HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

McKenzie-Fedotenko accepts Rangers training camp tryout offer

Old
09-08-2010, 05:36 AM
pld459666

vCash: 500

After reading this, I was looking for the upside to this and I really can't find one.

Lets say that Feds comes in and out-plays a rookie, What does that say about the kid?

Fedotenko is a 3rd liner, a solid one with a bit of talent yes, but a 3rd liner at best. He comes in here and takes a roster spot from a kid it's because he's the best option which speaks volumns about the youth in our system.

So, we assume Feds makes the team, where does he play and over whom on the current roster does he get a spot?

Avery? Not likely
Callahan (rehtorical)
Anisimov? He's the 3rd line center thsi year, cemented.
Prust? I think that Feds provides more offence, but Prust does so much more.
Boogaard? Maybe, but highly unlikely
Boyle - This I can see, but with the recent signing of Kennedy, that becomes a bit more murky
Kennedy? Feds will have a tough time supplanting this kid.

Feds is not a 2nd line forward, so he's not going to touch the top 6, so where would he fit?

To me, this is all about pushing the kids and if they fail, that is going to suck copious amounts of balls

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 06:09 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
If a "kid" can't beat out Ruslan Fedotenko on a try out, you don't need to cry about a spot being taken from a "kid"... you should be crying about the quality of and/or effort level from the kid.
I agree.... Competition is a very good thing and if the kids can't make the team
based on some competition than maybe the kid is somewhat overhyped or the kid
just needs some seasoning/experience...

Fedotenko is a proven NHL player, he is 31 years old, proven playoff warrior, great character
and still young enough to be effective in the NHL on a 3rd line...

Heck, back in 1990 or 1991 the Rangers traded for Messier and he was what 31 years old or so
and he had plenty of great years for the Rangers at that age...

*** I am not comparing Fedotenko to Messier at all, I am just mentioning that a player at 31 years
old is certainly not over the hill****

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 06:57 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

too much rationalizing here. bottom line, we dont need him and he wont help us.

the guy is shot. he skates in mud. he looked positively awful last year and that was playing on a team full of talent. we're um...... different.

i do not want him even for a tryout. when he dresses, thats one less kid that dresses. when he gets a shift, thats one less shift that kid gets. and should he score a goal or even 2 in preseason games, then were looking at a guy who might steal a spot from a kid who offers more to the organization now and long term.

im not so sure theres gonna be any "beating anyone out" in camp.

again, this kinda move proves to me that this teams roster is already written in stone. the staff knows exactly whos gonna break camp 1-9. its those last 3 or 4 spots- that dont matter anyway with a torts the clown coached team, that arent filled yet.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 08:28 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
After reading this, I was looking for the upside to this and I really can't find one.

Lets say that Feds comes in and out-plays a rookie, What does that say about the kid?

Fedotenko is a 3rd liner, a solid one with a bit of talent yes, but a 3rd liner at best. He comes in here and takes a roster spot from a kid it's because he's the best option which speaks volumns about the youth in our system.

So, we assume Feds makes the team, where does he play and over whom on the current roster does he get a spot?

Avery? Not likely
Callahan (rehtorical)
Anisimov? He's the 3rd line center thsi year, cemented.
Prust? I think that Feds provides more offence, but Prust does so much more.
Boogaard? Maybe, but highly unlikely
Boyle - This I can see, but with the recent signing of Kennedy, that becomes a bit more murky
Kennedy? Feds will have a tough time supplanting this kid.

Feds is not a 2nd line forward, so he's not going to touch the top 6, so where would he fit?

To me, this is all about pushing the kids and if they fail, that is going to suck copious amounts of balls
If Stepan doesn't make it, its because he isn't ready yet.

If Grachev doesn't make it, its because he isn't ready yet.

Stepan and Grachev are 20 years old. What speaks volume is that they're both pro hockey players and competing for a spot on the NHL roster already.

And really, what spot would Fedotenko be blocking? The healthy scratch extra forward role? That's what he would be IF he makes it.

But the reality is, he isn't going to mske it. He will be there to push the other guys in camp, and then be let go.

Stepan is not going to be playing on the bottom lines. And neither will Grachev.

And if Weise and Kennedy don't make it this year, its because of guys like Prust, Avery, and Boogaard.

And if White makes it, its for insurance if Christensen and Boyle don't perform.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 09:06 AM
GAGLine

Some people are making way more out of this than necessary. More than likely this is Torts doing Fedotenko a favor, rather than Sather looking for him to compete for a spot. By being in camp, it gives him a chance to showcase himself and maybe get picked up by another team.

And if by some chance he does great, we can sign him for really cheap for 1 year. There's no downside to this, as much as some people want to look for one.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 09:19 AM
Balej20*

There's not going to be enough room on the ice during camp for all of these forwards.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 09:53 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Some people are making way more out of this than necessary. More than likely this is Torts doing Fedotenko a favor, rather than Sather looking for him to compete for a spot. By being in camp, it gives him a chance to showcase himself and maybe get picked up by another team.

And if by some chance he does great, we can sign him for really cheap for 1 year. There's no downside to this, as much as some people want to look for one.
I feel that this is fairly correct.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 09:57 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
There's not going to be enough room on the ice during camp for all of these forwards.
Most truthful post all off-season.

Getting a little ridiculous.

Quote:

That's not the point anymore. Everyone is making this argument: for Kennedy, White, now Fedotenko, etc.

There IS no point. It's not that there's "no downside", it's that there's barely any upside in these deals and they make no sense.

At first, in this off-season, and on July 1st in the early-going, we thought we had some spots for kids and were going to ice a younger team. They really didn't pan out as everyone planned.

Yes, I realize that if Fedotenko/Kennedy etc clearly outplays Stepan then it's the better choice, but for once can we stop taking other teams leftovers and produce our own.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 10:01 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:

I feel that this is fairly correct.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 10:02 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
i would be majorly bummed if i was a kid like say.... dale weise or dane byers- whos time is growing short- looking to make the team and my ice time was severley cut do to all the "favors" were doing and camp invitees that are clogging up the ice and taking my shifts.

can a rookie really get enough shifts and a fair look to make the team ?

Last edited by offdacrossbar: 09-08-2010 at 10:08 AM.
offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 10:08 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
i would be majorly bummed if i was a kid like say.... dane byers- whos time is growing short- looking to make the team and my ice time was severley cut do to all the "favors" were doing and camp invitees that are clogging up the ice and taking my shifts.

Of course they can. Every year people ask these same questions and every year kids get their shot to earn a spot. Why should this year be any different?

It isn't just the preseason games, it's in practice too where they have a chance to shine. Not everyone is going to play in every game. That's just the way it is.

Byers will get at least a couple games. If he doesn't show anything in those games, or in practice, then he should sit so someone else can get a look. Play well and earn your time and it's not an issue.

The whole "but there's no spots for the kids" line is getting old already. There are spots for kids who earn their spots.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Ola

Quote:

I agree 100%, my bet is that he isn't even on the same planet as the players who will compete for spots in our lower lines...

...Fedetenko is very strong along the boards, he is experienced and he is used to playing with good players. Thats why Pittsburgh gave him a shot. He is a very good fit next to a good center.

But Pittsburgh no doubt regrets that they invested in him, because he just ain't good enough and couldn't even cut it for them with very very little competition. In NY, he never will come close enough. He just ain't a "3rd lineer" in any sense, he is a bad fit on a 3rd or 4th line.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Vitto79

If they can some how some way turn Avery, Christiensen, Boyle into a C for Gaborik then sure, otherwise no need for Fedotenko to even be around

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 10:47 AM
OverTheCap

Not a big deal, competition is a good thing. When Nedved was a try-out in 2008, Korpikoski managed to beat him out. I wouldn't be too concerned about it, especially with Torts emphasizing how he wants the team to get younger.

The funniest thing about all of this is the implication that the young players shouldn't have to earn a spot amongst competition, while in another thread some are arguing that Staal should be forced to earn a spot on the team if he holds out.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 11:19 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
i would be majorly bummed if i was a kid like say.... dale weise or dane byers- whos time is growing short- looking to make the team and my ice time was severley cut do to all the "favors" were doing and camp invitees that are clogging up the ice and taking my shifts.

This is a really good point.

I have no doubt that this is primarily Torts doing one of his old guys a favor, that the Rangers aren't really counting on him to earn a spot, that if he makes it over a Grachev it means that Grachev quite simply needs more time in HFD, etc. All that makes sense. Quite frankly, there's no way that Ruslan Fedotenko is taking a spot away from one of the team's higher profile prospects.

But this blows for the lower profile prospects. If you're a Dane Byers or a Dale Weise, you had to do a lot in a little bit of time to make the team. And that little just got smaller.

If this team didn't already have Prospal, Christensen and Kennedy, this would make more sense. As it is, I think it's a bad move.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
too much rationalizing here. bottom line, we dont need him and he wont help us.

the guy is shot. he skates in mud. he looked positively awful last year and that was playing on a team full of talent. we're um...... different.

That's hysterical.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Here's all you need to know: If a Stanley Cup contender (Pittsburgh) is desperate for wingers, why would they let this guy go?

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 11:29 AM
FOXHOUND*

So is the title of this thread "let's just find something to ***** about?"

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Trade is comin'... Fedotenko had 2 fewer points than Drury. LOL!
So did most of us.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 12:00 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

no thanks

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

We have no use for Feds...

Loffen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
But this blows for the lower profile prospects. If you're a Dane Byers or a Dale Weise, you had to do a lot in a little bit of time to make the team. And that little just got smaller.
Byers. Gimme a break with Dane Byers already. What will this be, his 5th NYR camp, and he's never been able to make an impression despite some shockingly poor competition for the spot. If you can't outwork the has-beens, the reclamation projects with commitment issues and the flat out garbage, Hartford is exactly where you belong.

Hey, maybe Weiss and Byers actually learn something from a plumber who's carved out a damn nice career for himself. Perhaps it's worth a spot in camp if Torts thinks he's got something to offer these prospects.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 05:43 AM
msv957

Quote:

This isn't camp entitlement because a prospect is recent draft pick... This is about competition and having the best players make the team. If prospects such as Weise or Byers are "bummed" about having their ice time severely cut by better hockey players at this stage in their career than I question these prospects mental ability to make it in the NHL.

Weise, Byers, Stepan, Grachev must show they are the best players to make the team out of camp over players such as Feds, Kennedy, White and etc..

If these prospects can't make the team this year, it would be a great learning experience on what it takes to make the NHL. I would think they will be even hungrier during the season to be the next player called up from the AHL and etc....

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 12:08 PM
teddygmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
If they can some how some way turn Avery, Christiensen, Boyle into a C for Gaborik then sure, otherwise no need for Fedotenko to even be around
Anything to get rid of Avery would be good, imo (and I suspect Torts agrees with me.)

teddygmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 12:41 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddygmr View Post
Anything to get rid of Avery would be good, imo (and I suspect Torts agrees with me.)
Every thread has one. I'm thinking Tortorella is just a little bit more concerned about winning than you are. I'd wager he is far more interested in getting the best out of the players available to him than making boneheaded decisions based on personal feelings. I certainly hope "getting rid" of people isn't his top priority. I hope it's more about squeezing every bit out of the little talent the team has.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote