HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chelios trade was a decision made by the Molson family

Old
09-07-2010, 01:43 PM
WestIslander

vCash: 500
Chelios trade was a decision made by the Molson family

I was just listening to Tony and Randy on the intermission (Team 990) and they said that the Chelios trade was a decision made by Ronald Corey and the ownership group at the time (Molson family). Apparently, it was NOT a hockey decision and it was more for business and personal reasons.

Still one of the worst trades the Habs made in the history of their franchise!

Quote:
After playing only 53 games in the next season (in which he served as co-captain, with Guy Carbonneau), on June 29, 1990, Chelios was traded to the Chicago Blackhawks with a 2nd-round draft pick for Denis Savard, who is now in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Sandvich
VERY NICE

Oh rly ?

Sandvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 01:49 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Was any trade made by the Habs between 1990 and 2000 NOT made for business and personal reasons?

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 01:50 PM
InglewoodJack

It actually didn't do much to our history. Cheli would have been like Koivu, powerless to turn the team's fortunes during the dark years.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 02:00 PM
ChoseLa

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 02:06 PM
Bullsmith

I've heard Serge Savard say this too, that he was ordered to trade Chelios based on his off-ice behavior. Given that the guy went on to have the second-longest career in the history of the NHL, I'd say their worries were a tad misplaced.

I just hope the new Molson bunch are better to the team than the brewery was.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
It actually didn't do much to our history. Cheli would have been like Koivu, powerless to turn the team's fortunes during the dark years.
Baloney, managment drove this team into the ground. They described us as a small, poor market that couldn't afford to re-sign top talent like Marc Recchi. Bad trades and cheapskate management are what created the dark years. They weren't pre-destined to happen.

Old
09-07-2010, 02:07 PM
shutehinside

I know it's been slow around here but isn't this pretty much common knowledge?

I've never heard anything any different when it comes to that trade. It's the same as the Corson, Carbo trade and the Roy trade. All made by management whose heads were so inflated with power that they felt like God getting rid of players who they disaproved of!

Corey and Peanut Houle were the worst management tandem ever. With Savard only to happy to apease management as well. That's why I was so happy when Gillette took over and let the GM do his job without interfering. I'm really worried about Goeff Molson wanting to get too involved and more so now that he named himself Pres. This could go down hill real quick and back to the dark days. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. A good owner is an invisible owner!

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 02:09 PM
JrHockeyFan

Yep. One of those foolish attempts to "correct past mistakes". They managed to get one player on the down-swing by dealing a player on the upswing. You knew it was a mistake when it happened. Should be a lesson for modern day as well.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 02:13 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Yep. One of those foolish attempts to "correct past mistakes". They managed to get one player on the down-swing by dealing a player on the upswing. You knew it was a mistake when it happened. Should be a lesson for modern day as well.
Should also be a lesson to keep your wife away from young and handsome greek hockey players that have great upswing, as you say.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 02:14 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 50
Another reason to not like the Molsons.

I miss Mr Gillet.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 02:16 PM
WestIslander

Quote:

I miss Mr Gillet.
The Molson's are fine, in fact, they are winners in this city and we need to bring that back.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
The Molson's are fine, in fact, they are winners in this city and we need to bring that back.
Agreed. Anyway Corey didn't work for the family, he worked for the brewery. Surely some overlap, but not necessarily any of the same folks who own the team now.

Old
09-07-2010, 02:51 PM
Turboflex*

I agree that if Geoff Molson decides he is smarter than the pros things can go sour here really quickly. George Gillett was a perfect owner let's hope Geoff Molson's ego doesn't lead him to believe he knows how to run the team better than anyone else. I am worried cuz his involvement with the Habs is his only job so he will have more time to meddle, unlike Gillett who had like 10 different business.

People like to blame JFJ and Fletcher for the Leafs' problems but the main cause was really Richard Peddie and the MLSE board who were running the team, the GMs were just figureheads.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 03:00 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
I was just listening to Tony and Randy on the intermission (Team 990) and they said that the Chelios trade was a decision made by Ronald Corey and the ownership group at the time (Molson family). Apparently, it was NOT a hockey decision and it was more for business and personal reasons.

Still one of the worst trades the Habs made in the history of their franchise!
The Molson Family did not own the team at the time. The Molson Brewery did, which is completely different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post

I miss Mr Gillet.
The Molson family (not the Molson Brewery) were owners of the team during a gigantic part of this organization's success. If anything, we should be happy that the team is back in the hands of the family that was there during all those cup wins.

People need to understand there's a difference between the Molson brewery and the Molson family. The name's are the same, but everything else is completely different.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
Not if we had kept Desjardins, Leclair, Schneider, Roy, Carbonneau, etc.

Des Louise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 03:06 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Baloney, managment drove this team into the ground. They described us as a small, poor market that couldn't afford to re-sign top talent like Marc Recchi. Bad trades and cheapskate management are what created the dark years. They weren't pre-destined to happen.
I think that's what the poster was getting at though....

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Hugo Sham

what an awful ****ing deal. we won in 93 without an injured savard and missed chelios taking over the mantle from guys like Robinson etc...

the mentally-challenged chelios and roy deals helped set this franchise back well...17 years

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 03:22 PM
MoonlightGraham

I've also heard that back then the Canadiens doctors thought Chelios' legs were not in good shape and he would have to retire early. Oh how wrong they were...

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

We got Denis Savard in return. I wouldn't say that was one of the worst trades in history, far from it.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 03:47 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
We got Denis Savard in return. I wouldn't say that was one of the worst trades in history, far from it.
based on the fact that savard was on the downswing in his career - and only played what? 3 years for us?
and chelios would become a cornerstone, Norris trophy winning d man for another decade + i would say yes, it was a terrible trade. throw in the 2nd rounder and it becomes even more pathetic

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 03:52 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
So we get an older Savard for about 210 games, just long enough to get him his Stanley Cup

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8451146

Chicago gets a future HOF defenseman who plays another 16 seasons

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8446053

It was pretty uneven exchange. We took a beating to get that specific name

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Carbo N8

The thing that bugged me about that trade and many others from that era was that even though we were sending arguably the better player (certainly Chelios was the player in the deal with more of a future at that stage of their respective careers), we still threw in the 2nd round pick as well.

Chicago should have been sending us the draft pick.

Carbo N8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 04:23 PM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
So we get an older Savard for about 210 games, just long enough to get him his Stanley Cup

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8451146

Chicago gets a future HOF defenseman who plays another 16 seasons

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8446053

It was pretty uneven exchange. We took a beating to get that specific name
i always heard Serge Savard say they thought his knees wouldnt hold up. who knows if thats true or not.

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 04:28 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Savard for Chelios was one of those hindsight good deals. If the Habs don't deal Chelios, I don't think they win that Cup in '93. Not that Savard makes the team better than Chelios, just that the right mix of cause and effect took place to get the Cup.

Kind of like when Feaster picked up Fedotenko for the 4th overall. It was a horrible deal value-wise, but Fedotenko scored the Cup-winning goal for Tampa.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote