HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Hradek: Lombardi's intense questioning turned off Kovalchuk

Old
09-08-2010, 08:26 AM
Chazz Reinhold

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinVanBuren View Post
Greene will be 28 in 7 weeks.Right, but you originally said that Hickey, Moller, Parse and Bernier haven't done anything. But then you include Zharkov, Corrente, and Urbom as being worthy of resigning.
So him being 28 and Parse being 26 makes that much of a difference? Parse just played his FIRST season in the NHL at the age of 25. He's not young.

I included Devils' players not yet worthy of re-signing because you included Kings' players not yet worthy of re-signing.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 08:30 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyToHall View Post
If I were Kovy I would do the same thing, someone who is hesitant in my services after I've been proving by scoring 40+ goals for 10 straight seasons is enough of a resume.
How many of those 40+ goals were scored in the playoffs?

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 08:31 AM
MartinVanBuren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
So him being 28 and Parse being 26 makes that much of a difference? Parse just played his FIRST season in the NHL at the age of 25. He's not young.
That's actually a benefit for Parse. Greene is a known commodity, in that he's known to not be very good. He won't need a big contract. Parse could still earn big bucks in the coming years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
I included Devils' players not yet worthy of re-signing because you included Kings' players not yet worthy of re-signing.
But if you already reprimanded me for including players not yet worthy of re-signing, why did you do it?

MartinVanBuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 08:32 AM
putridgasbag
Grand Poohba

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
Well Dean Lombardi has always known to be pretty conservative with how he spends his dollars. Sometimes too conservative. You have an opportunity to put a 50 goal scorer beside your franchise center I really don't see why you have to be so careful about it.
Maybe just maybe the fact that you will be stuck with him for 15 years?

putridgasbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 08:33 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
How many of those 40+ goals were scored in the playoffs?

he was one of the only devils to show up in the playoffs. i dont understand how you can criticize his playoff performance. hard to do it when you have basically 3.5 guys show up from your entire team

Last edited by Majik1987: 09-08-2010 at 09:29 AM. Reason: flaming
Zajacs Bowl Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 08:41 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Whites Eye View Post
again, are people really this clueless? he was one of the only devils to show up in the playoffs. i dont understand how you can criticize his playoff performance. hard to do it when you have basically 3.5 guys show up from your entire team
Winning quiets a lot of skeptics. He can be the best all he wants, the results aren't there. Lombardi has shown that if he's going to commit to you, you gotta have some sort of track record of winning big games, and Kovalchuk doesn't.

Old
09-08-2010, 08:46 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Winning quiets a lot of skeptics. He can be the best all he wants, the results aren't there. Lombardi has shown that if he's going to commit to you, you gotta have some sort of track record of winning big games, and Kovalchuk doesn't.

he was on an awful team the first time he made the playoffs. good look at their defense from that year and get back to me

last year, the devils didnt show up. youre a flyers fan, you really think the devils gave your team their best effort? youre kidding yourself if you believe thats true.

Kovalchuk, Brodeur, Zubrus, and maybe Greene were the only devils to show up/care about that series. thats it.

Old
09-08-2010, 08:48 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Someone please tell me what the **** Lombardi has ever won in his life

Burke's Evil Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 09:07 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
he was on an awful team the first time he made the playoffs. good look at their defense from that year and get back to me

last year, the devils didnt show up. youre a flyers fan, you really think the devils gave your team their best effort? youre kidding yourself if you believe thats true.

Kovalchuk, Brodeur, Zubrus, and maybe Greene were the only devils to show up/care about that series. thats it.
I'm well-aware. I was there. I was surprised as anyone else that the Devils laid an egg against a Flyers team ripe for the picking. My point is though is that Lombardi is looking for people who have some sort of winning track record. It's the only reason he traded for Justin Williams. It's why he was willing to give big dollars to Rob Scuderi. And it's no accident that Ryan Smyth was a target last summer. Kovalchuk does not fit that bill - regardless of the reasons why. He keeps finding himself on teams that underachieve, so why shouldn't there be intense questioning? This kind of contract your career is married to it. And one reason is that Lombardi wanted Kovalchuk to agree to a contract where he wasn't going to have to turn around and pawn off other players to get under the cap and cost them their job, which he would have done with the Devils if he was a real team player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit View Post
Someone please tell me what the **** Lombardi has ever won in his life
Irrelevant. What did Ray Shero, Jay Feaster, and Jim Rutherford ever win before winning Stanley Cups?

Old
09-08-2010, 09:11 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Quote:
I'm well-aware. I was there. I was surprised as anyone else that the Devils laid an egg against a Flyers team ripe for the picking. My point is though is that Lombardi is looking for people who have some sort of winning track record. It's the only reason he traded for Justin Williams. It's why he was willing to give big dollars to Rob Scuderi. And it's no accident that Ryan Smyth was a target last summer. Kovalchuk does not fit that bill - regardless of the reasons why. He keeps finding himself on teams that underachieve, so why shouldn't there be intense questioning? This kind of contract your career is married to it. And one reason is that Lombardi wanted Kovalchuk to agree to a contract where he wasn't going to have to turn around and pawn off other players to get under the cap and cost them their job, which he would have done with the Devils if he was a real team player.

sorry but i dont buy this argument, at all. what contract should he have accepted to be a "team player"? what the hell did you want his cap hit to be, $4 million? come on now, lets get real here.

Old
09-08-2010, 09:12 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Dean Lombardi: Ilya... have you ever seen a grown man naked? Do you like movies about gladiators? Have you ever been in a Turkish prison?

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 09:15 AM
njdevil26

Why are people speculating on whether Alex Urbom is worth re-signing or not? He has one NHL preseason game under his belt...

njdevil26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 09:19 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
Why are people speculating on whether Alex Urbom is worth re-signing or not? He has one NHL preseason game under his belt...
No one is. His name was used to prove a point.

Old
09-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
What has Ryan Smyth won, NHL-wise? Cause Kovy has a bunch international championships too. And let us glaze over that winning signing of Alexei Ponikarovsky. And of course, the great winning tradition of Michal Handzus.

See how its easy to spin an argument in your favor?

And Keeps finding himself on underachieving teams? He's been on 2 teams! What kind of perpetual theme can be generated from 2 instances? IF the Devils make it to the playoffs this year, and get knocked out the first round... you'll have a point. As it stands now, its a little premature to act as if he's a loser. Hossa used to be a "bad" playoff perfomer, Ovechkin hasn't won anything of note. Yzerman was in the league for more than a decade before he won.

Last edited by Mr Bojanglez: 09-08-2010 at 09:33 AM.
Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 09:32 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Sometimes it's not what you ask, but how you ask it.

The word "intense" here could mean a lot of different things. It might mean Lombardi asked a lot of detailed questions. It might mean he asked about personal matters. It might mean he wouldn't let a subject go even after Kovalchuk answered. It might mean he acted like a DA on a murder case. Depending on what Hradek means by "intense" one could easily see how this interview could have gone badly.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 09:35 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojanglez View Post
What has Ryan Smyth won, NHL-wise? Cause Kovy has a bunch international championships too. And let us glaze over that winning signing of Alexei Ponikarovsky. And of course, the great winning tradition of Michal Handzus.

See how its easy to spin an argument in your favor?

And Keeps finding himself on underachieving teams? He's been on 2 teams! What kind of perpetual theme can be generated from 2 instances? IF the Devils make it to the playoffs this year, and get knocked out the first round... you'll have a point. As it stands now, its a little premature to act as if he's a loser. Hossa used to be a bad playoff perfomer, Ovechkin hasn't won anything of note. Yzerman was in the league for more than a decade before he won.
I can't believe that you really need these explained to you. Poni was given ONE year!!!! Not 15. As for Handzus, he was signed to be a bridge player when the team was at it's worst. A little common sense goes a long way

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 09:40 AM
ZadorovNJD*
go away fatso

If Vanderbeek weren't so desperate to have Kovalchuk he would be a King right now, so don't give me this "Lombardi only wants winners" ********.

ZadorovNJD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 09:41 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

ah so its ok if youre not a "winner" if youre giving 1 year or be a "bridge player"

glad we have to quantify these things...

do you see how your argument is like swiss cheese?

Old
09-08-2010, 09:46 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
ah so its ok if youre not a "winner" if youre giving 1 year or be a "bridge player"

glad we have to quantify these things...

do you see how your argument is like swiss cheese?
It's like banging your head into a wall around here. How hard is it to understand that when you are offering a contract as big as the Kings were, that player will be a centerpiece of your franchise for the next 15 (yeah right, more like 10) years. God forbid someone question that player about any potential concerns that you might have about his game. I guess stats are all that matters anymore

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 09:51 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
I can't believe that you really need these explained to you. Poni was given ONE year!!!! Not 15. As for Handzus, he was signed to be a bridge player when the team was at it's worst. A little common sense goes a long way
a conversation with context, goes a long way. I wasn't talking to you. The person my comments were directed at, explains that Lombardi is looking for people with "some sort of winning track record"

I'm not saying they're bad signings... I understand why each was signed. But how can you talk about signing "winning track record" players (THE CONTEXT YOU SKIPPED OVER), when Poni was also signed this year. He does not have a winning track record in the NHL, neither do the other two I mentioned (Smyth has some international cred, as does Kovy) Why don't you read my conversation first, and wipe the sand out of your hoohah, learn a little context about a conversation you're about to enter, before you get all cranky

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 09:54 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Ryan Smyth has a "winning track record" because he has a Canadian last name, a mullet, and some missing teeth - those are attributes that make up for a lack of any playoff success other than one year and a bloated salary. Ryan Smyth looks like the way a winner is supposed to look, which is just as good as being one.

Epsilon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Yog S'loth

This whole thing is beyond ridiculous.

Kovalchuk was "turned off" by the missing $20m he couldn't seem to find in the Kings offer. Do you really think a couple of questions from a GM had any factor whatsoever in his decision? Really?

Yog S'loth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 10:22 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yog S'loth View Post
This whole thing is beyond ridiculous.

Kovalchuk was "turned off" by the missing $20m he couldn't seem to find in the Kings offer. Do you really think a couple of questions from a GM had any factor whatsoever in his decision? Really?
Or to be more specific the missing money that made it impossible for him to make $90M - $100M in the first 10 years, which he isn't worth.

KINGS17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Or to be more specific the missing money that made it impossible for him to make $90M - $100M in the first 10 years, which he isn't worth.

my how you would be singing a different tune had the Devils owner not wanted Kovalchuk so badly...

Old
09-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
my how you would be singing a different tune had the Devils owner not wanted Kovalchuk so badly...
How so? The Kings' offer maxed out at $80 million, so there was no physically possibly way in Lombardi's realm of reality that Kovalchuk was getting $90-100 million over the first 10 years.