HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Derek Meech (cleared)

Old
09-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Vitto79

vCash: 500
they just signed the guy. Why did they not just walk away?

oh well at 500K the dude should be picked up as a 6/7 Dman

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 03:47 PM
damesh

Maybe he'll get picked up by the Lake Erie Monsters. I'm sure they can come to some sort of agreement. An accord, if you will.

damesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 06:07 PM
JRB86

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFMAN99 View Post
Or is Meech the next Kyle Quincy?
He goes to Calgary and becomes Dion Phaneuf dont tell the other Wings fans this though they may cry if they find out Ken Holland is giving up another superstar D-man like Quincey, or an amazing clutch performer like Leino

JRB86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 06:24 PM
Dogkota

I'm genuinely surprised that Holland wasn't able to garner a late pick for Meech. He'd definitely be a serviceable #7 on a team with shallow defense for 500k, and he's reasonable versatile.

I'll be shocked if he clears. There's got to be a job in the NHL for him somewhere.

Dogkota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 06:28 PM
solo16

Poor mans brian rafalski. Bashers just hating. He has looked good when placed in a top 4 role (once or twice) and is a comparable talent to Quincey. Actually he is quite a bit more offensively gifted then Quincey but lacks the body/physical skills. He is ok at defense nothing spectacular.

Give the kid 80 games in the top 4 hes an above average offensive dman who can run a powerplay. He is marginally useful on the bottom pair. Poor man Brian Rafalski is really a perfect analogy.

Find him a tough defensive partner and he might hold down a second pair reasonably well with a little bit of confidence (ala Kyle Quincey).

There is a reason he beat out Kyle Quincey. He does have talent. Unfortunate for him (Ericsson, Kindl, Smith are a dream team of defensive prospects all maturing right past him).

solo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 06:30 PM
solo16

Dupe

Last edited by solo16: 09-08-2010 at 06:32 PM. Reason: dupe
solo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 06:35 PM
MISC*
Negged.

Fack.

Funny story: Colton Orr and I were in Meech's dad's class together in grade 9, 10 and 11.

Mr. Meech at Garden City Collegiatte was the best teacher I ever had. What an amzing man. Always wanted his son to do well in NHL.

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 08:14 PM
sparr0w

Meech is better than Lebda and Quincey, he just never got a crack at a roster spot apart from when injuries decimated the defense. A couple years ago when the bulk of the top 4 was injured he spent a couple days actually leading the Wings in ice time and played very very well. He's one of those players that thrives in a large role, but can't adapt well to sparse playing time. Doesn't help that he spent more time on the 4th line last season than on defense.

Smartest move out there would be for Burke do make a claim and let him play with Phaneuf again. They were great together in Juniors (at Red Deer and the WJC).

sparr0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 08:53 PM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFranzenator View Post
Ha, trust me not even close. For one, the guy has no physical game at all and really that's about all you need to know for that comparison to fall flat on its face.
I didn't know you could see into the future, what else does your crystal ball say? ANYTHING could happen with Meech. Give him top 4 time with PP time and who's to say he's incapable of Quincey-like numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD View Post
Hes Brett Lebda with out speed.
Oh man that's harsh.. You're saying he has no abilities at all?

kuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Frozen Fiend
DOUBLE D

Edit, nvm... bad sarcasm detector.

Frozen Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 09:10 PM
gcdc14

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo16 View Post
Poor mans brian rafalski. Bashers just hating. He has looked good when placed in a top 4 role (once or twice) and is a comparable talent to Quincey. Actually he is quite a bit more offensively gifted then Quincey but lacks the body/physical skills. He is ok at defense nothing spectacular.

Give the kid 80 games in the top 4 hes an above average offensive dman who can run a powerplay. He is marginally useful on the bottom pair. Poor man Brian Rafalski is really a perfect analogy.

Find him a tough defensive partner and he might hold down a second pair reasonably well with a little bit of confidence (ala Kyle Quincey).

There is a reason he beat out Kyle Quincey. He does have talent. Unfortunate for him (Ericsson, Kindl, Smith are a dream team of defensive prospects all maturing right past him).
Meech beat out Quincey on his name alone.
The only reason he was still on the Wings is because he played on that 2004 World Juniors team.
You're right that his offense is the best part of his game.
Unfortunately for him he is below average offensively.
He also has never came close to matching Quincey's offensive output.
Not to mention he is probably one of the worst defensively responsible and physical defensemen in the league.

gcdc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 09:55 PM
JorgeRocks!

Come on Flames...

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 10:38 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
Wow didn't realize this many people like Meechums. I am one of his few fans in Detroit! He had potential, but never really got a shot. I hope he gets picked up, I can't see Yzerman passing on him because at least Yzerman knows his potential.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 12:26 AM
Booba
Bouger les pieds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatar Sauce View Post
I didn't know you could see into the future, what else does your crystal ball say? ANYTHING could happen with Meech. Give him top 4 time with PP time and who's to say he's incapable of Quincey-like numbers.

I don't know much about Meech but with high scores as 38 points in juniors, 29 points in the AHL and 7 points in the NHL, it's tough to picture him as a top 4 defender who could run the PP.

Quincey's numbers were slightly better in the minors, but he had almost 40 points at 23 years old while Meech is already 26 and he has done almost nothing at the NHL level.

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 01:17 AM
Go Wings

Do the Wings a favor and claim him.

Go Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 09:37 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
Meech is better than Lebda and Quincey, he just never got a crack at a roster spot apart from when injuries decimated the defense. A couple years ago when the bulk of the top 4 was injured he spent a couple days actually leading the Wings in ice time and played very very well. He's one of those players that thrives in a large role, but can't adapt well to sparse playing time. Doesn't help that he spent more time on the 4th line last season than on defense.

Smartest move out there would be for Burke do make a claim and let him play with Phaneuf again. They were great together in Juniors (at Red Deer and the WJC).
You simply are incorrect.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 10:20 AM
gotmonte

Maybe cause Big Meech, thought he was Larry Hoover.. ANd MC Hammer too? lol

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Kosikarzzz

Send a message via MSN to Kosikarzzz Send a message via Skype™ to Kosikarzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
Maybe cause Big Meech, thought he was Larry Hoover.. ANd MC Hammer too? lol
...one nation...under god!

That song keeps going through my head everytime I think of Meech!

Kosikarzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Teemu

kausatoday
Detroit D Derek Meech cleared waivers, meaning he will fight for a spot in training camp.

Teemu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 12:56 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
kausatoday
Detroit D Derek Meech cleared waivers, meaning he will fight for a spot in training camp.
I was wondering what happens next. I wasn't sure if he still had to go to camp, report to Grand Rapids, or hit the free agent market at this late stage of the game.

Mike Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 08:40 AM
shadoz19

Seems like a smart move by Holland. Waive him now when no one is interested and wait till the end of camp and you might get something for him. Had Holland waited till the end of camp waive Meech, he would have been guaranteed nothing by trade.

shadoz19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 09:29 AM
GoFlames

Too bad, a couple years back I thought Meech would do well in the league but he comes cheap...

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 10:12 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoz19 View Post
Seems like a smart move by Holland. Waive him now when no one is interested and wait till the end of camp and you might get something for him. Had Holland waited till the end of camp waive Meech, he would have been guaranteed nothing by trade.
I'm pretty sure if a player stays on the roster for a set number of days he will have to be waived again to be sent down.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 10:28 AM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
I'm pretty sure if a player stays on the roster for a set number of days he will have to be waived again to be sent down.
Yup that is correct. Calgary will have to put Kotalik on waivers again as it has been over (I think 30 days?) since he cleared.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote