HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Hradek: Lombardi's intense questioning turned off Kovalchuk

Old
09-07-2010, 08:03 PM
mooseOAK*

vCash: 500
Dammit Ilya, is it Wilma or is it Betty!

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheReign View Post
There's more to building a team than what the guy is bringing on the stat sheet. That's the side of the game we don't get to see and anyone that has played competitive sports knows what happens off the ice and between members of the team can be just as important as what happens on the ice. Plus, if the team is going to make a 15 year, 80 million dollar commitment to somebody, they usually want to make sure they know exactly what they're getting.
Very true. Lombardi would be neglecting his duties if he didn't conduct a meaningful interview process.

Likewise, human interaction is a funny thing. Sometimes people click better than others. To rip Kovy for "reportedly" being turned off by the interview (as has been done elsewhere in this thread) is a baseless cheapshot.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Blikian29

Send a message via AIM to Blikian29
I believe Lombardi did ask Kovy some tough questions. If that made Kovy feel uncomfortable, then fine. I'm not his judge. But I think this has more to do with the players mindset than the GM.

Willie Mitchell came out of his talks with the Kings feeling just ****ing peachy. He's said on numerous occasions, "I got a good vibe, a good feeling".

To each his own.

Blikian29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Very true. Lombardi would be neglecting his duties if he didn't conduct a meaningful interview process.

Likewise, human interaction is a funny thing. Sometimes people click better than others. To rip Kovy for "reportedly" being turned off by the interview (as has been done elsewhere in this thread) is a baseless cheapshot.
Well said.

Man, so much trolling in this thread.

Someone already mentioned it, but as far as negotiations and the human element, you have to look at it from this perspective: the Devils were dealing with a player that they had time to examine (as a teammate, friend, and person), while the Kings and DL had to perform their due diligence in getting to know their potential 80 million dollar investment. I don't see the big deal here.

Is DL too conservative? For my liking, certainly. And he has a rep as a bit of a hardball negotiator and potentially kind of a *****. But this whole thread is really making a mountain over a molehill.

Edit: I guess what I'm saying is that it's a bit petty to rip either DL or Kovalchuk over this 'report.'

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Further evidence that Lombardi sucks at negotiating and is probably the number one reason why LA fails to land big name free agents.

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 08:15 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 1250
How did Kovalchuk become public enemy #1?
He's an entertaining player that makes the NHL a better league.

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 08:16 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
Well said.

Man, so much trolling in this thread.

Someone already mentioned it, but as far as negotiations and the human element, you have to look at it from this perspective: the Devils were dealing with a player that they had time to examine (as a teammate, friend, and person), while the Kings and DL had to perform their due diligence in getting to know their potential 80 million dollar investment. I don't see the big deal here.

Is DL too conservative? For my liking, certainly. And he has a rep as a bit of a hardball negotiator and potentially kind of a *****. But this whole thread is really making a mountain over a molehill.

Edit: I guess what I'm saying is that it's a bit petty to rip either DL or Kovalchuk over this 'report.'
This sums up this whole situation perfectly.

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 08:18 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
I don't think he's public enemy #1. People just got tired of the whole fiasco of the previous two months. All will be forgotten once he gets on the ice

Old
09-07-2010, 08:19 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
Duh, he had the gall to actually use the mechanisms available to him as an unrestricted free agent to slowly and carefully choose who he wanted to sign with. This displeased the HFBoards masses who believe that a player should be required to sign the first acceptable deal that is put in front of them, since the purpose of free agency is to provide entertainment for the fans in the first week of July.

Epsilon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Not everyone gets turned off by Lombardi's meetings:

Quote:
So everyone is recruiting you, so to speak, and trying to put a good spin on their organization. But sometimes you just get that feeling, that they’re genuine and that they really think you can help their hockey club out a lot, and that they like the things that you can do as a player. I really got that feeling from Dean and the coaching staff. I felt that they respected my game.
Quote:
In my meeting down there, I felt like they really respected what I do, the little things that I do. Sometimes those aren’t things that show up on the score sheet, but I like to think that the things I do are things that my peers, my teammates, respect. I felt that the coaching staff and Dean really respected that.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 08:23 PM
NJDEVIL

all ima say is, Grossmans first words when this was announced was ALL CREDIT GOES TO LOU! He did a great job negotiating, said all the right things at the right time.....something about tricks from providence lol

NJDEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 08:25 PM
HoliksGhost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post
I don't know if it is that. Lombardi traded for Ryan Smyth who is making 6 million a season. He didn't mind handing out a big contract to a guy like Handzus either.

It just looks like he is targeting a certain type of player for his squad, and isn't interested in overpaying for less dimensional types.
So he "low balled" him at $80M huh ?

HoliksGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 08:29 PM
Ilya Zubrus*

Send a message via AIM to Ilya Zubrus* Send a message via MSN to Ilya Zubrus* Send a message via Yahoo to Ilya Zubrus* Send a message via Skype™ to Ilya Zubrus*
Kovy cared about winning and the money.

He got both when he went to NJ instead of the Kings.

Ilya Zubrus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 08:30 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

I'm sure this sounds like sour grapes but god forbid someone asks tough questions when they're offering you 80 million bucks. And I'm sure the extra 20 million on a frontloaded contract had nothing to do with it either.

Anyway, Lombardi definitely isn't the most likeable guy. He probably wouldn't be able to sell a glass of water to someone dying of thirst.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

If was going to spend 80 million and commit 10-15 years to a player (and essentially my career) on one player im fairly certain id be asking some tough questions as well.
An IK signing defines that franchise and will influence everyone in the dressing room dramatically for years.
After what they've managed to build, i think its worth some tough questions and if either side doesnt like what its hearing then they were questions worth asking and the right decision was made.

If this is true, and of that i have no idea.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 08:41 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya Zubrus View Post
Kovy cared about winning and the money.

He got both when he went to NJ instead of the Kings.
I'm going to assume that you meant a winning tradition. Most people would tell you that Kovy would of had a very good chance of winning with the Kings

Old
09-07-2010, 08:43 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

This is interesting, because now Kovalchuk is going to have to deal with even more intense questions with all the shenanigans he and his agent and Lou pulled all summer. You reap what you sow.

But he didn't go to LA because of "intense questioning?" In other words, he was being a flake, and his feelings were hurt because a prospective employer was covering his ass when committing to someone for 15 years.

Right.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Bank Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoliksGhost View Post
So he "low balled" him at $80M huh ?
5.3 million a season is pretty low for a player like Kovalchuk I would say.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 08:48 PM
HoliksGhost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post
5.3 million a season is pretty low for a player like Kovalchuk I would say.
I wasn't talking Cap hit and neither were you.

$80M isn't chump change no matter how you slice it.

HoliksGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Zal

This article is retarded. There's no way to gauge what Lombardi was asking, let alone what Kovalchuk found uncormtable in the process.

I'm certainly happy the OP found a way to rile the HF following, however. Kudos to you!!

Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 102
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Who cares, if that is what stopped him from coming to LA, then all you can do is shrug and go find another scorer for the club. Onward.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 09:08 PM
hockeydadx2*

In a few years, the Kings will realize that they are better off without him.

hockeydadx2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Bank Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoliksGhost View Post
I wasn't talking Cap hit and neither were you.

$80M isn't chump change no matter how you slice it.
I was talking cap hit as that is the only number that matters. Lombardi's offer looks like he was making an effort to get Kovalchuk to leave money on the table.

$5.3 looks like something of a soft pitch for a guy that has scored 40+ goals in each of the last six seasons.

I'm not sure what you are riled up about. I never said Lou overpaid for Kovalchuk, just that Lombardi was definitely not interested in doing so.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 09:14 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Not that big of a surprise, is it? Lombardi is fairly well known for having a grating, borderline obnoxious personality. Some free agents clearly couldn't care less. Others, like Kovalchuk, will evidently be dissuaded by the experience.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 09:34 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
This doesn't really help Kovalchuk's image of being a egotistical out of reality piece of garbage. "So I turned down the 80 million because my prospective employer felt he could ask me several questions before giving me so much money. Doesn't he know I'm Kovalchuk?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by headsigh View Post
Kovy is a frail ego, you can't just batter him into mental submission like that, Dean!
I think these two posts wrap things up, lets close this thread up boys.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote