HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sather: Goal is a long run of success

Old
08-30-2010, 03:39 PM
NikC

vCash: 500
Sather: Goal is a long run of success

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
This intense focus on young talent has helped the Rangers build a strong foundation for the present and future with current Blueshirts goaltender Henrik Lundqvist, defensemen Marc Staal, Matt Gilroy and Michael Del Zotto, and forwards Ryan Callahan, Brandon Dubinsky and Artem Anisimov all earning NHL rookie roster spots on the basis of strong showings at camp.

Defenseman Ryan McDonagh, a 2007 first-rounder, was outstanding at the Rangers' Development Camp for prospects and -- in the eyes of Blueshirts President and General Manager Glen Sather -- has a real chance to start his first pro season in the NHL.
“Our goal has always been to try and develop our own players to build a core group of players that are going to grow up together,” said team President and General Manager Glen Sather. “It takes time to develop players, and it takes time for them to develop into National Hockey League players. But there are some kids that are really starting to come in the right direction now.”
http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm...id=DL|NYR|home

Last edited by nyr2k2: 08-30-2010 at 09:47 PM.
NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Where's the link to Sather's quotes?

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 03:45 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
tsk tsk tsk

should have just posted a link to the site where this was originally done.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 03:46 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Do not quote entire articles. Post a link to your source or this gets locked.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 03:47 PM
haveandare

Cue the "this is garbage, we're going to suck forever" posts....

Personally, I think we have some very, very promising young guys. Grachev, Stepan, Kreider and McD alone are enough to get excited about. Factor in Anisimov, MDZ, MZA and the possibility of Pashnin and/or McIlrath elevating their games and thats a very good young core.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 03:47 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

If you didn't write all of this yourself, this is plagiarism.

Edit: Found it. It's a Cerny article:

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=534796

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 03:51 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalWars View Post
If you didn't write all of this yourself, this is plagiarism.

Edit: Found it. It's a Cerny article:

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=534796
I guess the OP forgot to mention this article is over a month old too.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 03:54 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Real groundbreaking stuff here. I look forward to part II in the "Let's kiss Sather's ass for things he hasn't done yet" series.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 03:58 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Do not quote entire articles. Post a link to your source or this gets locked.
http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm...id=DL|NYR|home

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 04:08 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Real groundbreaking stuff here. I look forward to part II in the "Let's kiss Sather's ass for things he hasn't done yet" series.
What has Sather not done? The guys are on the team now. Its their turn to "do it" by playing well.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 04:12 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

this article is hillarious. every gm says the same things about their players. in fact, this article could have been written a few years ago with names like cally, dubi, korpikoski, prucha, immonen, dawes, hossa, tyutin, girardi, staal, sauer, pock, potter, lampman, liffiton, zaba and vally. look how many of them worked out.

i'll say again what ive said before, we have a decent group of players in the pipeline but we still lack a real true #1 dman or #1 forward.

they're just not there.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 04:25 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
[B][SIZE="3"]“Our goal has always been to try and develop our own players to build a core group of players that are going to grow up together,” said team President and General Manager Glen Sather. “It takes time to develop players, and it takes time for them to develop into National Hockey League players. But there are some kids that are really starting to come in the right direction now.”.
Thats where Slats lost me. I guess he conveniently forgot about the first half of his tenure here?

Keep stirrin that Kool-Aid Glen!

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 04:26 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
What has Sather not done? The guys are on the team now. Its their turn to "do it" by playing well.
LOL, classic. Yup, its the players' fault...Erik Christensen needs to turn into a #1 center because thats where he's penciled in.

So, Sather's job is to just get guys on the team and then it's their job from there? Even though the majority of them are being asked to play far above their inherant talent level?

Just more pie in the sky ********* from people that have convinced themselves that a few mediocre to good prospects are going to rescue this team. The guy at the helm has had 10 years to fix this problem...and counting.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 04:29 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
LOL, classic. Yup, its the players' fault...Erik Christensen needs to turn into a #1 center because thats where he's penciled in.

So, Sather's job is to just get guys on the team and then it's their job from there? Even though the majority of them are being asked to play far above their inherant talent level?

Just more pie in the sky ********* from people that have convinced themselves that a few mediocre to good prospects are going to rescue this team. The guy at the helm has had 10 years to fix this problem...and counting.
Holy crap lol Its the players jobs now lol

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 04:34 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Cue the "this is garbage, we're going to suck forever" posts....

Personally, I think we have some very, very promising young guys. Grachev, Stepan, Kreider and McD alone are enough to get excited about. Factor in Anisimov, MDZ, MZA and the possibility of Pashnin and/or McIlrath elevating their games and thats a very good young core.

Couldnt agree more. My biggest worry is that somewhere down the line we abandon this outh movement and continue the old way by signing old expensive free agents.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 04:39 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
this article is hillarious. every gm says the same things about their players. in fact, this article could have been written a few years ago with names like cally, dubi, korpikoski, prucha, immonen, dawes, hossa, tyutin, girardi, staal, sauer, pock, potter, lampman, liffiton, zaba and vally. look how many of them worked out.

i'll say again what ive said before, we have a decent group of players in the pipeline but we still lack a real true #1 dman or #1 forward.

they're just not there.
That is complete revisionist history. Independent scouts were never even close to as high on that group as compared to our current crop. Take off the anti-ranger glasses (sans Lisin) for once and look around.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 04:44 PM
TomLaidlaw

Wonderful fluff piece from MSG's top shill.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 04:56 PM
Speedtrials

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
That is complete revisionist history. Independent scouts were never even close to as high on that group as compared to our current crop. Take off the anti-ranger glasses (sans Lisin) for once and look around.
I remember Lundmarc, Brendl, and Malhotra being considered high level prospects as well though. With the NHL I have learned not to get too optimistic about prospects. They really are just kids when drafted, and outside of that top pick there aren't many guarantees.

I will say though, Sather has done a nice job though of creating a pipeline of prospects. Unlike Smith where we hedged our bets on just a few prospects making it, Sather has kept most of his picks. With all of those picks it is nice to see that these kids are competing against each other for spots. In the past it felt some of them assumed they would simply get a spot because they were a high draft choice.

Speedtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 05:03 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
i beg to differ.

today many of those names seem quite ordinary, but 4 years ago things were quite different. many of those guys were thought to be pretty solid prospects.

while you call me revisionist, i call you mr. hindsite 20/20.

i could add quite a few other names to that list but it doesnt matter. we will continue to over hype our marginal propects.

keep sipping the corporate koolaide.

Old
08-30-2010, 05:17 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
i beg to differ.

today many of those names seem quite ordinary, but 4 years ago things were quite different. many of those guys were thought to be pretty solid prospects.

while you call me revisionist, i call you mr. hindsite 20/20.

i could add quite a few other names to that list but it doesnt matter. we will continue to over hype our marginal propects.

keep sipping the corporate koolaide.
Find me an article with independent scouts calling that old crop elite, as this current group has been labeled.

And I think one who is "sipping the corporate koolaide" has made a better choice than one who sips a cup of their own tears, which of course is the drink of choice for all you constant pessimists.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 05:34 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Find me an article with independent scouts calling that old crop elite, as this current group has been labeled.

And I think one who is "sipping the corporate koolaide" has made a better choice than one who sips a cup of their own tears, which of course is the drink of choice for all you constant pessimists.
i take mine with extra cream no sugar.

im not so sure our current crop should be labeled "elite" though.

thats my point.

Old
08-30-2010, 05:41 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:

Who labeled this group as elite, exactly? Other than the Rangers and their propoganda-writing company men at MSG.com, that is.

When this fantastic group of prospects produces one legitimate first-line forward, not to mention a true #1 defenseman, then they'll have earned such high praise.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 06:44 PM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:

Your supposed to use your draft picks and turn them into promising PROSPECTS. Quite frankly, its hard NOT TO DO. Seriously, make me GM and I have Cam Fowler, Jordan Schroeder, etc. Should I deserve praise. No, because they haven't produced crap.

What your not supposed to do is be responsible for the 3 worst signing in NHL history. Thats hard TO DO. Our man proved its not impossible.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 07:09 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
This is the funniest thing I've read all summer. Are you sure this isn't from The Onion?

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 07:33 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Like who? I see these types of comments all the time complaining about irrationally hopeful people yet I rarely see anyon e make guarantees that these prospects guaranteed will rescue the team.

I have seen a TON of people say they are very hopeful due to these prospects COMBINED with Dubs, MDZ, Artie, Hank, Gabs, Cally, Girardi and the upcoming freeing of millions on the cap. And this is a very very logical hope to have.

To the few who are irrationally hopeful and feel that "Kreider will be elite, grachev will be a perenial 65+ pt guy, MDZ will compete with Green for top D scoring every year, etc" Yes your bitter comment rings true but I just don't see enough irrationally hopeful people on these boards to justify you alluding to "those who have convinced themselves..."

I mean who EXACTLY are you alluding to?

Yes Sather has had 10 years and counting he sucks. We've been through this on two threads that got locked. Some of us feel he's set the team up well and should get a second chance.

Others feel He's set the team up but is likely to screw it up again and should be fired immediately.

Others feel he's garbage and should be fired immediately.

It's been covered. This article shows how the organization feels about certain up and coming prospects. You're free to make your own judgements on them but it's always nice to know how the organization evaluated their prospects. Of course we should all keep in mind the source and that they might embellish but obviously with guys like Grachev and Kreider we've all seen and read from multiple sources not just the Rangers about why they have a chance to be special.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote