HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 News Around the NHL thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2011, 08:08 PM
zeroG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
Not liking that for Ottawa at all, but whatever. He's a 50/50 chance at this point. He's had one strong year as a starter and one pretty terrible year. So, we'll see how this pans out.
i haven't watched andy much this year or last but i have to ask this (for me, rhetorical... for you?) question - is it fair to judge a goaltender in a vacuum, with no regard for the team in front of him.

Old
03-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

It's not like Ottawa had much of a choice. The goaltending market isn't that great this summer, and they HAD to fix that position this summer. A bit of a desperate move, but a calculated risk with little alternative.

Old
03-21-2011, 09:54 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
i haven't watched andy much this year or last but i have to ask this (for me, rhetorical... for you?) question - is it fair to judge a goaltender in a vacuum, with no regard for the team in front of him.
He's part of the reason the Avs struggled this year. Last year he was a wall and they fed off of that.

Old
03-22-2011, 01:01 AM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
That's the thing. It's a good question.

Last year he put up very strong numbers and pretty much led his mediocre team to the playoffs. Then this year, he suffered an injury and has struggled mightily in front of a similar team (though to be honest, i'm not sure how much turnover the Avs had through the offseason). Now, with the 10 or so starts he's had in Ottawa, he's been pretty good, but it's a very small sample size, and he still has a ton to prove.

What i understand about this signing is that Ottawa doesn't have a ton to choose from at this point. There isn't a big market, so you might as well sign the guy who has played okay so far. Thing is, they probably could have negotiated a cheaper/shorter deal. If Anderson goes to FA, i highly doubt any team would offer him a deal like that. The Panthers could've given him $3mil or so, but not for 4 years. But yeah, i'm not privy to any of the nuances in the negotiations or anything, and the GM/Coach situation in Ottawa is sketchy at best, so who knows what's going on over there.

Old
04-01-2011, 07:53 PM
HowdyHowden93*

Ottawa Signs Anderson

The Ottawa Senators have locked up veteran goaltender Craig Anderson to a four-year contract extension worth $12.75 million.

Anderson, 29, was traded to the Senators by the Colorado Avalanche in exchange for netminder Brian Elliott on Feb. 18.

In 11 games with the Senators, Anderson has posted a 6-4-1 record with a 2.11 goals-against-average and a .938 save percentage.

http://thefourthperiod.com/news/ott110321.html

Ottawa does the right thing. Something the Panthers should have done 2 years ago. Paying the guy half of what FLA pays Vokoun per year.

Old
04-01-2011, 07:55 PM
HowdyHowden93*

I had no idea this had already happened.

Old
04-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Do you not look in the sticky threads?

04-01-2011, 08:34 PM
ShootIt

The hell? We traded Bure to the Rangers?

Old
04-01-2011, 08:38 PM
HowdyHowden93*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Do you not look in the sticky threads?
actually I don't. The only one worth looking at is the prospects thread. That's about all I look at.

ha
ha

Old
04-01-2011, 08:39 PM
HowdyHowden93*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
I love the avatar!! Skille getting his entire body twisted, he's a bum.

Old
04-01-2011, 11:40 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Why dont you look in other threads before wasting our time?

/thread

Old
04-02-2011, 12:24 AM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
I know it hurts losing Pavel Bure now, but this opens the door for Jokinen to truly blossom. And once he does, he'll be a Panther for life. As an added bonus, the organization is going to improve the team by using the money they saved trading Bure. Ah, yes, the future looks bright.

Old
04-02-2011, 12:29 AM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Why dont you look in other threads before wasting our time?

/thread
If only the OP had titled the thread clearly, like I dunno, "Ottawa Signs Anderson" or something like that, I would've never bothered to read it.

Also, has anyone ever noticed this emoticon looks like it's giving birth to a fist? Peculiar, indeed.

Old
04-02-2011, 08:00 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmanfu View Post
I know it hurts losing Pavel Bure now, but this opens the door for Jokinen to truly blossom. And once he does, he'll be a Panther for life. As an added bonus, the organization is going to improve the team by using the money they saved trading Bure. Ah, yes, the future looks bright.

And it's not like we didn't get anything back for him. We acquired Igor Ulanov, really bolstering our blueline and meanwhile we picked up a star blueliner of the future in Filip Novak. Also we got three draft picks we turned into Petr Taticek, Rob Globke, and the 3rd rounder in 2003 was Stefan Meyer I believe? Clearly, we won that deal as those players made such an impact on the Panthers over the years

Last edited by Acadmus: 04-02-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old
04-07-2011, 03:19 PM
zeroG

surprised at the suspension for torres. though he was going for the big hit, replays clearly showed him simply lining up eberle, who was leaning forward to play the puck, and thus lower. he wasn't targeting the head. it was not an elbow by any means and shouldn't have even been a penalty, unless you're going to call it interference, which i disagree with. haven't seen the leagues' justification but i agree with torres - it was clean and you can't penalize that.

Old
04-07-2011, 04:02 PM
ursavolta

Quote:
surprised at the suspension for torres. though he was going for the big hit, replays clearly showed him simply lining up eberle, who was leaning forward to play the puck, and thus lower. he wasn't targeting the head. it was not an elbow by any means and shouldn't have even been a penalty, unless you're going to call it interference, which i disagree with. haven't seen the leagues' justification but i agree with torres - it was clean and you can't penalize that.

yeah i thought it was a clean hit as well, seems like every freaking player in the league had a concussion... the whole hitting high thing is annoying..but what can ya do?

Old
04-08-2011, 02:29 PM
zeroG

how 'bout them rags!!!!

guess torts had laryngitis and could scream his team to a win against a team with nothing to play for? 2nd huge loss in 3 games to a team out of the playoff picture. gotta love it.

Old
04-08-2011, 06:33 PM
KittysGotClaws
We See Red

Quote:
how 'bout them rags!!!!

guess torts had laryngitis and could scream his team to a win against a team with nothing to play for? 2nd huge loss in 3 games to a team out of the playoff picture. gotta love it.
I don't have a dog in the Torts discussion fight, but Callahan being out certainly doesn't help them. He's such a huge piece of that team.

Old
04-08-2011, 07:06 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittysGotClaws View Post
I don't have a dog in the Torts discussion fight, but Callahan being out certainly doesn't help them. He's such a huge piece of that team.
callahan was there when they failed to show up against the isles and were dealt a critical blow a few days ago. so?

let me be clear, i have no problem with torts. as i've said before, you don't get to and stick around the game at this level without knowing the game and understanding your players. the man's won a cup. that's no accident. i haven't followed his teams closely nor listened to his pressers and day to day comments as i have with our coaches so i can't really say whether or not i really *like* him but that's not what the discussion is about. he's a good coach because of what i said above, not because of his demeanor on the bench.

i'm out to discredit this imbecilic theory that a coach has to be screaming and stomping on the bench to be effective and if he's not, he has no emotion or doesn't relate and the team suffers as a result. (as well as the corollary: that one who fits that description is automatically a success *because* of these characteristics).

Old
04-09-2011, 03:07 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittysGotClaws View Post
Of course your right, and Drury, prospal, frolov,Gaborik etc. Well documented what they have overcome. And Callahan by far my favorite Ranger.

Congrats to Torts and the Rangers for a great season overcoming all the above, with, 93 points, despite such an injury riddled season!! A well deserved standing ovation by the sellout crowd at the worlds most famous arena. The experts, ie hockey news, predicted the Rangers 13th on the conference, (healthy!!) saying:

13 NEW YORK RANGERS
Why: Missing the playoffs on the last day of the regular season must still be stinging the Rangers and it won’t help we’ve slotted them in at unlucky No. 13 for 2010-11. Goalie Henrik Lundqvist is about the only reason the Rangers are still afloat and you’ll be hard-pressed to find anyone who believes Marian Gaborik will make it through another season untouched by injury.

Clearly an experienced, enthusiastic coach makes a huge difference, and much credit to Torts, a joy to watch every game. Regardless of what happens tonight with Carolina, what an impressive job by the Rangers and their coach.

Off to the panther game, where sadly will watch vokie for the last time, apparently, partly as a result of differences with our coach....

Old
04-09-2011, 09:46 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Wow ... Unbelievable ... Well, good things come to those deserved and torts and the rags deserve the playoffs!!!! One stat exemplifying great coaching .. The rangers are the only team in the NHL this year not to lose a game they led going into the third!!

Old
04-09-2011, 09:49 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Wow ... Unbelievable ... Well, good things come to those deserved and torts and the rags deserve the playoffs!!!! One stat exemplifying great coaching .. The rangers are the only team in the NHL this year not to lose a game they led going into the third!!
Dude, I enjoy your posts, but you're going a bit overboard.

Old
04-09-2011, 09:56 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
how 'bout them rags!!!!

Yup, torts is loving every minute !!

Old
04-09-2011, 09:59 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Dude, I enjoy your posts, but you're going a bit overboard.
Your right, but I'm in pantherland watching my wife spend a ton .. I'm a little bored and now a little broke lol. I'm done now. :-)

Old
04-09-2011, 10:10 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Your right, but I'm in pantherland watching my wife spend a ton .. I'm a little bored and now a little broke lol. I'm done now. :-)
All good, that can make us all a little crazy.

Closed Thread