HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

2012-2013 News Around the NHL thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-15-2011, 08:12 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
@mirtle James Mirtle
Police confirm former Vancouver Canucks tough guy Rick Rypien has been found dead in his Alberta home. More to come.

RIP.
Oh wow. What an offseason for NHL players R.I.P.

Old
08-15-2011, 08:30 PM
Laus723
Future Now

WTF? Saddened by this. I really liked him as a player, LOVED him as a fighter. Sucks.

08-15-2011, 09:12 PM
Holy Jokinen

Terrible news. I kept hoping someone would reveal this as some sort of sick twitter joke, but unfortunately that's not the case. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Old
08-16-2011, 10:51 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
What in the hell? I just read this...
Sad.

Old
08-17-2011, 08:37 AM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

Unfortunately, it looks to be a suicide as he was battling depression for many years

Old
08-17-2011, 09:19 AM
Takkie
I Goc ya nose!

http://i.imgur.com/IfDqD.jpg
14th ?!

Old
08-17-2011, 02:35 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takkie View Post
We're gonna have to do something before we get any respect. I'd be shocked if we finished 14th or 15th but at this point we are the boy who cried wolf. I agree with the top 8 teams and with Ottawa being 15th. I know that every year there are 1 or 2 new teams in the playoffs in each conference, but in the East I really don't see it this season. I think it's going to be very hard to unseat one of the playoff teams from last season. The top teams are pretty much untouchable and the 6-8 teams all improved. From 9-14 I think it's going to be tight and really, anything could happen. I don't think we'll finish 14th, I see us anywhere from 9-11, but 13th is certainly possible if we don't gel well/get good performances from specific players.

Old
08-17-2011, 05:26 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

I don't believe non-Panthers fans fully understand how much of a change of roster this is from what we had just five months ago. All they see is that we have Theodore in goal instead of Vokoun and figure "That's another last place finish for them." I'm not putting too much stock into making the playoffs either, but I certainly think that it's a better group than say what Ottawa, Winnipeg, or the Islanders have. I'm predicting that we finish in 9th or 10th, but until we actually show progress through results, nobody on the outside is going to give us the respect just yet.

Old
08-31-2011, 04:57 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Word is Belak found dead in a Toronto Hotel Room.

Man... nuts. A lot of deaths this off season, and oddly a lot of the enforcer type.

Old
08-31-2011, 06:04 PM
MickOlax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booootthh View Post
Word is Belak found dead in a Toronto Hotel Room.

Man... nuts. A lot of deaths this off season, and oddly a lot of the enforcer type.
I'm starting to wonder this as well. Is this really just a coincidence?

RIP Belak! All the thoughts and prayers to his family.

-L-

Old
09-06-2011, 03:32 AM
billysbreakdown

vCash: 235
http://www2.tbo.com/sports/2011/sep/...ade-ar-255585/

This is pretty awesome for the Bolts.

Old
09-06-2011, 05:04 AM
Boooooth10

"Tampa Bay owner Jeff Vinik, who initially is using his own money to pay for the upgrades, signed off on installing a pair of 25-foot Tesla coils that will hang from the ceiling in opposite corners and shoot a bolt of live electricity. The coils will be 5 feet larger than the one on display at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry."

That sounds so awesome.

Old
09-06-2011, 10:09 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boooooth10 View Post
"Tampa Bay owner Jeff Vinik, who initially is using his own money to pay for the upgrades, signed off on installing a pair of 25-foot Tesla coils that will hang from the ceiling in opposite corners and shoot a bolt of live electricity. The coils will be 5 feet larger than the one on display at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry."

That sounds so awesome.
It does sound kinda cool but could also be very dangerous too. We're talking about high voltage electricity indoors near plenty of metal (esp in the rafters where I'm sure they're being installed) and then you have the crowd below. From what I just read, "Tesla coil's streamers can be very harmful. If you are shocked by the streamers, you will not feel pain, but your circulatory and nervous system can sustain severe damage." So you wouldnt even know that you've been shocked and you can sustain injuries. I know they're consulting with people to make sure its safe but I'm not so sure I'd feel safe in that arena with something like that and I could see the potential for future lawsuits.

Old
09-06-2011, 10:45 AM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 117
I can't imagine they would do something like that if there was much chance of someone getting hurt because of them.

Old
09-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

I'm sure they've thought of all that (they better for liability's sake). They have to take into consideration breakdown voltage of air, humidity constraints, etc to control where the bolt will actually go. I'd almost wonder if they plan on containing it in an insulative material of some sort to mitigate potential strikes outside the controlled area.

Either way, really cool idea.

Old
09-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther View Post
I'm sure they've thought of all that (they better for liability's sake). They have to take into consideration breakdown voltage of air, humidity constraints, etc to control where the bolt will actually go. I'd almost wonder if they plan on containing it in an insulative material of some sort to mitigate potential strikes outside the controlled area.

Either way, really cool idea.
Yeah now that you mention that, you're probably right. I couldnt see them not doing some kind of containment unit to keep it from any accidental situations. A simple glass tube would probably suffice and still give them the desired effect and safety.

Old
09-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Laus723
Future Now

New Jets jerseys.

Old
09-06-2011, 05:18 PM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Oh for sure, it even says right on the front of the bottle that taken with alcohol may be fatal. One standard pill(I forget the mG) every 4-6 hrs. is a strong dose. If he took 8 pills and a glass of wine he'd be a goner for sure.
It looks like it was Derek Boogaard's brother, Aaron, who gave him pills (from July):
"NHL enforcer Derek Boogaard had been out of drug rehab for just one day before his younger brother gave him an unprescribed narcotic pain pill at the start of an evening of night-clubbing, drug-taking and heavy drinking that resulted in his death, prosecutors alleged Friday."

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/stor...s-player-death

JOL

Old
09-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jol View Post
It looks like it was Derek Boogaard's brother, Aaron, who gave him pills (from July):
"NHL enforcer Derek Boogaard had been out of drug rehab for just one day before his younger brother gave him an unprescribed narcotic pain pill at the start of an evening of night-clubbing, drug-taking and heavy drinking that resulted in his death, prosecutors alleged Friday."

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/stor...s-player-death

JOL
Do people even read labels anymore? What a senseless death.

Old
09-06-2011, 09:12 PM
Coolburn

I'm not sure what to make of the rumored demands of Kyle Turris from Phoenix. But I wonder if Tallon would look into trading for him if it was a possibility. Maybe a deal based around Matthias and Repik? I don't think he deserves what he's asking for but I think part of his demands are because he wasn't going to get a fair shot at icetime in PHX combined with the uncertainty of ownership. If we could get him signed to something in the $2-2.5M range even on a short term deal, I'd be pretty damn interested in that.

http://www.lockerpulse.com/News/Coyo...Phoenix-Coyote

Old
09-06-2011, 09:37 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boooooth10 View Post

That sounds so awesome.
The Tesla coils are such an awesome idea if they can pull it off! (As long as everyone wears a Faraday suit )Nikola Tesla is a personal hero for me, the guy was an absolute genius. We can all thank him everytime we plug something into a power outlet as he brought us AC current. Besides, Tesla coils rock!

Old
09-06-2011, 10:19 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
New Jets jerseys.

I was waiting to the see the jerseys before I formed a full opinion on the new logo. Now that I have seen it, I don't like it. It's boring and lacking any artistic value. Can someone just silk-screen the old logo on the new jerseys?

Old
09-10-2011, 11:26 AM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

Just a question for you all. So, I just did a fantasy hockey draft, my Internet connection went out for a second while it was my turn for the first pick, and it autodrafts Crosby Strange since I made sure not to put him in my Top 25 when pre-ranking. Of course everyone in the league starts writing in how much of a dumbass I am

Anyway, I've read quite a few different stories lately on his return. Most say that he'll miss the first two or three months, some say he may miss the whole season, and I believe I read in one place that he may actually start the season. I figured you all would be the best to ask at this point what the likely answer would be.

I really was hoping that he wouldn't come back all season, but for fantasy purposes, I guess I have to change my tune.

Thanks

Old
09-11-2011, 10:30 AM
jol

Todd Fedoruk, alcohol and drugs:

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2011...er=rss&emc=rss

Interesting thing, what is NHL testing:
"Even with cocaine in his system, Fedoruk said he never failed a drug test. He also said he never took hard drugs with other NHL players."

JOL

Old
09-11-2011, 05:39 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPnthrsPunk View Post
Just a question for you all. So, I just did a fantasy hockey draft, my Internet connection went out for a second while it was my turn for the first pick, and it autodrafts Crosby Strange since I made sure not to put him in my Top 25 when pre-ranking. Of course everyone in the league starts writing in how much of a dumbass I am

Anyway, I've read quite a few different stories lately on his return. Most say that he'll miss the first two or three months, some say he may miss the whole season, and I believe I read in one place that he may actually start the season. I figured you all would be the best to ask at this point what the likely answer would be.

I really was hoping that he wouldn't come back all season, but for fantasy purposes, I guess I have to change my tune.

Thanks
Best case scenario, see David Booth. Worst case scenario, see Marc Savard. No one really knows except Crosby and his doctors. The Penguins said they are being extremely cautious about bringing him back and I expect him to not play for at least the first two months. Who knows really.
Hang on to him and put him on IR as soon as Yahoo lists him as injured. Then you will have a free roster spot to pick up another forward, maybe Bobby Butler as he could have a big season this year with Ottawa and is still a free agent.
This is the SSH league you are in right? My team is "Jesus Lizard".

Closed Thread