HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Hradek: Lombardi's intense questioning turned off Kovalchuk

Old
09-12-2010, 06:05 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I'd like this thread to die as much as anyone, but there was an interesting quote from Lombardi today:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Matth...Fest/125/30125

It's tough to gauge exactly what Lombardi is saying here, but I see two possibilities. The first is that he's referring only to money and term (i.e. "we love everything that he brings, but didn't love the number of dollars and years that it would've taken to get him"). The second possibility is that he's referring to traits of Ilya, himself, that weren't so attractive or, simply, that he isn't strong in some of the areas that Lombardi would like to have (ex. leadership, two-way play, etc.). If it's the latter, it might indicate that Lombardi, too, was "turned off" at some point (if he was even ever "turned on"). I wouldn't advise running off and believing that, since it's very possible that he was referring only to contract, but it's still an interesting quote, nonetheless.
Translation: We only offered so much because otherwise we figured the expediture would take too much away in other areas of the team.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 07:33 PM
danaluvsthekings

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post
I can't figure out why Kovy didn't take the 3 or 5 year deal in Atlanta, and he still could have signed with NJ (or LA)in a three years for 12 years for 8m per!!!
Because as an athlete you're going to want to take as much as you can as soon as possible.

Now, obviously it turns out the long term offer from Atlanta was probably the best one financially. Kovalchuk didn't think that was going to be the case when he turned it down.

If Kovalchuk did as you said and signed in Atlanta on the short term, he would have been passing on the long term security. What happens if he gets injured or somehow has a down 3 years on that contract? Then that long term deal for $8 mil per that you speculate about from another team might not have been there.

Plus there's the new CBA to worry about. Kovalchuk would want his guaranteed contract now before any new CBA is negotiated that might limit term lengths or decrease the maximum salary or have a lower salary cap.

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 08:18 PM
heartandsoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
Well Dean Lombardi has always known to be pretty conservative with how he spends his dollars. Sometimes too conservative. You have an opportunity to put a 50 goal scorer beside your franchise center I really don't see why you have to be so careful about it.
You get careful because of the guy's reputation for being a soft play no defense playoff choker. If Sidney Crosby was there, i doubt the questions would have been the same

heartandsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 08:27 PM
None Shall Pass
Got Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartandsoul View Post
playoff choker.
PPG in 5 games with Devils?

None Shall Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 08:59 AM
MauDevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by None Shall Pass View Post
PPG in 5 games with Devils?
Apparently 9 games played and no cup = playoff choker.

MauDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 11:42 AM
RAZZIE King
König von Schaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
Dab is a little dyslexic. I think he meant backcheck.
I was in a bit of a rush when I posted that one...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 01:21 PM
heartandsoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauDevils View Post
Apparently 9 games played and no cup = playoff choker.
Devils were heavily favored last year vs Flyers in the playoffs and no one showed up to play....including him. Maybe technically its not a choke, but he was invisible in the important games, his favored team was embarrassed.

Also, he's been in the league a while with Atlanta and what have they ever done?

heartandsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 01:29 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Devils were heavily favored last year vs Flyers in the playoffs and no one showed up to play....including him. Maybe technically its not a choke, but he was invisible in the important games, his favored team was embarrassed.

Also, he's been in the league a while with Atlanta and what have they ever done?
they were absolutely not heavily favored against the flyers. they were 1-5 against them in the regular season. it was just another terrible match up in the first round for the devils and going into it i think it was an even series

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
I'm not sure who thought they were heavily favored, but I think most Devils fans conceded it was a pretty tough matchup. Philly beat us 5 out of 6 during the season series.

Kovalchuk played ok, he wasn't great by any stretch of the imagination. Guys like Langenbrunner, Zajac, and Elias were much more invisible but everybody is quick to blame Kovalchuk for the early exit.

Quote:
It's tough when you're one of the first picks for an expansion team, especially one that didn't have the best management. I imagine Rick Nash has suffered through a similar fate in Columbus thus far. Pretty sure most of us would take Nash on our teams in a heartbeat.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 01:47 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
again, go look at the Thrashers D corps from the year they made the playoffs with Kovalchuk. it was putrid.

and in no way whatsoever were the devils heavily favored against philly.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:

No, they weren't. The Flyers won the regular series 5 games to 1. Why would their luck all of a sudden change? Just because they had a better record, doesn't mean they're better in the matchup.

And he was one of the few players that showed up. Him, Brodeur... Zubrus played well. Guys like Elias, Clarkson, Parise, Langenbrunner, Greene... those are the guys that did not show up.

Your post could not be anymore wrong.

EDIT I see everyone else beat me to it.

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 02:50 PM
PRMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Ryan Smyth has a "winning track record" because he has a Canadian last name, a mullet, and some missing teeth - those are attributes that make up for a lack of any playoff success other than one year and a bloated salary. Ryan Smyth looks like the way a winner is supposed to look, which is just as good as being one.
Ryan Smyth has 5 golds and a silver in international competition, as well as being Canada's favorite player all-time to put on their team. He also got to the finals with Edmonton just a few seasons ago.

PRMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 03:06 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Devil View Post
Ah.

Us Devil fans are the only people guilty of committing homer comments. Gotcha.

We're excited because for the first time in probably forever, Lou had an amazing offseason. Let us have our shine.

Great video. People really don't know the guy when they're saying he's so selfish.
Note that I said "certain" posters, not the entire fanbase here on HF. I'm in no way saying you are one of them, but this is the knee-jerk "defend Jersey at all costs" type of post I'm speaking about.

Reading is fun; actually comprehending what is being said makes it better.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 03:41 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Not a big DL fan - but if you're a player asking for a team to commit $100M to you over 15 years - shouldn't you be expecting some tough questions? Especially when your team hasn't had a good track record?

And while I 100% agree that hockey is a team sport and IK was handcuffed by some brutal organizational issues - he was still the best player on the team that never delivered. When you're the best player - the standards a little different - especially if you're talking about $100,000,000.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 03:53 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

I would think Dean asked him (among other things) about his off-season conditioning, and whether he was willing to be in LA working out with the team some of the time.

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRMan View Post
Ryan Smyth has 5 golds and a silver in international competition,
Most of which are at the 2nd tier tournament that is the WCs (yeah, he also won an Olympic gold as a passenger on a loaded team). Why do these count all of a sudden? European players are never given credit as "winners" for winning at the WCs.

Quote:
as well as being Canada's favorite player all-time to put on their team.
Yeah, because he was consistently available due to either missing the playoffs or getting bounced in the 1st round. How ridiculous would it sound in a decade is someone justified Kovalchuk being a winner by saying:

"Ilya Kovalchuk has 5 golds and a silver in international competition, as well as being Russia's favorite player all-time to put on their team"

Quote:
He also got to the finals with Edmonton just a few seasons ago.
Does getting to the finals and losing make a player a "winner"?

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote