HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Hradek: Lombardi's intense questioning turned off Kovalchuk

Old
09-08-2010, 06:57 PM
None Shall Pass
Got Carter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Here's a question:

(ASSUMING) That Lombardi's questioning was the reason Kovy didn't sign in LA, and the largest contract the Kings' offered was 13yrs, 80 mill, AND Lou said all the right things, then why wouldn't Kovy sign for 80 mill in NJ, before, and ESPECIALLY after the arbitration?

If you assume this (as Hradek sort of does and many in this thread do), then there are only two possible answers:

1. Kovy/Grossman new they could squeeze the 100 mill, so they did.
2. Or, NJ was $20 mill less attractive to Kovy than LA.

Now, its probably a combination of the two, the money, and that Lombardi turned him off. Its a shame, its also not that the end of the world.

Everyone involved in this Kovy situation ****ed up something to some degree. The whole thing was a mess, from LA to Kovy to Grossman to Jersey to the NHL to the NHLPA. All of them, morons. Just different levels of moron.
"(ASSUMING) That Lombardi's questioning was the reason Kovy didn't sign in LA," -- I really doubt that a star player represented by one of the more prominent agents in hockey was thrown off by a few questions. Especially given the fact that Lombardi essentially lowballed the guy (especially if you believe the rumors that Kovy wanted $100M) and the only two parties to publicly (key word) offer $100M were NJ and ATL.

We also know that 15 & 17 years are retirement contracts, so 13 might as well be as well. 27+13=40, the new golden number.

So it's fairly obvious: would you take 15 years at $100M, or 13 at $80M? Especially given that the higher offer comes from a familiar team you've played for with a tradition of winning and doing everything it can to win? Not saying that the Kings aren't at all, and there's no doubt in my mind that they will be a powerhouse soon enough. But the Devils have the trophies to prove it and the serious money the dude allegedly wanted.

I really think this article is BS. We all knew the guy wanted his money, and he got it. If the Kings offer was relatively close to the Devils, it's a different subject altogether. And since no one's really talking, besides Sourpuss in Toronto who really ONLY talks, it's just crazy to keep speculating. We won't hear "Well I only went to NJ because of the money" for 15 years, unless dude wants a one-way trip out of New Jersey (cue the "why wouldn't he?" haters), and by then none of us will care.

ESPN is stirring the pot trying to keep their subscribers for their insider garbage happy.

And we're all the morons.

None Shall Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 07:15 PM
ZadorovNJD*
go away fatso

The story from an unnamed source reported by one guy doesn't even make sense on a base level. Wasn't the whole point of the trip to L.A. for the Kings to woo Kovalchuk? Why try to butter him up and then subject him to "intense questioning?" Why does Chewbacca live on Endor? It does not make sense.

ZadorovNJD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 07:16 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
The story from an unnamed source reported by one guy doesn't even make sense on a base level. Wasn't the whole point of the trip to L.A. for the Kings to woo Kovalchuk? Why try to butter him up and then subject him to "intense questioning?" Why does Chewbacca live on Endor? It does not make sense.
It does. A Lombardi thing. It's okay though, I really didn't want Kovalchuk here anyway.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 07:17 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Turned him off? How'd that go

Lombardi "So, Ilya do you like me better in the red bikini or the blue striped one?"

Kovalchuk "Uh....gee, let me take a nice long walk to think this out..."

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 07:24 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
Turned him off? How'd that go

Lombardi "So, Ilya do you like me better in the red bikini or the blue striped one?"

Kovalchuk "Uh....gee, let me take a nice long walk to think this out..."

Sex sells in LA...

Old
09-08-2010, 07:28 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Exactly what kind of questions do you think he was being asked? "Are you going to play defense?...Are you committed to trying to win a Stanley Cup, or are you only in it for the money?" Consider this a job interview. Any Tom, Dick, or Harry would say exactly what the person on the other side of the table wanted to hear....if those were the questions being asked.

The bottom line is that Kovalchuk is a 27 year old veteran player. He's in his prime. HE IS WHAT HE IS. If the Kings don't trust their professional scouts enough that they need the player to tell them what he does or doesn't bring to the table then it really wouldn't matter what he told them.
Knowing Lombardi the questions were probably more about his background and what Kovalchuk wanted to accomplish in the future with the Kings.

Lombardi has seen Kovalchuk play so he knows what he does on the ice. I'm sure Dean was trying to figure out what type of person he was getting the organization "married" to for the next 10 years.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 07:36 PM
None Shall Pass
Got Carter

Lombardi: "Are you signing here?"
Kovalchuk: "Maybe."
Lombardi: "How about now?"
Lombardi: *Sexy stare*
Kovalchuk: "Mayyyyyybe...."

None Shall Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 07:42 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
Actually he's from the planet Kashyyyk Ewoks live on Endor

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 07:55 PM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

Not sure if it's been posted:

Quote:
Jay Grossman:

On contract talks with other teams besides New Jersey: "In fairness, we were never really comparing apples to apples. The needs of the Thrashers (before trading Kovalchuk), compared to the needs of the Kings in where they were in the growth and development of their organization … compared to New Jersey, you were never really comparing apples to apples. They were all in much, much different scenarios. What it came down to with New Jersey was the environment they have to win night in and night out."
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...lug=tsn-167037

Thanks DS.

njdevsfn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Kopistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post

Thanks DS.
Really, is that so????? Yeah nope

Kopistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 08:26 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:

Thanks DS.
I've never seen that before, but I can't say that I'm surprised. Just typical agent speak

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 09:21 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
ah you beat me to it. these important facts really shouldnt be ignored in the grand scheme of things.

åboriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 09:28 PM
ukyo

Quote:
Seriously?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chewbacca_defense

ukyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 09:30 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

They wanted to have wookies in ROTJ, I believe. However, Lucas went with the cuddly ewoks instead. Why? I just don't know

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Boondock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
It's tough to pass judgment without knowing what Lombardi was asking. I think most of us could relate in having a job interview with a prospective boss and getting a bad vibe.
That's so true - There was an exec with the Miami Dolphins who asked Dez Bryant during an NFL pre-draft interview if his mother was a hooker. Certain lines of questioning are out of line and would make me want to ply my trade elsewhere

Boondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 09:36 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
They wanted to have wookies in ROTJ, I believe. However, Lucas went with the cuddly ewoks instead. Why? I just don't know
To sell ewok toys and suck up to the little kids.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 09:51 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Knowing Lombardi the questions were probably more about his background and what Kovalchuk wanted to accomplish in the future with the Kings.

Lombardi has seen Kovalchuk play so he knows what he does on the ice. I'm sure Dean was trying to figure out what type of person he was getting the organization "married" to for the next 10 years.
That's what I would assume. The Kings fan to whom I was responding though was inferring something different with the phrase (paraphrasing here) "I guess stats are all that matter."

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Haik

Quote:

Thanks DS.
Ahhh then why did it take 2 months to sign that contract Jay? Surely that 100M that no one else was offering had nothing to do with Kovy's decision....

Haik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 09:58 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haik View Post
Ahhh then why did it take 2 months to sign that contract Jay? Surely that 100M that no one else was offering had nothing to do with Kovy's decision....
Not saying that Jersey doesn't have a tradition of winning, but did someone lie to him about Brodeur's age?

Brodeur has what, 2-3 years left? Maybe 4 on the outside? After that, what happens to that atmosphere of winning?

NJ has with Kovy, hell even without Kovy one of the best top six in the game, but their defense is suspect, I don't trust Volchenkov to play full 82 games, while he is good, I think he will be injured more often than not, Tallinder is what he is, a meh 4th-5th guy, etc.

No clear replacement for Brodeur, and clearly none as good, not that they can be faulted for that, I don't think any team would have a replacement for him,

Lou must have done one helluva sales job to convince Kovy that NJ would be winning 4-5 years down the road.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Not saying that Jersey doesn't have a tradition of winning, but did someone lie to him about Brodeur's age?

Brodeur has what, 2-3 years left? Maybe 4 on the outside? After that, what happens to that atmosphere of winning?

NJ has with Kovy, hell even without Kovy one of the best top six in the game, but their defense is suspect, I don't trust Volchenkov to play full 82 games, while he is good, I think he will be injured more often than not, Tallinder is what he is, a meh 4th-5th guy, etc.

No clear replacement for Brodeur, and clearly none as good, not that they can be faulted for that, I don't think any team would have a replacement for him,

Lou must have done one helluva sales job to convince Kovy that NJ would be winning 4-5 years down the road.
I would be far more concerned when Lou was going to retire because they'll find a way to win without Brodeur as long a he's there.

Old
09-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Stevens 4

Quote:
I've never seen that before, but I can't say that I'm surprised. Just typical agent speak
So, EJ Hradek is a legitimate source yet Jay Grossman is just using "agent speak". Riiiiiight.

Stevens 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 10:19 PM
dabeechman

Quote:

Thanks DS.
Like he is going to really say "Ilya wanted to go to LA, but they are tight *****, and lets face it...20m can buy a lot of happiness."

Course not.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 10:30 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
I would be far more concerned when Lou was going to retire because they'll find a way to win without Brodeur as long a he's there.
Maybe, I don't see it, granted Lou is one of the best builders in there and a sure bet for HOF, but his owner pretty much handcuffed him for the foreseeable future with this move.

I think Kovy missed the boat on this by about 4-5 seasons, and he isn't gonna be a happy camper when he finds out Brodeur is 35+ not 21.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 10:34 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
To sell ewok toys and suck up to the little kids.
********, how many lil' kids actually liked ewoks? I call shenanigans.

An army of Wookies devastating the Empire, awesome.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 10:40 PM
Go Wings

Good. LA doesnt need to waste that kind of money on a 1 dimensional player like Kovalchuk. All LA needs is time. They have one of the best young teams in the league and one of the best group of prospects in the league too. Lombardi has done a fantastic job in LA just like he did in San Jose building that team from a joke into a competitive team.

Go Wings is offline   Reply With Quote