HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Official Rumor Thread--Kings Rumor Mill VII

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2010, 06:54 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Moses View Post
For whatever reason Devils fans are not too high on Langenbrunner right now; they could likely use some affordable depth.
Doesn't mean that Lou isn't, but Drewiske would be a top 4 defenseman on NJ.

Old
10-20-2010, 07:22 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
It is pretty sad how some fans still can't let go of the past when the future looks so bright for this organization...
The past was the only thing that kept me rooting for the Kings through the many years of being a very bad team. Things are just now BEGINNING to turn around.

Old
10-20-2010, 07:29 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
The past was the only thing that kept me rooting for the Kings through the many years of being a very bad team. Things are just now BEGINNING to turn around.
And the Kings have the youngest team in the league. That is why many of us are excited for the present and the future. I don't think Lombardi will start trading away the young players and draft picks for aging vets. Not his MO and we've seen too many past Kings GMs give up on kids too soon.

Old
10-20-2010, 07:34 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defgarden View Post
Yea but who do you give up?

I can't think of anyone.

Doughty or Johnson? Not a chance (well, maybe Johnson, but it's gotta be a sick deal)
Greene? No way.
Scuderi? Not at least until one of the kids is ready to step up, and Greene is fully heathly
Mitchell we just got, not much point.

Drewiskie, Harrold, Martinez, you're not gonna get much back.

In any case, I'd give the team at least a good 30 games before considering trades. I want to see if the rookies will stick, and if they do, how well they can play their roles before making any roster changes.
You've got to give up a significant asset to get one in return.

Greene for Malone makes both teams better.

Old
10-20-2010, 08:04 PM
Johnny Utah

Ottawa needs a stay at home guy....maybe Kings could offer up Drewiske and a prospect for someone.

Old
10-20-2010, 08:14 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
You've got to give up a significant asset to get one in return.

Greene for Malone makes both teams better.
I would consider that if Greene were just a stay at home defenseman. But he isn't, he's also an alternate captain and a big part of the locker room and the new culture and identity here. Based on that as well as his being our most physical defenseman and a 5-on-3 MONSTER I have to say no way.

Old
10-20-2010, 08:57 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
And the Kings have the youngest team in the league. That is why many of us are excited for the present and the future. I don't think Lombardi will start trading away the young players and draft picks for aging vets. Not his MO and we've seen too many past Kings GMs give up on kids too soon.
I'm with you 100%, it's just I'm not going to pat Lombardi on the back when he has just laid some concrete down. I like to wait til construction of a project is complete before paying the workers, not nail by nail.

Old
10-20-2010, 08:59 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
OK... so AEG gets all the blame for not spending money on Boucher but Taylor gets no blame for not convincing ownership they should?
... The only reason AEG is beginning to spend money now is because they got what they wanted. They have a salary cap now; or "cost certainty" as they put it. They pushed for it as much or more than any other NHL owner group, and a full season was sacrificed to put it in motion.

As for Lombardi being able to "convince" AEG that getting pounded for three seasons was the best way to go - it's probably more that AEG was probably embarrassed after the debacle to close the 05-06 season, and realizing that after a decade of spotty success and mostly failure that it was time for a change in philosophy. That, and the new dynamic with the salary cap in place. To think that a GM would be able to "convince" AEG of anything is a pretty far reach, since Leiweke controls the purse strings and also fancies himself a hockey "expert" (after all, he went on record as saying he couldn't figure out why Erik Rasmussen couldn't play at the level of a top six forward in 2003, among other brilliant hockey musings), so if Tim has his mind made up about whether he is or isn't going to allocate money on something, I don't see a GM convincing him otherwise.

Old
10-20-2010, 09:11 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
.... Lombardi will start trading away the young players and draft picks for aging vets. Not his MO and we've seen too many past Kings GMs give up on kids too soon.
careful...

Old
10-21-2010, 12:30 AM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Ottawa needs a stay at home guy....maybe Kings could offer up Drewiske and a prospect for someone.

IMO Drewiski has been very solid lately. It'd be tough to move a contract friendly productive dman right now if you're LA. Minor moves will probably take place soon as guys get healthy. Maybe a Lewis goes somewhere, but no need to deal one of the dmen yet.

Old
10-21-2010, 05:59 AM
yukoner88

There's a rumour floating on the Oilers board that Stoll may be available. Is this true??

Old
10-21-2010, 07:07 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner88 View Post
There's a rumour floating on the Oilers board that Stoll may be available. Is this true??
I guess, in as much as any player is available given the right offer. I don't think the Kings are actively looking to trade him though, he's by far had his best start to a season as a King.

Old
10-21-2010, 07:14 AM
yukoner88

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
I guess, in as much as any player is available given the right offer. I don't think the Kings are actively looking to trade him though, he's by far had his best start to a season as a King.
What do you suppose his value is at?

Old
10-21-2010, 07:21 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner88 View Post
What do you suppose his value is at?
As a team with more of a "win now" attitude this season I would guess an upgrade on wing would be a point of interest, especially left wing. I think Brayden Schenn would replace Stoll on the 2nd line so there's not really room for another center and we're pretty much set on D unless Doughty is out for longer than a few weeks, knock on wood.

Old
10-21-2010, 10:09 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
I would consider that if Greene were just a stay at home defenseman. But he isn't, he's also an alternate captain and a big part of the locker room and the new culture and identity here. Based on that as well as his being our most physical defenseman and a 5-on-3 MONSTER I have to say no way.
What about JJ then? He's not showing the progression he should be.

A deal based around JJ for one of Malone/Downie works for me.

Old
10-21-2010, 10:11 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
What about JJ then? He's not showing the progression he should be.

A deal based around JJ for one of Malone/Downie works for me.
Aw hell no!

Old
10-21-2010, 10:22 AM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

... What I find interesting is that Jack Johnson leads the Kings' defense in ice time per game, and leads the defense in plus/minus. Last season, quite a few people were aware that Jack wasn't at fault for his poor plus/minus, but that was always a constant talking point when discussing how bad of a player Jack apparently was. Now when he has an excellent plus/minus, even though it's not all his doing, he's not getting credit for it??? You can't have it both ways. You can say he was wrong the couple times he pinched in and the puck got by him, but obviously he did some good things to end the game a +2. He was a +3 in the Vancouver game, and made a couple of fine plays to set up the first goal of that game. He leads the team in blocked shots and he's the only defenseman on the team with more takeaways than giveaways. Now obviously he's prone to making a mistake or two here and there - which of the defensemen isn't? I've seen Doughty make mistakes this season. I've seen Mitchell make quite a few of them also. This talk about him "not showing progression" and the willingness to deal him off makes me happy none of you are the GM, because you're conveniently ignoring the facts.

Old
10-21-2010, 10:24 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Aw hell no!
I understand the reluctance to trade JJ, but he's coming up on 24, and is due for a new contract. He is yet to develop into the defenseman we need him to be.

It's time for Lombardi to make his assessment on whether or not he thinks JJ will development into that defenseman. I doubt DL is comfortable paying Johnson 4M+ over the long term with the way he is playing now.

Old
10-21-2010, 10:32 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Quote:
I understand the reluctance to trade JJ, but he's coming up on 24, and is due for a new contract. He is yet to develop into the defenseman we need him to be.

It's time for Lombardi to make his assessment on whether or not he thinks JJ will development into that defenseman. I doubt DL is comfortable paying Johnson 4M+ over the long term with the way he is playing now.
I don't think people are totally against the idea of trading him for the right fit but for Malone or Downie? We'd be better off keeping him, mistakes and all.

Old
10-21-2010, 11:10 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... The only reason AEG is beginning to spend money now is because they got what they wanted. They have a salary cap now; or "cost certainty" as they put it. They pushed for it as much or more than any other NHL owner group, and a full season was sacrificed to put it in motion.

As for Lombardi being able to "convince" AEG that getting pounded for three seasons was the best way to go - it's probably more that AEG was probably embarrassed after the debacle to close the 05-06 season, and realizing that after a decade of spotty success and mostly failure that it was time for a change in philosophy. That, and the new dynamic with the salary cap in place. To think that a GM would be able to "convince" AEG of anything is a pretty far reach, since Leiweke controls the purse strings and also fancies himself a hockey "expert" (after all, he went on record as saying he couldn't figure out why Erik Rasmussen couldn't play at the level of a top six forward in 2003, among other brilliant hockey musings), so if Tim has his mind made up about whether he is or isn't going to allocate money on something, I don't see a GM convincing him otherwise.
OK, well there's my answer. You give AEG credit for turning a corner.

Old
10-21-2010, 11:12 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

JJ is progressing just fine. He is just really starting to find his game in the NHL, both offensive and defensive. Who cares if he becomes the best that he can be or not? So long as he is good. You are pulling 4+MM out of your ass. DL will pay him the price for whatever kind of defenseman JJ turns out to be by the end of the season. If DL pays him 4+ then that means JJ is worth it. If JJ isn't worth 4+, DL will sign him for less. If JJ isn't worth 4+ but demands 4+, well then that's when you consider trading him, but that's a bridge you don't step on until you are ready to run across it.

Old
10-21-2010, 11:27 AM
piston

Send a message via AIM to piston
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post

As
That is just flat out wrong. There is a significant difference what ownership was telling the fans (spewing out the NHL's talking points) versus what they were arguing for in ownership meetings. AEG did not want to lose a season.

Old
10-21-2010, 11:34 AM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston View Post
That is just flat out wrong. There is a significant difference what ownership was telling the fans (spewing out the NHL's talking points) versus what they were arguing for in ownership meetings. AEG did not want to lose a season.
... Oh, you were in on those ownership meetings? What else have they lied to the fans about?

Old
10-21-2010, 11:42 AM
piston

Send a message via AIM to piston
As has been stated many times by people with no love for AEG, their primary economic interest has always been the development of their downtown real estate. How losing a season and all the associated foot traffic furthers that goal is beyond me.

But,then again some people are so blind with hatred towards evil capitalists like AEG that they would imagine the company would be satisfied losing hundreds of millions of dollars in real estate investments in order to avoid losing $7 mm a year on the Kings. Makes sense to me

Old
10-21-2010, 11:52 AM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston View Post
As has been stated many times by people with no love for AEG, their primary economic interest has always been the development of their downtown real estate. How losing a season and all the associated foot traffic furthers that goal is beyond me.

But,then again some people are so blind with hatred towards evil capitalists like AEG that they would imagine the company would be satisfied losing hundreds of millions of dollars in real estate investments in order to avoid losing $7 mm a year on the Kings. Makes sense to me
... Thanks for not answering either question I presented to you.

Closed Thread