HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

McKenzie-Fedotenko accepts Rangers training camp tryout offer

Old
09-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Radek27

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
I always liked Fedotenko. He finds ways to score the big goal when his team needs it. Injuries happen, nothing wrong with having a good vet like this in case of a major one or some of these kids we are expecting to make it aren't up to this level yet.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 08:39 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section311 View Post
This is getting crazy we have way to many fowards. Why even bother its just another spot for a kid to lose if we sign this guy.
If a "kid" can't beat out Ruslan Fedotenko on a try out, you don't need to cry about a spot being taken from a "kid"... you should be crying about the quality of and/or effort level from the kid.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 08:40 PM
eco's bones

I don't suppose there's any harm in taking a look. OTOH I'd really like to see someone like Weise make it. Anyway looking Fedotenko up on Hockeydb--he's won the cup twice and both times he's been a big factor. No denying that gut the other 5 times he's been in the playoffs he's been a non-factor at least statistically. Like in 35 gp and 3 pts. of a non-factor. His clutchness seems to be a feast or famine deal.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
If a "kid" can't beat out Ruslan Fedotenko on a try out, you don't need to cry about a spot being taken from a "kid"... you should be crying about the quality of and/or effort level from the kid.
exactly. Do you really want a Grachev or Weise who cant beat out a camp tryout guy on the Rangers already?

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 08:47 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section311 View Post
This is getting crazy we have way to many fowards. Why even bother its just another spot for a kid to lose if we sign this guy.

This is the kind of response I was expecting when I read the title. It's Fedotenko, he's crap. If 1 of our young guys cant beat him out for the spot then we probably dont need him.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

not sure how a mediocre player invited to play for a mediocre team either hurts or helps us.

*shrugs*

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 09:03 PM
Jules Winnfield
Top 6 wing please...

Fedotenko was the worst Penguin forward last season.

Worst +- on the team. Blew so many plays in the defensive zone that there were 4-5 losses pinned on him where he let the right defenseman skate wherever they wanted and rifle shots at Fleury. It was of epic proportions late in the season where we lost 2 or 3 games in a short amount of time with the same plays happening with Fedotenko being the same guy to blow his defensive coverage.

Played with no offensive effort last season. As someone said earlier, the year before, he was a solid player. When he wasn't scoring, he was doing good work along the boards. He just completely regressed last year.

People wonder why Malkin's points were down.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 09:15 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I don't see it that way. Many coaches (including Torts) do not like the idea of players who are not under contract/have the potential to sign elsewhere being a part of their camp.

I think it's more of Torts' familiarity w/ Fedotenko's game and how Fedotenko succeeded under Torts' system in Tampa. That's why he's going to be given a good look IMO.
When has Tortorella ever indicated that he feels that way? He refused to allow Dubinsky to participate, but that was simply because he was in the middle of a contract dispute and it would be a distraction. Fedotenko hardly fits that bill.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 09:49 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Larry

Quote:
Rangers have invited Fedotenko to camp on tryout--Why? Who knows?--but the 30yo winger who was -17 with Pitt last year has yet to accept.
https://twitter.com/NYP_Brooksie/status/23866199350

Check out the exchange between Brooks and Friedman regarding Fedotenko.

https://twitter.com/FriedmanHNIC

Spector

Quote:
Rangers source on Fedotenko: "We have talked to him, but nothing to report beyond that."
http://twitter.com/NYDNRangers/status/23868242085

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 10:08 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Good to hear Brooks talk positive about him...But, I just want to see this team run it's course with the people involved already before changing dynamic once again. This club is already loaded with forwards. I think a guy like Fedotenko though, takes the squad back into the "tired legs" category again.

I would rather see a guy like Weise as someone earlier mentioned, or even a Gratchev get thier chance with the club. I think a Fedotenko has more of a chance than a guy like Nedved does of making the team. In fact, I would even think of it as probable...if th erumor is true.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 10:09 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

It also has Tortorella written all over it. He proved me wrong with Vinny, but can he do it again?

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Tortorella is clearly trying to reconstruct the 03-04 Lightning.

Rangers definitely have a trade in place to send Drury and Roszival to Tampa for Lecav & St. Louis...

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 10:24 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Feds sucks, but whatever. Competition is ok by me. Torts is just looking to help one of his boys showcase his skills.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Feds sucks, but whatever. Competition is ok by me. Torts is just looking to help one of his boys showcase his skills.
he is this yrs Dan Lacature SP?

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 10:37 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

I like Fedotenko, but this team will have zero cohesion and/or continuity.

You know the Amtrak from Hartford to Penn Station is going to packed with 3rd Line NHL'ers for months.

I'm surprised the Isles arent interested in him.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 11:01 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Competition is always healthy. Yes he had a cruddy year last year but the guy has shown talent to score and is 31 years old. He could have a bounce back year somehow. I'm not counting on it but I don't see anything wrong with giving the guy a tryout.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 11:04 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
NYfan1610 @stevezipay If Feds comes to camp on a tryout there definitely is a trade in the works with 17 LW's on the roster
This obviously signals Rick Nash to the Rangers

09-07-2010, 11:37 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Unless we plan on fusing players into super-hybrids, I don't see the space for him, even if MZA fails to make the roster out of camp.

That being said, a camp invite hardly guarantees him a spot. See, e.g., Nedved, Petr.
This is true.

It can't hurt to have these guys around to push the young players harder to earn those spots.

And if the young guys don't earn a spot, its not because those spots were handed to the vets, its because the young guys weren't ready just yet, and will get called up later in the season.

Its a tryout. If he earns it, it'll be a one year, risk free deal. No downside here.

On Nedved, he earned a roster spot out of camp. I wanted to see what he had left in real games. Unfortunate that he wasn't given a shot to have one last season, because he did earned it.

This is all coming from someone who would rather see the youth. But I don't think Stepan or Grachev are ready yet. Unfortunately think Byers has dropped in the depth chart. Unfortunate because he can play.

I think Weise deserves a long look. And he will get it. Now he has a lot of competition. He can earn it with hard work. I hope he earns it.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 11:38 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

There's nothing wrong with depth.

Old
09-07-2010, 11:41 PM
XLJ

Fedotenko was awful last year. He is washed up. Rangers have more than enough capable 3rd and 4th line players. Wishful thinking from Sather he is just stock piling a bunch of 4th liners and hoping one of them will magically turn into a 1st line talent.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 11:41 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I wasn't expecting this team to be a playoff team this year. But with quality depth, they might be fun to watch. The more quality depth they have, the better they will be.

I fully expect Stepan and Grachev to be ready next year.

And McDonagh this year.

So for this year, there is no problem having these forwards on one year deals to entertain us while the young guys develop properly.

Old
09-08-2010, 01:01 AM
BrandNewDream

At least Semenov filled a GLARING need at the time. I'm with the majority, I can't understand why this happened.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 01:39 AM
smoneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
so hes looking for a job with us why ?

Last edited by smoneil: 09-08-2010 at 02:24 AM.
smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 02:24 AM
Ola

I would bet that he won't make the team.

I saw him live in Sweden early last season and he was god awful. Obviuosly very out of shape et c (he skated like Colton Orr). I have a hard time seein him turning it around.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 05:34 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Good to hear Brooks talk positive about him...But, I just want to see this team run it's course with the people involved already before changing dynamic once again. This club is already loaded with forwards. I think a guy like Fedotenko though, takes the squad back into the "tired legs" category again.

I would rather see a guy like Weise as someone earlier mentioned, or even a Gratchev get thier chance with the club. I think a Fedotenko has more of a chance than a guy like Nedved does of making the team. In fact, I would even think of it as probable...if th erumor is true.
Actually, that's Friedman who is positive, Brooks is less enthusiast about Fedotenko coming to camp...

http://twitter.com/nyp_brooksie

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote