HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

McKenzie-Fedotenko accepts Rangers training camp tryout offer

Old
09-07-2010, 04:46 PM
gluvhand

vCash: 500
Could be as simple as Tortorella letting him show what he has left to other teams.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 04:59 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
80 11 19 30 -17 50

not the kinda numbers a 31 yr old forward needs to assure himself of a contract.

huge pass here.
You do realize that Malkin was a -6 last year, too, right? Huge pass on him, too?

I don't see the harm in having him show what he's got left.

haohmaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 05:04 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
You do realize that Malkin was a -6 last year, too, right? Huge pass on him, too?

I don't see the harm in having him show what he's got left.
you cannot be serious.

67 28 49 77 -6 and thats in 67 games.

please stop.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 05:06 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
you cannot be serious.

67 28 49 77 -6 and thats in 67 games.

please stop.
He's a completely different player. Fedotenko gets 30-40 points every year and is 31 years old. There's no reason NOT to look at him. My point was that even Malkin was a -6 (since that's what you had hilighted in red) on that team. +/- is the worst stat in hockey.

Old
09-07-2010, 05:08 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
robixsmash @stevezipay especially not enough 30-40 point max, not-top-line left wings.

NYfan1610 @stevezipay If Feds comes to camp on a tryout there definitely is a trade in the works with 17 LW's on the roster

Still, there is no downside to this. And ODC, I dont think most people were against a 1 year deal for Demitra, it was the 2 year 3 mil per that we were hearing that freaked most people.
im pretty certain we never, ever were hearing 3 mil per for multi years.

i heard 1 yr @ 1.5 mil and heavily incentive laden.

and he said they had a deal but we delayed getting back to him so he signed elsewhere.

anyway, im not losing sleep over it but my point was simply that he was "old" "injured" and would "block our kids"....

meanwhile, todd white and perhaps the tank will be in camp this year and we gave a gazillion dollars to a goon who cannot even play hockey.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 05:12 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below:Rangers' Balls

It's a tryout, he hasn't been awarded a roster spot yet. All that's guaranteed to result from this is that no one can feel like they've got a roster spot locked up already. Since when is competition bad? Seriously some of you just try to find reasons to be upset. Lets see how things shake out first.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 05:23 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Great. I've loved Fedotenko since his Lightning days. He might be a little washed up now, but if he earns a roster spot why not give him one on a cheap deal? Fedotenko is usually a dynamo in the post-season, and really puts in effort when it's needed. He was a significant factor in why the Lightning won the cup.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 05:27 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

You know what? I'm not a big Todd White guy, but let's get this straight about Pavel Demitra (who I won't argue is talented): the guy has been bouncing around the NHL since '93-94 and has played 70+ games in a season only 4 times. NO THANK YOU.

Boogaard is a necessary evil. It'll take one Flyers game for him to earn 1/2 his salary. And if people think twice about going near Henrik, then he's earned his salary.

I'm with pan and generic - a tryout hurts no one.

Old
09-07-2010, 05:27 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Although I wanted Nedved to make the team last year (and he deserved to based on his camp), I'm hoping this is just this year's Nedved. Fedotenko will probably look good in camp but not get a contract and the spot will go to a rookie. Fingers crossed.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 05:30 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
Although I wanted Nedved to make the team last year (and he deserved to based on his camp), I'm hoping this is just this year's Nedved. Fedotenko will probably look good in camp but not get a contract and the spot will go to a rookie. Fingers crossed.
Nedved was 08-09, last year we tried out that Sharks defenseman who got hurt and Matt Maccaronne.

I will argue to this day that Nedved should have been on the 08-09 squad.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 05:33 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Nedved was 08-09, last year we tried out that Sharks defenseman who got hurt and Matt Maccaronne.

Oh yeah, Semenov. He got hurt? I thought we had a deal in place and his wife basically veto'd it? Either way, my memory isn't what it used to be.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 05:33 PM
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

Ugh I woudnt mind this, but we just have to many fowards.. If he some how gets a contract, I guess bye bye to Avery?

.. Come on Sather, use your money on defenseman..

Hanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaborik Scores View Post
Ugh I woudnt mind this, but we just have to many fowards.. If he some how gets a contract, I guess bye bye to Avery?

.. Come on Sather, use your money on defenseman..
Defense is pretty set too. Staal and Girardi automatically have a roster spot. Del Zotto and McDonagh being on the team means we're letting the young guys play. Rozsival will be on the team unless traded. And despite everybody counting him out, Gilroy WILL be on the ice on the first game. They had high hopes for this kid. He didn't meet expectations last year, but he got bigger and they're not going to count him out. This is his year to show he can play in the NHL.

Old
09-07-2010, 05:36 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Nedved was a 36/37 year old C competing for a spot on a team with Gomez, Drury, Dubinsky, & Betts as their centers. I guess they could've used him on the wing, but I don't think he was a Renney type of player. I liked Nedved, too.

Fedotenko is only 31 and, for a team who was as challenged as we were last year in scoring, I don't see how anyone can react to this negatively. I give him a decent chance to compete for a spot.

Old
09-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
Oh yeah, Semenov. He got hurt? I thought we had a deal in place and his wife basically veto'd it? Either way, my memory isn't what it used to be.
Semenov was one, yeah, and we didn't sign him because of his wife. I was remembering Kyle Mclaren, I think.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Semenov was one, yeah, and we didn't sign him because of his wife. I was remembering Kyle Mclaren, I think.
I was really excited about Semenov, too. Two things this organization needed in one package. A hard-hitter, and a monster slapshot from the point.

Old
09-07-2010, 05:58 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Funny how so many were busting me about Sather not turning over the club too much this offseason, yet it seems like every week we are adding another forward.

No big deal, theres always a few tryout players coming and going. But the amount of extras is getting a little crazy... sure Glen - if you were so dedicated to youth why do you keep trying to fill holes with more of your reclamation projects? whatever... hes a torts guy. lol This years Nedved? - he does perform well in the postseason though.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Scooter17

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
While I always invite competition, I'm really tired of this "throw **** at the wall and see what sticks" philosophy.

On paper, everyone loves an additional influx of talent. Sather's continual gambles on waiver wire pickups, and reclamation projects doesn't show great insight and creativity, it just further magnifies his inabilities to build a well constructed team.

Let the youngsters fight for any remaining roster spots, hell, there might not be any left already, and they don't need an additional declining veteran clogging any semblance of a roster hole.
LOL. Thats a funny way of putting it. True though.

Scooter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Yeah, K-Mac was invited but failed the physical.

Feds was abysmal in Pittsburgh this year. Even in the playoffs where he allegedly excels, but managed to spend over half the games in the press box and not tally a single point. We don't need more 30 point, bottom-six players. Seems like we have plenty of competition already.

Only reason I can think of is Tortorella is letting him get some work in at our camp to see if he can land a job elsewhere.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 06:32 PM
DutchShamrock

At least we'll get to see how much playing with Malkin/Crosby helps your stats and play for mediocre players.

DutchShamrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 06:46 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Sadly, he'd have a chance to make the team....along with the dozen or so other bad forwards we have.

How does Sather's brain work where this seems like a better idea than bringing in a rugged 6th/7th d-man type for an opportunity?

And another thing, I always see "trade is coming" when Sather does these sort of things, but 99% of the time, a trade never comes. Its really just Sather shoveling **** against the tide with these truly unremarkable players

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 07:02 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

This is all Torts. I wouldn't be shocked one bit if Fedotenko finds his way into the starting line-up come October.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 07:08 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
Could be as simple as Tortorella letting him show what he has left to other teams.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post

Only reason I can think of is Tortorella is letting him get some work in at our camp to see if he can land a job elsewhere.
That's my vote too. Same circumstances as the Nedved tryout really. Calling in a favor from someone in your network when you need it.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:

I agree... I though he played very well and was shocked when he didn't make the cut.

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 07:13 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
That's my vote too. Same circumstances as the Nedved tryout really. Calling in a favor from someone in your network when you need it.
I don't see it that way. Many coaches (including Torts) do not like the idea of players who are not under contract/have the potential to sign elsewhere being a part of their camp.

I think it's more of Torts' familiarity w/ Fedotenko's game and how Fedotenko succeeded under Torts' system in Tampa. That's why he's going to be given a good look IMO.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote