HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Liberty to play at the Rock

Old
09-09-2010, 06:54 PM
hlundqvist30*

vCash: 500
850 million dollars and I guarantee not a single penny of it goes towards replacing the 500 year old seats or **** sightlines in the actual ****ing arena.

In other news, the WNBA still exists.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 07:00 PM
guyincognito

yeah, but there will be a bridge with terrace tables.

still don't understand how the hell that came about. it's like someone brought that up as a joke and Dolan said "WOW, THAT'S BRILLIANT!"

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 07:01 PM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
850 million dollars and I guarantee not a single penny of it goes towards replacing the 500 year old seats or **** sightlines in the actual ****ing arena.
$850M to renovate an arena...

PacManNJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 07:08 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanghostx View Post
$850M to renovate an arena...

Yeah, I'm going to need a link for that to believe it. It simply doesnt seem financially possible.

I know it's Manhattan, and I know Unions will be involved even when someone wants to take a dump, but I still cant see how $850,000,000 could be the figure.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 07:12 PM
guyincognito

I'm sure the bridge costs a pretty penny. probably have to revamp the roof to do that.
they're also blowing out the concourses. it's pretty much building a new building inside an existing building.

Old
09-09-2010, 07:58 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

I'm sure doing it in a way where the Knicks and Rangers are still playing in it during construction adds to the cost as well.

jkrdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 08:11 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PariseforPresident View Post
I could singlehandedly win a conference in the WNBA
CJ could.

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 10:23 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
I'm sure the bridge costs a pretty penny. probably have to revamp the roof to do that.
they're also blowing out the concourses. it's pretty much building a new building inside an existing building.
So, is it essentially a demo job where everything except the skeleton is being demolished? I didnt think it was that extensive.

Old
09-09-2010, 11:00 PM
Mr.Krinkle
Pod 6 is Jerks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post

Wow, that is ****ing insane. That's more than double what it cost to buy the land and build The Rock.

It sounds like a very overzealous effort - basically gutting and rebuilding the building in chunks over a few years? Where the hell are they getting this money from in this day and age?

Mr.Krinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 11:02 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

So that catwalk bridge thing is actually real!?

MJB Devils23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 11:05 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
So, is it essentially a demo job where everything except the skeleton is being demolished? I didnt think it was that extensive.
there's probably a bit of hyperbole in that, but they are coming pretty close to gutting the place when you think about it. I mean, there's going to be a fancy bar up by the blue seats. where the hell is that coming from?

going from an old building to a modern building, without actually demolishing the place, and keeping it open 8-9 months out of the year, that's got to be a challenge, especially from a financial standpoint, because it'll take forever.

they really just should have shut down either this June or next June and sent the teams off to the dump for a year or so. but I guess you need the revenue, and no one's paying $1000K a seat to watch a game in East Rutherford. they have the train infrastructure and all, though, it'd make sense.

hey, and since the Devils are working their way to getting the book for both buildings, we probably could have dragged some money out of it. lol.

Old
09-09-2010, 11:08 PM
Mr.Krinkle
Pod 6 is Jerks

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Korean Kid 23 View Post
So that catwalk bridge thing is actually real!?
Apparently they really want to do this:

http://nymag.com/daily/sports/2010/0...meline_or.html

I really don't see the ****ing point. Maybe Knicks fans can just leap to their deaths rather than watch the game?

Also, you're just giving Flyers fans better vantage points from which to hurl D-Cells at Lundqvist and Avery

Old
09-09-2010, 11:10 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Krinkle View Post
Apparently they really want to do this:

http://nymag.com/daily/sports/2010/0...meline_or.html

I really don't see the ****ing point. Maybe Knicks fans can just leap to their deaths rather than watch the game?
I just don't understand where it goes. they should have done a panoramic painting of it. it looks like the bridge to nowhere. imagine if you're the poor schmuck who has seats where this thing ends.

Old
09-09-2010, 11:15 PM
CerebralGenesis

Are the rangers losing the game in that image? lol

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 11:15 PM
None Shall Pass
Got Carter

I really don't doubt that it's going cost $850M to fix that place. Between the fact that it has to be kept open during the renovations, and that it's being kept in one piece on the outside, and the crazy unions, and that there's a huge train station underground....totally not a stretch.

None Shall Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 11:16 PM
Mr.Krinkle
Pod 6 is Jerks

It doesn't go anywhere, just from one endzone to the other. I guess that's one way to alleviate traffic on those cramped upper concourses, but unless there's beer men and places to piss on those bridges, what ****ing good does it do?

Old
09-09-2010, 11:22 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
It doesn't go anywhere, just from one endzone to the other. I guess that's one way to alleviate traffic on those cramped upper concourses, but unless there's beer men and places to piss on those bridges, what ****ing good does it do?
but, that's what I mean, if that thing goes anywhere near seats in the endzone, those are the worst seats in the universe. it cuts off your sightlines and people are going to be marching back and forth all the time.

the contractor isn't going to tell you "dude, that's nuts", they'll just accept the money. especially if it means work needs to be done to the roof that wouldn't have otherwise been needed.

and they're supposed to be blowing the concourses out to something more like the size in our building. so I don't know if it really needs to serve that purpose. it's just something that's there for the sake of being there, because someone thinks it's cool.

Old
09-09-2010, 11:24 PM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

The whole catwalk thing seems mind numbingly stupid. I can't imagine how it wouldn't be a massive eyesore.

Das Uber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 11:33 PM
Roomtemperature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omair Taher View Post
The whole catwalk thing seems mind numbingly stupid. I can't imagine how it wouldn't be a massive eyesore.
They were watching old WWF footage and heard Gorilla Monsoon talk about fans hanging from the rafters and they wanted to make it actually happen.

Roomtemperature is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 11:43 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

I've never been to MSG.

MJB Devils23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 12:09 AM
Techno Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Korean Kid 23 View Post
I've never been to MSG.

dont go, your not missing anything. penn station is cooler and more up to date than the rink.

if your not blinded by the nostalgia and jersey like i never was, your basically just sitting in a seat that so old that when it was built the average man was still 5'7. on top of that, its **** hockey that you can barley see because the lights only give off a dim yellow tinge at center ice, that leaves the corners with actual shadows.

think blackout night at the rock, only they dont give you vouchers to a titans lacrosse game.

Quote:
that reminds me, they better not try to peddle off free liberty tickets to the season ticket holders this year. it was bad enough i thought they were going to make me go to a nets or titans game, but this is almost worse then when they tried to give away 75% of alvin ailey tickets back at the CAA

Techno Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 12:15 AM
Mr.Krinkle
Pod 6 is Jerks

Yeah the only thing you're missing at MSG is the "free" pretzel stick with your 10 dollar beer.

Old
09-10-2010, 12:15 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Where the hell are they getting this money from in this day and age?
Probably from the same place politicians always get their money. You.

Quote:

Also, you're just giving Flyers fans better vantage points from which to hurl D-Cells at Lundqvist and Avery
There's no way that thing gets built as pictured. Safety hazard much?

And I think I know the "reason" why it's there. Imagine for a moment you're the architect for this entire project. Your task is to make this dump look "modern" and with some of the fancy trappings of new arenas. And to accomplish that goal you can......ummmm.....well...errrr.. actually you're pretty much completely artistically handcuffed at every turn. I bet there's really not much you can do at all, so you come up with some scatterbrain concept like this. Just my speculation of course, but it seems logical.

Old
09-10-2010, 12:20 AM
Mr.Krinkle
Pod 6 is Jerks

It's privately owned, the only way they will get money out of me is if they jack up my ISP rates, and by then I'll have moved to someplace with FiOS

Old
09-10-2010, 12:22 AM
Techno Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Probably from the same place politicians always get their money. You.

There's no way that thing gets built as pictured. Safety hazard much?

And I think I know the "reason" why it's there. Imagine for a moment you're the architect for this entire project. Your task is to make this dump look "modern" and with some of the fancy trappings of new arenas. And to accomplish that goal you can......ummmm.....well...errrr.. actually you're pretty much completely artistically handcuffed at every turn. I bet there's really not much you can do at all, so you come up with some scatterbrain concept like this. Just my speculation of course, but it seems logical.

headline: 'Bridge to Nowhere' collapses killing Homo Larry, 10 other douchers including susan saranden, billy christal, and spike lee.

i would be so beside myself with joy

Techno Devil is offline   Reply With Quote