HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derek Meech

Old
09-08-2010, 11:38 AM
The Yzerman
1983 - 4th Overall

vCash: 1225
Derek Meech

Waived as per Bobby Mac's Twitter. Credit goes to user Marc the Habs Fan.

Dominos anyone?

Last edited by The Yzerman: 09-08-2010 at 11:53 AM. Reason: I had to give credit where credit was due
The Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 11:53 AM
Fugu

vCash:
Yup, they're going to sign Lilja for peanuts because no one else would.

(Speculation on my part.)

Old
09-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Heaton
#hope

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post

Would be a fantastic signing if it did happen.

Much better than a 1.45m #8 defensemen.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 11:57 AM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Quote:

Wouldn't mind that

*Ducks for cover*

TOPGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Would be a pathetic move. No longer a meritocracy, but a bunch of good ol boys looking out for each other.

Blech.

Old
09-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Heaton
#hope

Quote:
Would be a pathetic move. No longer a meritocracy, but a bunch of good ol boys looking out for each other.

Blech.
For sure. Having Lilja in GR for emergency purposes would be completely awful when Doug Janik is there! God knows GR has the best defensive core in the AHL. Why mess it up by adding 'Lilly pads'!

(nice thread hijack btw Fugu).

Old
09-08-2010, 12:44 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
For sure. Having Lilja in GR for emergency purposes would be completely awful when Doug Janik is there! God knows GR has the best defensive core in the AHL. Why mess it up by adding 'Lilly pads'!

It's much better for Smith, Lashoff, Pyett, Kolosov, etc to get big minutes down there than to give 20 minutes a night to

How ironic, if he can't even crack an AHL top 4!

Also, Kyle Quincey.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 12:57 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:

Blech.
Does the NHL award an extra roster spot if the Wings sign Lilja?

If not, and Detroit has to play with the 23 man roster everyone else does, they aren't going to sign Lilja.

Waiving Meech takes them from 24 to 23 NHLers, not including Maltby (who will obviously start in GR unless injuries occur before the season starts.

Heck, that 23 doesn't include Ritola either, so Detroit still has to waive another skater... which may end up being Ritola.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 01:12 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:

He said something about dominoes. Ergo, speculation was invited. Thus, not a hijack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
It's much better for Smith, Lashoff, Pyett, Kolosov, etc to get big minutes down there than to give 20 minutes a night to

How ironic, if he can't even crack an AHL top 4!

Also, Kyle Quincey.
That would be a hijack, Heater.

Besides, Heater, if they needed that depth, they would have signed him, but noooooooo, Lils thought he was too good to be a bottom pairing D. Perhaps he thought they should boot Stuart or Kronwall so he could have that spot, it would even save them $1.5-2m over the cost of one of those guys. Amiright?

I won't rest until he signs elsewhere, because I know that Holland is a softy and signs powder puffs because they can't find NHL jobs.

Pffffffffffffffffffffffftttttttttttttttttt.

Old
09-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Well who didnt see this comin.

he'll be in Grand Rapids and probably will prob be 1st call up. I doubt anyone claims him.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 01:19 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Besides, Heater, if they needed that depth, they would have signed him, but noooooooo, Lils thought he was too good to be a bottom pairing D. Perhaps he thought they should boot Stuart or Kronwall so he could have that spot, it would even save them $1.5-2m over the cost of one of those guys. Amiright?
Two things:

1) Hey, weren't you running around crowing that not having any NHL offers meant Lilja stunk or something? Does knowing he had an NHL offer from Detroit (and idiotically turned it down) turn any of that previous crowing into, well, crow?

2) Is the 'You're out of here if Lilja re-signs' thing still applicable? What if he signs a two-way deal instead, will you just leave the board until the All-Star break, or just while he's on the active NHL roster? Will you do custody like in a divorce and get every other weekend here... what's the setup, anyway?

Old
09-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
Two things:

1) Hey, weren't you running around crowing that not having any NHL offers meant Lilja stunk or something? Does knowing he had an NHL offer from Detroit (and idiotically turned it down) turn any of that previous crowing into, well, crow?
It wouldn't have been the first time I intensely disliked one of the Wings moves (in recent times) in defenseman selections.

Don't make me write out the forbidden names now.

I think it's pretty flattering to my assessments that no one else wanted Lilja at any price, yet the Wings were dumb enough to offer him more than what they ended up paying Salei! Pretty much what I said. He's worthless.

Meanwhile, Lebda and Quincey are smiling.

Quote:
2) Is the 'You're out of here if Lilja re-signs' thing still applicable? What if he signs a two-way deal instead, will you just leave the board until the All-Star break, or just while he's on the active NHL roster? Will you do custody like in a divorce and get every other weekend here... what's the setup, anyway?
I'll be barred from the board for the duration. Fortunately, for me, my parents are in the greater Tampa area, so I'll have to visit them during the season to catch a few games of my "new" team. Thanks to Stevie, I'll still be connected to the Wings in spirit, if not in body (and keyboard).

Old
09-08-2010, 01:34 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
It wouldn't have been the first time I intensely disliked one of the Wings moves (in recent times) in defenseman selections.
You, intensely disliking something the Wings do?

No, I would say that this is certainly not the first time.

Quote:
I think it's pretty flattering to my assessments that no one else wanted Lilja at any price, yet the Wings were dumb enough to offer him more than what they ended up paying Salei! Pretty much what I said.
But you didn't think anyone offered him a deal before, too. Now that we find out Detroit did, which he turned down, you're now believing that nobody else offered him a deal at all?

Why would he have signed similar deals from anywhere else if he wouldn't have signed it in Detroit?

IMO, Lilja got a few offers in line with what he was/is, a depth defenseman, and he wanted a larger role.

Quote:
Meanwhile, Lebda and Quincey are smiling.
They should be. If they were Detroit properties they'd have their names right next to Meech's on the waiver wire today.

Quote:
I'll be barred from the board for the duration. Fortunately, for me, my parents are in the greater Tampa area, so I'll have to visit them during the season to catch a few games of my "new" team. Thanks to Stevie, I'll still be connected to the Wings in spirit, if not in body (and keyboard).
First thing you should do is to teach those fans to nitpick every deal Yzerman makes. It's very important to learn that as soon as possible.

Old
09-08-2010, 01:37 PM
Heaton
#hope

Lilja needs to sign with the Wings today to get some peace and quiet around here. I'll call him the fair weather fan remover! (kidding! )

Old
09-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Fugu

vCash:
I'm pretty confident of my record of nitpicking the defense.

On offense, I think we limited ourselves to the Great Sammy/Hudlum/Flip debates.

And, no, I don't think he received a single offer, or even a nibble, from any other NHL team. Not a one.

Why? Well, when a guy goes on to the press about not understanding why some guys get paid what they get paid while others are in his situation (waiting), and that maybe it's due to teams waiting to drive prices down, etc....... Yah, no nibbles.

Old
09-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Lilja needs to sign with the Wings today to get some peace and quiet around here. I'll call him the fair weather fan remover! (kidding! )

What ever would you guys do without me to stir things up?

Thread was dead until I came along. I could have set a timer to see how long you and HD would wait in the woodwork.

Old
09-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Heaton
#hope

Quote:
What ever would you guys do without me to stir things up?

Thread was dead until I came along. I could have set a timer to see how long you and HD would wait in the woodwork.

That's a tough one. Hard to imagine not spending thousands of posts on depth defensemen. Getting Lilja, Lebda and Quincey out of the Red Wings board vocab? I think I'd be able to adapt.

I'll miss you Fugu.

Last edited by Heaton: 09-08-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old
09-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Roy S

If they could sign Lilja to a 2-way deal and stash him in GR, that would be a good move. He'd be an instant upgrade over what we have in Janik and would just give us more depth. Guys like Kronwall and Salei are injury risks and we need to cover ourselves in case of injury.

I'm not sure if Lilja would agree to that, though.

Roy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 02:37 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
That's a tough one. Hard to imagine not spending thousands of posts on depth defensemen. Getting Lilja, Lebda and Quincey out of the Red Wings board vocab? I think I'd be able to adapt.

I'll miss you Fugu.

I think you more than matched me, word for word.

Yes, you will. Remember what they said about Nixon. Or maybe Nixon said it about Nixon, but he/they were right!

Old
09-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Huddy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Huddy*
Quote:

arent u a fan of lilly pads!!!!!!!!!! wouldnt you like this?

as for meech...dont let the door hit you on the way out.

Huddy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Go Wings

See you later Meech dont let the door hit you on the way out.

Go Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Go Wings

Ritola dont get to comfortable you're next

Go Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Huddy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Huddy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Wings View Post
Ritola dont get to comfortable you're next
eaaaaaasyyyy there tiger...how can you be so sure?

Huddy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Reality Check

So, when do the "Why did we cut Meech/Regrets" threads start?

Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 03:02 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
So, when do the "Why did we cut Meech/Regrets" threads start?

I won't be leading that pack. Shoulda happened back when they shoulda cut Lilly.