HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Initial thoughts: do you approve of the Kovalchuk deal?

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the "Kovy situation"?
I approve in all respects 74 97.37%
I disapprove and will explain below. 2 2.63%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-07-2010, 10:21 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

vCash: 500
Times have changed. The Post-lockout Era is in full force. No longer are there the Scott Stevens, Daneykos, and Niedermayers(both good and glider) of the world around anymore. With the rule changes and all, the old adage "The Best Defense is a Good offense" is more apropo to today's game than at any other time in NHL History.

Everywhere a Devils fan would look, they would see Crosby/Malkin on one side and Ovechkin/Semin on the other while we would have JUST Zach Parise. Sure, Marty is our Franchise but his time is almost at an end and Zach is practically flying solo in this one.

So in Comes Kovalchuk. This man who, to use a Basketball adage, is a "one-man fastbreak" across the ice whenever he gets the puck. Though it would behoove him and his team(as well us some of us fans) to do that in moderation, it is nonetheless something new, and exciting.

I'll admit when we traded for Kovy out of nowhere, I was absolutely floored by the news. The Devils have always shrugged their shoulders and let the other teams get their "stars", while we win our games and here we have them actually Trading for one of the most dynamic scorers in NHL History. But at the same time, I knew that it was most likely just "a rental" at the time and was resigned to that fact which also made me quite upset(as many others were) at Jacque Lemaire's antics as Coach because he had, IMO, a doctorate in Defense but a High-School Diploma in Offense. And when we got knocked out by those damn Flyers, I sadly thought that would be the last time we see Kovy in a Devils uni and I was prepared to accept that fact.

But after what is known to me as "The Debacle"(and I don't think I need to remind anyone what that was since we lived it), we ended up with a Potential Future HOF'er on this team for the rest of his career.

HERE...with the NJ Devils.

HERE....with a team that everyone outside of Devils-nation see as Boring.

HERE...where he will make his mark and create a lasting Legacy in the Red and Black just as Stevens has, Daneyko has, and Marty has and will continue to do so for as long as he can.

I've been fortunate to bear witness to all 3 Cup Victories in my lifetime but never have I felt so giddy and so Ecstatic as I do right now. What will happen in the future with Kovy, who knows? But I definitely know this : it is a much, much brighter future than it usually would be had he not been re-signed.

my god.....WE...HAZ....KOVALCHUK!!

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 11:47 PM
DownFromNJ

Whomever said this was the best move in the organization's history... Scott Stevens?

I think that Kovalchuk's contract will definitely pay off in the near and medium terms. He is 27 years old, so for most of the next decade we will enjoy having one of the best players in the NHL in their prime on the team.

But, I think its worth noting that the Kovalchuk contract carries with it a ton of risk. 15 years is a long time. Kovalchuk could injure his knee tomorrow and become a 20 goal scorer for the next decade. He could get old quickly. Or he could score 500+ goals in a Devils uniform.

The risk in the medium to long term is considerable. Mitigating the risk, however, should be cap inflation. A 6.66 million dollar cap hit isn't too bad now, and probably will be (assuming the league continues to grow healthily) pretty reasonable in 2020, even if he's no longer a true star.

Parise, Zajac and Kovalchuk make the Devil's post-Brodeur future look really bright. It doesn't take a whole lot to build a team around three players that good.

DownFromNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 11:52 PM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

53-1...

I LOL'ed.

PacManNJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 11:58 PM
kiwidevil

This is our compensation for having to pick so late in the 1st round for so many years.

kiwidevil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 12:38 AM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

^ definitely, kiwi. After all the other teams got to rub it in our faces how they have got "superstars" on their team while we don't....Well EAT IT NOW, Losers!

EDIT : pacmanhost, Great Title for your Avatar : 15-year-rental.

Old
09-08-2010, 12:44 AM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

We got the best UFA ever for a smaller cap hit than Drury's.

Yeah, I like this deal just fine.

MasterofGrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 01:09 AM
Crimson Devil*

I disagree entirely.

He's worthless. He's lazy. He's good for nothing. He's a waste of money. He's a lemon. He has a disgusting girl. I hate everything about him.

Wait, I just described the Comrie signing to a teet. My bad.

LOVE the signing. I think he gives this team something we've never had before. He's five billion lightyears more exciting than Mogilny ever was, so who in their right minds would be against this deal?

Crimson Devil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 01:10 AM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
EDIT : pacmanhost, Great Title for your Avatar : 15-year-rental.
Gracias.

PacManNJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 01:47 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
http://communities.canada.com/montre...kovalchuk.aspx

"For sure the price is high," Tremblay told me, "but I like him. He's a good person, he's a good kid. He's like Zach Parise. And that's why Lou wants to sign him . . . he's a good kid. If he would have been a bad person, Lou wouldn't even have attempted to sign him. He's easy to coach . . . the first one on the ice, he likes to work in practice . .. he'll never say a word. It's fun to coach people like that."

He always wanted to learn, Atlanta is just a sub standard organization to this point. It wouldn't surprise me to see his overall game improve in the next year to the point he is average to above average defensively.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 02:02 AM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
http://communities.canada.com/montre...kovalchuk.aspx

"For sure the price is high," Tremblay told me, "but I like him. He's a good person, he's a good kid. He's like Zach Parise. And that's why Lou wants to sign him . . . he's a good kid. If he would have been a bad person, Lou wouldn't even have attempted to sign him. He's easy to coach . . . the first one on the ice, he likes to work in practice . .. he'll never say a word. It's fun to coach people like that."

He always wanted to learn, Atlanta is just a sub standard organization to this point. It wouldn't surprise me to see his overall game improve in the next year to the point he is average to above average defensively.
Whoa! He actually said that?

Correction....what I meant to ask is :

Whoa! Mario Tremblay is still employed?

Old
09-08-2010, 06:27 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Kovalchuk will never be a Selke calibre defensive forward. But if he applies his considerable talent to improving his defensive game, he can become a passable two-way forward. It has been done before.

Stevens was a high scoring defenceman before he came here, the Devils told him to focus more on defence, and that decision turned him into the best defensive defenceman of his generation. Yzerman was all offence in his younger days, but he gave up some of his stats to focus on defence too, and he became one of the premiere two-way forwards of his generation. Maybe we'll see something similar with Kovy.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 08:19 AM
Mr Bojanglez

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDEVIL View Post
I think this was the best organizational move in its history. Kovy brings everything we need. A reason for others to come, selling seats, a very good chance when trailing in a game, especially playoffs. And might we add, at a mere 6.66 cap hit, folks it may be the highest on the team, but by far well worth it. No one can dog Lou on this. The numbers are right, the only bad thing this brought upon us, is the forgotten horrendousness of other contracts. Now we have to really unload them!

p.s. would not be surprised if we see Vanderbeeks name in the running one day for Mount Puckmore. I like what we see so far, as long as he can secure real solid GM beyond Lou Lams this organization will have a serious history and future.
i think some of this is a bit much. I mean, Scott Stevens at his time was a pretty big start. I can't quite think of the comparison, but Stevens is going down in the Hall of Fame. Time will tell on Kovy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownFromNJ View Post
Whomever said this was the best move in the organization's history... Scott Stevens?

I think that Kovalchuk's contract will definitely pay off in the near and medium terms. He is 27 years old, so for most of the next decade we will enjoy having one of the best players in the NHL in their prime on the team.

But, I think its worth noting that the Kovalchuk contract carries with it a ton of risk. 15 years is a long time. Kovalchuk could injure his knee tomorrow and become a 20 goal scorer for the next decade. He could get old quickly. Or he could score 500+ goals in a Devils uniform.

The risk in the medium to long term is considerable. Mitigating the risk, however, should be cap inflation. A 6.66 million dollar cap hit isn't too bad now, and probably will be (assuming the league continues to grow healthily) pretty reasonable in 2020, even if he's no longer a true star.

Parise, Zajac and Kovalchuk make the Devil's post-Brodeur future look really bright. It doesn't take a whole lot to build a team around three players that good.
yep yep... on Stevens. Also, the contract will be good for 10 years. And then we have to be hopeful that he keeps his play together for the last 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Kovalchuk will never be a Selke calibre defensive forward. But if he applies his considerable talent to improving his defensive game, he can become a passable two-way forward. It has been done before.
I want him to be the next Hossa... just less injuries. 40 goals, 80-90ish points... good 2-way play. That's my hope. A lot to ask for, but he's got the skill, speed, strength and will for it. Its a question if he can put it together in his head.

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 08:41 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

I approve because of the cap hit at 6.6. However, I won't lie, I didn't think he blended well with the team. And it's Kovy who has to fit in, not the other way around. Yes, he played hard and was one of the few players to show emotion during a lackluster playoff series. He is very talented but I thought he would have been more effective. Now, I also understand he only was with the team for a month and half. But for all the trouble Lou went through to sign him to contract I only hope he doesn't full-fill, I hope he's worth it in helping this team to championship and at the gate. But, as a fan, I'm more interested in a championship. Good to luck Kovy!

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 08:42 AM
Semak
Here we go again.

I didn't vote, not sure how I feel about it. It's long, very long, but the cap hit is not bad, for now. Like most here, I never thought he would be a Devil via trade and definitely not as UFA signing. Also, most agree that NJ would never have a chance to sign him unless they had traded for him, but the way I see it is that Lou would never try to resign him had he had never seen him be part of the team first. Talent and dazzling play is all well in good, but if the godfather doesn't approve, I don't think JVK has that much pull even if he does own the team.

He is a talent that Devils would never have a chance to draft, I won't lie just for that I'm excited to see him back. I also want to see what he has to offer over the course of a whole season. How he meshes with a team that hopefully is not out looking to mutiny against their coach.

Besides his talents what I do know is he never had a team or an organization like this in ATL, he does work his butt off and everyone seems to like him. Can't ask for more from a "superstar" player. He could possibly have a rebirth as a dynamic, solid all around player. Plus, I do love the feistiness though. His whole thing with Crosby and Avery is great, you know he is not a little bitÁh when it comes to step it up against an opponent on the ice. Plus, his friendship with Ovie should make for a nice, friendly rivalry.

Semak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 08:55 AM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

Hahaha. A Flyers fan disapproves of the deal.

Das Uber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 09:03 AM
Mr Bojanglez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semak View Post
I didn't vote, not sure how I feel about it. It's long, very long, but the cap hit is not bad, for now. Like most here, I never thought he would be a Devil via trade and definitely not as UFA signing. Also, most agree that NJ would never have a chance to sign him unless they had traded for him, but the way I see it is that Lou would never try to resign him had he had never seen him be part of the team first. Talent and dazzling play is all well in good, but if the godfather doesn't approve, I don't think JVK has that much pull even if he does own the team.

He is a talent that Devils would never have a chance to draft , I won't lie just for that I'm excited to see him back. I also want to see what he has to offer over the course of a whole season. How he meshes with a team that hopefully is not out looking to mutiny against their coach.

Besides his talents what I do know is he never had a team or an organization like this in ATL, he does work his butt off and everyone seems to like him. Can't ask for more from a "superstar" player. He could possibly have a rebirth as a dynamic, solid all around player. Plus, I do love the feistiness though. His whole thing with Crosby and Avery is great, you know he is not a little bitÁh when it comes to step it up against an opponent on the ice. Plus, his friendship with Ovie should make for a nice, friendly rivalry.
that's a big sticking point. When have we ever had a number 1 overall draft pick? We had Neids, Guerin, Shanny, Muller and Marty... they were first round. Shanny was pretty close, going at 2nd overall to Turgeon. Same for Muller at 2nd to Lemieux.

Alright, I did research. The Colorado Rockies were lucky enough to get Rob Ramage with the first overall pick in 1979. 30 years ago. Finally we get another 1st overall pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omair Taher View Post
Hahaha. A Flyers fan disapproves of the deal.
Booby?

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote