HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

2012-2013 News Around the NHL thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2011, 01:03 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
He hasn't played well and is very expensive. I could see him being decent in Pitt but I'm doubtful of any type of impressive offensive production coming from him.
Yeah, I think he's done like dinner too. Looks like they got rid of him to make room to claim Marek Svatos off waivers though.

Old
03-01-2011, 08:34 PM
jol

Niemi signed 4 year contract with San Jose, ESPN reporting that Niemi will earn $3.8 million per year (average).

JOL

Old
03-02-2011, 09:04 PM
Holy Jokinen

Frolik scored his first goal for the Hawks, and his first goal in almost 3 months tonight.

Old
03-02-2011, 10:36 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
Frolik scored his first goal for the Hawks, and his first goal in almost 3 months tonight.
1 more than Skille.

Old
03-02-2011, 11:17 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
1 more than Skille.
Who's injured.

Old
03-03-2011, 08:53 AM
Rattrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Who's injured.
He's still only played 3 less games than Frolik and averaged about 4 minutes a game more ice time on top lines.

Both suck is all I'm saying.

Old
03-03-2011, 09:25 AM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Frolik scoring doesn't bother me, it took him 9 games to do it in Chicago having previously been negative with them and it was his first since December. Time will tell if he can keep anything going.

What does bother me is seeing (and I know this is dragging it up again) Grabner winning Rookie of the Month for February. I think it's always going to irk me how bad a move that was sending him down. The guy isn't exactly slowing down and no matter how you want to slice it, would have been a huge boost for this team.

I know I know, beating a dead horse, but one can't help but be saddened by that.

Florida Panthers: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Lottery...Winners?
Old
03-03-2011, 10:17 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers Rock View Post
Frolik scoring doesn't bother me, it took him 9 games to do it in Chicago having previously been negative with them and it was his first since December. Time will tell if he can keep anything going.

What does bother me is seeing (and I know this is dragging it up again) Grabner winning Rookie of the Month for February. I think it's always going to irk me how bad a move that was sending him down. The guy isn't exactly slowing down and no matter how you want to slice it, would have been a huge boost for this team.

I know I know, beating a dead horse, but one can't help but be saddened by that.
If it helps the Islanders pass the Panthers in the standings, it may some day end up being a good thing....

... but yeah, if there's any one move that makes me question the "Blueprint" it's that one.

Is the "Blueprint" really all about hockey ops or is it a smokescreen to allow SSE to cut expenses? Does Tallon put Grabner on waivers in the absence of financial considerations?

Old
03-03-2011, 10:16 PM
PBPantherfan
Here we go again

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
If it helps the Islanders pass the Panthers in the standings, it may some day end up being a good thing....

... but yeah, if there's any one move that makes me question the "Blueprint" it's that one.

Is the "Blueprint" really all about hockey ops or is it a smokescreen to allow SSE to cut expenses? Does Tallon put Grabner on waivers in the absence of financial considerations?
I think Tallon put him on waivers because he came in and said its my way or the highway play hard play good or you won't be here. Grabner didn't. Slow starter or not he wasn't an established player you cut some slack he was beat out by other players. If Tallon keeps him up and sends someone else down everything he preached was nothing but BS and the players wouldn't trust him. He really didn't have a choice. Even the guys we traded seemed to have no hard feelings because Tallon was straight up with them he told them what he was doing and what he wanted and they respected it.

Old
03-09-2011, 02:57 PM
Holy Jokinen

No suspension for Chara. I, for one, agree with the assessment. If the exact play had happened anywhere else on the ice, it would've been a simply interference penalty. It was an unfortunate hockey play that ended in an injury. I would've agreed with 2 games or less, anything more and i think it'd be over-reaction.

I went at took a look at the Habs boards, and geez, some of them are calling for Chara to be executed or something. I remember how i felt after the Richards-Booth fiasco, and i can't help but relate. But yeah, its a tough situation.

Old
03-09-2011, 04:02 PM
Two4Fighting

That was actually a very clean hit, I see why Chara did not get penalized.

Old
03-09-2011, 05:11 PM
PBPantherfan
Here we go again

Quote:
No suspension for Chara. I, for one, agree with the assessment. If the exact play had happened anywhere else on the ice, it would've been a simply interference penalty. It was an unfortunate hockey play that ended in an injury. I would've agreed with 2 games or less, anything more and i think it'd be over-reaction.

I went at took a look at the Habs boards, and geez, some of them are calling for Chara to be executed or something. I remember how i felt after the Richards-Booth fiasco, and i can't help but relate. But yeah, its a tough situation.
If you give a guy sw two handed shove in the back front of the net its not a penalty if you do it into the boards it is. Where things happen on the ice matter.

Old
03-09-2011, 06:23 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

I thought it may have been slightly dirty, but overall it seemed to me a fairly clean hit. It really didn't look that bad at all, so I don't need the immediate need for suspension. As much as I hate the Habs more than anything, I have to feel for Pacioretty. Nobody wants to see any player get a major concussion and even worse, a fractured vertebrae.

Old
03-09-2011, 06:34 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBPantherfan View Post
If you give a guy sw two handed shove in the back front of the net its not a penalty if you do it into the boards it is. Where things happen on the ice matter.
Of course, but many arenas have different set ups, and you simply can't be aware of where you are at any given time while trying to do your job on the ice. Any hesitation at the NHL level is magnified thousands of times and can cost you goals, points, division leads, playoff seeds, etc...

Chara doesn't do stupid stuff like this. He's not a Trevor Gilles or a Matt Cooke. The guy has been playing 13 years without incident, he didn't suddenly snap and try to take peoples' heads off. It's an unfortunate inevitability in the game today. It's so fast and so confined, that stuff like this is bound to happen, and sometimes, there's no one to blame. This is what is so hard for a lot of people to accept.

I wish Pacioretty the swiftest of recoveries.

Old
03-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Thunderheart

Just like I did not like what happened to Booth with Richards, Chara has to be responsible for what he does...I do not buy that a player with his experience did not realize what he was doing or where he was in the ice...I believe he intentionally took advantage of where he was and rode the Montreal player into the partition with intent to injure...there should have been a suspension!
Thunderheart

Old
03-10-2011, 05:19 AM
PBPantherfan
Here we go again

Quote:
Of course, but many arenas have different set ups, and you simply can't be aware of where you are at any given time while trying to do your job on the ice. Any hesitation at the NHL level is magnified thousands of times and can cost you goals, points, division leads, playoff seeds, etc...

Chara doesn't do stupid stuff like this. He's not a Trevor Gilles or a Matt Cooke. The guy has been playing 13 years without incident, he didn't suddenly snap and try to take peoples' heads off. It's an unfortunate inevitability in the game today. It's so fast and so confined, that stuff like this is bound to happen, and sometimes, there's no one to blame. This is what is so hard for a lot of people to accept.

I wish Pacioretty the swiftest of recoveries.
Really? Isn't that what makes a great player great knowing where they and everybody else is on the ice? If players can't be aware of where they are on the ice they aren't going to be in the NHL for very long. Chara used his hand and forced his head into the turnbuckle. Even if he wasn't trying to hurt him it was a negligent play and he was committing a penalty as he did it. I am not saying suspend him for a year but he should have got at least a couple games.

Old
03-10-2011, 11:15 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Really? Isn't that what makes a great player great knowing where they and everybody else is on the ice? If players can't be aware of where they are on the ice they aren't going to be in the NHL for very long. Chara used his hand and forced his head into the turnbuckle. Even if he wasn't trying to hurt him it was a negligent play and he was committing a penalty as he did it. I am not saying suspend him for a year but he should have got at least a couple games.
sarcasm aside, i don't think chara intentionally forced his head into the turnbuckle and you simply can't watch that replay in slo-mo and point to frames and say "there!" - the game is too fast. it's is, in fact, impossible to say there was intent.

this was a difficult call but the bolded part is the best argument for some kind of suspension. i think montreal fans are WAY on the emotional side of this one and being irrational but the explanation from the league does make sense. it was a very difficult call.

hopefully, this will force the league to look carefully at improving safety around those areas of the ice (as the recent injury at the photographer's holes did). and hopefully, as it appears, maxpac will be just fine.

Old
03-10-2011, 02:00 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
What i mean is, different arenas have that stanchion starting at different areas. It isn't a uniform thing in every arena. So what i meant was, an NHL defensman isn't going to think about where he is in relation to the stanchion and throw a hit like that. Chara was desperate because he was in danger of being beat in a foot race for a loose puck, so he put the guy into the boards. Was it illegal? Yes. The Montreal player didn't have the puck.

But if you look at every hit that occurs in the bench area, they all look exactly the same. The forearm or shoulder follows through to knock the guy further into that empty space above the boards. 99% of the time, the stanchion has nothing to do with the play. Chara, IMO, was just putting a good hit (in an illegal situation) on an opposing player, and it had an unfortunate outcome.

Old
03-10-2011, 09:18 PM
Acadmus

So I finally had a look at the replay of the Chara/Pacioretti thing (however you spell his name). My first instinct was to say that it's just an incidental thing that didn't look intentional by Chara....then they switched from the rink-side camera angle to one up ice where you can see their faces. Chara gave Pacioretti a little look as they're approaching that metal support, and then gives Max a hard shove right into it. Only then does he shift his gaze straight ahead as though his focus was on the puck all along.

My thought now is it was 100% intentional, and Chara should be banned for the duration of this season and probably next as well. Clear and deliberate intent to harm. This was no accident.

03-10-2011, 09:58 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
It was also a late hit. Chara saw Max get rid of the puck and he didn't have to finish the check in a dangerous area of the rink. He knew what he was doing. I'm sure he meant to rattle him, but I don't think he meant to shatter his neck and give him a concussion. With that said, maybe he shouldn't play till' Max is back on the ice. Fair is fair.

Old
03-11-2011, 08:35 AM
Rattrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
So I finally had a look at the replay of the Chara/Pacioretti thing (however you spell his name). My first instinct was to say that it's just an incidental thing that didn't look intentional by Chara....then they switched from the rink-side camera angle to one up ice where you can see their faces. Chara gave Pacioretti a little look as they're approaching that metal support, and then gives Max a hard shove right into it. Only then does he shift his gaze straight ahead as though his focus was on the puck all along.

My thought now is it was 100% intentional, and Chara should be banned for the duration of this season and probably next as well. Clear and deliberate intent to harm. This was no accident.
What video includes these faces?

Old
03-18-2011, 11:58 PM
jol

Bouwmeester sets ironman record for defencemen, 497 games (already more)

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=556198

JOL

Old
03-21-2011, 12:36 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Anderson signs four year deal with the Sens, for $3.2 million per (rounded up). So much for going with him in the offseason if Vokoun walks.

Old
03-21-2011, 01:10 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Anderson signs four year deal with the Sens, for $3.2 million per (rounded up). So much for going with him in the offseason if Vokoun walks.
Not liking that for Ottawa at all, but whatever. He's a 50/50 chance at this point. He's had one strong year as a starter and one pretty terrible year. So, we'll see how this pans out.

Old
03-21-2011, 04:20 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Not liking that for Ottawa at all, but whatever. He's a 50/50 chance at this point. He's had one strong year as a starter and one pretty terrible year. So, we'll see how this pans out.
I agree. I think a four year deal is a bit much for him, but whatever.

Closed Thread