HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

2012-2013 News Around the NHL thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Laus723
Future Now

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul DiPietro55 View Post
I heard the nucks always do that with their backup goalie. He's never on the bench.

If it wasn't for the ridiculous contract, who would take Luongo back to the Panthers - assuming Vokoun is off for good?
No, they're usually sitting where all the other backups sit.

And no, wasn't a fan then, still not now.

04-25-2011, 08:57 AM
harv3317

all the complaints about the talent and draft picks on our team, horton overtime game winner, frolik playing awsome in chicago, leopold and seidelman playing well, etc., etc. it seems that we have no concept on how to develop players and how to assess their strengths and weaknesses. we also don't know how to build a cohesive team. we have had talent, but have either miss used it, or not brought in complementary players to develop it. this team continues to be the worst run franchise in the league. oh, and tallon isn't off the hook after the frolik deal and the grabner deal among others!!!

Old
04-27-2011, 12:50 AM
Knightmare

Anyone see Keenan hosting game 7 tonight? He had a smirk on his face the entire time he was talking about luongo/the canucks. Can't help but to imagine that he was thinking: 'Man...I basically built this!'

Old
04-27-2011, 07:06 AM
BabyJagrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3317 View Post
all the complaints about the talent and draft picks on our team, horton overtime game winner, frolik playing awsome in chicago, leopold and seidelman playing well, etc., etc. it seems that we have no concept on how to develop players and how to assess their strengths and weaknesses. we also don't know how to build a cohesive team. we have had talent, but have either miss used it, or not brought in complementary players to develop it. this team continues to be the worst run franchise in the league. oh, and tallon isn't off the hook after the frolik deal and the grabner deal among others!!!
Leopold is out of it right now, and he sure was on fire at the beginning of the year but not so much... I won't cry over losing a defenseman like him as good as he is, he was a piece of garbage thrown at us for Bouwmeester and brought back two draft picks with him ! I won't complain.

Seidelman... You must mean Seidenberg ? Well guess what, he is facing the possibility of losing it all against a pretty good Canadiens team, just like Horton... And he isn't something to write home about 3M a year, Boston second best defenseman (third maybe now with Kaberle), and you can clearly see night-in and night-out that Boston D is not very deep... They play good team D, but there defensemen are awful !

Horton ? Well I guess we'll see tonight...

Frolik ? Got hot while playing with one of the most underrated players in the League and one of his best playoffs performer... Frolik was moving his feet during 2 games ? Okay that's great... Moving his feet for 10+ games in an 82+ season, that must be a great accomplishment !

Fair enough, you don't like Tallon's way ! But I won't cry over past guys, I'll enjoy the Dadonov, Skille, Weiss, Booth, Ellerby, Kulikov and others in the future...

Old
04-27-2011, 09:10 AM
harv3317

i'm just saying we are an nhl team and we do have talented players, or they wouldn't be in the nhl. our problem consistently from 2000 on is that we could never compliment our players. we seem to have no concept of team chemistry and cohesiveness. meaning we don't bring in players who fit a mold to work properly with the skill sets of our existing players. also many of our coaches refused to coach to the talent they have and instead forced players to play a style inconsisten with their skill set. if you look around the league you will find numerous players who did nothing to improve our team, yet they are doing well filling needs with other teams. it seems that probaly in 80% of trades and non signs our former players have far exceeded their performance here with other teams. is it the team, the player, the coach, or the style of play that caused their improvement? my problem is we've always seemed to have a helter skelter group of players with no consistent, scheeme, rhyme, or reason. i mean we had bury, but didn't bring in the right mix of players to compliment him. this has been our franchise since murray took over and continued up to now. i sure hope tallon can right the ship. it's been over 10 years. frustration is deep. i'm tired of being the farm team for the rest of the nhl!!!!!!

Old
04-27-2011, 12:50 PM
vendetta

vCash: 609
Quote:
buddy none of the guys u listed had a great year. hortons year was the same as it was here pretty much though he did score 31 goals here one year. frolik was useless in chicago until playoffs started and he played with much better players. seidenberg and leopold didnt do much either so i dunno what u r referring to

Old
04-27-2011, 09:15 PM
Acadmus

Of all people - Horton scores the game winning overtime goal to send the Bruins to the second round.

04-27-2011, 09:29 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
Of all people - Horton scores the game winning overtime goal to send the Bruins to the second round.
Like they said, he finally put himself in position to shoot.

Old
04-27-2011, 10:18 PM
zeroG

Quote:
shouldn't be surprising; he is a very good hockey player. a buddy called me an hour before the game with an extra ticket so i was there, btw. great game. funny the way things go - boston absolutely dominated most of the 1st but couldn't pull away. dominated most of the 3rd and ended up tied. montreal comes out and takes over the first 5 minutes of OT, gets several good chances but can't get one past thomas. boston gets a pretty meh chance and boom, series over. boston was definitely the better team tho and the chances, if not shots, reflected that.

ought to be a really good series with philly again. if they can do what they did for most of the night tonight (pretty clean in their own end, won most 1v1 battles, got puck out quick, got pucks deep in the offensive zone, maintained pretty solid structure defensively and worked hard on the backcheck, especially in the 3rd) and stay out of the box, they will do OK. would love to see lucic freight train ****ing richards.

Old
04-28-2011, 01:10 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
i'm just saying we are an nhl team and we do have talented players, or they wouldn't be in the nhl. our problem consistently from 2000 on is that we could never compliment our players. we seem to have no concept of team chemistry and cohesiveness. meaning we don't bring in players who fit a mold to work properly with the skill sets of our existing players. also many of our coaches refused to coach to the talent they have and instead forced players to play a style inconsisten with their skill set. if you look around the league you will find numerous players who did nothing to improve our team, yet they are doing well filling needs with other teams. it seems that probaly in 80% of trades and non signs our former players have far exceeded their performance here with other teams. is it the team, the player, the coach, or the style of play that caused their improvement? my problem is we've always seemed to have a helter skelter group of players with no consistent, scheeme, rhyme, or reason. i mean we had bury, but didn't bring in the right mix of players to compliment him. this has been our franchise since murray took over and continued up to now. i sure hope tallon can right the ship. it's been over 10 years. frustration is deep. i'm tired of being the farm team for the rest of the nhl!!!!!!
Well what do you expect when you have a constant turnover of coaches, management, etc. DeBoer said it best. In his 3 years here he had 3 different GMs and 3 different ownership structures. Tallon's going to turn it around, it's going to take some time, but he's going to do it his way and do it right, unlike it's been done in the past. That may mean saying goodbye to some players but so be it, Tallon has his own vision of how he wants this team to look. Besides, some players like Horton for example didn't want to be here anymore. Tear down the old, get rid of all the poisonous attitudes, build anew.

Old
04-28-2011, 07:20 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
shouldn't be surprising; he is a very good hockey player. a buddy called me an hour before the game with an extra ticket so i was there, btw. great game. funny the way things go - boston absolutely dominated most of the 1st but couldn't pull away. dominated most of the 3rd and ended up tied. montreal comes out and takes over the first 5 minutes of OT, gets several good chances but can't get one past thomas. boston gets a pretty meh chance and boom, series over. boston was definitely the better team tho and the chances, if not shots, reflected that.

ought to be a really good series with philly again. if they can do what they did for most of the night tonight (pretty clean in their own end, won most 1v1 battles, got puck out quick, got pucks deep in the offensive zone, maintained pretty solid structure defensively and worked hard on the backcheck, especially in the 3rd) and stay out of the box, they will do OK. would love to see lucic freight train ****ing richards.
I agree with everything you said, except describing Horton as a "very good" hockey player might be the wrong modifier attached to the noun

Good, but not "very good".

Boston looked really good though. A well coached team, but does anyone else think that something is up with Chara? He doesn't look the same. He's not taking the chances to be as physical as he normally is. Passing on the big checks, turning over the puck and being hesitant on the rush at times. I'm wondering if the "dehydration" wasn't something else and my Bruins fan teammate is even agreeing with me.

Old
04-28-2011, 08:17 AM
Acadmus

Three former Panthers came through in the clutch in all these games 7 we saw this round:

Nathan Horton (BOS) - OT winning goal in game 7
Roberto Luongo (VAN) - 31 saves, 1 goal against in game 7, game won in OT
Dominic Moore (TB) - first assist on OT winning goal in game 7

Old
04-28-2011, 12:40 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
I agree with everything you said, except describing Horton as a "very good" hockey player might be the wrong modifier attached to the noun

Good, but not "very good".

Boston looked really good though. A well coached team, but does anyone else think that something is up with Chara? He doesn't look the same. He's not taking the chances to be as physical as he normally is. Passing on the big checks, turning over the puck and being hesitant on the rush at times. I'm wondering if the "dehydration" wasn't something else and my Bruins fan teammate is even agreeing with me.
he didn't look great, i agree. that little stumble off the draw in the 3rd that almost gave the habs a breakaway was kinda funny but it was very humid yesterday here and the ice looked rather soft. several other players wiped out so i wouldn't attribute that to some malady. but yeah - not his usual self. however, the dehydration could've really sapped his strength. maybe it's just taking him some time to get back to normal, especially considering that he really isn't able to rest in the middle of a playoff series.

and c'mon, let's cute nate a little slack. 3 goals, two OT winners in his first playoff series? ok, let's agree to go with good for now and see how the rest of the playoffs play out.

i will admit it was a little bittersweet listening to him talking about how much he is loving the playoffs in his interview from the bench as we made our way out of the arena. i don't begrudge him anything though; the guy had done his time, seen enough and wanted to play for a real franchise. i actually think he made a pretty smart move.

Quote:
Three former Panthers came through in the clutch in all these games 7 we saw this round:

really only goes to show that we have had some good players here. even alleged "dead wood" (as many fans on these boards - not just in our corner - like to say) players can have an impact when utilized correctly.

Old
04-28-2011, 03:01 PM
harv3317

absolutely, players can have an impact when utilized correctly and playing with a cohesive team. that's been my point. it's not so much the players as our system, or lack of, turnover of management, constant rebuilding and not adapting our system to our players, or getting the wrong type of players to play our system!!!! i don't fault the players. they bring it every night. i fault the organization for all their miss steps. we've had some very good players come through here, unfortunaltely we didn't know it until they were given a chance with a real nhl franchise!!!!
let's see if they actually give tallon a chance and if it works out. hopefully we are in the beginning stages of a real move in the right direction. only time will tell and next year will be a good indication as to whether we are on the right track!!!! unfortunately we'll probably have to give it about another 3 years before we can really judge.

Old
04-28-2011, 07:04 PM
PBPantherfan
Here we go again

Quote:

They scored in the second not OT. Was a beautiful pass and goal but not in OT.

Old
04-28-2011, 09:03 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBPantherfan View Post
They scored in the second not OT. Was a beautiful pass and goal but not in OT.
Yep, I misread the boxscore.

Old
04-29-2011, 08:04 AM
harv3317

chris higgins game winner 1st game round 2. goal 1st game round 1.

Old
04-29-2011, 12:19 PM
FlaPanthers7

Looks like Buffalo just signed Ruff to a multiyear extension, taking him off the potential market.

Old
04-29-2011, 02:22 PM
BabyJagrov

Quote:
and c'mon, let's cute nate a little slack. 3 goals, two OT winners in his first playoff series? ok, let's agree to go with good for now and see how the rest of the playoffs play out.

i will admit it was a little bittersweet listening to him talking about how much he is loving the playoffs in his interview from the bench as we made our way out of the arena. i don't begrudge him anything though; the guy had done his time, seen enough and wanted to play for a real franchise. i actually think he made a pretty smart move.

really only goes to show that we have had some good players here. even alleged "dead wood" (as many fans on these boards - not just in our corner - like to say) players can have an impact when utilized correctly.
Nathan is a "I quit" type of person... That's what he is, and what he'll always be ! Sure he enjoys the playoffs, who doesn't ? You're the same smart boy who must make pretty smart moves in life.

He is still the same player he was here, and that's a good one... But his play in this series only warrant the term "good" because he was lucky and in the right spot at the right time... He didn't muster a lot for the second coming of Neely and the new Bruins playoffs beast...

I don't see the deadwood in Luongo and Horton, they never were considered as such by the fans ! Moore ? He isn't deadwood, he is a serviceable player who just never achieves to find a home... 8 teams in 12 years or so...

Roberto doesn't have what it takes IMO... I don't think prima donas are rewarded in the NHL, and Roberto is the epitome of that IMO

I like the guy when he was a kid with us... But you could see the cocky-nature already ! It has gotten to a whole new level and I don't want him to succeed ever.

Old
04-29-2011, 03:33 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJagrov View Post
Nathan is a "I quit" type of person... That's what he is, and what he'll always be ! Sure he enjoys the playoffs, who doesn't ? You're the same smart boy who must make pretty smart moves in life.

He is still the same player he was here, and that's a good one... But his play in this series only warrant the term "good" because he was lucky and in the right spot at the right time... He didn't muster a lot for the second coming of Neely and the new Bruins playoffs beast...

I don't see the deadwood in Luongo and Horton, they never were considered as such by the fans ! Moore ? He isn't deadwood, he is a serviceable player who just never achieves to find a home... 8 teams in 12 years or so...

Roberto doesn't have what it takes IMO... I don't think prima donas are rewarded in the NHL, and Roberto is the epitome of that IMO

I like the guy when he was a kid with us... But you could see the cocky-nature already ! It has gotten to a whole new level and I don't want him to succeed ever.
totally agree. i've watched him a lot over the year and he's the same guy. i don't think he's an "i quit" player but he hasn't really seemed to find the drive to improve his game to the very good/elite level. still, for an off year, he chipped in what, 51 points and is talented enough to be a force in the playoffs? there's nothing wrong with that. maybe he's just destined to be a very good 2nd line guy (versus star/franchise guy we hoped)? hey, nothing wrong with that, really.

let's wait and see what happens with roberto. right now, even tho he ain't playing that well, he's still getting it done. and remember, he does have a gold medal around his neck from the most competitive tournament in the world.

the "dead wood" i'm talking about mostly is the role guys. there was some sentiment that nate was just along for the ride (and thus dead wood) but i'm talking about guys like stiller, higgy (game winning goal last night), devo, moore - guys you need to have but are relied upon too much because we still lack quality depth.

Old
04-29-2011, 03:59 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Let's Go Bruins!!

Good luck to Greg, Nate, and Dennis! A New York sports fan has never been as big a fan of a Boston team as I am now because of you...don't make it for nothing please!!!

If they don't I obviously hope The Florida Canucks win. As long as Philly and Detroit don't win. Nothing against 99% of the Wings, I just don't want Bertuzzi's name on THE cup.

Old
04-29-2011, 05:25 PM
BabyJagrov

Quote:
totally agree. i've watched him a lot over the year and he's the same guy. i don't think he's an "i quit" player but he hasn't really seemed to find the drive to improve his game to the very good/elite level. still, for an off year, he chipped in what, 51 points and is talented enough to be a force in the playoffs? there's nothing wrong with that. maybe he's just destined to be a very good 2nd line guy (versus star/franchise guy we hoped)? hey, nothing wrong with that, really.

let's wait and see what happens with roberto. right now, even tho he ain't playing that well, he's still getting it done. and remember, he does have a gold medal around his neck from the most competitive tournament in the world.

the "dead wood" i'm talking about mostly is the role guys. there was some sentiment that nate was just along for the ride (and thus dead wood) but i'm talking about guys like stiller, higgy (game winning goal last night), devo, moore - guys you need to have but are relied upon too much because we still lack quality depth.
"I quit" guy because he didn't want to be a part of it... To me not thinking you can't turn this thing around by yourself is a failure and a sign of weak character !

He isn't a force in this playoffs... Guys like Peverley, Kelly, Marchand, Ryder should have scored those goals because of their effort and tenacity ! Horton used his big body on the first OT one, and his awesome shot on the second... To some people being opportunist and scoring the clinching goal is a sign of a good playoffs. As always with Nathan, it isn't... You want more out of him, and even if Boston managed to get out of the trap the Habs were burying them in, if they don't get past Philly, it will still be a failure in Boston !

We managed good value out of that deadwood... They were deadwood because they were playing on a non-playoffs team ! If we were in the 6th spot the last few years, they would have been viewed as serviceable depth players... Just like they are on their teams, and so they are able to shine one game or two on the road to the Stanley Cup because you know your top guys won't get it done every nights !

Those depth guys are always available in free-agency and we always managed to get them, and they are good ones too ! Higgins, Stillman, Moore, Dvorak, Leopold and co, we all managed to sign them in free-agency and shipped them for good value IMO

Those guys won't be a problem with Dale Tallon around... I want to see how he'll managed to improve our scoring, that's the interesting part !

Will he sign a great puck-moving defenseman to add to our promising blueline and also get some nice depth-players to complement our core presently...

Will he make a big trade for an impact forward ? Will he make an underrated one and net us a better "Santorelli-surprise" player ?

On another news, too bad for the Lindy Ruff extension but glad Santos made the comments about Torchetti and them bringing one of their guys to coach the team being an "overthinking" type of conclusion !

Old
04-29-2011, 09:29 PM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJagrov View Post
Those depth guys are always available in free-agency and we always managed to get them, and they are good ones too ! Higgins, Stillman, Moore, Dvorak, Leopold and co, we all managed to sign them in free-agency and shipped them for good value IMO
Moore, empty net goal today, what a scramble.

JOL

Old
05-04-2011, 08:29 AM
harv3317

moore is playing like a beast. another goal and very effective over all and on the pk. wonder why he hasn't stuck with a team. i'm thinking tampa resigns him.

Last edited by harv3317: 05-05-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old
05-13-2011, 11:11 AM
FlaPanthers7

As if we need any more of a reminder of Tallon's blunder, Isles lock up Grabner for 5 years:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-wp4822

Closed Thread