HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs ink free agent forward Jeff Halpern

Old
09-12-2010, 05:19 PM
MaKi
Marschak's #1 Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I don't know if people notice but I actually purposely put all similar type goals together on purpose.
The guys offensive awareness seems pretty good. He's always finding holes in the defense and the puck just comes to him.

Looks like he's not afraid to go the front of the net either. I could see him getting some PP time if there's injuries, or if guys higher on the depth chart are slumping.

There were a few clips of him finishing off some tic-tac-toe plays from Lecavalier and St.Louis I think it was.

MaKi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 04:00 PM
SakuSauce
Drive for 25

Now that Belanger signed with PHX for only 750K, I think we should've signed Belanger rather than Halpern. He's a good 2way player and is a francophone (I'm not the type of fan that wants 23 quebecers, but it would've been nice for the city + he's a very good player).

SakuSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 04:09 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku_All_The_Way View Post
Now that Belanger signed with PHX for only 750K, I think we should've signed Belanger rather than Halpern. He's a good 2way player and is a francophone (I'm not the type of fan that wants 23 quebecers, but it would've been nice for the city + he's a very good player).
I don't think he wanted to be a team's 4th line center though.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 04:20 PM
SakuSauce
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
I don't think he wanted to be a team's 4th line center though.
I have a feeling that the Habs called him and offered him 600K and then he replied that he's looking for 1M (because of all the taxes here) and they haven't called back to save 400K. That's my feeling. I'm might be wrong lol

SakuSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 09:59 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 10:06 AM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Tony Marinaro won't stop yapping about this and it drives me crazy. Here are the key FACTS:

1) Belanger had a verbal deal with the Caps for way, way more than 750 K. His agent told those who inquired about his services that he had a deal with the Caps, it was just waiting for the Caps to make a move first.

2) The caps screwed Belanger over and reneged on their part of the deal. In the CBA, there's no recourse for this as you have to register a contract with the league before it counts. No verbal contracts allowed.

3) After that, Belanger was offered more money thand 750K but wanted a bigger role than he was being offered. He does NOT want to play as a 4th liner, so he took less money to go to Phoenix.

This is all coming straight from Belanger's mouth in an interview a couple of days ago.

So:

A) When Gauthier signed Halperin, Belanger was NOT AVAILABLE and also MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE. After the caps screwed him over, Belanger became available at a cheaper rate, but Halperin was already signed. Personally I think the argument that Gauthier should've left his roster unfinished basically till camp was started in the hopes that George McPhee would screw over Belanger and we could snap him up is pure hindisight nonsense.

The only reasons Belanger became available were that McPhee lied and Belanger's agent was incompetent and trusted him. It's not possible for Gauthier to affect a private deal between McPhee and Belanger, so he did what he could and signed an available UFA. Belanger wasn't an option and if McPhee were honest or his agent were competent (ie. demanded it in writing) he never would've been.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 10:15 AM
JackieChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Tony Marinaro won't stop yapping about this and it drives me crazy. Here are the key FACTS:

1) Belanger had a verbal deal with the Caps for way, way more than 750 K. His agent told those who inquired about his services that he had a deal with the Caps, it was just waiting for the Caps to make a move first.

2) The caps screwed Belanger over and reneged on their part of the deal. In the CBA, there's no recourse for this as you have to register a contract with the league before it counts. No verbal contracts allowed.

3) After that, Belanger was offered more money thand 750K but wanted a bigger role than he was being offered. He does NOT want to play as a 4th liner, so he took less money to go to Phoenix.

This is all coming straight from Belanger's mouth in an interview a couple of days ago.

So:

A) When Gauthier signed Halperin, Belanger was NOT AVAILABLE and also MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE. After the caps screwed him over, Belanger became available at a cheaper rate, but Halperin was already signed. Personally I think the argument that Gauthier should've left his roster unfinished basically till camp was started in the hopes that George McPhee would screw over Belanger and we could snap him up is pure hindisight nonsense.

The only reasons Belanger became available were that McPhee lied and Belanger's agent was incompetent and trusted him. It's not possible for Gauthier to affect a private deal between McPhee and Belanger, so he did what he could and signed an available UFA. Belanger wasn't an option and if McPhee were honest or his agent were competent (ie. demanded it in writing) he never would've been.
Thanks for the recap, I was also wondering wtf didn't we get Belanger instead, but wasn't aware of his being screwd by the Caps and his ice time demands, which explain the lower salary.

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 10:19 AM
gusfring

Quote:
I have a feeling that the Habs called him and offered him 600K and then he replied that he's looking for 1M (because of all the taxes here) and they haven't called back to save 400K. That's my feeling. I'm might be wrong lol
Where do you get this from? You are making SO MANY assumptions...

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 12:25 AM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

FYI, good locker room guy. Can play wing. Great release on his shot, if you have someone who can do the work on the boards. Not as good as he once was defensively, but at his age and the wear and tear, thats just how it goes. Works his ass off. Kind of curious to see how much he has left in the tank.

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 01:04 AM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
FYI, good locker room guy. Can play wing. Great release on his shot, if you have someone who can do the work on the boards. Not as good as he once was defensively, but at his age and the wear and tear, thats just how it goes. Works his ass off. Kind of curious to see how much he has left in the tank.
He's quite probably going to be used on our fourth line with Moen and Lapierre, so I don't think there's any reason to worry as long as the boards play is concerned. The 3rd line will quite probably be Boyd-Eller-Pyatt/other prospect, or Pouliot - Boyd - Pyatt/Lapierre if Eller gets the remaining LW spot Jacques Martin said was open on the 2nd line with Gomez and Gionta. The first line is pretty much 100% sure of being Cammalleri - Plekanec - Kostitsyn

Quite obviously, his injury has slowed him down. I'm aware of that.

Being a TB fan, do you think it's realistic to expect solid defense, some PK duties, and about 10G-15A-25PTS from him if he gets some additionnal ice time during injuries?

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 08:29 AM
Richiebottles
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Does anyone else Think that Halpern could look like Brett Farves brother ?

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 08:34 AM
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Vinceee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
Metropolit 2.0... i like it

Vinceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 08:37 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinceee View Post
Metropolit 2.0... i like it
Bigger, and a little tougher...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 06:06 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
He's quite probably going to be used on our fourth line with Moen and Lapierre, so I don't think there's any reason to worry as long as the boards play is concerned. The 3rd line will quite probably be Boyd-Eller-Pyatt/other prospect, or Pouliot - Boyd - Pyatt/Lapierre if Eller gets the remaining LW spot Jacques Martin said was open on the 2nd line with Gomez and Gionta. The first line is pretty much 100% sure of being Cammalleri - Plekanec - Kostitsyn

Quite obviously, his injury has slowed him down. I'm aware of that.

Being a TB fan, do you think it's realistic to expect solid defense, some PK duties, and about 10G-15A-25PTS from him if he gets some additionnal ice time during injuries?
If you have someone who can do the dirty work in the corners for him and let him post up at the circles, and he stays healthy, he could touch those numbers. I'm not entirely sure how to judge him, honestly, as the last two years have either been with a bad, injury plagued team, or with a team that was somewhat healthy, but seemingly lacking any kind of defensive structure. I don't think hes slowed down a ton, hes just not going to be lighting the world on fire by any stretch.

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote