HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Spezza get 100 points this season?

Old
09-06-2010, 04:23 PM
Afro Thunder*

vCash: 500
I am guessing 80-90 points with 35+ goals.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 05:44 PM
biturbo19

Spezza is one of my absolute favourite players to watch when he's on his game...but i just don't see 100pts from him with the supporting cast there right now. The talent is there in Spezza, but he still needs to nail down that consistency and confidence in himself as a shooter AND passer, and realistically, he needs to have a 40+ goal sniper on his wing as well.

I think 80-90pts with around 30 goals would be an absolutely fantastic season for him if he can stay healthy all year and continue using his shot like he was late in the season...and continues to develop his defensive game.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 08:13 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

It's really wishful thinking at this point, but needless to say that would be really awesome.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 08:47 PM
elicw10

87 Points. We just don't have the offence weapons to have someone break 100.

elicw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 08:55 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Spezza is getting better every year regardless of what people say.

I say he cracks 100 if he plays 78+ games. Guys, Ottawa has practically changed 100% to a offensive team. If Spezza could crack 80-90 points with a defense that could barely get it up to him, imagine what he'd do with an experienced Karlsson and the biggest threat from the back-end for the past decade.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Alfredsson11

100 is alot, but if he got around 90 give or take then Id be pleased.

Alfredsson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 03:21 AM
trobby

40 goals - 50 assists. 90 points.

And we all go home happy.

trobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 08:41 AM
MoreGore

RKL above made a good point in favour.

Exchanging Gonchar and Kalssson for Volchenkov and Picard will have a significant impact on the makeup of the team. while this team scored roughly 215 goals last year, we can certainly expect another 15-25 gf this year.

Spezza was a ppg player last year, and had something like 18 points in his first 30 gp. Assuming that was his back was the source of his problems early on last year, and the increased potential from Gonchar and Karlsson, we should expect Spezza to be above the PPG pace from last year.

So, for him to get 100 points the following would be necessary
- Gonchar remains healthy
- Karlsson develops, and remains healthy
- Spezza plays 75+ games

All of these are possible, so.... I give it a 25% chance give or take 25%

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 08:45 AM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Leaf fan here. I remember during the first couple years after lockout I was convinced Spezza would be a top 5 centre right now and for years to come, scoring multiple 100+ point seasons. I see that his numbers the last couple years have gone down. Is this due to injuries? Or maybe due to Alfie getting older and no more Heatley? Something else?

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 08:50 AM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreGore View Post
RKL above made a good point in favour.

Exchanging Gonchar and Kalssson for Volchenkov and Picard will have a significant impact on the makeup of the team. while this team scored roughly 215 goals last year, we can certainly expect another 15-25 gf this year.

Spezza was a ppg player last year, and had something like 18 points in his first 30 gp. Assuming that was his back was the source of his problems early on last year, and the increased potential from Gonchar and Karlsson, we should expect Spezza to be above the PPG pace from last year.

So, for him to get 100 points the following would be necessary
- Gonchar remains healthy
- Karlsson develops, and remains healthy
- Spezza plays 75+ games

All of these are possible, so.... I give it a 25% chance give or take 25%
Ottawa scored 225 goals last year. Another 15-25 goals, according to last yr's standings, would put Ott in 3rd for scoring in the east.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 08:51 AM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlBum View Post
Leaf fan here. I remember during the first couple years after lockout I was convinced Spezza would be a top 5 centre right now and for years to come, scoring multiple 100+ point seasons. I see that his numbers the last couple years have gone down. Is this due to injuries? Or maybe due to Alfie getting older and no more Heatley? Something else?
Well the 08-09 season was poor for almost everyone on the team but this past season he battled with consistency and injury issues. He had an awful first half that ended with a knee injury taking him out for 2 months but when he returned fully healthy he put up 38 points in 30 games with a 50 goal scoring pace I think. He just needs a year without any back problems to get above a PPG again.

ErikKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Wham City

I wouldn't be shocked if he scored at a 100 point pace but I would be surprised if he played all 82 games.

Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 08:54 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlBum View Post
08-09... everybodies offensive numbers were tanked by Hartsburg's system. Sens averaged 2.4 GF per game during Hartsburg's 48 games and 2.99 GF per game when Clouston finished the season.

09-10... last season Spezza started alright, then looked terrible (due to a back injury), had a knee injury midseason but caught fire down the stretch and into the playoffs with some 49 points in his last 41 games last year (98 point pace).

85-90 points should be within reach.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 09:34 AM
upperhouse

Like others, I think 80-90pts is the realistic range. Is 100 possible? Probably, but too many stars need to line up for him to hit 100.

upperhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 07:52 PM
Sensation

Bump.

So upon returning from injury last year and while playing with guys like Greening, Condra, and Butler, Spezza managed to put up 37 points in 30 games. On pace for a 101 point season and helping out our PK in a huge way.

Year before that he had 38 points in his last 30 games after his injury.

It seems like it's becoming too routine for Spezza starting off battling injuries and coming back and playing like dynamite and not getting more recognition for it because of his season totals.

I really want to see what he can put together playing a full, healthy season.

Sensation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 07:57 PM
SensAreReligion
GT- CxC Senator

i hope he gets 90 points that would make me very happy!
So if he gets 80 points or more who will be his wingers and what would there totals be, we obviusly need some one who can pot in 35+ goals.

SensAreReligion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 08:42 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
IMO, the Filatov trade not only is a chance for Filatov to revitalize his career and finally reach the potential he was destined to, but a chance for Spezza to finally have that natural scoring threat hes been missing since Heatley.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:09 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

100? Didn't like, only one or two guys get 100 last year? This is really pretty absurd. We were the lowest scoring team in the league last year, and will have arguably less offensive talent this season. I don't see how ANYONE would score 100 points on this team. We've only had one player score 70 points in the last two years, and Spezza wasn't him (it was Alfie).

As to his finish, Spezza is notorious for hot streaks, AND cold streaks. I don't think it's fair to say he'll play 80 games at any hot streak clip, simply because that's not the way he has ever produced. In this last three years (sans Heatley), he has never played a season where he has averaged better than a ppg (even with all the hot streaks), let alone at a pace to score 100 points. Frankly, I'd be happy to see him break 70, given he hasn't broken 60 points in the last two years.

Given his injury history, this makes it all the tougher, but just on a ppg clip, I don't see it.

He definitely improved his play in the last 40 games and was playing solid two-way hockey, but that doesn't translate into a full year of elite play by any stretch. And 100 point puts you as one of the top producers in the league, which is typically only generated by players will loads of talent around them. Guys like Ovechkin and Datysuk weren't even close to 100 this year, and they led their very talented teams in scoring by a wide margin.

Very little chance. If Spezza couldn't score 100 with Heatley and Alfie as linemates, he isn't going to do it with Butler and Michalek.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:13 PM
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel

On the back of Filatov's 40 goals, yes.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
IMO, the Filatov trade not only is a chance for Filatov to revitalize his career and finally reach the potential he was destined to, but a chance for Spezza to finally have that natural scoring threat hes been missing since Heatley.
Filatov is not sniper. He is more of a playmaking winger. I don't see him as a good fit for Spezza at all. In fact, I don't expect them to play together, except on the powerplay. This experiment would likely end up similar to the Kovalev-Spezza one. Or like when Havlat and Spezza were put together. A few moments of brilliance perhaps, with long periods of prolonged ineffectiveness and turnovers.

Spezza needs players with either a high end motor along with some decent skills (Michalek), or expert finishing abilities (Butler). Or both (Alfie). Even Michalek isn't that great a fit, simply because he doesn't really have much of a one-timer or quick trigger. But he's the best we got for Spezza at this point if we want to split up Spezza and Alfie.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Topside

Didn't the Art Ross winner only have like 103?

A healthy Spezza gets 80 points on this team. Not enough consistent offense in the lineup to take pressure off him. Unless Filatov turns into Bure, of course.

Topside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:14 PM
Gil Gunderson

I'll be thrilled with 80.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:15 PM
SensAreReligion
GT- CxC Senator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
On the back of Filatov's 40 goals, yes.
I think we all like filatov but we are putting some high expectations on the guy... lol

SensAreReligion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSpezza19 View Post
I think we all like filatov but we are putting some high expectations on the guy... lol
I'm just kidding around. I'd be ecstatic for him to just make the line-up. That'd be a step in the right direction. People take me a bit too seriously on here.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:21 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

If Spezza has a 100 point season and Filatov scores 40 we will win the Stanley Cup next year.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote