"Sweden never an option"
There, he was teammate with, among others Tobias Enstrom, Johnny Oduya and Fredrik Pettersson.
There were also reports that Modin would move back to the top division this season, but it denies rumor Modin.
- Sweden has never been an option, "he told Sportbladet earlier in the week.
Atlanta becomes Modin fifth NHL club.
The former Brynäs Striker is in addition to Columbus and Los Angeles also represented Toronto and Tampa Bay.

Old
09-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Sabreality

very nice..i like the move..provides more top 9 flexibilty, has a good shot, solid along the boards and wont hurt defensively...good stuff Duds.

Old
09-04-2010, 01:51 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

Dudley is about to be in my doghouse. We all know the only reason he signed him is because hs is 6'4. This guy is a 3rd line at best but really is a 4th liner. If he fails to re-sign Bergie because of wasted money on scrubs, doghouse it is. Could be in there sooner rather than later.

We went from a skill team, to a skill team with physicality, to a big team with little skill. Looks like we are a 1 line team if Bergfors doesn't get re-signed.

Old
09-04-2010, 01:53 PM
Sabreality

ASF...so painfully predictable

GOOD signing

Old
09-04-2010, 01:53 PM
Telfo
THRASHERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
Dudley is about to be in my doghouse. We all know the only reason he signed him is because hs is 6'4. This guy is a 3rd line at best but really is a 4th liner. If he fails to re-sign Bergie because of wasted money on scrubs, doghouse it is. Could be in there sooner rather than later.

We went from a skill team, to a skill team with physicality, to a big team with little skill. Looks like we are a 1 line team if Bergfors doesn't get re-signed.
This has nothing to do with Bergfors. he will be signed, notice there are a bunch of unsigned RFA's still

Old
09-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Modin was definitely a pleasant surprise a King for a post season run. He's very slow but he has a great shot. I'd expect him to be on your 3rd line and possibly get some 2nd unit PP time.

Good luck Freddy

Old
09-04-2010, 02:00 PM
Sabreality

Modin is a good 'glue' guy and should look good at 3LW..depending on how the lines shake out..depth is never a bad thing..who knows whats gonna happen with Burmi, Cormier and Buff or Machs/Pettersson for that matter.

Freddy is a heady vet thats pretty good at the little things..he stood out in LA at the end of the year/playoffs...i like it...there were worse options out there, and i'm sure he comes cheap.

Old
09-04-2010, 02:10 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

where this dude playing? press box?

the top 7 guys are all lock ins. than you got Cormier who should be the 3rd line C. I thought Petersson was 3rd line rw. We don't have room for 5 healthy scratches a game. Our 4th line is just a fill in.

Bergfors-Antropov-Little
Kane-Peverley-Byfuglien
Ladd-
Eager- Slater?? - Thorburn??

Old
09-04-2010, 02:16 PM
Sabreality

Quote:
where this dude playing? press box?

the top 7 guys are all lock ins. than you got Cormier who should be the 3rd line C. I thought Petersson was 3rd line rw. We don't have room for 5 healthy scratches a game. Our 4th line is just a fill in.

Bergfors-Antropov-Little
Kane-Peverley-Byfuglien
Ladd-
Eager- Slater?? - Thorburn??
well, i dont think those are 'locks' right now...Pettersson has been destined to start in Chicago for quite some time, Machecek could do the same...i think Dudley would like Ladd to get a chance at 2LW..i think its time he got that shot...and can we let Bergie play his natural postion of RW already?

Kane-Antro-Bergie
Ladd-Pevs-Little
Modin-Cormier-Buff
Eager-Slater-Thor
Bolts

but who knows how theyre gonna shake out, like i said in my previous post, theres a lot of variables still...DEPTH IS GOOD for a TEAM...i dont care about rooting for individual players like many around here..if the TEAM is strong, i dont care who plays where.

Old
09-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Shameus

Until Bergie signs and Buff doesn't partner Sopel or Toby in the first game, I think the forward lines are pretty much an enigma right now.

That said Modin is a good addition to the squad. Good hands, good on the PP, can sit in front of the net and work in the dirty areas, excels at the little things. Only drawback is his wheels, but that is workable.

Old
09-04-2010, 03:22 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Honestly, I'm still so angry at the idea of Buff moving to D and Kulda not getting ice time that I can't think clearly about this signing.

Old
09-04-2010, 03:28 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Good depth signing. Hard to see how he is worse than any of our current 4th line options.

Fits in with the big Swedish contingent here.

Old
09-04-2010, 04:14 PM
Thrashers94
We fly as one

I would have preferred Nolan or Guerin. But, Modin is a Swede and will fit right in with the rest.

Looks like Machacek will rot in Chicago now.

Old
09-04-2010, 04:56 PM
AintLifeGrand

I thought Modin was a D man? He won the fastest shot contest at the skillz comp a few years back right?

Old
09-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Juzmo
rip

vCash: 6969
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Fits in with the big Swedish contingent here.
It's almost getting a bit uncomfortable as a Finn to root for so many Swedish men.

Old
09-04-2010, 06:01 PM
ATLbound

I don't no much about him. Never really remembered seeing him play. He is big which is good, slow I do not like but we have a fast enough team where we can afford to have a slow guy in the mix. Hard shot is good, does anyone know if he hits, that would be nice if he throws his body around a bit. I would have rather Guerin, or let Stewart/ Burmy/ Machacek battle it out, but looks like are roster is set, only thing left is where Buf will end up. We got a decent d-core, pretty solid goaltending and gritty, skilled and fast forwards. I like this team, they have the potential to suprise a lot of people. Now scoring will be are weak point, im not really to worried about it, heres what i would like to see, I will even throw in goal predictions with it.

Bergfors(25) Antro(23) Little(28)
Kane(22) Pevs(21) Big Buff(20)
Ladd(18) Cormier/ Burmy(10) Modin(8-10)
Eager(8) Slater(12) Thorburn(8)
Boulton(3)

Now, since there was some hiting Thorby would come off the 4th line, maybe we will see Modin on the 4th and Thorburn on the 3rd, I say who ever is better stick on the 3rd, since they are both big bodies. So basicly provided any trades, 1 spot is open, and despite what Duds says it will be a battle between, Cormier/ Burmi. With Espo, Klingberg, Machacek, have slim-outside shots at it. I do really want Buf on forward, and I do think even if some of are top forwards have off years, we still should end up with atleast 5-6 20 goal scorers, ruling out injuries.

Old
09-04-2010, 06:22 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

LOL this about sums it up. From a Jackets fan.

Quote:
Ah The Modin. He played so rarely for the Jackets that anytime he was on the ice it was like spotting a rare animal out in the wild. "Sshh... we have a sighting of one of nature's most bizarre situations: A Modin actually on the ice! We must speak quietly, or else we might spook it and cause it to injure its fragile frame."

Old
09-04-2010, 06:24 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
Honestly, I'm still so angry at the idea of Buff moving to D and Kulda not getting ice time that I can't think clearly about this signing.
Think of it this way: Modin isn't really much of an upgrade than some we have- but he's clearly not worse. Health has been his foil. Playing against Mike "how i shot bodycheck?" Green 6 times a year might help him. Or then there's Downie & Kubina who could end up sending him back off.

He's a good veteran presence as well. We have all of like 5 people older than 30. One of them, Rissmiller, is an AHL guy.

Personally I would have inquired about Rolston/Zubrus for a turkey sandwich, but this is a low-risk signing for a guy who isn't terrible. Best case scenario he pulls and Afinogenov and is a bargain signing while providing some scoring (and defense I guess). Worst case, he's in the press box and a kid takes over regardless.

Old
09-04-2010, 06:54 PM
Shameus

Quote:
LOL this about sums it up. From a Jackets fan.

And here is the rest of his quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinNow View Post
I liked the guy, and I'm mostly kidding, but he was out with injury more than he was on the ice while he played for us.

Old
09-04-2010, 07:51 PM
Thrashers94
We fly as one

I remember watching NHL Live back at the trade deadline and they were interviewing him about the trade to L.A and the olympics. He sounds like a really nice guy.

Old
09-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Sabreality

so still no official word on this?

Modin's contract with Atlanta pays him 800k, plus modest bonuses. Could be a bargain if Modin can stay healthy.
27 minutes ago via web
Retweeted by 3 people

kausatoday

Last edited by Sabreality: 09-05-2010 at 09:51 AM. Reason: update
Old
09-05-2010, 02:30 PM
GetPucksDeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
I'm with you.

Old
09-05-2010, 03:39 PM
AintLifeGrand

someone has to get moved here soon.....

Maybe a package of Bergfors+ Machachek+ D prospect for a solid top 6 guy.

Old
09-05-2010, 03:58 PM
Sabreality

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
someone has to get moved here soon.....

Maybe a package of Bergfors+ Machachek+ D prospect for a solid top 6 guy.
i'm curious as to why? is it because this fanbase is so not use to actually having depth?

Old
09-05-2010, 04:03 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post
i'm curious as to why? is it because this fanbase is so not use to actually having depth?
It's because we don't have a definite goal scorer (not sure why he's including Bergfors for a trade though). It was great to add all this size and toughness, but we have huge "maybes" in the lamp lighting department.

Closed Thread