HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

2012-2013 News Around the NHL thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2011, 04:00 PM
RainingRats

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GernBlanston View Post
TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
Bryzgalov contract with PHI is done. 9 years, $51 million.

Figured that's what all this was leading up to, and we'd hear about it quickly. Not sure I thought we'd here it THIS fast...

Now I wanna see what kind of $$ Philly has tied up as they stand now...
9 years is ridiculous. Goalies signed this long is a dangerous move. Here's to hoping this becomes a terrible contract!

Old
06-23-2011, 04:03 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Kings are looking to get Statsny too...WOW!
Link? Do they even need him? What could Colorado want that LA is going to move? Doughty(extremely doubtful)? The rich get richer :/

Old
06-23-2011, 04:05 PM
Boooooth10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
LA got the center they needed, and Columbus got the center they needed for Nash, and we still need more than just a center. Philly made out well in these deals as well, as they got younger, but didnt lose that much talent. These deals really hurt us because it looks like they wont need to move Versteeg now, and even given Bryzgalov ridiculous money, they can still re-sign Leino.
But aren't they both shooters?

Old
06-23-2011, 04:06 PM
vipersno8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
There's more than one way to build a team. I also said it isn't a viable way to build a team but you'd be dumb if you think acquiring star players for prospects is a bad move. I'd much rather have Richards than whatever our equivalent of Schenn+Simmonds is.

Also, Tallon is pretty overrated as a GM in Chicago. He had two pretty much gimmie picks in Kane and Toews, central pieces of that team. Don't forget Duncan Keith was already there. He made some excellent trades but his other draft picks have pretty much been disappointments. But feel free to believe Tallon is a very good GM. He's not. I like his personality but so far he hasn't been very good (but to be fair, not much to judge him on).
There is more than one way to build a team I agree, but having a GM with a track record of building a great team through the draft (Whether you think he was lucky with picks and player, many say he was the major factor in turning the blackhawks around), you still need some form of prospect depth before considering trading for superstars, so you can build around them, don't you??

Old
06-23-2011, 04:06 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Flyers are a worse team at this point, even with Bryzgalov signed. Also, Leino is being so overrated as he's talked about as a key part of their team. He's had one good year and the Flyers could have lived without him and not missed a step IMO.

Old
06-23-2011, 04:11 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipersno8 View Post
There is more than one way to build a team I agree, but having a GM with a track record of building a great team through the draft (Whether you think he was lucky with picks and player, many say he was the major factor in turning the blackhawks around), you still need some form of prospect depth before considering trading for superstars, so you can build around them, don't you??
our prospect depth is insane

Old
06-23-2011, 04:15 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Flyers are a worse team at this point, even with Bryzgalov signed. Also, Leino is being so overrated as he's talked about as a key part of their team. He's had one good year and the Flyers could have lived without him and not missed a step IMO.
I think they aren't going to be as dominating during the regular season but they should be a better playoff team. Claude G and JVR will be better. They might be able to trade the #8 for a roster player. Leino is a good second line player. The D is still good. They're definitely weaker down the middle for now. Schenn is a stud and Simmonds can pot 20 goals.

Old
06-23-2011, 04:17 PM
vipersno8

Quote:
It is now, after Tallon picked us up 13 players in last years draft and you were talking about trading away his first round pick!

Old
06-23-2011, 04:19 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipersno8 View Post
It is now, after Tallon picked us up 13 players in last years draft and you were talking about trading away his first round pick!
what?

Old
06-23-2011, 04:20 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Link? Do they even need him? What could Colorado want that LA is going to move? Doughty(extremely doubtful)? The rich get richer :/
Bernier + is the offer, from the moron of course (Eklund).

Dreger said the Flyers wanted Kadri and Kulemin for Richards, but Tor never heard back from Philly.

And Eklund is saying a big deal involving the Leafs could happen before the draft.

Nothing regarding the Panthers

Old
06-23-2011, 04:21 PM
vipersno8

Quote:
I think they aren't going to be as dominating during the regular season but they should be a better playoff team. Claude G and JVR will be better. They might be able to trade the #8 for a roster player. Leino is a good second line player. The D is still good. They're definitely weaker down the middle for now. Schenn is a stud and Simmonds can pot 20 goals.
You think he will step up to NHL next year?? Struggled in AHL this year didn't he! interesting to see if he fills the voids left!

Old
06-23-2011, 04:23 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
we might just lay low here for a bit guys.

Old
06-23-2011, 04:58 PM
gizmo12688

vCash: 50
Quote:
Joe Nieuwendyk asked Brad Richards to waive his no-move clause today. Richards declined.
-Dreger

Hmm.....interesting....

Wonder if Nieuwendyk had a deal ready to go

Old
06-23-2011, 06:26 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
9 years is ridiculous. Goalies signed this long is a dangerous move. Here's to hoping this becomes a terrible contract!
At 31 yrs old, its not that dangerous really. He'd be 40 when the contract would expire so its conceivable he'd be able to continue playing well at least thru 7 of those 9 yrs. Which is perfect because those last 2 seasons are rather cheap salary-wise...so if they decide to buy him out, it will be cheap to do so. Even still, they could trade him after 4 yrs to a team needing a good veteran starter.

Old
06-23-2011, 07:51 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
At 31 yrs old, its not that dangerous really. He'd be 40 when the contract would expire so its conceivable he'd be able to continue playing well at least thru 7 of those 9 yrs. Which is perfect because those last 2 seasons are rather cheap salary-wise...so if they decide to buy him out, it will be cheap to do so. Even still, they could trade him after 4 yrs to a team needing a good veteran starter.
See Rick Dipietro

Old
06-23-2011, 08:05 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Maybe the Flyers will use that 8th pick for something even better.

As of now, Bryzgalov contract reminds me of Vanek contract.

I have no idea why the Richards deal happened.

Old
06-23-2011, 08:39 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
See Rick Dipietro
For what? Two completely different circumstances. Dipietro's deal wasnt front-loaded (evenly spaced out) and like I said, they could just trade Bryz after 4 yrs when a lot of the salary has been paid out and salary is basically same as cap hit at that pt. Plus Bryz has proven a lot more to deserve that contract than what Dipietro had proven to get his deal.

Old
06-23-2011, 10:25 PM
Erick

The Flyers basically traded two #1 centers, and gave a goaltender a contract for the next decade.

Definitely not the way to build in this new NHL.

They'll definitely be worse next year, and might be worse long-term if these young forwards they're counting on don't develop as expected.

I don't see why they did this; Bobrovsky probably would've developed into a fine goaltender. As a matter of fact, if we lose Vokoun, I wouldn't mind trading for Bobrovsky.

Old
06-23-2011, 10:39 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
The Flyers basically traded two #1 centers, and gave a goaltender a contract for the next decade.

Definitely not the way to build in this new NHL.

They'll definitely be worse next year, and might be worse long-term if these young forwards they're counting on don't develop as expected.

I don't see why they did this; Bobrovsky probably would've developed into a fine goaltender. As a matter of fact, if we lose Vokoun, I wouldn't mind trading for Bobrovsky.
Bobrovsky self-destructed down the stretch and in the playoffs. Bryz at least has performed well in the playoffs before and is a top 5 goalie in the league. A team like Philly needs a vet goalie, they can't be patient with Bobrovsky, they need to win now. That's the price they paid for making the Pronger trade.

Old
06-23-2011, 10:53 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Bobrovsky self-destructed down the stretch and in the playoffs. Bryz at least has performed well in the playoffs before and is a top 5 goalie in the league. A team like Philly needs a vet goalie, they can't be patient with Bobrovsky, they need to win now. That's the price they paid for making the Pronger trade.

If they want to win now, trading proven veterans like Mike Richards and Jeff Carter isn't going to help.

It's been proven the last couple of years that you don't necessarily need a good goaltender to win the Cup; you just need a goaltender to get hot at the right time.

It's going to be much more difficult to replace the production they got over the years from Carter/Richards.

Old
06-23-2011, 10:57 PM
zeroG

Quote:
depth is good but nhl team is not. therein lies the rub. poster's point was a good one.

Old
06-24-2011, 12:51 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Bobrovsky wore down during final stretch of season and lost confidance when his coach pulled him and made him #3 goalie after 1 good playoff game and 1 bad playoff game

I put more of that on Lavi then Bobrovsky

Bobrovsky went from 35 games in KHL to 54 GP for Flyers this years (Plus appearnces in 6 playoff games).... You cant expect a kid coming from KHL who played in 30+ games twice in his career to not struggle with conditioning during long playoff year. And you dont demote him to #3 on depth chart behind Michael ####### Leighton and expect his confidence to not take a hit

These trades today made it less likely the Flyers win now or in coming years ,, So the Pronger/Timmonan deals look horrid

Flyers as of today are not better then Bruins , Lightning , Capitals or Penguins

And when has Bryzgalov performed well in playoffs? As a backup behind a stacked defensive Duck team?

Old
06-24-2011, 02:25 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
If they want to win now, trading proven veterans like Mike Richards and Jeff Carter isn't going to help.

It's been proven the last couple of years that you don't necessarily need a good goaltender to win the Cup; you just need a goaltender to get hot at the right time.

It's going to be much more difficult to replace the production they got over the years from Carter/Richards.
They definitely went from one extreme to the other wrt their goaltending, and you can debate the wisdom of that. But let's face it, this summer's goalie market is weak, and now they are guaranteed good goaltending. That was their only real problem, and they remedied it.

Briere and Giroux are great top 6 centers. Schenn will be fine as the 3rd center. Yes there is a risk associated with what they did, it is dependent on the youth panning out. But at least now they have a chance to win the Cup. If the youth does pan out, then they were better than they were before. What they were doing wasn't working anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Bobrovsky wore down during final stretch of season and lost confidance when his coach pulled him and made him #3 goalie after 1 good playoff game and 1 bad playoff game

I put more of that on Lavi then Bobrovsky

Bobrovsky went from 35 games in KHL to 54 GP for Flyers this years (Plus appearnces in 6 playoff games).... You cant expect a kid coming from KHL who played in 30+ games twice in his career to not struggle with conditioning during long playoff year. And you dont demote him to #3 on depth chart behind Michael ####### Leighton and expect his confidence to not take a hit

These trades today made it less likely the Flyers win now or in coming years ,, So the Pronger/Timmonan deals look horrid

Flyers as of today are not better then Bruins , Lightning , Capitals or Penguins

And when has Bryzgalov performed well in playoffs? As a backup behind a stacked defensive Duck team?
I'm not saying Bobrovsky's struggles as a young goalie aren't warranted. The point is, with Bryzgalov they don't have to worry about that. You can debate whether the trades today made the Flyers better now or not. I personally like what they did. But to say it's lesss likely now that they'll be better in the future is folly. They made sure today that they will be good for a long time. If anything, they got better for the future, even if it in fact does make them worse in the immediate term. But if Voracek improves and Schenn pans out, then they definitely got better in the immediate. Because now they have a goalie who won't lose them games. With that defense in front of him, Bryzgalov is going to be pretty freaking hard to beat. Their offense is still very good. People are acting like they just traded Gretzky and Lemieux, they'll be fine.

Bryzgalov has played well in Ahaheim when Giguere has been injured in the playoffs, and he wasn't even that bad two years ago. In any case, he'll be better than any Flyers goalie in the playoffs has been for the last several years. And you're saying Anaheim's defense was stacked? And Philly's isn't? Hey, remember that Pronger guy from Anaheim?

Old
06-24-2011, 07:44 AM
FlaPanthers7

Looks like Tallon inquired about both Carter and Richards but didn't have the firepower to pull off the trade(s):

He admitted that he was interested in Flyers captain Mike Richards and Jeff Carter, who were traded to the Kings and Blue Jackets respectively, but apparently Philadelphia wasn’t thrilled by what he had to offer.

“I made a lot of dandy trades last night, but then I woke up,’’ Tallon joked.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...tinel+Blogs%29

Old
06-24-2011, 08:03 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
Looks like Tallon inquired about both Carter and Richards but didn't have the firepower to pull off the trade(s):

He admitted that he was interested in Flyers captain Mike Richards and Jeff Carter, who were traded to the Kings and Blue Jackets respectively, but apparently Philadelphia wasn’t thrilled by what he had to offer.

“I made a lot of dandy trades last night, but then I woke up,’’ Tallon joked.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_hockey_panthers/2011/06/panthers-cant-go-wrong-with-any-of-top-3-prospects.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=fe ed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+panthersblog+%28Florida+Pa nthers+|+Sun-Sentinel+Blogs%29
Lately Fialkov has been doing a nice job. He's really come a long way since his first day on the beat.

If you are reading this Harvey, keep up the good work.

Closed Thread