HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Official Trade Rumors and Proposals thread: Part VI

Closed Thread

Old
10-15-2010, 05:59 PM
JimmyPage

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelnats Puc View Post
Looks good, you should post it on the main board.
No matter how many times I see this, it always makes me laugh.

Old
10-15-2010, 06:21 PM
Senasnore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyPage View Post
No matter how many times I see this, it always makes me laugh.
I guess I am not a grasshopper allowed to take a pebble from his hand. I am learning from the wisest...lmao

Old
10-15-2010, 06:26 PM
Senasnore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Blowhard View Post
From a sens perspective I don't think I would do that deal. Iginla's best days are behind him and although we shed Kovalev this team doesn't get any younger which is ultimately what we should be aiming for. A top tier prospect such as Weircoch or Rundblad (but not Cowen) may be worth moving if it gives us a good chance to get a cup for Alfie but this isn't the right deal.

Also, our first round draft pick is going to be very valuable to us this year as it is imperative that we draft a legitimate forward prospect.

Unfortunately I think the quest to militarize for a cup run for Alfie will be restricted to next season and the one after. This year we just don't have the movable assets or the cap space to get a high impact player.
My thinking is that this would allow Calgary to accelerate a rebuild as Kov and Rutuu come off the books freeing cap space - giving them 2 first rounders. Cap flexibility is important for their rebuild.

I think Iginla gives the Sens a shot this year at winning 2 rounds at least and they go from there. The window is closing for the old Sens core of Alfie, Fish and Philips before we make a full turn to youth, Iggy is good for at least 2 years. He could pot between 30 and 40 on a Spezza line, especiually with ppl time. He's the jam we lack in front with finish.

Old
10-15-2010, 06:31 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senasnore View Post
My thinking is that this would allow Calgary to accelerate a rebuild as Kov and Rutuu come off the books freeing cap space - giving them 2 first rounders. Cap flexibility is important for their rebuild.

I think Iginla gives the Sens a shot this year at winning 2 rounds at least and they go from there. The window is closing for the old Sens core of Alfie, Fish and Philips before we make a full turn to youth, Iggy is good for at least 2 years. He could pot between 30 and 40 on a Spezza line, especiually with ppl time. He's the jam we lack in front with finish.
No you need draft picks that is very very important for a rebuild.Fisher is not old at all he still could play another 6-8 years.

Old
10-15-2010, 06:37 PM
Lenny the Lynx

Quote:

Plus this trade instantly would make Calgary a much worse team, making their draft picks the next few years better. Win win

Old
10-15-2010, 06:39 PM
Bobby Blowhard

Quote:

Witnessing the decline of both Iggy and Alfie right in front of our eyes would be very depressing to say the least. The SENS would become representative of the closing chapter of an entire era of hockey. I don't want to go through that.

Old
10-15-2010, 07:09 PM
Polakdave
Official Sens' Polak

Send a message via AIM to Polakdave Send a message via MSN to Polakdave Send a message via Yahoo to Polakdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Blowhard View Post
Witnessing the decline of both Iggy and Alfie right in front of our eyes would be very depressing to say the least. The SENS would become representative of the closing chapter of an entire era of hockey. I don't want to go through that.
Yeah, we could potential see Alfredsson, Gonchar, Kovalev, and Iginla all retire with our team on the same year >.<

Old
10-15-2010, 08:42 PM
JimmyPage

Quote:
I guess I am not a grasshopper allowed to take a pebble from his hand. I am learning from the wisest...lmao
Welcome to the club

Old
10-15-2010, 08:42 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Don't do the trade until Kovy has his 1000 points. Then feed Iggy all he can take to get him 80 points this year. We may not win the cup, but we will be the 1000aire club.

Old
10-15-2010, 09:29 PM
Prattalot

Iggy's one of my all time favorite players but I doubt he's available...just yet

Old
10-15-2010, 10:18 PM
topshelfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolakDave View Post
Yeah, we could potential see Alfredsson, Gonchar, Kovalev, and Iginla all retire with our team on the same year >.<
Iginla is only 32.

Gonchar 36, Alfie and Kovy 37

Iginila should be around for the next 7-8 years but the rest 4 more years at most but thats stretching it.

Spezza would be the best centre Iginla has ever played with and should complement each other very well.

Old
10-15-2010, 10:28 PM
PCooper

Think of what it would take for a team to acquire Alfie and that might be close to what Calgary would want for Iginla.

That could change if the Flames tank hard this year and decide to "rebuild" but I don't think we have the (forward) assets to acquire Iginla.

Old
10-15-2010, 11:07 PM
Senasnore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCooper View Post
Think of what it would take for a team to acquire Alfie and that might be close to what Calgary would want for Iginla.

That could change if the Flames tank hard this year and decide to "rebuild" but I don't think we have the (forward) assets to acquire Iginla.
The point is freeing cap space for the Flames, making them younger and giving them assets for the future. Their cupboard is pretty bare in the youth department. They could always use Cowen (Western boy) and a first rounder + the 7 million in cap space to improve in the off season and re-tool. Trust me, without Kipper - they have no hope of making the playoffs. I doubt they do this year with their current roster.

Old
10-16-2010, 04:02 AM
Laszlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfie4snipez View Post
Iginla is only 32.

Iginila should be around for the next 7-8 years but the rest 4 more years at most but thats stretching it.

Spezza would be the best centre Iginla has ever played with and should complement each other very well.
It's funny how a lot of people think certain players are way older than they really are. Another player that fits that criteria is Phillips. He's only 32, but people think he is like 36 or 37. I guess because he has been in the league for so long. Same with Iginla.

Old
10-16-2010, 04:08 AM
Wham City

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfie4snipez View Post
Iginla is only 32.

Iginla is 33.

Old
10-16-2010, 04:29 AM
Laszlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy_Eyez View Post
Iginla is 33.
Well that changes everything!

Old
10-16-2010, 04:52 AM
Wham City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo Panaflex View Post
Well that changes everything!
Every year counts especially when you play as physical a game as Iginla, or at least as he used to play.

Old
10-16-2010, 04:53 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Wouldn't trading Iginla be the equivalent of us trading Alfredsson?

Also, bored at work looking at capgeek, looks like we have 17.8 mill in free space and the only guy we really have to re-sign IMO is Phillips. One interesting UFA I'd like to see in an Ottawa uniform is David Backes, if he even reaches UFA status to begin with.

Last edited by PeterSidorkiewicz: 10-16-2010 at 04:59 AM.
Old
10-16-2010, 06:06 AM
Caseus
squirrelly wrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
That's a perfect analogy. Iggy won't get traded.

Quote:
Also, bored at work looking at capgeek, looks like we have 17.8 mill in free space and the only guy we really have to re-sign IMO is Phillips. One interesting UFA I'd like to see in an Ottawa uniform is David Backes, if he even reaches UFA status to begin with.
Yowzers, I thought we had 10 million to play with in the offseason. We obviously need to resign Phillips, but we should still have enough to go after a goaltender (Vokoun?) and a top 6 forward (Richards, Semin?). Ooh....just imagine if somehow Elliott elevated his game enough to become a true, consistent number 1 and freed up money we could use for offense. Picture a top 6 of:

Regin - Spezza - Semin
Michalek - Richards - Alfredsson

And yes, yes, I'm aware of Semin's flaws, but damn the kid can score.

Old
10-16-2010, 07:38 AM
Wham City

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post

He's a good player but I'd be shocked to see him not resigned.

Having seen Koivu and Bergeron resigned already I think Richards is the only one who might make it to FA.

Old
10-16-2010, 08:02 AM
kyle747

Iginla is not getting traded. At least not by current management, who will be gone at the end of this year.

Old
10-16-2010, 08:32 AM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

Antti Miettinen might make for a good plan B if Richards or Laich don't make it to UFA, he's looked good so far this year.

As far as defense I think by the deadline were going to need another shutdown guy and just noticed Scott Hannan is a UFA after this year, if he's available I would love to pick him up to pair with Phillips, although there's cap issues there as he's pretty pricey. Jim Vandermeer in Edmonton could be a plan B as well.

Old
10-16-2010, 11:08 AM
itscameron

What do you guys think about something based around this:

to PITT:
Michalek + One of our best D Prospects

to OTT:
Staal + Low pick

?

I know Staal is overrated on these boards but I think he'd make a good 2nd line centre now, and for a long time to come.

Old
10-16-2010, 11:19 AM
Laoghaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by itscameron View Post
What do you guys think about something based around this:

to PITT:
Michalek + One of our best D Prospects

to OTT:
Staal + Low pick

?

I know Staal is overrated on these boards but I think he'd make a good 2nd line centre now, and for a long time to come.
He is no better than Fisher. So, why trade a top line winger (and a D prospect) for another Fisher.

Old
10-16-2010, 11:21 AM
Leave Spezza Alone
melnyk pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laoghaire View Post
He is no better than Fisher. So, why trade a top line winger (and a D prospect) for another Fisher.
Because then we can ship Fisher off to Nashville for Weber.

Closed Thread