HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Wheeling Nailers to play partial season in Johnstown?

Old
03-15-2010, 09:07 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Wheeling Nailers to play partial season in Johnstown?

Not sure if this should be merged with the Chiefs-to-Greenville thread, but I thought it was more relevant to post on it's own because of Wheeling possibly losing home games.

Quote:
WHEELING - The Wheeling Nailers organization, and co-Presidents Rob and Jim Brooks in particular, have gone to great lengths to make us believe ECHL hockey will be in town for a 19th consecutive season. But what's attempting to be brokered in some dark room in a corner of an empty arena in Johnstown paints a starkly contrasting picture.

According to two sources with knowledge of the inner workings of the situation who wish to remain anonymous, the Brooks brothers are currently negotiating to play at least a portion of their 2010-2011 ''home'' games at famed Cambria County War Memorial, which at the end of this season will cease being the home to the Chiefs, who are being relocated to Greenville, S.C.

If this story sounds familiar, it's because it's happened before. It was only two years ago that, according to whom you believe, the brothers had everything but a signed contract to move the Wheeling franchise to Youngstown. That fell through reportedly because the deal was leaked before it was able to be made official, according to the head of that Youngstown group, Bruce Zoldan.

For the first 4-5 years after the Brooks brothers purchased the Nailers they were clearly visible in both the community and at games.

But more recently that hasn't been the case, and whether they realize it or not, that, along with the supposed jump to Youngstown, has greatly affected their credibility in this town.

It certainly has with WesBanco Arena Executive Director Denny Magruder.

''Just stand up, be honest and let's sit down and talk about it,'' Magruder said Sunday. ''They just need to be forthright and stop sneaking behind our backs.

''If that's really the case, that has not been uttered to me, (though) I also heard that rumor a couple days ago.''
rest of the article is here: http://www.theintelligencer.net/page...1.html?nav=523

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 02:06 PM
pelts35.com

Intriguing, but does this make any sense? Why would the Brooks Group move home games to an arena that currently is the worst draw in the ECHL?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 10:01 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Intriguing, but does this make any sense? Why would the Brooks Group move home games to an arena that currently is the worst draw in the ECHL?
Your guess is as good as mine. The only logic I can think of is that Johnstown used to draw more fans when Wheeling came to town.

Could it incoming fans from Wheeling and/or the rivalry overall? There was a noticeable amount of Nailers fans in the seats at the last game I went to, but not enough to raise the attendance by several hundred like it did in the late 90s or even early 90s as the T-birds.

Could it be because of the Penguins affiliation? Possible, but I doubt it. I know a lot of people were at the game when Caputi was sent down from WBS, and I've heard some people in the stands talk about which players were drafted by the Penguins. Again, not a noticeable amount though, like maybe ten people tops.

For my own selfish reasons, I wouldn't mind another ECHL team at the War Memorial.

Old
04-02-2010, 02:48 AM
Professor Pickles

It's sad

Its sad the Chiefs are leaving but blame that idiotic war memorial management who refuses to get a real scoreboard or jazz that place up for the fans. The WM deserves to lose money.

Professor Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 07:09 PM
AUS Fan

Nailers Return for 19th Season

Here is the link:

http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...es/?id=3984630

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 10:02 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Pickles View Post
Its sad the Chiefs are leaving but blame that idiotic war memorial management who refuses to get a real scoreboard or jazz that place up for the fans. The WM deserves to lose money.
That's not totally true. The seats were swapped in about 2005 and section 9 was gutted for the party pit (which was always full when I went to a game).

Now that scoreboard....it needs to go. It was installed when I was a junior in high school. Next year will be my 20 year reunion, so that should give everybody an idea how old that thing is.

Old
04-13-2010, 01:24 AM
Professor Pickles

Yes, they added new seating and LOST a number of seats in the process.

Fans want to see the Kiss Cam and the "Which Hat is the Rock Under" game and all that. But the WM management is convinced ppl will just show up bc of Slapshot. It is not the fans responsibility to sell the franchise to eachother, it is the organization and the arena's responsibility.

Let me ask you this... You are charging your ONLY tenet a boatload in rent and will not meet them halfway. How much revenue do you make NOW with NO tenet? Welcome to Johnstown.

Old
04-14-2010, 08:24 AM
N O T O R I O U S
╱█████★█████╲

vCash: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
WOW.

N O T O R I O U S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 02:54 AM
Professor Pickles

Wheeling Nailers Idiocracy.

I am really hoping I am reading this wrong.

Are they playing games in Johnstown just so they are closer to their games versus Trenton and Reading? Did I read that correctly?

Let's take a look here, and maybe I am the dumbest person ever. I do not know the exact amount of time it takes to get from Wheeling to Reading in a bus. I know Wheeling from Johnstown is somewhere between 2.5 and 3 hours away. Johnstown to Reading is what, 4 hours? That's roughly 7 hours from Wheeling to Reading.

But, if the Nailers play in Johnstown, it's only 4 hours away. Did anyone forget to add the time it takes to drive to Johnstown?

Are they honestly going to save enough cash in this moronic venture that it is worth it? Or is this just a favor to the city of Johnstown because Wheeling "likes them"?

It just doesn't seem to make all that much sense.

Is Trenton really, honestly in jeopardy of losing their franchise because they cannot afford to drive the remaining 2.5 hours to Wheeling rather than J-town?

The Brooks Brothers, as everyone already knows, are very interesting people. Yes, in a bad way.

Old
05-03-2010, 01:13 PM
royals119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Pickles View Post
I am really hoping I am reading this wrong.

Are they playing games in Johnstown just so they are closer to their games versus Trenton and Reading? Did I read that correctly?
I think you are.
Quote:
Let's take a look here, and maybe I am the dumbest person ever. I do not know the exact amount of time it takes to get from Wheeling to Reading in a bus. I know Wheeling from Johnstown is somewhere between 2.5 and 3 hours away. Johnstown to Reading is what, 4 hours? That's roughly 7 hours from Wheeling to Reading.

But, if the Nailers play in Johnstown, it's only 4 hours away. Did anyone forget to add the time it takes to drive to Johnstown?
I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about here, but from Reading to J-town is 3 to 3 1/2 hours, and from Reading to Wheeling is 5 hours. You don't go through Johnstown on the way to Wheeling -although they are both west of Reading. From Trenton to Reading is 1 1/2 hours, Trenton to Wheeling is a little over 6 hours and Trenton to J-town 4 1/2 or so.
Quote:
Are they honestly going to save enough cash in this moronic venture that it is worth it? Or is this just a favor to the city of Johnstown because Wheeling "likes them"?
The point is, they would only have 26 games in Wheeling instead of 36, so they can eliminate a lot of the weekday dates when attendance is less, and hopefully get close to the same attendance in 26 games that they were getting in 36 (so hoping for 4000 per game over 26 games instead of 3000 per game at 36 games for example - same income from ticket sales with less expenses in
Wheeling) Then they add the ten games in Johnstown, where they maybe get 2500 per game, since they only have 10 games and they will all presumably be Friday/Saturday games, instead of 36 games with quite a few weekdays.
I'm not saying it is going to work - but it seems pretty obvious that is what they are hoping for.

Quote:
Is Trenton really, honestly in jeopardy of losing their franchise because they cannot afford to drive the remaining 2.5 hours to Wheeling rather than J-town?
Where did this come from? Trenton is in no danger of losing their franchise. They are owned by the Devils, who are committed to player development, not to making money on ticket sales. None of the articles or any of the posters mentioned Trenton at all. The articles, and this thread, are about the Nailers playing 26 home games in Wheeling and 10 home games in Johnstown, which the Brooks Brothers apparently feel is going to be more profitable. They might be right, and they might be wrong, but travel times to Reading and Johnstown certainly aren't any part of the reason for this change.

royals119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 08:21 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://tribune-democrat.com/localspo...e-in-Johnstown
Wheeling playing ten games in Johnstown this season. Even have a special jersey they'll wear.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote