HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Breaking in new skates... narrow in the ankle of the boot.

Old
09-03-2010, 02:43 PM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

vCash: 500
Breaking in new skates... narrow in the ankle of the boot.

Hey guys, just bought a new pair of inline Mission Lieutenants (I think an '08 product) from HM a few weeks back. I love the fit in the foot, but I'm having a heck of time getting comfortable in the ankles. I'd always heard that Missions ran a bit narrow in the ankle region compared to other brands (I've always worn Tour for inline, Bauer for ice), but I tried on a pair of '10 Missions at my LHS and figured I would give these a shot considering their clearance price.

My feet/ankles aren't especially wide (I'm wearing the normal width boot, always have), but I was surprised by just how tight these skates were in the uppers section. The skates have been uncomfortably tight on the points of my ankle since I received them. I successfully baked the skate as directed, and have now worn them twice just for general break-in wear.

I now have some pretty nasty blisters/sores on the inside of each of my ankles and can't even put the skates on until these have healed up. Does anyone have any insight on how to expand the ankle of these boots just a bit? Like I said, the rest of the skate fits really well. My friend suggested heating 'em with the heat gun when they're on the boot, but I'm always wary of using a heat gun on a skate, especially since I love the stiffness of the boot (even if it's causing pain for me at the moment).

Can I take these somewhere and have them pounded out a bit without compromising the structure of the boot? Or could I buy some sort of expander at a hardware store, etc? For now I just have a few pucks jammed tightly into the boot right where those pressure points are on the ankle.

Thanks for any feedback!
Max

madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 08:14 PM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

bumpin' this.

Old
09-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
bumpin' this.
Most hockey shops are able to punch out certain parts of skates to help enhance the fit. I'm sure there are plenty of shops in Denver or Denver area that would be able to do this for you. Call them to find out. Players Bench might be one to try.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 07:25 AM
Badger36

Yet another story that proves why you should never buy skates online unless you are absolutely, positively, 100% sure of your size.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 11:48 AM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBucky View Post
Yet another story that proves why you should never buy skates online unless you are absolutely, positively, 100% sure of your size.
Thanks for the insight?

They're the perfect size; it's the break-in period that is a bit troublesome.

Old
09-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
Thanks for the insight?

They're the perfect size; it's the break-in period that is a bit troublesome.
They must not be, or else you wouldnt be asking this question. Im yet to have any issues with the break-in period of skates that I was properly fitted for.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 06:32 PM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

Just skated on 'em today. Awesome fit, light, and stiff as hell. I'd say I got the right size.

Jamming a lacrosse ball in each boot for a week did the trick.

Old
09-10-2010, 10:21 AM
qwertysac

Maybe you know this already, but incase you didnt. Whats the letter next to the size label on your skates?

There will either be D or EE (And i think ive sometimes seen R for inline skates)

Sounds like you might need a wider boot (EE).

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote