HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MSG Network

Old
09-08-2010, 12:01 AM
TopShelfGoal

vCash: 500
MSG Network

Hey guys, Penguins fan here. Sorry to waste space and make a new thread about this, but I recently moved to the Elmira/Binghamton area and was wondering if all NYR, NYI, and NJD games are played on the MSG Network. With really no way of watching the Penguins play unless I get Center Ice or GCL, MSG will allow me to watch a couple games a season, right? Anyways, I see replays of Rangers, Islanders, and Devils games on this channel and was wondering if they carry all three teams thru out the season. Thanks guys.

TopShelfGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 12:14 AM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

MSG in the NY metro area has all 3 teams u mentioned. U might like Hockey Night Live since Sid is always putting up pretty plays.
http://www.msg.com/tv

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 12:23 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

NHL Center Ice is totally worth it. Had it for years and years now.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 12:24 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
MSG [most of the time] shows the rangers and knicks. The Islanders and devils are usually on MSG+ or MSG2 or both.

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 12:28 AM
BPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridoli View Post
Hey guys, Penguins fan here. Sorry to waste space and make a new thread about this, but I recently moved to the Elmira/Binghamton area and was wondering if all NYR, NYI, and NJD games are played on the MSG Network. With really no way of watching the Penguins play unless I get Center Ice or GCL, MSG will allow me to watch a couple games a season, right? Anyways, I see replays of Rangers, Islanders, and Devils games on this channel and was wondering if they carry all three teams thru out the season. Thanks guys.
You're in a VERY tough area.

I spent 4 years at the university in Binghamton. Your priority list is as follows..

Sabres
Knicks Home
Rangers Home
Knicks Away
Rangers Away
Devils
Isles.

If I recall correctly.

Furthermore, I'd double check CI - it's entirely likely the non-broadcasted games cause blackout anyway. Call up the local provider and get it sorted that way, but I would be jumping on the Center Ice package like white on rice.

BPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 04:02 AM
eco's bones

I live in Elmira. You'll get most of the Ranger games. 55-60 anyway. Islanders--Devils about 40 some games each. Sabres probably in that range too. It's ****ing odd having Sabres games pre-empt Ranger games on the Rangers own network sometimes. I hate Rick Jeanrette and I very rarely watch them unless they're playing the Rangers. I wind up livestreaming about 20 or so games a year. Usually MSG puts up a schedule early in the season of what Rangers games showing in what areas. Anyway in Elmira/Horseheads and maybe even Corning there are two channels 25 (mostly Islanders, Devils) & 27 (MSG--mostly Rangers--sometimes Sabres and occasionally Devils, Islanders). 69 is versus.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 05:19 AM
TopShelfGoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I live in Elmira. You'll get most of the Ranger games. 55-60 anyway. Islanders--Devils about 40 some games each. Sabres probably in that range too. It's ****ing odd having Sabres games pre-empt Ranger games on the Rangers own network sometimes. I hate Rick Jeanrette and I very rarely watch them unless they're playing the Rangers. I wind up livestreaming about 20 or so games a year. Usually MSG puts up a schedule early in the season of what Rangers games showing in what areas. Anyway in Elmira/Horseheads and maybe even Corning there are two channels 25 (mostly Islanders, Devils) & 27 (MSG--mostly Rangers--sometimes Sabres and occasionally Devils, Islanders). 69 is versus.
Thanks a lot, very helpful. Is there anywhere around this area to play hockey? I know First Arena has some pick up but I haven't really looked into it. Kinda off topic, but curious. Haven't played since February and dying to get on some ice.

Old
09-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
NHL Center Ice is totally worth it. Had it for years and years now.
I used to think it was the biggest bargain until I got a high definition TV. Cablevision refuses to put the games on high def and low def hockey is almost impossible to watch on a high def TV. When those Cablevision b***ards bump the Rangers to a low def station (and still claim that all the games are available in high def) I want to through something through the TV screen but it costs too much.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 06:07 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
I used to think it was the biggest bargain until I got a high definition TV. Cablevision refuses to put the games on high def and low def hockey is almost impossible to watch on a high def TV. When those Cablevision b***ards bump the Rangers to a low def station (and still claim that all the games are available in high def) I want to through something through the TV screen but it costs too much.
I'm no fan of Cablevision but they don't claim every game is in HD. They say they offer every game that is available in HD... in HD.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 12:17 AM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Why do they air Sabres games?
Isn't Binghamton like all NYR fans?

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 12:58 AM
BPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenIceAge View Post
Why do they air Sabres games?
Isn't Binghamton like all NYR fans?
Yeah, all NYR fans up there. damn near 100%. NYR farm club used to be the Bing Rangers.

You've got a decent contingent of Sens fans there too because of the B-Sens but that's trickled off a bit, since the B-Sens blow now.

BPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 09:26 PM
TopShelfGoal

Well now they've got a Pens fan. Surprisingly there's a lot of Flyers fans around here too. Maybe something to do with recent cup run.?

Old
09-13-2010, 10:50 PM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridoli View Post
Well now they've got a Pens fan. Surprisingly there's a lot of Flyers fans around here too. Maybe something to do with recent cup run.?
Flyer fans in Monroeville and Binghamton?
No way...Philly fans in PA relegated to metro Philly/Lehigh Valley...the rest of PA hates Philly and no way a Philly team gets fans in NY.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 01:42 PM
nyrmetros

Is Saratoga considered Rangers or Buffalo country? When I went up there the motel had MSG + with lots of Rangers commercials.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 01:45 PM
SRTtoZ

Center ICE is good, but only if its in HD...the SD feed is crap. My best friend is a Pens fan and he gets to watch a ton of games because you get to see them play the Rangers, Isles, Devils so much (MSG, MSG2, MSG+), PLUS the pens are ALWAYS on Vs or NBC. You get if im not mistaken about 30-40 games this season that will be on TV if you get MSG network.

SRTtoZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 01:55 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

I hate being a NY sports fan stuck in Vermont with Boston fans EVERYWHERE. I'd gladly trade my NESN (and that god-awful NESN hockey crew) in for MSG.

The Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 02:51 PM
SRTtoZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikTheKing30 View Post
I hate being a NY sports fan stuck in Vermont with Boston fans EVERYWHERE. I'd gladly trade my NESN (and that god-awful NESN hockey crew) in for MSG.
I used to travel a lot for work and I can tell you that MSG is by far the best network on the market. NESN, MASN etc etc just dont compare...Yep, once you get up there in maine, NH, VT, Mass you are STUCK in boston town lol.

SRTtoZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 02:55 PM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
Is Saratoga considered Rangers or Buffalo country? When I went up there the motel had MSG + with lots of Rangers commercials.
I don't know why Saratoga would be considered Buffalo country. 'Toga is 300 miles away from Buffalo. about 180 or so from the city.

There may also be some 'Wings fans there leftover from the Adirondack Red Wings days.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 12:51 AM
HockeyGuy1985*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post

Why would Saratoga be Buffalo territory?

I think this is a common misconception for those who arent "familiar" with Upstate NY.

Buffalos sports influence traditionally only stretches as far as Syracuse.

More recently though, since the NHL is trying to get Buffalo more fans, they are marketing the Sabres in areas where they havent before (basically Rangers areas ie: Utica, Albany, Saratoga, etc.).

Sorry NHL, the Rangers got you by about 40 years in these areas. Best of luck with that. Although the sudden sprouting of Buffalo Sabres memorabilia in these areas is quite sickening.

HockeyGuy1985* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 10:33 AM
nyrmetros

When I was in Lake George over the weekend, the local sport stores had memorabilia from Boston Bruins, Montreal Canadiens, and Buffalo Sabres. Very little from NYR. And I did see quite a few people wearing Boston or Buffalo gear. I was rocking my NYR gear and heckling them.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 10:49 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

I went to school in Oneonta which is 2 hours southeast of 'Cuse and an hour west of Albany and the Sabres games got first priority on MSG.

I think that in Binghamton the Sabres get first priority as well (could be wrong about that), plus at one of their biggest amateur hockey rinks (Chenango I think it's called) they have all Sabres gear and the bar seemed to be populated with all Sabres fans the few times I've been there.

As far as Albany-Saratoga are concerned, I have about 20 college buddies from the area and I don't think one of them is a Bills or Sabres fan. They are all Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets fans (with one being a Pats/Sox fan). One of my buddies from Lake George is a huge Yankee, Ranger, Giant fan.

Stugots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 11:58 AM
HockeyGuy1985*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
I went to school in Oneonta which is 2 hours southeast of 'Cuse and an hour west of Albany and the Sabres games got first priority on MSG.

I think that in Binghamton the Sabres get first priority as well (could be wrong about that), plus at one of their biggest amateur hockey rinks (Chenango I think it's called) they have all Sabres gear and the bar seemed to be populated with all Sabres fans the few times I've been there.

As far as Albany-Saratoga are concerned, I have about 20 college buddies from the area and I don't think one of them is a Bills or Sabres fan. They are all Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets fans (with one being a Pats/Sox fan). One of my buddies from Lake George is a huge Yankee, Ranger, Giant fan.

As of 2006, yes.

From 1969-2006, no. Rangers games never missed a beat.

This all abruptly changed seemingly overnight.

Take it from someone who is from the Mohawk Valley. Albany is definitely Rangers and Devils. Id venture to say the Sabres arent in the top 5 teams.

Lets not forget that SUNY campuses bring in alot of people from all over the state (Western NYers) that are natives of the area.

HockeyGuy1985* is offline   Reply With Quote